DC Films Black Adam (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m a little torn on Fate’s design. I like it but I think it’s a little too… busy? I always thought Fate had one of the coolest helmets in comics and I don’t know why they felt the need to change it. It’s still cool looking but it makes me think of a boss in a Soulsbourne game more than Dr. Fate. Rest of the suit looks good though.

I like the suit overall but the helmet feels overdesigned and I think they've missed a step by leaving out the eye slants, which gives the face of the helmet a very blank look. Eyes are important in live action - I assume we aren't going to be getting Tony Stark-style internal camera shots inside the helmet.

The toy gives an idea of the helmet's look without all the lighting/reflection above.
d275bed206014abd860ad1c84cdbf58flg_f0d6f81c-d0ac-4153-a9b7-32d0d39a7ec2.webp

Something along these lines for the helmet would have been my preferred choice

maxresdefault.jpg

Eh, Mando's helmet doesn't have eyes either and it works just fine. The eyes would've been cool here, but I'm not too worried about it.

Eh, Mando's helmet doesn't have eyes either and it works just fine. The eyes would've been cool here, but I'm not too worried about it.
It doesn't need eyes because it has a visible part where it's clear to the audience that the character who wears it can see from inside. Unlike Doctor Fate's helmet.

It doesn't need eyes because it has a visible part where it's clear to the audience that the character who wears it can see from inside. Unlike Doctor Fate's helmet.

I can’t imagine this will matter much to audiences considering the character is magical in nature.

I don't exactly mind it either, but it would have worked better with a more traditional design, both aesthetically and logically.

And more importantly, it has a visible part that serves as "eyes" on the "face" that is the helmet". You may not be able to see Mando emote, but its still a recognizable "face" to the viewer, and not just a blank lack-of-head.

Having the Helm of Nabu lack eyes, or even a recognizable face of any kind, is certainly a choice. If they are doing it because they intend for Dr Fate to come off as creepy and inhuman, it works. I question whether that is a *good* choice, however, at least for a character who is at least theoretically intended to be heroic.

I can’t imagine this will matter much to audiences considering the character is magical in nature.

It really isn't about plot logic in the first place. Its about what it communicates narratively and emotionally to the audience. All the magic-powered plot explanation in the world doesn't actually change that humans are wired to find and look at faces, and the utter lack of one on the part of a character who otherwise moves and acts like a human being is going to trigger the uncanny valley.

I don’t have a strong enough opinion either way to argue about this. Anecdotally, this is the the first I’ve even seen anyone bring it up, so I don’t think it’ll matter much in the long run. But if it does end up being a problem for folks, then that’s that I guess.

21986679.gif

I just can't gauge what this film is trying to be or is it because i don't really rate Dwayne Johnson.
DC i hope you know what your doing!

I like Dwayne Johnson but I think a lot of the problems I have with some of his films is when he's given too much power & control to make the character he's playing too much like an extension of himself.

His Hobbs character for example in the Fast franchise was at it's best IMO in the first appearance in Fast 5 I think it was. If you watch Fast 5 & then Hobbs & Shaw, they are almost like completely different characters because more of his personality has been infused into the character to the point that it's become a negative.

Hemsworth is on a similar path, the more & more he tries to play characters closer to his own personality, the less I seem to like his portrayal.

It at least has a visor and it goes well with the personalities the characters are supposed to have. This is just one giant gold head peace with questionable designs. But we'll see how it does in the film

I like Dwayne Johnson but I think a lot of the problems I have with some of his films is when he's given too much power & control to make the character he's playing too much like an extension of himself.

His Hobbs character for example in the Fast franchise was at it's best IMO in the first appearance in Fast 5 I think it was. If you watch Fast 5 & then Hobbs & Shaw, they are almost like completely different characters because more of his personality has been infused into the character to the point that it's become a negative.

Hemsworth is on a similar path, the more & more he tries to play characters closer to his own personality, the less I seem to like his portrayal.

Yeah, this is something I noticed recently too. I went back and watched Fast Five again and Hobbs has a bit of a Southern drawl in that movie and a real hardline attitude. In subsequent films, he dropped the drawl (probably a wise choice) and gradually evolved into his typical I’m-badass-but-also-a-big-teddy-bear Dwayne Johnson persona. My guess is, he’ll mostly be Mr. Anti-Hero in Black Adam but one or two movies later, he’ll be indistinguishable from the rest of his usual characters.

Anyone else feel the marketing for this has been strangely muted?

I was starting to think that perhaps WBD would just dump the film next month with limited promo. Obviously that won’t be the case.

Would anyone be surprised if this ends up in the 30-40% range on RT?

I'm bummed we didn't get Hawkgirl. It's Smallville all over again.

Atom Smasher looks like they bought a Deadpool costume from a 20th Century fox closeout sale, and painted it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"