Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness general news and discussion thread

Thing is, when compared to Civil War or Spider-man: No Way Home. It shows that the film could have had more cameos and could have worked fine. Even at their most minimal. We have seen it work before, so there is no excuse really. But for whatever reason though i guess they cut them out. But its not like the Illuminati were used very well anyway. Even by those number of cameos it almost felt like they had already hit their limit as they were not used particularly well. They shortened it down to 5-6 cameos and couldn't even do that very well. Even though they were all in the same scenes.

TBH the film was better without the Illuminati. Sadly they were not the hype point of the film that you would expect them to be. My theater audience didn't really react to them, or their deaths.

You really did have to go into this movie with low expectations. I went in with mild expectations and i liked it. But i did expect a little bit more from it.

I also think a few more quick cameos would have been fine as long as they fit organically into the story as with Civil War.

And truthfully, I doubt there'd be too many in fandom complaining now about too many cameos had some more fan favorites appeared in quick scenes.
I highly doubt these boards would be filled with complaints had that been the case.

Cameo's are only an issue if there really isn't any there there in terms of story, and the cameos are the best part of the film.

It depends on the story ,and if the cameos serve the story it can work.
So I don't buy into the idea that the film would have somehow would automatically have been worse with more cameos.

That said, my issue with the film isn't that there weren't enough cameos, and at the end of the day, I'm fine with what we got.

Rick Sanchez is also a good person and a loving grandfather.

Not sure if anyone collects Hot Toys but this is a sexy figure.

dead-strange_marvel_gallery_629914ce748c7.jpg

I hate these kind of takes. Makes it seem like all the hard work put in the movies are lesser than other smaller films.

The article just reads as someone with “film brain” with an axe to grind based on their own bias and preconceived notions of what they think the MCU is, rather than what it actually is, and that it will completely destroy and erase actual film art as we know it. Hell, I was checking their Twitter for a little bit, and one of his posts conflated MCU fans to fascists. Serious.

Granted, I do agree to an extent on how maybe other film companies can take the concept of the MCU and abuse it, and how fans can be a bit too gatekeeping on any outside criticism to their “beloved fandom”, and be too aggressive and attack those for it. Hell, I have my own criticisms every once in a while. But, to say and lament that it will completely subsume our media culture for all time is complete overreaction.

I have seen plenty of people have criticisms of the current direction that the MCU is going in from within the fandom itself. Not to say that I agree with all of it l, but to say that the MCU fans are this giant monolith that will accept everything that is released under its banner, and that everything will be absorbed and assimilated like John Carpenter’s The Thing, is absurd. It’s not a cult.

I imagine, at a certain point, just like the western several decades ago, the MCU will stop and not be around anymore, at least in the way that it currently is, and something else will pop up for these types to complain about.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Last edited:
The article just reads as someone with “film brain” with an axe to grind based on their own bias and preconceived notions of what they think the MCU is, rather than what it actually is, and that it will completely destroy and erase actual film art as we know it. Hell, I was checking their Twitter for a little bit, and one of his posts conflated MCU fans to fascists. Serious.

Granted, I do agree to an extent on how maybe other film companies can take the concept of the MCU and abuse it, and how fans can be a bit too gatekeeping on any outside criticism to their “beloved fandom”, and be too aggressive and attack those for it. Hell, I have my own criticisms every once in a while. But, to say and lament that it will completely subsume our media culture for all time is complete overreaction.

I have seen plenty of people have criticisms of the current direction that the MCU is going in from within the fandom itself. Not to say that I agree with all of it l, but to say that the MCU fans are this giant monolith that will accept everything that is released under its banner, and that everything will be absorbed and assimilated like John Carpenter’s The Thing, is absurd. It’s not a cult.

I imagine, at a certain point, just like the western several decades ago, the MCU will stop and not be around anymore, at least in the way that it currently is, and something else will pop up for these types to complain about.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Honestly, I tend to interpret most such takes as being bad faith. They aren't terrified of a single style or genre dominating the industry, they are only terrified that one *which isn't their preferred one* might dominate the industry. A creative monolith is only bad if someone *else* wins.

Honestly, I tend to interpret most such takes as being bad faith. They aren't terrified of a single style or genre dominating the industry, they are only terrified that one *which isn't their preferred one* might dominate the industry. A creative monolith is only bad if someone *else* wins.

And some of the most popular films this year aren’t even the usual comic book fare. The Batman, a more experimental take on the titular hero, still made $770 million. Everything Everywhere All At Once, a lower budget, heartfelt and experimental take on the multiverse concept, is A24’s highest grossing film, and everyone is still talking about it. Top Gun: Maverick, a sequel to a 36 year-old film that most people living today probably had never seen until recently, made over $400 million domestically and nearly $800,000,000 internationally, grossed more than Doctor Strange 2 domestically and was the biggest opening to a Tom Cruise film ever. And I guarantee you that the next Mission Impossible film will earn probably near $700 million-$800 million when it comes out next summer.

I don’t get why people are complaining about this.

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - BTS GAG REEL - 4K UHD

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - Deleted Scene - A GREAT TEAM - 4K UHD

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - XOCHITL BTS - 4K UHD

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - Different Versions of Dr. Strange - 4K UHD

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - Digitall & BluRay 3 Spot - 4K UHD

And some of the most popular films this year aren’t even the usual comic book fare. The Batman, a more experimental take on the titular hero, still made $770 million. Everything Everywhere All At Once, a lower budget, heartfelt and experimental take on the multiverse concept, is A24’s highest grossing film, and everyone is still talking about it. Top Gun: Maverick, a sequel to a 36 year-old film that most people living today probably had never seen until recently, made over $400 million domestically and nearly $800,000,000 internationally, grossed more than Doctor Strange 2 domestically and was the biggest opening to a Tom Cruise film ever. And I guarantee you that the next Mission Impossible film will earn probably near $700 million-$800 million when it comes out next summer.

I don’t get why people are complaining about this.

Well, for some of them, its about how none of those are "Serious Adult Drama", AKA movies about middle aged men angsting about old age and failed marriages. You know, the kind of movie people don't make for theatrical release anymore. . . because nobody except Oscar voters actually *watches* them, and also because they don't benefit from a big budget or big theater anyway.

Speaking more broadly, the "Movies are a monolith, Hollywood is dying!" contingent definitely has an undertone of "Any movie that is big and fantastic and fun is the wrong kind of movie".

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"