Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness general news and discussion thread

I think people expected the Multiverse would be this magic answer and reasoning for X-Men, Fantastic Four, mutants etc. coming into the MCU. But that's not the case.

I think a lot of people were expecting MoM to just be a bunch of crossovers with a bunch of pre-MCU Marvel movies, the way NWH was.

There were details in the trailer that made it pretty apparent that this probably wouldn't be the case, but many people just see Patrick Stewart and automatically think "Oh yeah all bets are off! Now where's Ben Affleck's Daredevil at? Brrrriiiinnnnggg meeeee toooo liiiiiiiiiifffffeee!"

I think a lot of people were expecting MoM to just be a bunch of crossovers with a bunch of pre-MCU Marvel movies, the way NWH was.

There were details in the trailer that made it pretty apparent that this probably wouldn't be the case, but many people just see Patrick Stewart and automatically think "Oh yeah all bets are off! Now where's Ben Affleck's Daredevil at? Brrrriiiinnnnggg meeeee toooo liiiiiiiiiifffffeee!"
I was kind of hoping for something like that.
Pity.
Still looking forward to it.

They didn't even name drop the word mutants. Worst movie ever. Nah just joking

But it was lower tier

Top Tier- the avengers movies, cap 2 and 3 Guardians, thor 3, shang chi

2nd Tier- origin movies , Guardians 2

3rd Tier - ant man 2 , incredible hulk IM3, dr strange 2

Trash pile - eternals , thor 2

Last edited:
Sounds like we are going to have a wait a little longer for mutants to be introduced to the MCU.
Too Bad..

Sounds like we are going to have a wait a little longer for mutants to be introduced to the MCU.
Too Bad..

Well at least we know they already exist in a universe that is fairly similar to the main 616 universe (as opposed to if they had just crossed over to the Fox universe, which is completely different from the MCU's main universe in every way). Makes me think they'll just be revealed to have been keeping their existence secret this whole time.

Well at least we know they already exist in a universe that is fairly similar to the main 616 universe (as opposed to if they had just crossed over to the Fox universe, which is completely different from the MCU's main universe in every way). Makes me think they'll just be revealed to have been keeping their existence secret this whole time.
Mutants, secretly with us, from the beginning?
I could live with that.

The issue is these same people were hooked line and sinker into the reports of various "scoopers" who made the film sound like it was going to be proto-Secret Wars.

Yup and i dont think the movie was ever supposed to be that. These scoopers were reporting that the extensive reshoots were to add even MORE characters and cameos and womp womp that wasnt the case. I was perfectly satisfied with the amount of characters and fan service they gave us because last thing we needed was for this to end up cameo mess like the DC’s Crisis on Infinite Earths on the CW.

Last edited:
Thing is, when compared to Civil War or Spider-man: No Way Home. It shows that the film could have had more cameos and could have worked fine. Even at their most minimal. We have seen it work before, so there is no excuse really. But for whatever reason though i guess they cut them out. But its not like the Illuminati were used very well anyway. Even by those number of cameos it almost felt like they had already hit their limit as they were not used particularly well. They shortened it down to 5-6 cameos and couldn't even do that very well. Even though they were all in the same scenes.

TBH the film was better without the Illuminati. Sadly they were not the hype point of the film that you would expect them to be. My theater audience didn't really react to them, or their deaths.

You really did have to go into this movie with low expectations. I went in with mild expectations and i liked it. But i did expect a little bit more from it.

Last edited:
There was a few "oooohs" and "ahhhs" during some cameos.I would have happily applauded at the end if I wasn't the only one doing it haha, but didnt want to be awkward. I loved the movie! I honestly think I enjoyed it more than No Way Home and it's gonna get better and better upon rewatches. Have my 2nd viewing booked for tuesday!

Last edited:
I'm glad the film is much more contained than I originally thought. Cameos and multiversal variants might be great for opening night with a crowd but it might not hold up with subsequent viewings at home. But this horror-esque approach will be a nice addition to the October rewatches.

The thing about the Illuminati is...
...that their identities only mattered from a meta perspective, and people are way to obsessed with meta stuff. In terms of the narrative, the Illuminati was just a bunch of random side characters who fulfilled a very simple, effective purpose.

Think about it this way. Look at this scene from The Terminator (basically structured exactly like the Illuminati scenario in MoM...in fact it's probabably what inspired it):

Does anyone care that, say, random cop #4 didn't get enough time to shine? Of course not. He, like all the other cops, is just a random side character whose sole purpose is to demonstrate how unstoppable the Terminator is.

All MoM did was take the random cops and give them some familiar faces as a cute little easter egg.
If you're taking these characters more seriously than that then you're missing the point.

The thing about the Illuminati is...
...that their identities only mattered from a meta perspective, and people are way to obsessed with meta stuff. In terms of the narrative, the Illuminati was just a bunch of random side characters who fulfilled a very simple, effective purpose.

Think about it this way. Look at this scene from The Terminator (basically structured exactly like the Illuminati scenario in MoM...in fact it's probabably what inspired it):

Does anyone care that, say, random cop #4 didn't get enough time to shine? Of course not. He, like all the other cops, is just a random side character whose sole purpose is to demonstrate how unstoppable the Terminator is.

All MoM did was take the random cops and give them some familiar faces as a cute little easter egg.
If you're taking these characters more seriously than that then you're missing the point.

Well not really.

This is technically Xavier and Mr Fantastic first appearance in the MCU. All the raving people made about X-Men and F4 showing up in the MCU and we got it. And this is what we got? And it wasn't that great. They were awkwardly directed. And they were weak and made poor decisions. Wasn't a great example.

Black Bolt feels like a character you could really have let rip with Wanda... and they didn't

And Marvel and Britain, they probably got the better end of things. For what it was.

If they were there from a meta-perspective, then it was a pretty big mistake. This is not a random cop or Deadpool 2 where they killed off a bunch of characters for a laugh.

Well not really.

This is technically Xavier and Mr Fantastic first appearance in the MCU. All the raving people made about X-Men and F4 showing up in the MCU and we got it. And this is what we got? And it wasn't that great. They were awkwardly directed. And they were weak and made poor decisions. Wasn't a great example.

Black Bolt feels like a character you could really have let rip with Wanda... and they didn't

And Marvel and Britain, they probably got the better end of things. For what it was.

If they were there from a meta-perspective, then it was a pretty big mistake. This is not a random cop or Deadpool 2 where they killed off a bunch of characters for a laugh.

They were variants. That means they were separate characters from 616 Mr. Fantastic and 616 Xavier, the same way Tobey's Spider-man and Garfield's Spider-man are separate characters from Holland's Spider-man.

Have you watched Loki yet? I feel like that show helps desensitize the viewer's insinctive urge to view all variants as "the same character".
I mean Loki literally falls in love with one of his variants...

They were variants. That means they were separate characters from 616 Mr. Fantastic and 616 Xavier, the same way Tobey's Spider-man and Garfield's Spider-man are separate characters from Holland's Spider-man.

Have you watched Loki yet? I feel like that show helps desensitize the viewer's insinctive urge to view all variants as "the same character".
I mean Loki literally falls in love with one of his variants...

Basically its like saying well these versions were idiots because they were variants, while the MCU versions won't be. But at the same time, this was their first adaptation in the MCU and it was wasted.

Basically its like saying well these versions were idiots because they were variants, while the MCU versions won't be. But at the same time, this was their first adaptation in the MCU and it was wasted.

I mean...
vfd5020_105_comp_v007.1020_r.jpg

All the people in this picture could just as easily be variants of Xavier instead of variants of Loki. The Xavier we saw is just a random Xavier the same way any of the guys in this picture is just a random Loki.

I wish all Mothers out there a Happy Mother’s Day.
….Except Wanda Maximoff. Who tends to forget she’s not a real mother as her kids were never real. Just a figment of her desperate and insane imagination. :o

As someone who has not seen Multiverse yet, that is good to know.

I was more referring to how more significant metrics for Multiverse of Madness were better than Eternals and Morbius. Specifically, box office, Tomatometer rating, Metacritic score, audience, score, etc.

My expectations were up the roof and expected cameos all over the place but am glad with the more restrained story we got.

There was a few "oooohs" and "ahhhs" during some cameos.I would have happily applauded at the end if I wasn't the only one doing it haha, but didnt want to be awkward. I loved the movie! I honestly think I enjoyed it more than No Way Home and it's gonna get better and better upon rewatches. Have my 2nd viewing booked for tuesday!

I definitely liked this movie much better than NWH in every way - story telling, cinematography, visual fx, score, sound design and costume design. NWH was a wild ride for me with ups and down but definitely felt like a shore for me, specially the 2nd arc. Watching DSMOM just showcases how messy NWH is. It's saving grace was the 1st Goblin fight and the 3rd act and even then I felt the vfx were weak.

Any word on a Soundtrack physical release? Or Art of book? I realised No Way Home hasn't released an Art of book

What are you talking about? :huh:

I simply stated that I found your opinions on the movie extremely hyperbolic and for you to not to take the movie so seriously and that was basically it. That was not me replying to you with the intent of bullying or demeaning you so I have no clue why you chose to read my post that way. There was nothing personal or vindictive about it.

It's perfectly fine if you dislike the movie and I don't intend to persuade you otherwise. But you might want to think back before throwing such a wild accusation.

I think it's best not to engage with that poster sheesh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"