Dune

Yep. Don't think any of the SW movies are really in the same ball park as Part Two. A New Hope and Empire for Part One maybe, but certainly not Part Two and certainly not the two movies as a whole.
I think A New Hope and Return of the Jedi are about even with Part 1. Empire Strikes Back is close to being as great as Part 2. Generally speaking though, I much prefer the mythology and themes in Dune compared to Star Wars.

I'd say Part One and Two are more or less equal to A New Hope and Empire. Dune excels in the acting and cinematography categories but I'd go with Star Wars for music (sorry but it's John Williams) and pacing. Even as someone who loved Dune Part Two I thought the third act was way too rushed for a 2:45 movie.

Of course Star Wars owes a hell of a lot to Dune in general but that's a whole other story. :o

Started reading the book, finally. About 80 pages in and I can see how Villenueve changed some things around. Certain characters are not focused on as much and certain lines of dialogue are spoken by different people. I have to say that while I do really like the detail and descriptive nature of the book so far, it would’ve not translated well at all in a movie. Denis made some good choices adapting it.

I just checked iTunes and it's $30 for digital.

Realistically, how many people are actually going to drop $30 on a digital copy unless they've already seen it in theaters and really liked the movie? Anyone who's on the fence is either going to still catch it in theaters because a movie ticket is still cheaper than that or they're going to wait a few months until it's available to rent for $5 or until it's streaming on Max.

Realistically, how many people are actually going to drop $30 on a digital copy unless they've already seen it in theaters and really liked the movie? Anyone who's on the fence is either going to still catch it in theaters because a movie ticket is still cheaper than that or they're going to wait a few months until it's available to rent for $5 or until it's streaming on Max.
I’d rather pay that $30 for my wife and I to experience it in the theater.

I’d rather pay that $30 for my wife and I to experience it in the theater.
Precisely. The initial digital release isn't the death knell to a theatrical run that people might think it is because the price is comparable to if not more expensive than a movie ticket. The cheaper digital rental price usually comes with the disc release but that's not until further down the line along with the streaming release on Max.

Precisely. The initial digital release isn't the death knell to a theatrical run that people might think it is because the price is comparable to if not more expensive than a movie ticket. The cheaper digital rental price usually comes with the disc release but that's not until further down the line along with the streaming release on Max.
I’m a 4K disc collector also so if I wanted to wait I would rather spend that $30 for the 4K. I’m glad the digital option is there for others. Just not for me.

There's piracy as well. It thrives in some countries. And there's an obvious difference between bootleg and 4K.

Is it though?
A. It has a contract for a 45 day window like most WB films.
B. Villeneuve wouldn't have agreed for such a short window after being screwed with the day-and-date release strategy that was followed for the previous film.
C. It already has a confirmed VOD date and that's April 16.
D. Home media dates for such big movies are not announced only one day prior to that.
E. The news were posted on April the 1st.

A. It has a contract for a 45 day window like most WB films.
B. Villeneuve wouldn't have agreed for such a short window after being screwed with the day-and-date release strategy that was followed for the previous film.
C. It already has a confirmed VOD date and that's April 16.
D. Home media dates for such big movies are not announced only one day prior to that.
E. The news were posted on April the 1st.

A pretty lame April Fools in that case.

There's piracy as well. It thrives in some countries. And there's an obvious difference between bootleg and 4K.
Contrary to what the Spongebob movie would have us believe, pirates don't go to the movies anyway. :o

uWU7-P.gif

AI is worse than swearing... can we get that banned on SHH?

Contrary to what the Spongebob movie would have us believe, pirates don't go to the movies anyway. :o

uWU7-P.gif
In all seriousness it's probably not a thing in the US but it's pretty big in Europe, especially in my country where the vast majority has been doing it all the time for years now. Not that we here amount to anything profit-wise, just saying. :oldrazz: It's even bigger in many Asian countries, including China. I'm not saying it's going to make or break the film but I think the countries where it doesn't happen much, underestimate how much it might be happening elsewhere. It's still going to affect its box office somewhat.

In all seriousness it's probably not a thing in the US but it's pretty big in Europe, especially in my country where the vast majority has been doing it all the time for years now. Not that we here amount to anything profit-wise, just saying. :oldrazz: It's even bigger in many Asian countries, including China. I'm not saying it's going to make or break the film but I think the countries where it doesn't happen much, underestimate how much it might be happening elsewhere. It's still going to affect its box office somewhat.
Oh I don't doubt it. I feel like piracy has gotten less common in the US because of the smaller gap between theatrical release and streaming. I just figure the bigger blockbuster spectacle movies are less likely to be as affected by piracy. There have been plenty of times in the past (meaning over 10 years ago when it still took a little bit more time between theatrical and home video release) where I would watch bootleg copies of films I had already seen in theaters. My way of justifying it was "Well, I've already seen this in theaters two or three times, I can treat myself to this bootleg copy."

Oh I don't doubt it. I feel like piracy has gotten less common in the US because of the smaller gap between theatrical release and streaming. I just figure the bigger blockbuster spectacle movies are less likely to be as affected by piracy. There have been plenty of times in the past (meaning over 10 years ago when it still took a little bit more time between theatrical and home video release) where I would watch bootleg copies of films I had already seen in theaters. My way of justifying it was "Well, I've already seen this in theaters two or three times, I can treat myself to this bootleg copy."
I guess it depends on the country. I don't know anyone who has watched bootleg versions of movies, but as soon as it hits streaming or blu-ray we're all over the HD rip of a film.
You wouldn't download a car, would you? :o
I always think of IT Crowd:

f96eda2b-968b-40fa-804a-463cb37aad2d_text.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"