Dune

He doesn't know dick squat about the marketing of the film and when a trailer will drop and nothing. All he'd know is when the press tour starts. And those were lyrics, nothing to get fussed about.

Tom Holland dropped the Far From Home trailer himself on Instagram Live before it was released on YouTube, and plenty of actors have teased trailer releases ahead of time, so not sure why we’d assume Chalamet wouldn’t know when the trailer is dropping.

Last edited:
If this has something to do with his pantry, I swear to god...
He picked up a new spice?
41sggj.gif

Last edited:
Not sure what you are showing us there, that's obviously an ancient device designed by the Bene Jeddirit order, for future powerful brooding dark emo lads to communicate, ... and keep a smooth shaven chest.

dbkV8Sm.jpg

That look and mood, it belongs to me now!
\
47dc4ac924e9c830c471c72277f8d161.gif

The Jedi Communicators in TPM were painted and redressed women's Gillette razors.

Tech isn't really low key, they have space folding engine, shield generator, laser, atomic, it's just that there is no computer.

You have to think about it in terms of aesthetics. Reading the books, you don't get quite the sci fi aesthetic you get from a lot of other things you get in sci fi in the 60's and 70's.

You have to think about it in terms of aesthetics. Reading the books, you don't get quite the sci fi aesthetic you get from a lot of other things you get in sci fi in the 60's and 70's.

Yes indeed. The tech is "hidden" behind the items design.
I may not get the meaning of "low key" correctly...time to google for an accurate definition.

^Yeah that's on me, I can see why, my "jokes" and posts are often contrived bloated, intelligible, messes.
I'm always surprised if any one gets them. :funny:

More on the Sci-Fi mini-series.

*as far as the 2000 scifi Dune TV series, ...It's actually not a bad show, and gets even better as they get into Dune Messiah and Children of Dune. ... James McAvoy, who made a great Leto II.

More people should give it a shot.
Yeah they did clearly get around some of the limitations of the budget by making it more "theatrical," which I think can work a little bit with Dune just due to the themes and characters. At times the story feels very operatic and Shakespearian. Far from perfect. As a TV miniseries at the time, I thought it was good for its time.
I enjoyed the 2000 Dune series, but Children of Dune was always the better of the two IMO. It just felt more grand and epic even if the vfx still weren't all that great at that time. I loved the music in it as well and you get some really strong performances from James McAvoy and Daniela Amavia who was just mesmerizing in the role of Alia Atreides.
Agree, the music was terrific, Inama Nushi = "She is Eternal", and the "Time to settle accounts , Cleansing of the House" montage was sensational.

The birth of the Jedi twins during Padme's Chani's death , as Anakin Paul contemplates his inevitable fate and role, was beautiful and tragic.

And agree, Daniela Amavia was just mesmerizing as Alia, whose entire (as you describe Shakespearean) tragic arc, possession, aware that she’s the product and tool of an ancient order and machinations, and what we learn is her once defeated evil Grandfather. Now bent on trying to resurrect himself through her.

Leading to her descent to out of control power, madness, tragic and only "choice".

Blows away Rey's derivative little dark “vision” of herself, what we learn is also her Grandfather trying to resurrect himself through her, in what (although not the most fair comparison) was mostly an all-visual-effect, and zero-content meaningless struggle, compared to Alias character and novel development.

4fauvo.gif

4fazba.gif

Somewhere there is a middle ground, maybe the Dune movie(s) (if successful) can be the ones to capture some of that.

Last edited:
^Yeah that's on me, I can see why, my "jokes" and posts are often contrived bloated, intelligible, messes.
I'm always surprised if any one gets them. :funny:

More on the Sci-Fi mini-series.

Agree, the music was terrific, Inama Nushi = "She is Eternal", and the "Time to settle accounts , Cleansing of the House" montage was sensational.

The birth of the Jedi twins during Padme's Chani's death , as Anakin Paul contemplates his inevitable fate and role, was beautiful and tragic.

And agree, Daniela Amavia was just mesmerizing as Alia, whose entire (as you describe Shakespearean) tragic arc, possession, aware that she’s the product and tool of an ancient order and machinations, and what we learn is her once defeated evil Grandfather. Now bent on trying to resurrect himself through her.

Leading to her descent to out of control power, madness, tragic and only "choice".

Blows away Rey's derivative little dark “vision” of herself, what we learn is also her Grandfather trying to resurrect himself through her, in what (although not the most fair comparison) was mostly an all-visual-effect, and zero-content struggle, compared to Alias character and novel development.

Somewhere there is a middle ground, maybe the Dune movie(s) (if successful) can be the ones to capture some of that.

Oh, son of a...

As if Rise of Skywalker (and the sequel trilogy overall) wasn't dumb enough, it had to go and rip off a superior sci-fi property.

Hadn't even noticed that until you mentioned it. Now I'm angry about the movie all over again.
:argh:

I’m assuming that Dune Messiah will the third film, of the Paul trilogy? From what I’ve heard of the future books...

I’m only two chapters left in it, and it makes for a perfect third film, since Dune is being slit into two films. It would only makes sense for Dennis to finish it.

And, if they want to adapt beyond that every few years or so, they can have other directors in for those... but slightly based off of what he has built with this upcoming film. Basically what I wish Fincher got to do with Dragon Tattoo.

Last edited:
To be honest I could never get into Dune after Dune Messiah. I guess I just didn't find it as interesting following the story of Paul's kids. But I still own Children of Dune and God Emperor of Dune so I think sometime I will try to read those books just to see what happens next.

I'm still so sad about Fincher's Dragon Tattoo. I really love the first film. Damn, Sony, whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy....

Regarding Dune sequels, I'll try to think about it as one step at a time. I want them to finish at least the first book first. We aren't even sure we will get part 2...

Exclusive: ‘Dune’ DP Greig Fraser on Shooting Denis Villeneueve’s “Epic” Sci-Fi Adaptation

While Fraser was tight-lipped with regards to specifics, I asked about shifting from the world of Star Wars—working on Rogue One and The Mandalorian—to a completely different sci-fi tale and Fraser discussed how fun it was to change things up:

“It was quite fun because I had to forget a lot of Star Wars when I was making Dune. It wasn’t hard, though. Denis and I spoke clearly about how the film should look and should feel, and the formats and this and that, so it was not hard to swerve and change lanes. There were some similarities like the deserts. I mean listen, ultimately I’m positive George Lucas was inspired by Dune when he made Star Wars. I don’t know if that’s sacrilegious to talk about, but there are a lot of similarities in some areas, so you could tell he was definitely influenced by that. So I had to be careful doing both [Dune and The Mandalorian] and not to repeat myself. Also not just for the sake of the movie, but for fun. I hate to do the same thing twice.”

Villeneuve has stated that Dune is only one half of the story, and the intention is to make a sequel that will conclude the story from Herbert’s book. But Fraser insists that despite the fact that the book was split in half, this first Dune will feel like a satisfying story in and of itself:

“It’s a fully formed story in itself with places to go. It’s a fully standalone epic film that people will get a lot out of when they see it… It was quite an adventure visually. It was a beautiful experience making it. The people involved with it, I was overwhelmed. Some of the actors, as well as being insanely talented actors, are just lovely, lovely people who I’ve become very close to since then.”

As for his working relationship with Villeneuve, the two got along extremely well because both were fond of being brutally honest with one another:

“I can tell you that Denis is a master and a lovely human being who is passionate and wild and sensitive and loving. What I love about Denis is French-Canadians and Australians tend to have a lot of similarities in that we can get a bit passionately aggressive when we need to be. The French-Canadians can be very, very passionate about life and things, so I found getting on with him really well on that, and also Patrice [Vermette] the production designer. I think we all had the same thing of, if something wasn’t good, it’d be like, ‘That’s bull****!’ and Patrice would be like, ‘Yeah, that’s ****!’ They wouldn’t pull punches, which I found awesome, and we had the same relationship.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"