Episode 8: Breaking Brad (Spoiler Discussion)

DarthSkywalker

Your Most Aggro Pal (he/him)
Reaction score
Last week on O.B.:

Time slippin',
75c9cf9de18f10e9d42d45545f4590cea015f349.gifv

revisionist history,
9aaedd36450e61dfcc91183f348aa96ceab4f5a9.gifv

and settling down.
fad141231c89b2b2a8bc68403553d2a20e3115d6.gifv

Now time for Episode 8 of Marvel's Greatest Hero, Duct Tape...

2e90bedd825059df2b1dd1953d1d57d99b13b613.gifv

There has been a lot of bad writing in Marvel productions. But the idea that anyone would be happy and content working at McDonald's is a crime against humanity! :argh:

i wonder if HWR and the 1910 Kang are the same person. Or if Ramona betrays him for HWR and that’s how she ends up being m with everyone else.

I thought HWR claimed to be from a far future when he discovered the multiverse.

I liked the episode but they spent a little too much time dealing with X-5 that the end of it felt rushed. While I did love Loki interrogating him, I'd have preferred a little less of that and maybe a little more of the damage that was done with the destroyed timelines in addition to the TVA's perspective. McDonald's was footing the bill for this episode, they could have afforded to show some wide scale destruction.

There has been a lot of bad writing in Marvel productions. But the idea that anyone would be happy and content working at McDonald's is a crime against humanity! :argh:
It was the '80s. Everyone was happy. :o

giphy.gif

Wow, the ending was totally rushed here.. Blink and you miss it. Also, X5 was a complete different character in compare to the episode of last week..

There's something disjointed about the editing and pacing, quite like many of the other Marvel+ shows of late, but unlike those this is still very enjoyable and high quality. Loved seeing some darker tones back in Loki's personality this week, that chase scene in particular was really cool.

Only four episodes left, this is going to fly by.

Wow, the ending was totally rushed here.. Blink and you miss it. Also, X5 was a complete different character in compare to the episode of last week..
Good, so it wasn't just me! And yeah, they really made it seem like X5 wasn't just introduced in the last episode here. It felt a little jarring.

This felt like a mirror of season 1 when all the timelines got released. And ultimately nothing happened from it in the show. I did enjoy seeing magic Loki again.

Too much time on Brad though. They made him seem like a regular character before but I don’t even remember him

Solid episode, but nothing I waited 2 years for. Season 1 had the Roxon Malll scene after 2 episodes and the great I need a hero opening with Sylvie.
Everything feels cheaper this season
Only Ouroborus was a highlight so far.

That episode started a bit slow but got better in the second half. Not quite up there with the first though. Great to get Sylvie properly back in any case.

“We’re all going to die! Nice to meet you.” I can see Ke Huy Quan saying this in a real life emergency :funny: He’s so suited to this role, very happy for him.

There's something disjointed about the editing and pacing, quite like many of the other Marvel+ shows of late, but unlike those this is still very enjoyable and high quality. Loved seeing some darker tones back in Loki's personality this week, that chase scene in particular was really cool.

Only four episodes left, this is going to fly by.
Pacing seems to be the biggest struggle of these shows, and the episode count is usually either too low or too high. This leads to them not feeling like shows and either rushed or more like stretched out films. Seems strange me going on about this when I've never been bothered about pacing for non-cinema viewing before. They're going to have to do a lot in 4 episodes but looking forward to what the gang get up to, I like all the main characters.

I feel like this episode, even more so then the first, shows how much they are missing Herron. The show is still good, I still rather enjoy it, especially the cast. But it's an obvious step down from the first season, especially when it comes to craft.

Didn't think it would be possible, but I'm enjoying this even more than S1. Ke Huy Quan is a gem, the cinematography is even better, and I appreciate this becoming more of an esemble show. While also giving Tom Hiddleston a lot to work with.

This really has become one of my favorite MCU projects period.

Edit: Director Dan DeLeeuw also deserves some love here. This episode was his first directing credit, though he has worked as VFX supervisor / second-unit director on 7 MCU movies and Loki S1.

That's the whole point, right? He spent a lot of time on the timeline. Even his hair was very different. That contrast is definitely not an accident.

Last edited:
I'm rather "meh" about this show to be honest BUT this episode reminded me why I loved Hiddelston's Loki so much. There were some really good bits here and I wish the series could focus a little bit more on character rather than plot because I'm just not hooked.

I like the visual direction of this show especially TVA, reminds me of the videogame Control.

Looks like a pretty large amount of the branches got pruned. Wonder if that buys time for OB.

I feel like we are going to find out OB is someone important on the sacred timeline.

The fact he hasn’t been mindwiped, made all the equipment, but also keep far away from everyone is a huge red flag.

Didn't think it would be possible, but I'm enjoying this even more than S1. Ke Huy Quan is a gem, the cinematography is even better, and I appreciate this becoming more of an esemble show. While also giving Tom Hiddleston a lot to work with.

This really has become one of my favorite MCU projects period.

Edit: Director Dan DeLeeuw also deserves some love here. This episode was his first directing credit, though he has worked as VFX supervisor / second-unit director on 7 MCU movies and Loki S1.

That's the whole point, right? He spent a lot of time on the timeline. Even his hair was very different. That contrast is definitely not an accident.
Yeah, the poor direction makes sense.

Wouldn't say I agree with that notion. It's miles ahead of some other MCU projects by much more experienced directors.
What do you find particular good about the directing?

With season 1, look at how this simple shot to transition to the TVA is. Even in low quality, the blocking is still apparent. As is the confidence in the actors.

There is of course the scene between Sylvie and Loki, which is shot exceptionally well for a conversation on television.

Or here, where the camera is used to mirror their back and forth, playing in their attempts to one up each other. Where the camera sits, emphasizes they never break eye contact. Even when Loki drinks, he tries to keep eye contact. It's a dance, on their first date.

This episode was obsessed with the wide shots during the conversation, that make them look like they're talking to the camera, not each other. Like it was shot during COVID. Makes it all look pretty fake. Also what the heck is that cut into the Mcdonald's?

Then there is the action and well...

Scatter brained, poorly exceuted, not allowing one to understand the geography of the room, while making Loki and Sylvie look slow and not all that skilled.

I could post-the Lamentis oner, but that feels unfair. And while this isn't the whole scene, the blocking again, stands out. It makes all the movements look good, Sylvie and Loki strong, while just looking cinematic as ****.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"