Hawley's Doctor Doom Film

Unless, I missed a publication, it's still a different studio that owns the rights. Fox has some Hulk-like deal with that studio.

Sorry, have a contract with Marvel to release FF movies as long as they release movies at some point during the timeline laid out in the contract they have with Marvel. Either way, they are within their legal rights to release this movie. I am not defending the quality of the movies in said franchise but I'm not going to knock them for hiring a competent writer/director. Noah Hawley is not a Josh Trank or Simon Kinsberg. He's not even a Bryan Singer. It's probably the most inspired choice Fox could have selected and despite their past mistakes with FF I'm not going to knock them for hiring someone talented just because it delays an MCU crossover if it means we may get a great film.

FYI, this isn't necessary aimed at you, more just in general to the knee jerk reaction to this on this forum.

"Thou shall not accept a Marvel movie other than Marvel Studios'"?

C'mon, stop it already with this 'Marvel Studios privilege' already. :woot: It's getting old. Of course people will get excited for it. Despite what you think about "Legion" (I thought it was great, and so did many others) Noah Hawley is a talented guy, and the concept sounds very interesting.

And Fox has been knocking it out of the park lately ("Deapool", "Logan"), so they definitely deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Not when it pertains with the Fantastic Four. When I think of a Fox Doctor Doom, I think of this.

grgucJN.jpg

Not when it pertains with the Fantastic Four. When I think of a Fox Doctor Doom, I think of this.

grgucJN.jpg

They did make up for Barakapool, didn't they?

Having Noah Hawley on board to write/direct is a step in the right direction. You may get the Doctor Doom you've always been waiting for on the big screen! ;)

Yep, but their attempts with the Fantastic Four have been rightfully criticized and making another one will be an uphill battle for them. While having talent is a good start, Fox will have to remove the inevitable stench of Fant4stic that this movie will be stained by. As I've mentioned, Fant4stic was the last straw with Fox and Fantastic Four. I will never forget:
grgucJN.jpg

Yep, but their attempts with the Fantastic Four have been rightfully criticized and making another one will be an uphill battle for them. While having talent is a good start, Fox will have to remove the inevitable stench of Fant4stic that this movie will be stained by. As I've mentioned, Fant4stic was the last straw with Fox and Fantastic Four. I will never forget:
grgucJN.jpg

Dude, we get it already. The new movie will have nothing to do with Trank's Fantastic Four, so... let it go.

Is "Doctor Doom: Homecoming" too much to ask for.

grgucJN.jpg

I'm not sure what that has to do with this. Noah Hawley is their golden boy. He's going to get a lot of creative freedom with this project and unlike his predecessors has the talent to pull it off. Fox makes mistakes but so do all major studios. What matters is the the talent behind the film. For instance, we have the Joker in Suicide Squad but we also had Heath Ledger and Jack Nicholson. All three movies are from the same studio. Sometimes studios just make lousy decisions. Their track record with FF is lousy but if they hire a decent team I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt if for no other reason than they also grenlighted Logan, the POTA movies, First Class and DOFP. If they hired another Trank I would be on the anger train too so it's not like I'm just being a contrarian for the sake of argument.

So aside from Doom, if Fox could manage to do more spin-offs, would anyone watch a Silver Surfer series?

I think that it would be really cool of Fox could get crossover rights with the X-Men now that we're seeing the Shi'Ar.

As for other spin-offs, I can't see Fantastic Force happening since that requires Fox getting the Inhumans and Black Panther rights.

You are assuming he's going to do a carbon copy of Legion. Legion is nothing like Fargo, why would he repeat himself with this?

What I am assuming is that Hawley's success on the small screen won't necessarily translate to the Cineplex, especially given FOX's brutal track record in regards to the First Family.

I get that the thread newbies are all jacked and pumped to see Noah's film directorial debut (just like Simon Kinberg!), but the folks who didn't bail after FFINO have seen this song and dance before.

Last edited:
So aside from Doom, if Fox could manage to do more spin-offs, would anyone watch a Silver Surfer series?

I think that it would be really cool of Fox could get crossover rights with the X-Men now that we're seeing the Shi'Ar.

As for other spin-offs, I can't see Fantastic Force happening since that requires Fox getting the Inhumans and Black Panther rights.

That last sentence...is like cancer

Look at the big picture people. Doom was meant to battle not only the FF but Iron Man Doctor Strange The Avengers and so on...supporting Fox's spinoff will only delay the inevitable. Frankly, Fox is denying comic book movie fans of their dreams - seeing what they read about come to life and be immersed in a grand Cinematic experience like no other group can deliver but Marvel Studios.

Remember. BIG PICTURE. MCU.

It's like Fox having the rights to Braniac and making a solo film instead of playing nice and letting Braniac be a part of WB's DCEU. It's madness. DONT FALL FOR IT. Like Admiral Ackbar once said, ITS A TRAP.

Last edited:
Look at the big picture people. Doom was meant to battle not only the FF but Iron Man Doctor Strange The Avengers and so on...supporting Fox's spinoff will only delay the inevitable. Frankly, Fox is denying comic book movie fans of their dreams - seeing what they read about come to life and be immersed in a grand Cinematic experience like no other group can deliver but Marvel Studios.

Remember. BIG PICTURE. MCU.

It's like Fox having the rights to Braniac and making a solo film instead of playing nice and letting Braniac be a part of WB's DCEU. It's madness.

Oh, man..... :whatever:

I'm cautiously optimistic, but I need to hear what Hawley's approach is going to be. If he wants to capture the medieval sci-fi craziness of the Lee/Kirby comics, then I'm on-board. But if I hear anything along the lines of a "modern-day reimagining," count me out.

I would be quite alright if they go the X-Men:FC-route and start in the 60's with Doom, maybe even take place in the same universe as the X-Men films(and as I mentioned the previous post, maybe even have a cameo of Fassbender as Magneto).

As much as I hate Fox when it comes to these comic properties, I'm all for this. I secretly hope its a a sequel to F4 but if it isn't, I think this is a smart way to go. I hope for a dark film.

I wonder who will play him?

Well this was unexpected.

Still, it could be interesting. It might be interesting if they do doom as an allegory of Trump, always trying to prove he's the toughest and best but always feeling slighted by someone else (Reed Richards/Obama)

I'm willing to admit that Fox's Doctor Doom might very well be more ambitious and artistic than MCU's more commercial Doctor Doom. But Marvel cinematic universe as we know it, is probably only going to happen once. Sure, in a few decades they will probably reboot, but this is the original. This is when the magic is happening. I think that MCU is more than the sum of it's parts. It's movies range from forgettable to excellent, but together they form a dream come true. And Doctor Doom's inclusion would make the MCU even better. No matter how good Fox's Doctor Doom is going to be, it will most likely prevent the character from ever appearing in the context where he belongs. And that just sucks.

Are we still in 2013 ? The story seems to repeat itself...

Just woke up to this.

Well... Dunkirk better be good tonight!

And the Fox-bootlicker-brigade is trying to spin this s*** into something positive? f*** you! It doesn't matter how talented the filmmaker behind the project is. Josh Trank was considered talented, FFS. This is still Fox, that studio that brought us Fant4stic, Origins, X3, Apocalypse, DOFP and many other incompetently made CB adaptations. To allow this cancer of a movie studio, this diarrhea of the film industry, to keep their sweaty hands on the First Family and make a movie about Victor von Doom of all characters while people on this board applaud them for it is beyond insanity. Giving FOX the chance to mess up one of the most beloved characters in Marvel lore for a 4th time is like giving the nuclear codes to a horny 70 year old toddler with anger issues.

Yeah seriously. I learned my lesson with the last attempt. **** off Fox. I'll boycott the **** out of this movie.

phase 1 : the right reversal approach and it's time to do something
Phase 2 : hire Someone who seems competent
Phase 3 : the script is good but Not cheap enough... Sorry, too expensive
Phase 4 : take the old FF script, it's a bad but good script because cheap
Phase 5 : hire whoever wants to play in this
Phase 6 : alarming rumors begins to spread... The script may be terrible
Phase 7 : rumors denied one or two weeks later, the director Is perfect and can't miss
Phase 8 : the director and the studio have serious issues
Phase 9 : Deny
Phase 10 : the movie Is urged into production,, but nothing worked as planned...
Phase 11 : deny, deny, deny...
Phase 12 : the movie is released, panned by the critics and bombs, the FOX supporters disappear from the face of earth
Phase 13 : Returns to phase 1 ( if Marvel doesn't get the rights because FOX fail to produce the movie in time )

Am I right ? We're back in 2013 at phase 2 ?

And the Fox-bootlicker-brigade is trying to spin this s*** into something positive? f*** you! It doesn't matter how talented the filmmaker behind the project is. Josh Trank was considered talented, FFS. This is still Fox, that studio that brought us Fant4stic, Origins, X3, Apocalypse, DOFP and many other incompetently made CB adaptations. To allow this cancer of a movie studio, this diarrhea of the film industry, to keep their sweaty hands on the First Family and make a movie about Victor von Doom of all characters while people on this board applaud them for it is beyond insanity. Giving FOX the chance to mess up one of the most beloved characters in Marvel lore for a 4th time is like giving the nuclear codes to a horny 70 year old toddler with anger issues.

I wouldn't say that Days of Future Past is an incompetently made movie. Neither are the recent Deadpool and Logan. :cwink:

You're all acting like the Fantastic Four property going back to Marvel was a done thing, when Fox made it clear that they had not intention of letting it go.

They own the rights to this, and can therefore make this movie. I'm curious about what Noah Hawley will cook up. You can all stay at home if you don't like it.

If there's one big thing I learned from watching Legion, given the various nods to the frickin' history of filmmaking,
he's got more than enough adoration for old & new.

Unless, I missed a publication, it's still a different studio that owns the rights. Fox has some Hulk-like deal with that studio.
technically, Constantin Film has at least distribution rights for the German speaking market. Idk if they still hold production rights

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"