• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Justice League Henry Cavill IS Clark Kent/Superman - - - - - Part 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree he needs to distance himself from Millar, nasty little man that he is.

He's a *****e, yes-- But he writes a fantastic Superman. I'd gladly have him on this. Vaughn, however, has never done anything for me.

I remember Mark Millars superman trilogy concept. Not something I wanted to see.

He's a *****e, yes-- But he writes a fantastic Superman. I'd gladly have him on this. Vaughn, however, has never done anything for me.

I don't think I like a single thing Millar has said about Superman or superheroes.

Q: Who would you like to see play Superman on the big screen in another Superman movie?

Don't laugh, but I thought Nic Cage was an interesting idea. I hated Dean Cain so much and thought he looked, acted and sounded more unlike Superman than Teri Hatcher. Compared to Cain, Cage actually IS Superman and the fact that he's an Oscar-winning actor would, I think, bring some much-needed dignity after the TV show. He doesn't look like Superman, granted, but ANYONE can look like a superhero with the right wig, make-up, special effects, etc.

If I could choose anyone, I think I'd opt for Daniel Day-Lewis. The last rumour I heard from a friend in Hollywood was that he was being seriously considered. Being Irish shouldn't prevent him from tackling such an all-American role. I mean, Superman's from Krypton, isn't he?

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/comics/interviews/interviews-intro.php?topic=c-interview_millar

"The ultimate [act] that would be the taboo, to show how bad some villain is, was to have somebody being raped, you know?’ he told me. 'I don’t really think it matters. It’s the same as, like, a decapitation. It’s just a horrible act to show that somebody’s a bad guy.'"

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/114150/mark-millar-kick-ass-2-author-comics-sickest-mind

On Clark Kent: "Clark is a pair of glasses. Superman doesn't need glasses. He puts on the glasses for no practical reason; just to dress up and pretend to be this mid-westwern guy he's not as a means of rubbing shoulders with the people on this planet. Superman would have thought he was human until puberty. Until maybe 12. The easiest way to understand it is to think of Jesus in the temple and the moment where his mother has to tell him the truth. He always knew he was different and alone. This is when it was all explained to him. He could still love his parents, but Clark is him trying to understand what humans are all about. As Elliot Maggin puts it, Clark Kent is a living, breathing work of art."

On Lois Lane: "Superman doesn't love Lois. Clark loves Lois and Superman tries HARD to love Lois, but he can't because she's the wrong species. But he tries. Again, Maggin sums it up beautifully. It doesn't have to be complicated... Clark loves Lois, Lois loves Superman, Superman loves Clark [...] Perfect. This is also one of the reasons Superman shouldn't be married to Lois. It's just stupid. It makes no sense and destroys the whole dynamic. Superman is God, Jor-El is the Holy Spirit and Clark Kent is Jesus. The Kents are Mary and Joseph and Lois is Mary Magdelene. She's the NYC girl who's ****** her way around the city and found nobody who measures up. She's just had it with men and is focusing on her career... then Superman shows up. This is why Margot Kidder was perfect for the role and why Lois should be played by someone around 30 even if Supes is being played by a 25 year old. You'll see what I mean when we fix it."

On the current version of the character: "[Kingdom Come] is close to perfect. Waid gets it. None of the other American writers do, though Loeb comes close. His only weakness is getting caught up in the whole farmboy thing. The farm is where he grew up and knew he was NOTHING LIKE THESE PEOPLE. He affects it for the Clark persona, but that's it. He's as Kryptonian as Jesus is divine. Did Jesus shag Mary Mag? I don't think so. Superman should never shag Lois. It's insane and what happens when artists start touching typewriters. Jimmy is the reader-identification figure and the comedy relief. PS I'm saving everything else for the launch. No other ideas from me here, I'm afraid, in case some c**t nicks em."

On mixing metaphors: "No brimstone for Superman. He's interesting enough without it. He sees Earth the way immigrants saw America 100 years ago. He sees a chance for hope and a new life after losing his homeland as a kid. He loves people because he recognizes their great potential and, like Krypton, he wants to encourage them towards the Utopia his father sent him from. Forget Byrne. Read the Bible."

http://superman.nu/smf/index.php?topic=1117.0;wap2

That's just the tip of the iceberg. Not a fan.

I don't think I like a single thing Millar has said about Superman or superheroes.

Those last quotes, about Clark, Lois-- while said in the *****e baggiest way possible (I'm not defending him as a person)-- is still all fairly spot on except for one key thing (Superman absolutely loves Lois).

And more important than what he's said about the character, look at how he's written him in the past-- Superman Adventures. Arguably some of the best of Post-Crisis Superman.

Last edited:
I remember Mark Millars superman trilogy concept. Not something I wanted to see.

The only thing I didn't love about what we'd heard about that was the extremely depressing ending. Everything else though? We should be so lucky.

In the art book, Wilkinson says that they made the blue bolder but they also made the metallic muscle show through the suit so the outfit looks shinier.

http://imgbox.com/VJJxrhqK
Aha, so there it is! Thanks for sharing that blurb.

I'm glad the blue was more bold, but I really hate how pronounced the metallic muscles became. For me, it really makes it nigh-impossible to suspend my disbelief that his real physique is showing through. At least with the MOS costume (which I think had a few kinks to work out) the musculature underneath was less pronounced, less shiny, and I think a bit more believable in terms of representing Cavill's actual body underneath.

And more important than what he's said about the character, look at how he's written him in the past-- Superman Adventures. Arguably some of the best of Post-Crisis Superman.

I read his run and didn't like it much. I prefer Morrison, Busiek, and Johns to Millar. Even Greg Pak's Lois-lite New 52 stuff ranks higher in my estimation.

I read his run and didn't like it much. I prefer Morrison, Busiek, and Johns to Millar. Even Greg Pak's Lois-lite New 52 stuff ranks higher in my estimation.
Agreed.

I do love Red Son, though. But yeah, no thanks to Millar writing the movies.

Wow, that's bad. This is one of the reasons I don't like the Jesus analogy for Superman. Not only does it not work for Superman, but you get people who don't actually understand the Christian religion trying to adapt it to a secular character, and it just doesn't turn out well.

Apologies if this has been brought up a million times, but does someone have a high-res version of that Alex Ross-style Justice League team photo with Cavill's Superman in it? Hoping to use it for my desktop wallpaper.

Apologies if this has been brought up a million times, but does someone have a high-res version of that Alex Ross-style Justice League team photo with Cavill's Superman in it? Hoping to use it for my desktop wallpaper.

This One ?

Text-less Poster

4w3b_O0_C.jpg

Hi Resolution Bigger Image (Right Click, Open Image in a new Tab)
4w3bO0C.jpg

Matt Vaughn is one of my favorite directors, kingsman 2 not withstanding he as made some of my favorite films from various genres starting with layercake (crime thriller) then stardust (fantasy), Kickass & firstclass (superhero deconstruction/construction) and kingsman (spy).
Add to all that the fact that he loves superman and isn't ashamed of the character's brighter, more hopeful aspects and you've pretty much got the perfect director for the job.
I suspect that WB and Whedon's reason for erasing Snyder's superman scenes in JL was to reboot the character inorder to entice Vaughn to jump onboard (I hope).

Mark Millar is easily one of my favorite writers (up there with Bryan Vaughn, Brubaker and Wood) and Red son and his work on Superman adventures proved that he gets the character and so I wouldn't mind if he was brought on to provide ideas but nothing beyond that. Leave the script writing to the professional scribes.

Matt Vaughn is one of my favorite directors, kingsman 2 not withstanding he as made some of my favorite films from various genres starting with layercake (crime thriller) then stardust (fantasy), Kickass & firstclass (superhero deconstruction/construction) and kingsman (spy).
Add to all that the fact that he loves superman and isn't ashamed of the character's brighter, more hopeful aspects and you've pretty much got the perfect director for the job.
I suspect that WB and Whedon's reason for erasing Snyder's superman scenes in JL was to reboot the character inorder to entice Vaughn to jump onboard (I hope).

Mark Millar is easily one of my favorite writers (up there with Bryan Vaughn, Brubaker and Wood) and Red son and his work on Superman adventures proved that he gets the character and so I wouldn't mind if he was brought on to provide ideas but nothing beyond that. Leave the script writing to the professional scribes.

With few exceptions, like Stardust, Vaughn's work is primarily youthful superhero/spy team ups layered with nostalgic 60s era spy cliches. I don't think he writes women or people of color well, and his work doesn't seem to have any mythological or epic quality. I think the only thing he nailed in First Class was the Charles/Eric dynamic.

I don't think Vaughn loves Superman. I think Mark Millar loves Superman -- a very narrow definition of Superman -- and Vaughn and Millar are buddies. Vaughn's thoughts on Superman never get past the superficial. It's shallow nostalgia and cliche buzzwords with no substance. If anything of substance has been said about Superman, then it probably came from Millar, who has some dubious ideas about the character.

Millar's Red Son may be a well-regarded story, but like Waid's Kingdom Come, it's not a very good Superman story. When your best Superman word is an Elseworld, I don't think that's a particularly strong endorsement. Millar's work on Superman Adventures proves that Millar "gets" an old-fashioned, outdated, and shallow version of the character. His Superman stories are as childlike as the cartoon he is drawn to resemble.

I don't for a second believe Millar and Vaughn, or just Vaughn, could pull off the balancing act between the cosmic and human that would be required in a Superman sequel set in the DCEU. I want the kind of storytelling that Grant Morrison, Geoff Johns, and Greg Pak inspire. Bold, new, creative, cosmic, human, witty, romantic, adventurous, mysterious, and filled with images and ideas about truth and justice relevant to our times.

I don't want to see anything from Millar unless it's someone else using his ideas with their own twist.

^ All we need now are a GL (John Stewart would probably be the best one at this point), a Hawkperson (I'd prefer Hawkgirl personally), and MM. And maybe a proper live-action GA for good measure? Because the one on the CW sucks.

This One ?

Text-less Poster

4w3b_O0_C.jpg

Hi Resolution Bigger Image (Right Click, Open Image in a new Tab)
4w3bO0C.jpg

Thanks! That group shot is just beautiful, I can stare at it for ages. I'm a huge Alex Ross fan, and it looks perfect now with Henry as Superman. Now THAT is the Justice League. :db:

at this point i just want to see another Superman movie with Cavill and as long as that happens i don't care who the director is tbh.

Kingdom Come is one of the best Superman stories of all time for me. It handled the concept of Superman having to confront a darker more cynical modern world better than BvS and Superman Returns (both of which tried to deal with the same subject matter). How is that a bad Superman story? I would love a Superman movie as good as Kingdom Come.

I'm dying to see red son, I have no idea how they would do that though

^ All we need now are a GL (John Stewart would probably be the best one at this point), a Hawkperson (I'd prefer Hawkgirl personally), and MM. And maybe a proper live-action GA for good measure? Because the one on the CW sucks.

Shazam, Mera, Black Canary, Zatanna, Vixen, Blue Beetle, Supergirl, Nightwing, Huntress, Captain Atom......

Kingdom Come is one of the best Superman stories of all time for me. It handled the concept of Superman having to confront a darker more cynical modern world better than BvS and Superman Returns (both of which tried to deal with the same subject matter). How is that a bad Superman story? I would love a Superman movie as good as Kingdom Come.

I liked KC, but I have to say I wasn't a big fan of superman giving up on humanity, although he did redeem himself at the end.
For me though Action #775 is a better version of that story.

I'm dying to see red son, I have no idea how they would do that though

Speaking of Mark Millar, he did say that he knows from 2nd hand accounts that WB were talking to directors about a red son movie adaptation, but after JL's failure, I don't know whether that's still the case.

Wow, that's bad. This is one of the reasons I don't like the Jesus analogy for Superman. Not only does it not work for Superman, but you get people who don't actually understand the Christian religion trying to adapt it to a secular character, and it just doesn't turn out well.

He doesn't have to be Jesus himself, but he would be looked at as savior figure with those powers and his sense of goodness. People would look to him in that way. He was originally space Moses, and while that is still a part of his character, the more powerful the character got over the years, it was hard to deny the savior aspects of the character, too. In fact, the savior aspect to Superman has been around for half his existence since it was portrayed in the Donner films 40 years ago.

at this point i just want to see another Superman movie with Cavill and as long as that happens i don't care who the director is tbh.

If JL breaks even... maybe. If it loses money... forget it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"