James Cameron's Sequel to "AVATAR" - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
They said they should be filming this month.

i think if Avatar 2 was 1 month before filming there would be more press. i know that its motion capture. but still. its Cameron and the sequel to Avatar.

^^^^That's Jennifer Lawrence as your Avatar? All this time I thought it was Tyra Banks! Da ****?

They said they should be filming this month.

Yeah, I'm not sure about that. It could be kept a secret since it's in-studio, but I think we would have heard something by now. Maybe they're counting on that surprise-factor, like the first movie.

Yeah, I'm not sure about that. It could be kept a secret since it's in-studio, but I think we would have heard something by now. Maybe they're counting on that surprise-factor, like the first movie.

That's what I'm thinking. With the first one, we didn't get anything about that movie until 4 months before the movie actually came out.

That's what I'm thinking. With the first one, we didn't get anything about that movie until 4 months before the movie actually came out.

I prefer mystery surrounding a movie. Makes it more exciting and fulfilling when you watch it.

I'll be in line to watch it if it's true. Damn, 2015 is already draining my wallet and it hasn't even started yet. :csad:

James Cameron tips Hobbit to spark film revolution
Oscar-winning director James Cameron predicted Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit" would do for high-definition film-making what his own hit "Avatar" did for 3D movies.

WELLINGTON (AFP) - Oscar-winning director James Cameron predicted Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit" would do for high-definition film-making what his own hit "Avatar" did for 3D movies.

Jackson has filmed "The Hobbit" at a groundbreaking 48 frames a second rather than the standard 24, a move that drew mixed critical reactions when a preview was screened in Las Vegas in April.

But Cameron, a surprise guest at the premiere of the first instalment of "The Hobbit" in Wellington on Wednesday, said he faced similar scepticism pioneering modern 3D techniques on "Avatar", now the highest grossing film of all time.

He said Jackson's latest movie was destined to be a hit, making it easier for him (Cameron) to employ 48 frames a second which eliminated the "strobing" seen in standard films.

"If there is acceptance of 48, then that will pave the way for Avatar (sequels) to take advantage of it," Cameron told reporters.

"We charged out ahead on 3D with Avatar, now Peter's doing it with the Hobbit. It takes that kind of bold move to make change."

Jackson this week likened the higher shooting rate to the introduction of compact discs, saying it was the way of the future for film.

"I personally think it's fantastic, but it's different," he told Radio New Zealand.

"I remember when CDs came in and there was a nostalgic feeling that the sound of a needle on vinyl was what music should sound like -- suddenly you've got this pristine clarity and a lot of people were nay-saying it."

Cameron said Jackson was a singular film-maker who had turned the New Zealand film industry into a global force.

"He's elevated the industry to a global level, where people from all over the world -- artists, film-makers, special effects technicians and so on -- come here to work, that's unique," he said.

"It's really only happened a couple of times before, in Los Angeles and maybe London... it's the first time it's been done by a single film-maker."

Cameron, who owns a farm in New Zealand, said he was on the property working on scripts for sequels to "Avatar", complaining: "Unfortunately it's too damn distracting because it's so beautiful".

He said he hoped to have the scripts completed by February and begin filming by the end of next year.

"I want to get these scripts nailed down, I don't want to be writing the movie in post production," the director said.

"We kind of did that on the first picture, I ended up cutting out a lot of scenes and so on and I don't want to do that again."

Cameron, originally from Canada, said he was enjoying the relaxed lifestyle in New Zealand.
"We knew our immediate neighbours in a couple of mile radius a heck of a lot better in the first few weeks than we did in Los Angeles in 10 years," he said.

Good for Cameron...and I wish I can go to New Zealand.

With the first one, we didn't get anything about that movie until 4 months before the movie actually came out.
I remember some people on these boards saying how the movie would flop and how terrible marketing was because of that :hehe:

I'm looking forward to seeing what Cameron comes up with, and of course i'd love to know the details, but i'll be fine if they do keep most of it a secret like last time.

Oh I remember that, people said it would be the biggest flop of all time.

I'll never forget SonofKrypton being right the entire time, and we thought he was insane. He got the last laugh after all.

lol yeah, good times.

I wish he didn't get banned just so he can post how right he was and how wrong we all were. I remember predicting it be close to Titanic numbers.

Lol I remember him. We all thought he was deluded never realizing we would be the deluded ones.
Perhaps he is lurking right now, laughing at us.

While he ended up being right, the dude was INSANELY persistent about it.

I remember reading SFX magazine someone saying that the movie would bomb and Cameron would end up directing episodes of Smallville.

Fox closes $400 million co-financing pact
Deal will help fund the next two 'Avatar' films
Rachel Abrams said:
Exclusive: Marking the first slate financing arrangement to close since the financial meltdown of 2008, 20th Century Fox has made a deal for just north of $400 million to help fund nearly all its films over the next five years, including the next two "Avatar" pics, multiple sources have confirmed to Variety.

New deal also marks Fox's first major financing under the sole chairmanship of Jim Gianopulos, who took over running the studio after co-topper Tom Rothman left his post at the end of last year. The duo ran the studio at the time of its first pact with Dune.

Uh, Avatar? I tried to watch it on a bus ... it was sooo boring. First half an hour made me so sleepy I gave in.

Dunno whatta say about Avatar sequel. Well the first movie did not satisfy me. A sequel, really?? Nope. Not going there

I loved Avatar! I'm still hoping for a 2015 release for the sequel.

Uh, Avatar? I tried to watch it on a bus ... it was sooo boring. First half an hour made me so sleepy I gave in.

Why would you watch a film like Avatar on a bus on, presumebly, as small a screen as your smartphone or tablet?

Here's hoping Cameroon can come up with a plotline as compelling and original as the visuals. The first movie was visually stunning but the story was so derivative.

I got the feeling he had the basic idea of making a movie about a planet with all this cool looking stuff on it and didn't care so much about the story because that wasn't the part he was most interested in.

He was interested in the story, he just didn't make it for us (the older 'geek' market). It was written with 8-80 year olds in mind, hence the name Project 880, before it became Avatar. He deliberately told a simple, Pocahontas story to sell it to families. That's his demographic now.

Wasn't the original treatment, also called project 880 (citation needed), far more graphic and ballsy? I remember it opening with a suicide on an Avatar body by somebody who lost his Na'Vi girlfriend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"