Matt Reeves To Direct The Upcoming Batman Solo

Status
Not open for further replies.
ErikDavisVerified account‏@ErikDavis
ErikDavis Retweeted Birth.Movies.Death.
WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES test screening review calls it "terrific," anonymous says it's "maybe the best movie I've seen this year"

Maybe hyperbole. But good news anyway.

Precedent says it's hyperbole worth listening to. Dawn was tremendous.

Good news. Very interested in how much this production changes now.

Precedent says it's hyperbole worth listening to. Dawn was tremendous.

"maybe the best movie I've seen this year"

It's only February. We still have 10 months of 2017 left and a lot of films to look forward to. :woot:

Yes indeed, Dawn of TPOTA was terrific. I only mentioned that it's a good news as Reeves could use a little bit of added confidence while taking over the Batman.

So is he the right choice again now? :o

This is good news. If it ends poorly, we know who to blame. And it isn't Matt Reeves.

Matt Reeves was always the right choice in my book, given the circumstances. :sly:

I'm not at all surprised to see that the negotiation tactics worked and that he's now officially signed on to direct the film. That said, between this and the Nightwing solo flick announcement today, I had a bit of a thought regarding the rumors of The Batman's storyline and reported source of inspiration on another forum. Figured I should copy and paste it over here and run it by you guys too.

Between this announcement and the report on McKay helming a Nightwing film in the DCEU, I'm starting to question the reports on The Batman apparently being based on Arkham Asylum and the use of Deathstroke as one of the main villains.

Not saying that those reports aren't valid, but between getting someone like Reeves to direct the film, announcing a Nightwing film and the several references to the death of Jason Todd in BvS and SS, it all feels like the natural path for Warner Bros to go in here is to use Under the Red Hood as the primary source material of The Batman's plot.

UtRH has that sort of personal and emotionally complex narrative that would fit a director like Reeves (i.e. Cesar and Koba's friendship/rivalry in DotPotA), it's a natural way to capitalize on the veteran Batman angle they're going with by having Affleck in the role and it'd connect the previous references to what happened to the second Robin while also allowing a possible introduction to the original Robin and his own path to becoming Nightwing (setting up the Nightwing solo film).

Then again, I suppose it could be possible that Under the Red Hood is already a part of the existing plot for The Batman and it just so happens to be set inside Arkham Asylum and feature Deathstroke for some reason.

Your thoughts, everyone?

odd that the WB press release didn't mention Affleck at all.

So anyone think Michael Giacchino might score this sucker? I hope so.

99% sure Giacchino will score the film. No reason why Reeves shouldn't bring him on.

And that's business folks. Welcome aboard Matt.

Reeves' and tha Nightwing film--two pieces of good news that hopefully pan out.

Loved every one of his movies so far, and War looks amazing as well, really good choice.

I think an adaptation Under the Hood could work and also to introduce Nightwing as well.

I'm excited again! I've loved everything Reeves has done except Cloverfield.

Urgh, best movie of the year? it's only February!
Best movie he's seen so far this year. Since he saw Apes, that probably means he's seen other unreleased movies too.

Certainly better than "one of the best movies I've seen this year"....which would still be good.

You know, with him likely bringing Giacchino to score, I wasnt enthusiastic about that. I've been let down by his recent scores. But i just watched the War trailer and that dark, epic sounding score that plays over it just boosted my confidence that he could nail Batman's sound.

(That is Giachhino's score that plays in the trailer right? Lol)

Get the composer who worked on Mask of the Phantasm.

Well for that you'll need a flashlight, a couple of shovels, and a lazarus pit because Shirley Walker died back in 2006.

Get everyone who worked on Mask of the Phantasm. :o

Seriously, though, glad to hear Matt took it, but let's be honest (and this is true of Marvel, too)...the director is mostly name. The studio always controls more than they should. Marvel is lucky because they have people in the studio who look at the source material quite a bit. I feel like WB is mostly money people.

I hope all the best, but DC's track record has been less than stellar.

Final rider in Reeves' contract:

"... furthermore, Warner Brothers guarantees that Mr. Reeves will never ever receive any notes from Zack Snyder on any subject related to motion pictures, from this date into perpetuity..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"