Matt Reeves To Direct The Upcoming Batman Solo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well for that you'll need a flashlight, a couple of shovels, and a lazarus pit because Shirley Walker died back in 2006.
Wow.

That honestly kinda ruined my day. :csad:

Get everyone who worked on Mask of the Phantasm. :o

Seriously, though, glad to hear Matt took it, but let's be honest (and this is true of Marvel, too)...the director is mostly name. The studio always controls more than they should. Marvel is lucky because they have people in the studio who look at the source material quite a bit. I feel like WB is mostly money people.

I hope all the best, but DC's track record has been less than stellar.

I like how you think. Or just make Mask of the Phantasm for live-action. Just to get this scene on scene with Shirley Walker's music or something similar.

[YT]izhn_-x-mlc[/YT]

I want this film to happen, but I'm gonna laugh so hard if he leaves

I like how you think. Or just make Mask of the Phantasm for live-action. Just to get this scene on scene with Shirley Walker's music or something similar.

[YT]izhn_-x-mlc[/YT]

Monumental for me as a child. I remember seeing this and finally feeling the impact of "Batman". Changed my nerd life forever. Mask of the Phantasm will always be my favorite Batman film. TDK is REAL close, but MotP manages to capture the essence of Batman/Bruce Wayne so well.

Also, surprised they had Alfred say "My God." Feels...touchy for a family film. Thought he was gonna say "My word." Don't remember that, but I guess that's why it's in the film--it doesn't matter, lol.

Matt Reeves on TDK:

I will say this: I do think that Chris Nolan’s films, and the films like them, are the ones that made [Dawn] possible. Rise made this possible. With Rise, nobody even expected it to be a hit, and then it was… That was what was exciting for me about The Dark Knight. It wasn’t just successful, it was crazy successful. It took all these elements that were on the surface really commercial, but there were ideas behind them. I thought that the Joker and the exploration of anarchy, the nihilistic terror of that film, was so singular and palpable. I was like, “Oh this is a summer blockbuster, but it’s of a sort that I’ve never seen before.”

I found it interesting that Toby Emmerich was the only WB executive to make a public statement in the press release. Not Kevin Tsujihara.

Emmerich seems to be pretty hands-off with experienced directors.

Ben Affleck welcomes Matt Reeves to the Batcave.

https://twitter.com/BenAffleck/status/834947284672655361

Looks like he's still in.

-R
I already see the usual suspects saying there's STILL no reason to believe Affleck plays Batman in the solo, which is predictable. Reeves getting hired goes against their doom and gloom narrative. So they have to keep that vibe going, along with the tired 'well, look at Rotten Tomatoes' fallback.

Predictable or not Annefan, there really is no reason to believe it at this moment in time.

To be fair...

Affleck "confirmed" on national TV that he was directing the movie just weeks before the announcement that he was no longer directing it. I'm leaning towards thinking he will indeed star in Reeves' film, but I couldn't blame anyone for being skeptical at this point, especially when the rumors are so loud.

Remember, IF Affleck was dropping out, there's no way in hell WB would want that to be announced before Justice League comes out. I'm not trying to be a debbie downer here, I think it's just think a realistic outlook on this includes the possibility that Affleck walks, or does one more film and walks.

Personally, I don't care either way because at least now WB finally has a director that I trust with this franchise.

I'd also say the likelihood of Affleck backpedaling twice is pretty minimal, given the PR nightmare they experienced the first time. I'd think they'd avoid a repeat at all costs, Affleck included.

I'd also say the likelihood of Affleck backpedaling twice is pretty minimal, given the PR nightmare they experienced the first time.
He doesn't have a choice if he actually is going to walk in the future. What's he gonna do, stay in radio silence for a year?

Like I said before I love Ben Affleck as Batman, but Batman is bigger than Ben Affleck like James Bond is bigger than Daniel Craig. If he leaves he leaves. they are never gonna stop making Batman films regardless of if there is or isn't a shared universes he is apart of.

on the surface this feels like really good news and I was elated when I woke up to it. but does anyone find it suspicious, (given the rumors circulating about nightwing becoming the new Batman so Ben can gracefully bow out) that right as the Batman director is announced, we get a "nightwing movie in development" announcement in tandem? I jumped for joy when I saw the story but now that the excitement has subsided it feels a little suspicious.

as far as the batman movie though, I totally would want them to do the under the red hood storyline. I feel like it would perfectly feed off of the relevance and momentum of
a) the easter-egg/set up in bvs
b) the decision to have Batman's murdering play a big part in his character arc in JL
c) the whole fact that Batman is a veteran with a long history behind him which would feel weird not to explore as soon as possible

Batman is their main product. They want him front and centre. They even called Batman the crown jewel in the Matt Reeves media statement. They'd just recast Batman if Ben walked. Nightwing isn't going to become their new poster boy.

Warner bros also apparently confirmed the movie's title will be "The Batman". Not sure if it was 100% confirmed before but apparently now it is.

Batman is their main product. They want him front and centre. They even called Batman the crown jewel in the Matt Reeves media statement. They'd just recast Batman if Ben walked. Nightwing isn't going to become their new poster boy.

I meant they would make dick greyson don the costume and adopt the moniker

on the surface this feels like really good news and I was elated when I woke up to it. but does anyone find it suspicious, (given the rumors circulating about nightwing becoming the new Batman so Ben can gracefully bow out) that right as the Batman director is announced, we get a "nightwing movie in development" announcement in tandem? I jumped for joy when I saw the story but now that the excitement has subsided it feels a little suspicious.

I don't think it's that suspicious I am almost sure Nightwing is going to be in the Batman played by Arnie Hammer.

I think DC/WB would be afraid to go the legacy route.

Matt ReevesVerified account‏@mattreevesLA
Matt Reeves Retweeted Ben Affleck
Ha! Thanks so much, man. So excited.

Matt Reeves added,
C5ZUIQ2XMAI-HTE.jpg

https://twitter.com/mattreevesLA/status/834963502410297344

I guess Umberto Gonzales was right about Reeves' management just playing hardball and using the internet's sensationalist and alarmist tendencies to strong-arm WB into paying more. It can't have been over creative differences right? there's no way those would have been ironed out in like a week

I guess Umberto Gonzales was right about Reeves' management just playing hardball and using the internet's sensationalist and alarmist tendencies to strong-arm WB into paying more. It can't have been over creative differences right? there's no way those would have been ironed out in like a week

Yeah. Umberto has actually been a decent reporter lately, it's good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"