Marvel Films MCU X-Men - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you’re covering young isolated mutants whose powers are just emerging, they are likely to be all over social media. It’s a part of life nowadays, even more so for the young - and it’s prevalent in my generation even now (I’m early 40s).

Apples and oranges. The X-Men will likely deal with public reaction to mutants, social justice topics, and other things that social media has a huge influence on today.
"Civil War" dealt with the public reaction to heroes. Where were the hashtags?
Couple that with the fact that many of them are teenagers/young adults who are much more in-tune with this kind of stuff, and it fits.

MCU Spider-Man started as a YouTube sensation. It's all about context and what fits where.
Homecoming and Far From Home had literal teenagers/young adult characters in starring roles. Were there hashtags in either of those?

Last edited:
It really is all about context: for instance, I think a Dazzler solo movie would be the perfect place to incorporate social media into the MCU conversation surrounding mutants because of her celebrity status in-universe - especially after Dazzler publicly reveals herself to be a mutant: The backlash from fans, maybe touching on online cancel culture, #alisonblaireisoverparty, :funny: - it could be really interesting and very organic.

"Civil War" dealt with the public reaction to heroes. Where were the hashtags?

Homecoming and Far From Home had literal teenagers/young adult characters in starring roles. Were there hashtags in either of those?
As you know, the relationship between humans & mutants, and how the public reacts to mutants is a defining source of conflict for the X-Men. The context is what changes things here.

Civil War was all Government; Ross was a stand-in for the people thought. There's also the fact that the Avengers operate on a national scale so there's no time to take in the finer nuance of public thought. The X-Men by contrast are usually more grounded, more connected to what's going on, on a ground level.

And while HC & FFH don't revolve around social media, it is very much a part of the world those characters live in. The aforementioned YouTube, Flash streaming the events of the movie on Instagram etc. It's a natural part of their world

If you’re covering young isolated mutants whose powers are just emerging, they are likely to be all over social media. It’s a part of life nowadays, even more so for the young - and it’s prevalent in my generation even now (I’m early 40s).
Exactly. I'm 30 and I have a few social media accounts. It's a good way to stay up to date with things. My younger family members (siblings)- are even more into it than I am. It's just a normal part of life for most people, and has been for quite awhile now.

I don’t mind a cowl if it’s retractable. Not sure if good actors are going to be that keen on the role otherwise.

I was also wondering that because if he has a cowl it might be difficult to hear the other actor’s lines

All this talk about the mansion and I’m just sitting here wondering how Cerebro and the Danger Room will look.

I was also wondering that. It’s hard because the last movies nailed that look really. I was trying to google pictures imagining it having like a cool gaming room type vibe but it simply would look too daggy, at least the pics I looked at

On the topic of aging, my only contribution is that Star Trek mentioned Elon musk as something along the lines as one of the greatest minds of this generation and we can already see how that line has aged.

maybe we can think of aging when they do their version of young mutants. I think it’s a bit more forgivable for them to mention pop culture moments that maybe age poorly

Is the "look" of the Danger Room really all that important though? It's classically always just been the original Holodeck from TNG. What it does, which is create artifical environments and opponents for the team to train in different scenarios, is way more important to visualize in my mind than whatever it's dormant state is.

Not just the discomfort, but not being able to act through the cowl.
Unless the actor has really expressive eyebrows, I don't know if a cowl is a significantly bigger problem than a visor/sunglasses.

As you know, the relationship between humans & mutants, and how the public reacts to mutants is a defining source of conflict for the X-Men. The context is what changes things here.

Civil War was all Government; Ross was a stand-in for the people thought. There's also the fact that the Avengers operate on a national scale so there's no time to take in the finer nuance of public thought. The X-Men by contrast are usually more grounded, more connected to what's going on, on a ground level.
Ah the ol' "They've never done it because they couldn't" defense.

We'll see in 5 years time, when we finally get that first X-men movie. Who knows, we probably will be using **s instead of #s by then (just kidding :oldrazz:;))

Last edited:
Is the "look" of the Danger Room really all that important though? It's classically always just been the original Holodeck from TNG. What it does, which is create artifical environments and opponents for the team to train in different scenarios, is way more important to visualize in my mind than whatever it's dormant state is.

yeah. But I guess, you know, things are different now, people have 4K TVs and they make movies and video games to show off how pretty things are looking so they might want to give it a bit of a refresh and facelift.

on cyclops’ mcu look, I am very disappointed in you all for not suggesting his Eric the Red look

yeah. But I guess, you know, things are different now, people have 4K TVs and they make movies and video games to show off how pretty things are looking so they might want to give it a bit of a refresh and facelift.

on cyclops’ mcu look, I am very disappointed in you all for not suggesting his Eric the Red look

There's no male actor working today that has the gams to pull off that look. :o

I think just... The DR is really just a concept. What the concept does by it's nature is more of standout. Besides, outside of like, showing us literally how it works, the nuts and bolts or say, how it all looks without the holograms (And before the idea of "hard light constructs" became a standard sci fi/super hero trope the idea was holograms and other methods essentially heightened the artificial mechanical opponents and situations.) I dont see what can be done to make essentially a big empty room that magically creates any person or environment interesting when it's not doing what it's made for. So... I don't know, I'm guessing when the DR is not in active use it's gonna be pretty tame looking.

On the topic of aging, my only contribution is that Star Trek mentioned Elon musk as something along the lines as one of the greatest minds of this generation and we can already see how that line has aged.

maybe we can think of aging when they do their version of young mutants. I think it’s a bit more forgivable for them to mention pop culture moments that maybe age poorly
Yeah, I've always felt this to be one of the most ridiculous complaints. Just pretend that the movie isn't existing in the current time period because that makes it "timeless"? What iconic movies ARE timeless? Virtually any movie set in a real life time period is immediately placable to that time period. Every movie is dated, and that isn't a problem. Do we complain about Casablanca because its "dated" to the 1940s? Social media is a huge part of the world today. It would be very odd for the X-Men to ignore that, especially if they skew young with the cast.

I'm not concerned about dating the movie and wouldn't say that social media being brought up is bad, but modern movies tend to ignore the extent to which people stare at their phones because in general it just isn't riveting cinema.

Geez we’re long overdue for a new animated series. I wonder if there’s a studio out there that can capture the magic of the 90s series but with a modern flair. It’ll be great to see characters we haven’t seen appear in a series yet like Cassandra nova

Geez we’re long overdue for a new animated series. I wonder if there’s a studio out there that can capture the magic of the 90s series but with a modern flair. It’ll be great to see characters we haven’t seen appear in a series yet like Cassandra nova
I want one so badly, too, but the recent Marvel animation efforts have left a LOT to be desired. Maybe they can poach some members of the CW/Rebels team. An X-Men series at that level would be incredible.

Yeah, they would need to completely reboot the Marvel Animation line for me to anticipate a new X-Men toon on the level of what we've seen before.

Been watching Haunting of Hill House and Haunting of Bly Manor, and I think these two would be perfect for Jean & Scott

victoria-pedretti-age-height-actress-3-1576859959-view-1.jpg

Yeah, they would need to completely reboot the Marvel Animation line for me to anticipate a new X-Men toon on the level of what we've seen before.

yeah it’s true marvels animation has not been great which is odd being part of Disney. I wonder if they could get in touch with one of those South Korean studios that do stuff like Steven universe or avatar. Even I just saw Harley Quinn and that had really good animation

Speaking of the X-Mansion, the stuff Eric could build could be visually stunning and very different from what we've seen on FOX.

images

We can have X-men in X-mansion at first, but then a dramatic fact happens, they move to SF and locate in a new basement called Utopia

Reactions: Lip
Speaking of the X-Mansion, the stuff Eric could build could be visually stunning and very different from what we've seen on FOX.

images
Ha, something like that would be cool for a different base.

Reactions: Lip
We can have X-men in X-mansion at first, but then a dramatic fact happens, they move to SF and locate in a new basement called Utopia

my idea was, the movie opens up with the mansion reveal, like it’s beautiful and stunning like when we first saw Wakanda and all the geeks cheer with nostalgia and excitement for what’s to come.

and then bang, a sentinel puts its boot right through it and all the x-men are like pew pew, fighting it off. It’s a similar introduction to the characters as the x-men 90s animated series. And then the rest is just straight to krakoa or something

Ha, something like that would be cool for a different base.

I'd like to see some pieces of sentinels there. It would be cool.

On another note, guys, did you see that Marvel released some sort of "MCU book" showing notes from Shuri, and those notes leave the door open for both Wanda and Pietro to be mutants?
It's something about HYDRA chosing Sokovia because they found "genetic anomalies" and that was perfect for the tests they were making. So it opens the door for that theory that the mind stone just "woke" Pietro and Wanda's powers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"