Marvel Films MCU X-Men - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
They just introduced the multiverse, Scarlet Witch doesn't have to be our Wanda, we could get another Wanda who is a Mutant in her world.

I really wouldn't mind if the team were almost all teenagers or if they were almost all 20-30 somethings. It really doesn't matter that much.

Having said that, the X-Men have pretty much *always* had a significant amount of teenagers around at any given point in their history, so you can almost certainly assume that somebody is going to be on the younger side no matter what.

And having said *that*, Mutants being a new group certainly does not have to mean everyone's a teenager. If the mutant population has been rising since the snap and mutants are first introduced to the audience in 2025, that's seven years for the original team to grow and train. And the MCU isn't obligated to keep the average age of a mutant's power revealing itself around 13, either. They could mostly get their powers at 16-18 and it would be totally fine. 16+7=23. 18+7=25.

Plus on top of that, the snap is only one possible starting point. The rise of the mutant population could have started around Civil War or Age of Ultron or around the turn of the 21st century if the writers want that to be the case, though the farther back it goes the more it has to be a very slow rise to explain how it took so long for people to notice.
The thing is most of the superheroes are adults and Marvel Studios don't really cast young for most of the roles.

The only ones that are younger (looks like 18 and below) in the MCU are Kamala Khan, America Chavez and Riri Williams. Shuri, Kate, Cassy and Peter Parker don't really look like teenagers anymore and would get visibly older once the X-Men are in full swing.

I really don't want to see the X-Men in crossovers and Cyclops, Jean, Storm are so much younger compare to the likes of Thor, Shang-Chi, the Eternals, the Hulk, Capt. Marvel, Moon Knight, She-Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Blade, Dr. Strange, eXcetera.

How old do you guys want/expect Xavier to be? I'm thinking 60+. But I can see them taking a First Class approach, or an Aunt May one, and casting someone younger.
45 or above. They are probably going to cast someone they could use for more than a decade for the Professor.

How old do you guys want/expect Xavier to be? I'm thinking 60+. But I can see them taking a First Class approach, or an Aunt May one, and casting someone younger.
Between 45-50, I think.
Would be really surprised if Feige goes younger than 40, but who knows........ (hopefully not)

I think they’ll just introduce mutants as being a largely new group of people outside of the few older mutants who you can just say have been laying low while accumulating their resources.

Honestly, not even "laying low" most likely, at least not more than any other superhumans. People with genetic superpowers probably have always been around, they just didn't stand out especially against all the other sources of weirdness. Its the relatively sudden demographic bump that makes mutants start to stand out as a notable and distinct thing, plus the fact that they don't have any natural preexisting ties to communities as part of their origin. A genius or science-accident will typically have ties to the "mad science community" as part of gaining their powers; a magic-user or magically-empowered individual will typically have ties to the "magic community"; even a non-powered skill type individual will probably have links to some organization or master/student system from which they gained training. A mutant? Doesn't actually need to learn anything from anyone else to gain powers, and while training might help the structures to give them training may literally not exist yet, or are only being created right now in the present.

Is this supposed to be an argument for the MCU doing this? I think a lot of these aren't strongly done.The only reveal they gave was that she always had powers, that's not a reveal about how she has them, it wouldn't contradict a mutant reveal, and it doesn't make sense for why Quicksilver had powers, if that's all there is to for that.

In Age of Ultron, they showed exactly how she got powers. It wasn't from heritage, it wasn't from genetics, it was from an alien artifact that was revealed to be an Infinity Stone being used on her be mad scientists. That is. . . not "mutant", not in any way the term is actually used in the comics.

And then in WandaVision, they "revealed"/retconned that, yes, there was a preexisting reason why said experiments worked on her and not on others, and. . . it had zero to do with mutant genetic powers. It had to do with magical talent. Explicit magical talent, the same as present for other witches who also used magic ( and then later explicitly confirmed to be similar forces to that used by trained sorcerers too! ). This is, again, *not being a mutant*. This is the opposite of being a mutant.

You are literally either arguing against or ignoring the actual content of the shows and movies involving her.

In Age of Ultron, they showed exactly how she got powers. It wasn't from heritage, it wasn't from genetics, it was from an alien artifact that was revealed to be an Infinity Stone being used on her be mad scientists. That is. . . not "mutant", not in any way the term is actually used in the comics.

And then in WandaVision, they "revealed"/retconned that, yes, there was a preexisting reason why said experiments worked on her and not on others, and. . . it had zero to do with mutant genetic powers. It had to do with magical talent. Explicit magical talent, the same as present for other witches who also used magic ( and then later explicitly confirmed to be similar forces to that used by trained sorcerers too! ). This is, again, *not being a mutant*. This is the opposite of being a mutant.

You are literally either arguing against or ignoring the actual content of the shows and movies involving her.
They didn't show that. It was talked about. But even then there was a question mark on how. Ultron himself said that he was wondering why they were only 2 who survived the experiments.

That doesn't make sense, because Pietro is never developed to have magic. He has superspeed. However, as far as I know, Wanda is a mutant in the comics and her powers are also chaos magic, so her being a mutant doesn't contradict that.

I think they’ll just introduce mutants as being a largely new group of people outside of the few older mutants who you can just say have been laying low while accumulating their resources.
Honestly, I have seen so many theories for how mutants get introduced into the MCU and this is the one I have always liked the most. There is no need to make this complicated.

I really don't envy the people who will be writing and directing future X-Men projects. From my experience the X-Men fandom is perhaps the most hardcore comic fandom out there.

Maybe I've been looking in the wrong places, but I think Star Wars and Star Trek fans are still way worse. Not that the X-fans won't be bad enough anyway.

Maybe I've been looking in the wrong places, but I think Star Wars and Star Trek fans are still way worse. Not that the X-fans won't be bad enough anyway.

I agree with you there. That's why I said "the most hardcore comic fandom". Actually, I don't even mean that the X-fans are toxic. It's just that there's so much history to the X-Men and there are so many characters that a lot of people are bound to be disappointed no matter what Marvel does.

Honestly, I have seen so many theories for how mutants get introduced into the MCU and this is the one I have always liked the most. There is no need to make this complicated.

Agreed. The resurgence in population gives Marvel a perfect excuse for the 'sudden' proliferation of mutants in the MCU. It's vastly preferable to porting mutants in from some corner of the Multiverse :whatever:

As for Wanda, I can see how ret-conning her again could be problematic. However, if Marvel does decide to use her as a gateway into the mutant concept, I'm not gonna stand up in the theatre and throw my popcorn at the screen either. I can think of far worse ways of introducing mutants into the MCU...

Last edited:
Wanda is a poster child for Ret conning in both the comics and even the MCU. At this point her character and powerset are all over the place in the MCU. Making her a mutant, Inhuman or space God next won't be a surprise...

Have we gotten any word on a release year for X-Men? I am starting to think maybe the reason the X-Men haven't had as much news as other things is maybe once we are done with the Multiverse stuff, the next big thing may be a Mutants Saga.

Was having this thought when talking to my brother, and I don't think the multiverse stuff can really last 11 years like the Infinity Saga did. Way more projects per year I think the multiverse is harder for your average person to grasp and the novelty will wear out. So I think the shelf life is smaller. Plus, heard rumors something like Secret Wars could be targeted for like 2026. Not from the big trades, but it is something I have seen pop up a few times. That would sound right to me. But the question is always where does the story go next? What can be bigger than Secret Wars?

This may be where mutants come in. So after we deal with the possible end of the multiverse, maybe the next big thing is a world where anyone can have powers? The X-Men are going to introduce a slew of new characters and villains that can become big bads. Plus you get things like maybe Avengers vs X-Men and such. They can support a lot of phases with popular characters. So to me this would make sense why maybe Feige is holding off on them so much.

Just my thoughts. I know many would hate waiting that long for X-Men and such...but this logic makes sense to me.

Have we gotten any word on a release year for X-Men? I am starting to think maybe the reason the X-Men haven't had as much news as other things is maybe once we are done with the Multiverse stuff, the next big thing may me a Mutants Saga.

Was having this thought when talking to my brother, and I don't think the multiverse stuff can really last 11 years like the Infinity Saga did. Way more projects per year I think the multiverse is harder for your average person to grasp and the novelty will wear out. So I think the shelf life is smaller. Plus, heard rumors something like Secret Wars could be targeted for like 2026. Not from the big trades, but it is something I have seen pop up a few times. That would sound right to me. But the question is always where does the story go next? What can be bigger than Secret Wars?

This may be where mutants come in. So after we deal with the possible end of the multiverse, maybe the next big thing is a world where anyone can have powers? The X-Men are going to introduce a slew of new characters and villains that can become big bads. Plus you get things like maybe Avengers vs X-Men and such. They can support a lot of phases with popular characters. So to me this would make sense why maybe Feige is holding off on them so much.

Just my thoughts. I know many would hate waiting that long for X-Men and such...but this logic makes sense to me.
I also have been thinking about mutants and the X-Men only being introduced after Secret Wars. Which is deeply sad to me, but it's possible.

MoM I believe was our last hope of hearing about mutants, and given what the writers said about this introduction possibily taking too much away from Wanda and DS's story, I believe mutants will only be introduced in the first X-Men movie.

And also, I don't see mutants being the next big thing.

I hope Marvel Studios' X-Men come out in 2025. I want a new X-Men movie every 2 years but that seems unrealistic given Spider-Man (who is with Sony) only got that privilege. So I'm thinking like the old foX days, it'd be 3 years minimum per movie.

2025 - X-Men
2028 - X-Men 2
2031 - X-Men 3
2034 - X-Men 4

I'm not sure Avengers: Secret Wars would be out first. I think we need to know the complete 2024 slate first, but I'm having a hard time aXcepting, that there's no X-Men film from 2020 to 2025. siX long years baby!

Have we gotten any word on a release year for X-Men? I am starting to think maybe the reason the X-Men haven't had as much news as other things is maybe once we are done with the Multiverse stuff, the next big thing may be a Mutants Saga.

No. Fans mistakenly thought once the merger was announced they'd start trading characters right away. And then the pandemic basically set everything back two years.

The mcu has embraced so many comic book looks. And even though that mask looks clunky, the audience would eventually get used to the Wolverine wearing something like that.

I saw a proposal online today and I wonder what people would think of it...

- On the one hand some people have wanted the FOX-Men to merge into the MCU somehow, but it is likely that not all actors could or would want to return and it would get us stuck with the same interpretations we've had for decades now rather than progress.
- On the other hand some people have wanted the mutants to just have existed in the MCU all along, but some have taken issue with how implausible it would be for them to not be discovered yet if they're out there.
- Some people have suggested the solution of merging another universe with mutants we've never seen into the MCU as a compromise, but that would not have the same impact if we've never seen the X-Men universe before.

There are of course some more solutions people have proposed, like some event relating to the Celestials triggering the activation of the X-gene or whatever, but what I saw today was this suggestion:

In a Secret Wars project or whatever, merge the MCU not with the FOX-Men universe, nor with an original universe, but instead introduce live action versions of the X-Men '97 characters into battleworld and merge (part of) (a version of) that universe. That way we'd get new actors in the roles for the first time in live action, but it's still from a universe that's not unfamiliar. It would also guarantee some of the most popular X-Men right from the start in classic costumes. The writer of the reboot said this about it potentially having connections to the MCU:
Beau DeMayo said:
The one thing I can say towards that is, I know sometimes we say, No comment,’ and it’s like, ‘They’re just being obstinate.’ I’m gonna go with no comment here because part of the surprise will be finding that out when you experience the show.

What would you think about that? Would it be an issue with that series already having gone through some major storylines like Dark Phoenix and Age of Apocalypse? Perhaps this could still be combined with mutants starting to appear in the wider MCU afterwards? Maybe Morph doesn't make it to the MCU and starts the Exiles with some version of Blink and some other people that were on Battleworld?

Personally I think I'd still just prefer having mutants originate from the main MCU rather than a multiversal origin, but at least this sounds better than reusing the FOXverse. Thoughts?

but instead introduce live action versions of the X-Men '97 characters into battleworld and merge (part of) (a version of) that universe.
TAS was great and is certainly very beloved to this day. But that show had 0 character development. When it starts, Cyclops is already Cyclops, Storm is already Storm, etc...

Listen, I am not part of the group who wants teenage X-Men, but I certainly don't want them starting like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"