Michael Giacchino WILL score The Batman

Still in awe of how great this score is. Not that I doubted Giacchino, he's great, but to match Elfman and Zimmer's works for bats is not an easy task. Batman's main theme itself, I found a little bit repetitive at first, but it worked so well in the movie, specially at the beginning. All themes worked well in the final film.

L6XttDY.jpg

njqgqlZ.jpg

9QJxqa3.jpg

Would it be heretical of me to say that, aside from like two or three moments, I didn't really take notice of the score all that much? :oops: It was just kinda there. Kinda like the Brian Eno 'Music for Airports' of Batman movie soundtracks lol. I dug it when it got through to me, but it didn't get through to me often.

Maybe I was just too distracted by all the beautiful visuals and great performances.

I thought Giacchino’s score was both haunting and beautiful, especially Selena’s theme. The score for this movie was reminiscent of the one from Westworld which I love

Would it be heretical of me to say that, aside from like two or three moments, I didn't really take notice of the score all that much? :oops: It was just kinda there. Kinda like the Brian Eno 'Music for Airports' of Batman movie soundtracks lol. I dug it when it got through to me, but it didn't get through to me often.

Maybe I was just too distracted by all the beautiful visuals and great performances.

I’d agree. I actually appreciated that for visuals and audio this movie was more moderated. I don’t know if I’m just a boomer, but I’m really fatigued by the audiovisual overload approach most blockbusters take nowadays.

It seems like a trend that started with Nolan/Snyder/Zimmer and everyone adopted, and I’m not complaining that Reeves switched it up with something more subtle. I liked that the score builds when necessary, but also recedes during less dynamic sections of the movie.

Last edited:
Preordered the Mondo exclusive, should be here in August. ❤️

I really do like the Batman theme, but I hope it evolves more in the sequel. To me the best Batman themes capture both the darkness and the heroism of the character. The theme in this movie feels like the theme for "Vengeance". It is Batman-ish, but it doesn't quite capture the full spectrum of the character IMO.

I really do like the Batman theme, but I hope it evolves more in the sequel. To me the best Batman themes capture both the darkness and the heroism of the character. The theme in this movie feels like the theme for "Vengeance". It is Batman-ish, but it doesn't quite capture the full spectrum of the character IMO.
i'm not trying to be rude but have you even watched this movie or listened to the soundtrack?
The main theme has many parts not only the vengance leitmotif. There's close to 10 variations of the motif + an entire bruce wayne theme that's merged with the batman theme at the end.

That's because there isn't necessarily one leitmotif that encapsulates the entire character. Instead, Giacchino's entire suite is meant to do that

Rather than trying to sum up the character in one melody, Giacchino expands on the two sides of the character and devotes a wholely different melody to each side of the character. One for the more hopeful side, one for the dark and vengeful side. And given the intention of trying to make a much more emotionally intimate story with this character, I think this is far more effective than trying to just do one melody that does both. Even Hans Zimmer, in TDK trilogy, does this a little bit. You have the more heroic and inspirational part which you hear at the end of TDK and TDKR as well as the darker side that kicks in when the credits start. Giacchino just expands on that

It’s pretty clear the “all’s well that ends farewell” is the emotional and hopeful part of Batman’s theme.

Maybe it's splitting hairs, but I kind of separate the Bruce Wayne theme from the Batman theme. They serve different purposes in the film. I'm aware there are a few parts where the first few notes of the Bruce theme are incorporated, but it's still a much darker vibe. I'm talking about incorporating some more heroic flourishes in the action cues.

IE-- You could do the Bruce Wayne melody, but ramp it up into a march ala "Like a Dog Chasing Cars" does with Zimmer's "Dark Knight" theme.

Not saying it has to be that, but I'm just saying, the Bruce Wayne theme is used in quieter moments in the film whereas the Vengeance theme and the darker tones of that dominate the stuff with Batman in action. I think there could be an opportunity to reflect Batman's development into hero with the music in the next film, that's all I'm saying.

Really dug the score in the film. Intro was amazing.

Question. Does anyone remember where (and if) in the film we get the full crescendo of the theme that we hear on the "The Batman" track? I'm scanning my memory and questioning if we ever get that full build-up from piano to the orchestra at full blast.

I'm not sure if it ever gets all the way there, but I think the closest is at the end of the batmobile chase.

The Riddler theme with the child choir is amazing.

Maybe it's splitting hairs, but I kind of separate the Bruce Wayne theme from the Batman theme. They serve different purposes in the film. I'm aware there are a few parts where the first few notes of the Bruce theme are incorporated, but it's still a much darker vibe. I'm talking about incorporating some more heroic flourishes in the action cues.

IE-- You could do the Bruce Wayne melody, but ramp it up into a march ala "Like a Dog Chasing Cars" does with Zimmer's "Dark Knight" theme.

Not saying it has to be that, but I'm just saying, the Bruce Wayne theme is used in quieter moments in the film whereas the Vengeance theme and the darker tones of that dominate the stuff with Batman in action. I think there could be an opportunity to reflect Batman's development into hero with the music in the next film, that's all I'm saying.

You're not wrong in that it's essentially a "Bruce Wayne theme" vs "Batman theme", but the thing you gotta remember is in this movie,

there isn't really as separation between the two beyond an inherent anxiety whenever he's out of the suit. By all accounts, in this movie, Bruce and Batman are the same person in terms of personality. Bruce's theme is not the theme of a different character, it's just the theme to the other side to the same character. The themes are separate, but they're of the same character even in the sense of the typical separation between Bruce and Batman. That just doesn't exist in this movie.

You're not wrong in that it's essentially a "Bruce Wayne theme" vs "Batman theme", but the thing you gotta remember is in this movie,

there isn't really as separation between the two beyond an inherent anxiety whenever he's out of the suit. By all accounts, in this movie, Bruce and Batman are the same person in terms of personality. Bruce's theme is not the theme of a different character, it's just the theme to the other side to the same character. The themes are separate, but they're of the same character even in the sense of the typical separation between Bruce and Batman. That just doesn't exist in this movie.

I get you, but that's also why I'm saying I hope to see it evolve in the next film. I think the seeds are there to create a 'second movement' of sorts for the theme. We'll see how it goes. The simplicity of the theme is very effective, can't deny that.

...waiting for the basic pressing, $50 is a bit high - and not Mondo's best art.

I listened to the score prior to the film and I loved it, but while watching the movie it's even better! It's honestly my favorite score from Giacchino so far. It's hard to even think of a track that is my favorite, but the opening is always the one to spring to mind. You can literally feel the fear of Batman in this track as almost a mythical creature. It's truly incredible.

Guess what movie I watched lately

I did not think that Giacchino was inspired by John Williams when composing for this movie, but I'm enjoying this similarity.

I've lowkey have been wanting someone to use this Batman theme for the ending of the Schumacher films... :smgs:

`Having a nightmare getting this on CD in the uk, so I have got my sister on the case. In florida.

I really hope Giacchino cooks up a theme for the Penguin series. Arkham too, if that comes to fruition.

I listened to the score prior to the film and I loved it, but while watching the movie it's even better! It's honestly my favorite score from Giacchino so far. It's hard to even think of a track that is my favorite, but the opening is always the one to spring to mind. You can literally feel the fear of Batman in this track as almost a mythical creature. It's truly incredible.

I kid you not, I listened to this track around 10 times before even seeing the film.

After seeing it, I have probably listened to this 15-20 more times.

It's my favourite track from the score - a true masterpiece.

I really hope Giacchino cooks up a theme for the Penguin series. Arkham too, if that comes to fruition.
Damn, you just made realize we're not likely to get the same production crew for all the spin-offs.

Whoever are the replacements have tremendous shoes to fill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"