• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Homecoming No spider sense??

I just watched the movie, he definitely can't have spider-sense. He gets surprised by pretty much everything.

I just hope that by Infinity War his Spider sense will be fine tuned

The Animated Series had the coolest visualization of the spider sense too so I'm glad they showed it off a lot.

Definitely agreed!

I just got back from Homecoming and he definitely has Spider-sense although it's not emphasized.

I just watched the movie, he definitely can't have spider-sense. He gets surprised by pretty much everything.
He has it, he just doesn't understand it. In Civil War he mentioned only having the powers for 3 months, well this movie is right after Civil War. We shouldn't expect him to master it and understand it. Spider sense is also just that a sense, it does not automatically move his body for him.

He has had his powers for 6 months. So I am perfectly fine if this power advances at later stages.

And by the way Holland portrays this Peter/Spider-Man he wouldn't know what to do with it even if he did have it fully developed lol.

Except... That's not what he said. The statement in the article said they weren't going to "lean into" that as much as other films have in the past. He also indicated a willingness to "explore" that ability more in the future. The supporting evidence is also laughable. I mean... Toby and Andrew both took shots from opponents in their films, did that mean they didn't have Spider-Sense either?

But... Fanboys gotta fanboy I guess.

There it is. Nothing more to say.
Well said

Spider-Sense was always plot dependent. While he got surprised by lots of things, he also dodged things coming at him while hanging from a plane while getting sucked into a turbine.

On second viewing I counted at least 3 times where he dodges a hit he could not have seen coming without his Spider-Sense.

The only part that puzzles me a bit is how he was taken completely off guard by Shocker. That shouldn't have happened lol.

They just are being a lot more subtle about it before. So it's not like time freezes and he can sense everything around him including a fly and then matrix his way around it like in the first Raimi film. And it's not a vague precognition like sensing something dangerous from several blocks away like ASM2. Not that either of those depictions are wrong or bad, they were just more prevalent. Screen time given to explain it, sound effects used to signify it. This just decides to be different. And I don't mind it, though Civil War did a much better job at showcasing it.

On second viewing I counted at least 3 times where he dodges a hit he could not have seen coming without his Spider-Sense.

The only part that puzzles me a bit is how he was taken completely off guard by Shocker. That shouldn't have happened lol.
See below
Spider-Sense was always plot dependent. While he got surprised by lots of things, he also dodged things coming at him while hanging from a plane while getting sucked into a turbine.

Also I'm not sure which comic it was from, Maybe Ultimate Spider-man (not associated with the cartoon) where it's describe as a tingling sensation on the back of his neck. Just a vague feeling and couldn't always pinpoint it or notice it. Give the sense of urgency in that sequence I could see him not noticing it.

Butt yeah, misleading article titleleading an unnecessary debate.

This is one of my few issues with this movie. The only time I really saw any thing that you could say was his spider sense was when shocker was behind him. Another then that its like he didn't have it at all.

He has the spider-sense; I don't really see how this is an issue.

In Civil War, he showed that he had it numerous times (in his room with his quick reaction times and multiple times during the airport fight).

In Homecoming, he dodges punches from that robber in the bank and obviously has it or else he would've been skewered by the Vulture ten seconds into their final fight.

I admit, they could've been a bit more obvious about it (and some other things, like Uncle Ben and mentioning his origin just a bit more) but he clearly has the spider-sense, it's just now the super-slow motion, time-freeze spider-sense of the previous films.

Also, I'm pretty sure a lot of the times he is blindsided or caught off-guard in the film, it's for comedic effect and to show he's young and unfocused, which was a big plot point in the film; he was too enthusiastic about being an Avenger and not about honing his skills as Spider-Man.

Honestly, the only moments I was bothered by his Spider-Sense not warning him were the two times he accidentally revealed his identity in the movie.

Spider Sense probably wasn't at its full potential, because of the way Tony Stark coded his suit, Tony Stark is probably going to unlock more functions and improve the Spider Sense once Spider-Man matures and hones his skills in later Marvel movies.

Spider-Sense is a tricky thing for writers apparently when staging an action sequence because they almost never take it into account, maybe because it diminishes the possibilities for each action beat?.
If you introduce the Spider-Sense in any of the action sequences of any film, it will most likely change them drastically. I really think this is something they need to explore in further films. I don't mind that he doesn't have them now (maybe because he just got his powers and is learning to control them) but they need to address it at some point.

It's obvious he has it, I just would've liked that they incorporated a sound effect to showcase it was there. I don't need a slow-mo sequence. The spider-sense only alerts him of danger not in his direct line of sight, so there were a couple of moments I was bothered he didn't see coming. Shocker surprising him when he's leaving the school, and Vulture swooping in on him by surprise. I don't care that he got hit, but it bothered me he wasn't even aware of the danger from either.

It's obvious he has it, I just would've liked that they incorporated a sound effect to showcase it was there. I don't need a slow-mo sequence. The spider-sense only alerts him of danger not in his direct line of sight, so there were a couple of moments I was bothered he didn't see coming. Shocker surprising him when he's leaving the school, and Vulture swooping in on him by surprise. I don't care that he got hit, but it bothered me he wasn't even aware of the danger from either.

Yeah I don't mind them playing it low-key but I definitely prefer when there's a sound effect or even better how they did it in the 90's series.

I think those two moments would have been a bit more exciting if there was an effect right before he gets hit.

Honestly, the only moments I was bothered by his Spider-Sense not warning him were the two times he accidentally revealed his identity in the movie.

Even that's easily explained: neither of the characters who find out are a threat, so the spider-sense doesn't go off.

Spider-sense was used horribly in the past franchises. Completely inconsistent ability. He clearly had it in CW, they just don't linger on it.

It was that one moment in Civil War where the winter solider thows something at him in the airport, he say's "Oh God" (or something), turns and moves JUST before he's hit. That was before the AI was activated too. So he does have it.

He also senses Ant-Man on Cap's shield.

I think he has it, I just think it's unrefined.

Spider Sense has always been used as a plot device anyway. He will conveniently loses it if the scene needs the villain to land a few punches against Spider-Man, then get it again if they want Parker to live (example: Spider-Man vs Green Goblin in the final scene of the first movie).
While it's certainly true that past movies have been inconsistent, that thinking shows a pretty big misunderstanding as to what his spider sense actually is and does. His spider sense alerts him to danger; it is up to him to figure out what the danger is and act to avoid it.

Last edited:
Even that's easily explained: neither of the characters who find out are a threat, so the spider-sense doesn't go off.

Aloha,
Agreed. From Civil War we see Stark throw the web cartridge at him in his bedroom and he catches it without really looking in that direction. He has all of his Spider powers but they have yet to be fully explored. which is in part what Stark has done with that suit. It's taking all kinds of readings on Peters abilities. Very glad he deactivated the GPS. Spider sense has to be trained like all of his new powers.We are going to grow with Peter in this MCU version of the character.
Spidey rules

Hollywood writers don't know how to use Spider-Sense and probably see it as an easy crutch.

Well, they're right of course. It IS a crutch. If applied consistently and in line with the comics it would render Spidey all but untouchable. You'd need a huge explosion nearby(maybe a nuke) to reliably hit him. What's needed are good limitations on that power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"