Rotten Tomatoes watch thread

Reaction score
Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania

With Peyton Reed back to direct his third Ant-Man film, I would be surprised if the film turns out to be as well received as Spider-Man 3. With higher stakes, I hope Reed delivers his best movie to date and would rival other 3quels like Captain America: Civil War, Spider-Man: No Way Home, Thor: Ragnarok and of course Avengers: Infinity War.

Since this is highly connected to Avengers: Kang Dynasty, I can't imagine Kevin Feige producing this worse than Eternals, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness and Thor: Love and Thunder. Hopefully phase five is off to a good start with this one. So I voted Certified Fresh.

Reviews and scores will be showing up at 12 PM ET/9 AM PT. Based on the latest press showings and tweeted out summaries, the movie is getting rare glowing but mostly mixed to bad reviews. Really looks like this may be headed into somewhere in the Iron Man 2 (71%), Multiverse of Madness (74%), Age of Ultron (76%), and Thor (77%) range of things.

79% start on RT with 14 reviews so far.

52 on Metacritic.

:dry:

RT as usual not updating properly. I counted 16 positive, 8 negative on All Critics.

And now it's not showing any. :funny:

RT as usual not updating properly. I counted 16 positive, 8 negative on All Critics.

And now it's not showing any. :funny:

rh0xzv91r9j81.jpg

Now it's showing 64% with 39 reviews. Only one review visible.

Hmm, not a great start.

Hmm, not a great start.
Could end up being Marvel’s second rotten film, but It’ll likely stabilize between mid-to-high 60% range when it’s all said and done but yeah not a strong start to phase 5 it looks like.

Could end up being Marvel’s second rotten film, but It’ll likely stabilize between mid-to-high 60% range when it’s all said and done but yeah not a strong start to phase 5 it looks like.
Guess we can’t expect Fresh/Certified Fresh every time going forward. It was a ridiculous run.

I wish I could say I’m surprised by these reviews but I’m not. They established the first two Ant-Man movies as lower stakes, fun movies. The first trailer looked like another generic CGI city with monologue-ing villain that we’ve seen a hundred times before.

They lost sight of what made the movies fun and enjoyable for more set-up.

Having a 60% in the first 100 reviews is not good. The good reviews usually are posted first.

I wish I could say I’m surprised by these reviews but I’m not. They established the first two Ant-Man movies as lower stakes, fun movies. The first trailer looked like another generic CGI city with monologue-ing villain that we’ve seen a hundred times before.

They lost sight of what made the movies fun and enjoyable for more set-up.
It's a sad realization that the peak of Marvel mountain is behind us. Are there other peaks coming up? Surely. But there seems to be a creative crisis going on.

That first Ant-Man movie is so visually captivating with the macro photography and the ants and all of that; and I see those ugly a** trailers for Quantumania and I'm like "What the hell happened?!".
The drop in quality is noticeable. It has been for a while.

It's a sad realization that the peak of Marvel mountain is behind us. Are there other peaks coming up? Surely. But there seems to be a creative crisis going on.

That first Ant-Man movie is so visually captivating with the macro photography and the ants and all of that; and I see those ugly a** trailers for Quantumania and I'm like "What the hell happened?!".
The drop in quality is noticeable. It has been for a while.

I think the reason why the first Ant-Man was as good as it was is that it still had Edgar Wright's fingerprints all over it.

Guess we can’t expect Fresh/Certified Fresh every time going forward. It was a ridiculous run.
True, but in terms of metascore three out of four of their most recent movies got mixed reviews. Before Phase 4 the MCU only had three out of 24 and those were all some of their earlier entries. One can't deny that there is a steady decline.

The fears I had of them losing the ability to quality to control their films with so many Disney+ offerings are continuing to happen. It feels like so much effort has been put into getting the Disney+ projects off the ground that they've almost cruise-controlled and neglected the film side. It may be time for Feige and Co. to circle the wagons a bit and start being a bit more focused on getting the Phase 5/6 films right. I'm left wondering if the lingering effects of the pandemic are evident once again since this film was largely conceived, written and filmed on its own and without much consultation with other writers/directors, where Phase 3 had all the film teams working side-by-side and bouncing ideas off one another.

Now it's showing 64% with 39 reviews. Only one review visible.

Now its at 63% with 71 reviews. That's honestly not good. I remember that even Thor: Love and Thunder started out with a much higher score than this (mid-eighties) before dropping hard to the low sixties. This meanwhile is starting where L&T finished and has a lower average score (5.9/10 vs 6.4/10).

In other words, Quantummania is being outperformed by a movie which many regard as one of the worst MCU movies ever made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"