Rotten Tomatoes watch thread

Now its at 63% with 71 reviews. That's honestly not good. I remember that even Thor: Love and Thunder started out with a much higher score than this (mid-eighties) before dropping hard to the low sixties. This meanwhile is starting where L&T finished and has a lower average score (5.9/10 vs 6.4/10).

In other words, Quantummania is being outperformed by a movie which many regard as one of the worst MCU movies ever made.

Well when you look at the math, 63% of the critics had a positive view of it.

Well when you look at the math, 63% of the critics had a positive view of it.

Yes. But its still a far cry from the days when nearly every MCU movie was in the 80's or 90's. Its indicative of a decline in quality.

The fears I had of them losing the ability to quality to control their films with so many Disney+ offerings are continuing to happen. It feels like so much effort has been put into getting the Disney+ projects off the ground that they've almost cruise-controlled and neglected the film side. It may be time for Feige and Co. to circle the wagons a bit and start being a bit more focused on getting the Phase 5/6 films right. I'm left wondering if the lingering effects of the pandemic are evident once again since this film was largely conceived, written and filmed on its own and without much consultation with other writers/directors, where Phase 3 had all the film teams working side-by-side and bouncing ideas off one another.

The thing is though that the D+ series with the exception of WandaVision and Miss Marvel haven't exactly been critical darlings.

Yes. But its still a far cry from the days when nearly every MCU movie was in the 80's or 90's. Its indicative of a decline in quality.

To be honest I think it's a travesty that Iron Man 2 and Thor 2 have higher critical scores than the Eternals (or even Aquaman for that matter).

To be honest I think it's a travesty that Iron Man 2 and Thor 2 have higher critical scores than the Eternals (or even Aquaman for that matter).
To me, Iron Man 2 is a movie that is better on 2nd or 3rd viewing. IM2 was never gonna have that lightning in a bottle effect of the original but I definitely appreciate it more today and it's a lot better than some of the other dreck Marvel has been putting out lately.

Last edited:

Meh, can't say I agree with that. As painfully mediocre as Thor 2 is, at least it doesn't overstay its welcome. Eternals on the other hand...

The thing is though that the D+ series with the exception of WandaVision and Miss Marvel haven't exactly been critical darlings.
The lowest review Disney+ project has been Moon Knight at 82% so its been much more consistent than the film slate. Besides Shang-Chi, No Way Home, and Wakanda Forever, the film slate has been really struggling to stay in the 80s.

The fears I had of them losing the ability to quality to control their films with so many Disney+ offerings are continuing to happen. It feels like so much effort has been put into getting the Disney+ projects off the ground that they've almost cruise-controlled and neglected the film side. It may be time for Feige and Co. to circle the wagons a bit and start being a bit more focused on getting the Phase 5/6 films right. I'm left wondering if the lingering effects of the pandemic are evident once again since this film was largely conceived, written and filmed on its own and without much consultation with other writers/directors, where Phase 3 had all the film teams working side-by-side and bouncing ideas off one another.

I think the big problem is simply that they're making too much stuff in general. In retrospect, it does seem like 3 movies per year was the limit of what Marvel could do while maintaining a high standard of overall quality, and also making sure that everything tied together into the grander narrative of the Infinity Saga. Now we're getting 3 movies per year plus 3-4 DIsney+ shows. Its too much. Not to mention the audience starts to get burnt out due to MCU over-exposure.

Honestly, the best thing Marvel could do right now would be to cut it back to just 2-3 projects per year. But of course the Mouse won't allow that, so we'll just have to watch the slow motion death of this franchise as it is steadily driven into the ground.

Meh, can't say I agree with that. As painfully mediocre as Thor 2 is, at least it doesn't overstay its welcome. Eternals on the other hand...

We'll have to agree to disagree. Thor 2 wasn't just mediocre, it was boring.
Eternals OTOH was definitely interesting and brought something fresh into the MCU despite its flaws.

I guess Ant-Man and Wasp just weren't big enough to win over critics this time.

awkward-smile-gif-6.gif

Feige is spread too thin between the feature films and Disney+. Disney should hire someone to handle the streaming series.

Last edited:
Feige is spread too thin between the feature films and Disney+. Disney should hire someone to handle the streaming series.
I agree. The films are what still pay the bills for the most part and brings in the most viewers so the majority of his focus should be there. It's really not hard to see that the addition of the TV series has had a negative impact on their films.

It’s clear Marvel has lost sight of what made these movies enjoyable and is collapsing under the weight of its own success.

Zemo said it best: An Empire toppled by its enemies can rise again. But one that crumbles from within? That's dead. FOREVER.

In the end, it wasn't DC that defeated the MCU. It was Marvel.

Last edited:
Down to 53%. It'll probably go lower than Eternals at this rate.

Or better yet, do away with the streaming series altogether and focus on the movies for this CINEMATIC universe.

From Feige’s interview with EW that was released today, it sounds like they’re rethinking their Disney+ strategy. Hopefully, that means they’ll put more focus on the quality of the films.

Kevin Feige: I do think one of the powerful aspects of being at Marvel Studios is having these films and shows hit the zeitgeist. It is harder to hit the zeitgeist when there's so much product out there — and so much "content," as they say, which is a word that I hate. [Laughs] But we want Marvel Studios and the MCU projects to really stand out and stand above. So, people will see that as we get further into Phase 5 and 6. The pace at which we're putting out the Disney+ shows will change so they can each get a chance to shine.

EW: So when you say the pace will change, do you mean spacing them out or putting out fewer shows a year?

Kevin Feige: Both, I think.

53%?

The RT score is going subatomic , by MCU standards , at this point

EmotionalGoodEwe-max-1mb.gif

Could end up being Marvel’s second rotten film, but It’ll likely stabilize between mid-to-high 60% range when it’s all said and done but yeah not a strong start to phase 5 it looks like.
This aged well….

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"