Falcon and Winter Soldier SEASON 1, EPISODE 5: TRUTH (SPOILERS)

A pretty crucial difference though is that T'Challa wasn't in the Panther suit in the fight at the Task Force facility.

Panther's strength and fighting abilities don't come from his suit, though.

Again, I understand why it's very important in the storyline of this show. But I don't see anything Walker did being different to what Rhodes also did.
Sam will be an actual icon, I'm sure of that. But the image of a black man wearing the American flag and representing their country was already used in the MCU.
I think there's much more emotional impact -- to people in-universe -- when the hero's face is visible during times of action. Captain America always has a human face, whereas Iron Patriot's pilot is usually fully encased.

Here’s the thing I feel bad that Isaiah got the blunt end of the stick from the military back in the day. However Steve in the first avenger was expecting to get court marshal for disobeying military orders in fact when he returned he turned himself in to Col. Phillips. He gets the recognition of hero from the Soliders around him and in turn the government used that as a platform for the war.

What I’m saying is The Government is using Steve as a maskott of the coat tails of Steve’s heroic accomplishments .

This is from a 2013 interview with Feige:

Again, I understand why it's very important in the storyline of this show. But I don't see anything Walker did being different to what Rhodes also did.
Sam will be an actual icon, I'm sure of that. But the image of a black man wearing the American flag and representing their country was already used in the MCU.

images

Exactly even Tony thought the Iron Patriot rebrand of War Machine was ridiculous and just an attempt of the US Government to save face from the embarrassment of being useless in the Battle of New York.

As a WS fan I'm tired of this excuse, Steve never fights to kill anyone but he won most of his fights, Bucky can fight not to kill anyone but still win or at least look like he's a highly skilled supersoldier with vibranium arm (seriously tptb seem to downplay how powerful having a vibranium arm on a supersoldier could be). They are doing him so dirty on this show.

I'm not seeing it, I mean how boring would it be if he is just OP and beating everyone with ease? He took out the flagsmashers easily once he knew they were Super Soldiers. He also cleared out a bar without breaking a sweat against multiple armed assailants. We also don't know much about the new SS Serum, the dr said it was perfected and efficient, could be giving Walker a bigger boost for all we know.

Either way, I think he's fine.

The fight between Walker and Falcon and Bucky reminded me of the fight between Iron Man, Cap and Bucky in Civil War. Yet again Bucky got knocked out cold. Maybe Walker could've also done that Dora Milaje trick of disarming Winter Soldier as well.
It reminded you of that? Wasn't it blatantly obvious?

If all things are equal, Walker I think is a better combat fighter than both Rogers and Bucky in the MCU. So a super solider version of him should at least go toe to toe with either if he is not superior especially when Bucky is not in Winter Soldier killer mode (it seems a vibranium arm isn’t particularly special). However, being able to fend off both Bucky and Falcon at the same time is a bit of a fairytale. Anyway, it’s not a big issue to me, not that many love to see a lopsided fight that ends in a hurry. They need to establish Walker as a bona fide threat now having juiced up.

I disagree. Steve is a better fighter than Walker. I do agree though, I think he should have had a tougher time taking on both Falcon and especially Bucky.

From a story telling standpoint, they have to nerf Bucky to keep Sam and Walker relevant. Winter Soldier would have ended the flag smashers in episode 2. Winter Soldier would kick Walker's butt. If they didn't nerf Bucky, what role would Sam play?

I think the nerf is justified, in that Bucky is recovering from his programming. He's afraid to go full WS mode, because he might not return. In the bar fight scene in Madripoor, Bucky was not mentally healthy after bringing out WS.
I agree with everything you said but it sucks for me :csad:. I was really looking forward to seeing Bucky go all winter soldier on this show (if he doesn't get in on his own show I wander where he'll get it). hopefully he gets a good kickass scene in the finale.

To be fair, Steve had YEARS of experience in non-lethal combat. Bucky, on the other hand, has spent the majority of his time just killing people and then he stopped fighting altogether. Steve's default is to incapacitate; Bucky's default, thanks to Hydra, is to kill. Hard to change that.
That makes sense.

It reminded you of that? Wasn't it blatantly obvious?

It was not. The more blatantly obvious allusion is to John Travolta dancing with Olivia Newton John in Grease during the hand jive dance off and then that other woman cutting in so that he's temporarily got two dance partners before ONJ storms off. :o

So after watching it a few more times (or, more accurately, watching certain bits a few more times **cough**alltheBuckyscenes**cough**), the boat scene, the "next morning" where Bucky comes down to the dock (after seeing Sam's nephews playing with the shield), to me it feels like there's a tension in that scene as they're working on the engine (or is that the water pump?) between Sam and Bucky, or maybe not tension but just an uneasiness (that given the previous day's 'good energy' working on the boat, seems weird to be there). Little bit later, as their working with the shield, Sam brings up Bucky still having nightmares. As I got to thinking about this, I don't think Bucky ever told Sam about the nightmares.

Now, as a Vet himself as well as a former VA counselor, yeah he probably could've guessed that Bucky was having nightmares, but then I also think about the start with which Bucky woke up with... not as violent a one as we saw in episode 1, but he did wake with a gasp and a start (and for a brief moment had maybe a 'where am I' look before he saw the nephews). So I don't think his sleep that night was a restful one and Sam may have seen it (for example when he got up to head to the dock in the pre-dawn hours, he may have noticed Bucky on the couch not exactly sleeping well). Sam, being the good counselor that he is, just lets Bucky start to help, tells him what he needs him to do on the boat and doesn't bring up the subject with Bucky. Instead he waits until a moment when Bucky himself has chosen to open up about what's going on with him before he gives him his counselor's advice about how he might be able to get the nightmares to stop.

yes, some of that may be just my headcanon (but one I'm perfectly happy to live in :oldrazz: ) and reading too deeply into things - feel free to disagree if you do ;) , but (to me) it's just one more "yay" moment for showcasing Sam's VA Counselor background (that I was kind of missing in the earlier episode(s)).

Hope that all made sense (apologies if it didn't)

With the final next friday, I like to ask what are the after credits scene will be propably? From the most likely to might not gonna happen:
  • Walker calls Val with the card?
  • Reveal of the Power Broker (bridge to Shang Chi)?
  • Zemo breaks out from the Raft?
  • Some tease for Armour Wars
  • A scene in Wakanda

Oh that one. Is that the same one where he escaped a few episodes ago? I thought Ayo wanted to bring him to Wakanda so they can jail him there?

No, the prison he was in seemed to be a more normal one. My guesses are as follows:

1. After several years of imprisonment, they moved Zemo to a more normal maximum security prison, because he was well behaved, non-superpowered, and didn't seem to be a flight risk.

2. Wakanda is returning him to US and/or international authorities as a show of good diplomatic faith. "Hey, here's your escaped villain. Your welcome."

With the final next friday, I like to ask what are the after credits scene will be propably? From the most likely to might not gonna happen:
  • Walker calls Val with the card?
  • Reveal of the Power Broker (bridge to Shang Chi)?
  • Zemo breaks out from the Raft?
  • Some tease for Armour Wars
  • A scene in Wakanda
The identity of the power broker should be revealed in the show.
I don't think Zemo wants to break out. I think we'll get a post credit scene with him, but I don't think he breaks out, we'll probably get Ross or Fury recruiting him for thunderbolt series. I hope we get a wakanda scene.

The identity of the power broker should be revealed in the show.
I don't think Zemo wants to break out. I think we'll get a post credit scene with him, but I don't think he breaks out, we'll probably get Ross or Fury recruiting him for thunderbolt series. I hope we get a wakanda scene.

if we get a power broker scene, it'll either be the 1st scene of the episode or a post credit scene.

i can also see a scene where we see walker arrested and put on the raft...and we pan to see zemo in the next cell.

This is from a 2013 interview with Feige:

images

I see Iron Patriot more as a display of US military might, a weapon used for intimidating America's enemies both foreign and domestic. Captain America, however is a symbol of our nation as a whole. He's the guy making speeches, doing interviews, signing autographs and making adorably dorky PSAs.

i can also see a scene where we see walker arrested and put on the raft...and we pan to see zemo in the next cell.

Imagine with Zemo can do with someone like Walker having all the "time and patience" he needs. :hmr:

I

Though the scene was handled very well, I am hoping we see this in live action at some point. In the comics Bradley stole an old Cap suit to wear before heading off on his rescue mission. Maybe one of the top military brass overseeing the black American super soldier was able to procure Steve's old USO suit? And Isaiah liberates (and modifies) it before liberating his comrades?

Isaiah limited series would be great. you know that nurse is someone like peggy carter or something and he swore her to secrecy.

Great visual representation of white privilege. That conversation really made the whole episode, if you couldn’t feel and see where Bradley was coming from then you just don’t get it. Steve and Bucky even got to retain their youth, Bradley just got a rickety house in ratchet ass Baltimore (no shade to Maryland people).

This is why the MCU keeps winning: top notch superhero stories all the while mixing it with real life parallels.

When Isaiah was talking about the shield stars and stripes, I wonder damn what did he think of Rhodes being Iron Patriot?

It was a solid episode, I liked seeing Sam working hard and training to use the shield. It takes actual work to use it since Cap made it look kind of easy. Walker used some basic techniques with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"