Ms. Marvel Season 1, Episode 6 "No Normal" (Spoiler Thread)

7d604e0ea10d5ee6d3f26d0bfcc6ac2ea2c1f752.gifv

64372ef4e20a3ccc5241fcafe2a0c54b82c5b611.gifv

Yep glad they were out of the way. And glad they didn't make Kamran a full on villain because of it but more someone confused, emotional and unable to control his powers.

Kamala helping him was even more touching because of that.
Yeah, they got that all right. The villains were poor enough that they would have brought down the finale but instead we focused on the more important characters and at least there is a bond with Kamran and he doesn't seem like an all out villain so far. Good to show her compassion at this stage too.

I disagree with the suggestion that they're identical. Similar, sure, absolutely. But mutants play on themes of minorities (generally racial or based on sexual orientation). Themes of passing privilege, threats of others from within, etc. are all prominent. Inhumans work best with themes of immigration. Sure, immigrants have themes of being racial minorities as well. But it's trying to balance two identities - being an American and being a foreigner.* I recognize it's a subtle difference. I think if Ms. Marvel was created in the Krakoa era, the difference would be even smaller. But I do think there were things with the decision to make her an Inhuman that couldn't have been done with mutants at the time.

* In the interest of brevity, I'm assuming the themes of Kamala balancing being an American and a foreigner in general are obvious and I don't need to highlight the parallels, but I can if you want to.

You are pushing Kamala's story onto Nuhumans as a whole. Nuhumans are legal distinct mutants made so the comics didn't have to relay on X books. I mean, you can be forgiven for that, considering Kamala is the only Inhuman, Nu or classic, still around. Also don't forget just how international the cast of the X-men can be.

I am also hesitant to try to place themes of immigration onto the Inhumans, because, you know, the monarchy and slaves issue....

You are pushing Kamala's story onto Nuhumans as a whole. Nuhumans are legal distinct mutants made so the comics didn't have to relay on X books. I mean, you can be forgiven for that, considering Kamala is the only Inhuman, Nu or classic, still around. Also don't forget just how international the cast of the X-men can be.

I am also hesitant to try to place themes of immigration onto the Inhumans, because, you know, the monarchy and slaves issue....
I was talking about the role the Inhumans played in volume 1 of Ms. Marvel. I do think it's apparent in other Nuhumans stories (particularly the final arc of All-New Inhumans). But I wanted to go with just Ms. Marvel only.

Technically, Alpha Primitives stopped being slaves back in the original FF story but they kept coming back in that context. It was "definitively" dealt with just before Inhumanity, but I'm sure someone will bring it back in the future. I don't know how immigration theme can't apply to monarchy, though.

I can see the similar shooting there, and that's cool. But that said.....yeah that dude has nothing on Magneto, lol!!!!

It's not saying they're on the same level, it's one of many X-Men hints they've put throughout the show.

It's not saying they're on the same level, it's one of many X-Men hints they've put throughout the show.

I get that. I am just commenting on the quality difference. I am not a huge fan of X1, but that particular scene has always been awesome. The Ms. Marvel one.....meh.

Well, they nailed the finale. This is either my favorite or second favorite of the MCU Disney+ series (only behind WandaVision) and I think it may have surpassed that if episodes 4 and 5 were a little more solid. Unfortunately, I had both the Mutant nod and Brie's cameo spoiled, but most of us assumed Carol would pop up in some capacity. Can't wait to see how that leads into The Marvels though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"