Ms. Marvel Season 1, Episode 6 "No Normal" (Spoiler Thread)

Is there precedent for this in the comics, Kamala being a mutant? Or strictly an MCU thing?

I always think back to when, around Age of Ultron's release, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch's origins were changed (for maybe the millionth time) to say they were products of the High Evolutionary instead of them being mutants. Whatever it was that Marvel changed since they, at the time, didn't have the film rights to X-Men. Makes me wonder if, should this be strictly an MCU thing, her comic origin would change to follow suit.

Nothing new, I know, but I wouldn't be surprised if that happened.

They were for distraction rather than causing damage. If they used anything dangerous then they could have been shot at and killed. This is in keeping with the fun vibe of the show for now too before Kamala and co have to face the harsher realities of superhero life.

Is there precedent for this in the comics, Kamala being a mutant? Or strictly an MCU thing?

I always think back to when, around Age of Ultron's release, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch's origins were changed (for maybe the millionth time) to say they were products of the High Evolutionary instead of them being mutants. Whatever it was that Marvel changed since they, at the time, didn't have the film rights to X-Men. Makes me wonder if, should this be strictly an MCU thing, her comic origin would change to follow suit.

She likely would have been a mutant if Disney had always had the rights to Fox assets but was changed to an Inhuman for pretty much that reason to not help promote Fox products. If her being a mutant becomes very popular in the MCU I wouldn't be surprised to see the comics also eventually allude to it.

They were for distraction rather than causing damage. If they used anything dangerous then they could have been shot at and killed. This is in keeping with the fun vibe of the show for now too before Kamala and co have to face the harsher realities of superhero life.

Not sure why they couldn't do both.

No. In the comics, she's an Inhuman who got her powers by Terrigenesis similar to what was shown in Agents of SHIELD.

I did think Kamala's family scenes were all very touching and uplifting, especially the scene with her father at the end.

teenagers using actual weapons that hurt or kill I don't think is a good look.

Hence the problem. The final battle had no actual buildup or stakes.

Vile I actually liked that whole sequence, and it evoking that Home Alone feeling. When they had Kamala's brother and friends acting as decoys with Damage Control chasing them, I half wanted them to play Scooby Doo chase music LOL.

I didn't care for it as a season finale and a climax to the series. They killed off all their villains in episode 5. That's bad storytelling. This should've happened like midway or partway through the show as Kamala is establishing herself.

Last edited:
Teenagers hurting or killing federal agents is not a good look, whether it's in the MCU or elsewhere in Hollywood, so I could see why they stayed away from doing that.

Teenagers hurting or killing federal agents is not a good look, whether it's in the MCU or elsewhere in Hollywood, so I could see why they stayed away from doing that.

I'm not calling for her to kill federal agents. That's not my point here. My point is this shouldn't have been set up as the big blowoff and final climax to the series. SMDH

And now we go back to the many Hollywood projects that will go back to portraying Muslims in a bad light.

Good to know that Ms. Marvel is a mutant

Had absolutely no interest in this show, trailers and clips just didn’t appeal to me, but wanted to see how the finale would eventually connect with upcoming MCU projects. Got excited to hear about Kamala being a mutant and you get to hear the X-Men theme from the animated series, kinda like what they did in the recent Doctor Strange movie

And now we go back to the many Hollywood projects that will go back to portraying Muslims in a bad light.

You keep going back to that. I do not.

EDIT:

IMHO this was not an issue with the show. It had a diverse cast. Kamala Khan's family was likable and charming. Her community was always depicted as very warm and welcoming. And not in a stereotypical fashion.

Last edited:
Well it's one of the positives about this show.

I agree, but I'm also not talking about that. My criticisms of the handling of the action and bad guys do not involve making the depictions negative or wanting to see negative depictions.

My best guess is the blue light stuff is the wristband and the shape shifting is her mutation

We haven't actually seen her shapeshift at all, though. I'd be thrilled if her mutation is ultimately just her normal comics powerset entirely separate from 'the Noor' but if they didn't even hint at that after an entire season of her own series then I can't get any hopes up for it still happening in the future.

e19472ef281e8a0e86c5a4cabac56532f0642cfc.gifv

6bc96ee8f25500d75508ae5bc910a2fc8e427aa7.gifv

We haven't actually seen her shapeshift at all, though. I'd be thrilled if her mutation is ultimately just her normal comics powerset entirely separate from 'the Noor' but if they didn't even hint at that after an entire season of her own series then I can't get any hopes up for it still happening in the future.

So is she accessing the Noor/Veil to create the Hard Light, or is her mutant power that she can access it? Or is everything she does completely a result of her X-Gene mutation?

Kind of sad to say that I thought the overall finale landed with a big thud for me. I felt most of the payoffs like with Nakia, Zoe, the crowd protecting Kamala at the end didn't work they way they should've because we were missing beats either due to not seeing these characters for 2 or 3 episodes or maybe because this series was woefully short. There was something just very perfunctory about the events as a result.

Despite that, I want to stick with the positives here.
  • Love Kamala being a mutant. Considering her origin came at a time when Marvel Comics were doing their stupid erasure of the mutants by trying to shove Inhumans down our throat, I'm absolutely fine with this change and is an easy out from the Terrigen.
  • Thought the last 5 minutes were great and had the sincerity that was present during the first few episodes.
  • Iman looks great in the suit and I love her in the role. Can't wait to see her in The Marvels. I think she has the ability to steal the show.
  • I think the family element was a big success in this show. I admit the finale was really the only time I found the family stuff forced but for the most part they were fantastic.
I want to do a rewatch of this to see if my opinion changes but the important thing is Iman worked and it's about time we have a positive spin on Muslim characters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"