Ms. Marvel Season 1, Episode 6 "No Normal" (Spoiler Thread)

b3bc6c686c615488197e14160113d81efaae1b81.gifv

b785d5e57870ca561f4d052adf0ea0a193e39751.gifv

what an amazing callback to episode 1 where she was unsure of how her cosplay fit and how tight her pants were.

Welcome to the X-men Kamala Khan. Hope you survive the experience.

I just can't get over them making a character who was created during the push to replace the X-books and mutants, and is in fact, the only success and of that era, and is in fact the only Inhuman you can find in the comic books, into a mutant. **** you Ike. Just a massive **** you Ike Perlemutter.

As for the finale, well, at least there wasn't a Power Ranger battle. And them going Not All Cops is a frustrating tendancy when they even try to pain law enforcement as not good. In one moment, you have Nakia right out saying the reality of how many people have a mosque under surveillance, and then you try to paint the lead agent as going rogue. Though honestly, I'm not sure what is more unbelievable, the cops going through the school like an action team, or cops siding with citizens and not taking their anger out on them. And the final battle shows just how pathetically unneeded the clan destine were.

Everything I've loved about this series still worked. The friends and the family together is amazing. Loved how the Khan gossip train works. And the trio work together so well, it is criminal that they kept them apart for a whole third of the series, no matter how good you think those episodes were.

I'm glad that Zoe joined up with the friends at the end. I was worried they were going to sideline her completely after she served her use. And a nice little wink and nod to the comics, though I am willing to take bets it will never be the right time for Zoe to reveal her true self on Disney+. At least she is unlikely to be randomly killed off, so progress?

In the end, I still need to digest this series. Episodes 4 and 5 really, really hurt the overall series. 6 episodes was not nearly enough time for what they were trying to do. Plot was straight up trash, but a series carried by its cast and their chemistry.

I love how it was handled. Not getting in the way of the show at all, a very quick scene at the end when everything from the show was already resolved. And she reacts as if it’s nothing - “Keys please!” :funny:

That was big enough and then we get Carol at the end to kick off The Marvels hype!

I mean, that was one of the themes of the show. Kamala already has so many labels, what is one more?

I don't get why the recent shows have been only 6 episodes. Most of them needed more time. Then WV was 9 and bloody What If was 9 and She Hulk will be 9. Are they contractually obligated to have only multiples of 3 for episode count?!

I'm guessing the need to finish this series before they started filming the Marvels was the biggest factor of this being 6 episodes.

Is there precedent for this in the comics, Kamala being a mutant? Or strictly an MCU thing?

I always think back to when, around Age of Ultron's release, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch's origins were changed (for maybe the millionth time) to say they were products of the High Evolutionary instead of them being mutants. Whatever it was that Marvel changed since they, at the time, didn't have the film rights to X-Men. Makes me wonder if, should this be strictly an MCU thing, her comic origin would change to follow suit.

Nothing new, I know, but I wouldn't be surprised if that happened.

I mean, the Nuhumans, created to push the X-men narrative and themes onto the Inhumans, were created to replace the X-men and mutants. And considering that Kamala Khan is the only Inhuman who is routinely getting a book and or appearing in the books, not sure why they would retcon. They haven't undone the Wanda and Pietro retcon, though they are moving toward undoing the damage it did.

My best guess is the blue light stuff is the wristband and the shape shifting is her mutation

We haven't actually seen her shapeshift at all, though. I'd be thrilled if her mutation is ultimately just her normal comics powerset entirely separate from 'the Noor' but if they didn't even hint at that after an entire season of her own series then I can't get any hopes up for it still happening in the future.
The show runner confirmed that was actually Carol, not Kamala Khan that shapeshifted into Carol.

DEADLINE: That post-credit scene was such a sweet surprise! Can you confirm if that was actually Carol Danvers we saw or if Kamala somehow transformed into her hero?

ALI
: That is Carol Danvers in Kamala’s bedroom. What you’re seeing is exactly what you think you’re seeing. That’s her, there’s no magic there. All I can say beyond that is to enjoy the movie in one year’s time.

‘Ms. Marvel’ Finale: Series Creator Bisha K. Ali On That Post-Credit Surprise, And What Comes Next

Also notice immediately after Carol appears she’s looking at Kamala’s pictures of her confused - she’s clearly unfamiliar with the place.

Last edited:
I thought the show was very good, and great when it comes to the world building. Her family, her friends, her community, were all perfect and this was a great intro for an adorably dorky young character.

That said, the villain situation and the action scenes definitely let it down, and knocks the show down a couple pegs in my rankings. And after everything, I still don't love the light powers for Kamala.

DEADLINE: That post-credit scene was such a sweet surprise! Can you confirm if that was actually Carol Danvers we saw or if Kamala somehow transformed into her hero?

ALI
: That is Carol Danvers in Kamala’s bedroom. What you’re seeing is exactly what you think you’re seeing. That’s her, there’s no magic there. All I can say beyond that is to enjoy the movie in one year’s time.

Also notice immediately after Carol appears she’s looking at Kamala’s pictures of her confused - she’s clearly unfamiliar with the place.

Good to get that confirmation; that's what I assumed, based on how confused Carol looked (without any cliche looking-in-the-mirror moment). And yeah, her costume looked good, I liked the darker blue and she somehow looked much thinner in the waist in this costume (not trying to fat-shame or anything, just saying it gives her a more dynamic figure, the old costume was very curve-destroying)

yes, it seemed to me like they just somehow switched places... which leads to the bigger question of where was Carol original, and where did Kamala now end up

I'd assume Carol (where ever she was) found the other bangle, somehow activated it/or trigger something, which lead to them switching place

Like Moon Knight the finale for this delivered. They get the family stuff and character interactions spot on here. And Iman Vellani is just so watchable the kid is going places.

Nice that finale was a bit more low key also. Not sure on Kamala being a Mutant yet will see how it plays out.

Like Moon Knight the finale for this delivered. They get the family stuff and character interactions spot on here. And Iman Vellani is just so watchable the kid is going places.

Nice that finale was a bit more low key also. Not sure on Kamala being a Mutant yet will see how it plays out.
With the boring villains out the way it was only good stuff left for the finale. :cool:

What’s funny about the MCU changing Kamala from an Inhuman to a Mutant is that the very reason Kamala was created as a Inhuman in the comics in the first place was because Marvel didn’t have the film rights to X-Men, and they wanted to use Inhumans as a stand-in for them and de-emphasize Mutants. It’s clear to me that if Marvel had the X-Men rights from the very start that Kamala almost certainly would’ve been a mutant in the comics. Now that Marvel has the rights to use mutants without being sued they’re essentially done what the comics would’ve done had the rights situation been different back then. I wouldn’t be surprised if the comics follows suits and retcons Kamala to be a Mutant as well.
Yes and no. I think it's obvious Marvel wanted to be able to cross-promote and couldn't do it with mutants. That being said, there's no reason Ms. Marvel would have been a mutant if they weren't pushing Inhumans, she just would have had her powers some different way. The age of every new character being a mutant had long past well before Marvel's films were at all relevant. FWIW, her Inhuman background works really well in the comics because there's more to it than just a genetic mark. It's an ancestral heritage that was maligned. It worked really well with her Pakistani heritage. The arc before Secret Wars (the one with Kamran) was one of my favorites and precisely touched on this overlap between the parallels.

About the episode itself, I enjoyed it. I was on the fence about everyone knowing she has powers, but the scene with her dad at the end was great.

I'm intrigued about the ending. Definitely an old school Rick Jones/Mar-Vell dynamic.

ETA: Forgot to comment on the costume. It looks amazing in live action! Great adaptation!

Last edited:
Yes and no. I think it's obvious Marvel wanted to be able to cross-promote and couldn't do it with mutants. That being said, there's no reason Ms. Marvel would have been a mutant if they weren't pushing Inhumans, she just would have had her powers some different way. The age of every new character being a mutant had long past well before Marvel's films were at all relevant.
Are you calling Sana Amanat a liar?

Are you calling Sana Amanat a liar?
I'm not going to go that far certainly. Of course, they've never said that at all until this very moment. They acknowledged that the decision to make her an Inhuman was part of a desire to tie her into the creative push of the Inhumans and they wouldn't necessarily have gone that route otherwise (although I don't remember that last claim ever being said before for Ms. Marvel; I remember much more for Moon Girl). But I've never heard either G. Willow Wilson nor Sana Amanat indicate they originally wanted her to be a mutant in any previous interview about the creative process.

Yes and no. I think it's obvious Marvel wanted to be able to cross-promote and couldn't do it with mutants. That being said, there's no reason Ms. Marvel would have been a mutant if they weren't pushing Inhumans, she just would have had her powers some different way. The age of every new character being a mutant had long past well before Marvel's films were at all relevant. FWIW, her Inhuman background works really well in the comics because there's more to it than just a genetic mark. It's an ancestral heritage that was maligned. It worked really well with her Pakistani heritage. The arc before Secret Wars (the one with Kamran) was one of my favorites and precisely touched on this overlap between the parallels.

About the episode itself, I enjoyed it. I was on the fence about everyone knowing she has powers, but the scene with her dad at the end was great.

I'm intrigued about the ending. Definitely an old school Rick Jones/Mar-Vell dynamic.

ETA: Forgot to comment on the costume. It looks amazing in live action! Great adaptation!

Lets not mistake them being forced to make her a Nuhuman, along with the directive to usurp all the mutants themes along the way, with a direct creative choice. It was a choice that they made the best out of. Literally, there is nothing unique about the Nuhumans that couldn't also apply to mutants. Pretty sure that was deliberate on editorials part.

I see they gave Carol a new version of her costume. Wonder if this is the same one that will be in the movie. It's a lot more form fitting and "casual" compared to the other ones she's sported.

Lets not mistake them being forced to make her a Nuhuman, along with the directive to usurp all the mutants themes along the way, with a direct creative choice. It was a choice that they made the best out of. Literally, there is nothing unique about the Nuhumans that couldn't also apply to mutants. Pretty sure that was deliberate on editorials part.
I disagree with the suggestion that they're identical. Similar, sure, absolutely. But mutants play on themes of minorities (generally racial or based on sexual orientation). Themes of passing privilege, threats of others from within, etc. are all prominent. Inhumans work best with themes of immigration. Sure, immigrants have themes of being racial minorities as well. But it's trying to balance two identities - being an American and being a foreigner.* I recognize it's a subtle difference. I think if Ms. Marvel was created in the Krakoa era, the difference would be even smaller. But I do think there were things with the decision to make her an Inhuman that couldn't have been done with mutants at the time.

* In the interest of brevity, I'm assuming the themes of Kamala balancing being an American and a foreigner in general are obvious and I don't need to highlight the parallels, but I can if you want to.

With the boring villains out the way it was only good stuff left for the finale. :cool:

Yep glad they were out of the way. And glad they didn't make Kamran a full on villain because of it but more someone confused, emotional and unable to control his powers.

Kamala helping him was even more touching because of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"