Superhero Cinematic Civil War - Part 58

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm very sorry to hear that, my friend. It astonishes me that with all our modern resources and accomplishments, we somehow someway cannot cure cancer. It baffles me. I wont pretend i know a thing about biology and medicine but i have several intelligent friends who do and have explained it to me and I feel like if we truly wanted to put the money and resources into it, it could be done.

Sadly, you would be wrong. Cancer is a *really really tough* problem. The amazing strides we've made against it over the past few decades are already a massive uphill struggle. Start by realizing "cancer" is not a disease, "cancer" is an end state for hundreds of *different* diseases. There is no one common cause, and thus there can be no one common treatment. That's not the end of the reasons why cancer is a ridiculously hard problem, they continue on from there.

I don't think the polarizing nature of the of the last several projects has anything to do with people not being to accept new characters, and more the fact that every project has lived in the same tier of middling quality, which lends itself to people not totally being interested.

It's hard to generate universal praise when characters lack character, and people are reacting like "meh".

Last edited:
Wakanda Forever is Marvels best sequel. That or Winter Soldier.

Definitely Winter Soldier, giving Winter Soldier is probably the best movie Marvel has made. *cough*

That said, while I would say Wakanda Forever isn't as good as the first Black Panther, its more than good enough given the ridiculous headwinds against it. A movie that has to be completely rewritten because of the death of the main character, and which is effectively turned into a 200M dollar funeral wake? Probably shouldn't work nearly as well as WF does.

I don't think the polarizing nature of the of the last several projects has anything to do with people not being to accept new characters, and more the fact that every project has lived in the same tier of middling quality, which lends itself to people not totally being interested.

It's hard to generate universal praise when characters lack character, and people are reacting like "meh".

And the thing is a lot of these movies introduce these characters as superfluous macguffins and they dont feel like natural character introductions. Riri and America Chavez for example both felt shoehorned into their respective movies. It didnt feel natural like, say, Sam Wilson's introduction in Winter Soldier.

Quite the contrary, I didn’t feel like Riri or America were shoehorned into these movies. Both of those characters served their respective purpose to help balance out the main hero.

Riri had some legit funny ass one liners in this movie too. My audience was cracking up.

Black Panther 2018 opened to $202 million so audience erosion wasn't much of a factor here. The sequel held very well, all things considered.

Now let's see if Wakanda can leg its way to that coveted $1 billion threshold:

Last edited:
I wouldn't say America felt shoehorned in, but Riri absolutely did. They're both glorified plot devices, though, America would just take more effort to replace given the nature of her role.

I didn't have any strong feelings towards America, but I thought Riri sucked. Character completely lost me when
she outright killed a bunch of innocent people, who from their perspective were trying to save her from being kidnapped. That's a great thing for you "hero" to do and be celebrated for.

I'm getting real irritated with characters constantly doing this crap. Happened in Black Widow too.

Last edited:
Black Panther 2018 opened to $202 million so audience erosion wasn't much of a factor here. The sequel held very well, all things considered.

Now let's see if Wakanda can leg its way to that coveted $1 billion threshold:

The overseas weekend sounds decent compared to BP’s overseas total (which included China, Russia & Ukraine).

Just came out of my IMAX viewing of Wakanda Forever and I’ll just say this.

Kudos to Disney, Coogler and Feige for taking what could have been an insurmountable tragedy and crafting a story that honored their deceased star, all the while forging ahead with a very good story. And most of all, kudos to them for trusting this story with a cast of talented, beautiful and unambiguously black actresses to take over the reins. Again, seldom do we EVER get those in a big budget Hollywood film.

I want more Namor, I want to see more Wakanda and I’m just interested to see where this part of the MCU goes.

That’s all.
Glad you liked it. Top 5 MCU movie for me. Letitia wright and Angela Bassett were phenomenal.

Again, BP2 opening numbers seem really underwhelming. Especially overseas. It better hit a billion.

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f6e326863653043766555746a57413d3d2d333230302e313630386666316230346366353235663631373433323131363938342e676966

Yeah Sue gonna fold. Reed dont stand a chance against Namor the Bae Mariner.

Between Chadwick, Michael B. Jordan, Winston Duke, Daniel Kaluuya, and now Tenoch, the Black Panther franchise has certainly employed some gorgeous men...

the-bachelor-ben-higgins.gif

Wakanda, Namor, Doom, FF need to fight it out for years to come!

Unfortunately for me i think this was the last MCU project that I was pretty hyped for. The stuff on the horizon I'm not particularly excited about. Daredevil Born Again is probably the only thing. GotG vol 3 maybe as well.

And yes, I'm including the Avengers movies. I'm sure once the overall story arc starts taking shape I'll become more and more hyped about them but for now they're just titles with no context.

Film is a different medium than comics. I highly doubt audiences will be as hyped as they were for Endgame, which was a culmination. I guess we'll see.

$180 mil domestic is a great opening weekend but I'm surprised that it didn't pass Doctor Strange 2's OW.

For me it’s Daredevil, Deadpool 3, F4, the next spider-man and the two avengers movies. Everything else I wouldn’t really consider appointment viewing. But as always, that could change.

I'm still hyped solely for The Marvels and Secret Invasion. Spidey 4, I'm sure I'll get there, but I'll really be excited for it if they announce Black Cat is in it.

But I'm just counting down the days and hours until we see them:
xmen-cartoon-intro-run.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole