Superman & Lois General News & Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS!)

He's a ****. The shoes not fun to watch, takes itself to serious and all the guys in the show are either treated as stupid or evil villians. Fact.

So...you don't know what a fact is. Sounds about right for someone who uses that term. (btw you didnt even use it right)

This show has helped me in my personal life. The depiction of Clark being understanding toward Lois during her recovery and illness has been a very important aspect of this show for me. My wife is a former athlete but now has a chronic illness that impacts most aspects of her life. Seeing Clark trying to meet Lois’ physical and emotional needs has been incredibly encouraging to me and on more than one occasion the show has served to remind me to try to live selflessly in our situation. If living in a way that I look beyond myself and try to be understanding of my wife’s pain makes me a ****** then I can only hope to be guilty as charged. It would mean that I’m finally doing something right.

It’s interesting that people complain that Superman is overpowered and uninteresting. But here the writers have made the brilliant call of placing him in a situation that is beyond his control. He cannot remove his wife’s cancer. That’s a fascinating premise. But people complain about that too. I suppose if you just want a punch-em-up show without depth, that’s fine. But that would get old really fast.

Thank you for sharing the first paragraph. That is such a great way to put it. And your second paragraph is spot on!

One thing i learned long ago is that there are quite a lot of Superman fans out there who literally only like the Power Fantasy of the character and not when the character is anything else.

Not that this is exclusive to it...there are many who just like Batman for beating up people, who want him to literally be DCs punisher.

But it is still always very weird seeing people actually despise nuance of such characters.
Those are the same fans who lost it when Kara barely beat her cousin at the end of season 2 on Supergirl. They were further outraged that Clark said he was at full strength just hallucinating under the influence of silver Kryptonite. Then those fans hated that Clark empathized with how difficult it was for Kara to make the decision she did. They thought the show was implying Clark wouldn’t or couldn’t do the same. What I got from it was a man who was admitting how hard it would be if faced with a similar choice and being thankful he didn’t have to. There’s a faction of Superman fans who lose it when he shows “too much” emotion or Rao forbid isn’t the best, strongest, fastest hero on a team.

Last edited:
Those are the same fans who lost it when Kara barely beat her cousin at the end of season 2 on Supergirl. They were further outraged that Clark said he was at full strength just hallucinating under the influence of silver Kryptonite. Then those fans hated that Clark empathized with how difficult it was for Kara to make the decision she did. They thought the show was implying Clark wouldn’t or couldn’t do the same. What I got from it was a man who was admitting how hard it would be if faced with a similar choice and being thankful he didn’t have to. There’s a faction of Superman fans who lose it when he shows “too much” emotion or Rao forbid isn’t the best, strongest, fastest hero on a team.

9u21ne5t7ol71.png

Doesn't Clark know he needs to protect his masculinity so his male fans don't themselves feel inadequate when it comes to their female family members? If he doesn't, what will happen to the caveman aesthetic? :crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

****, I cried. That ain't manly. How about, :argh: :argh: :argh:

Yeah, that's the stuff.

giphy.gif

For the record, I've never had any issues with Clark/Superman putting others above himself or Kara/Supergirl being treated as his equal.

My issues with "Supergirl" were how they went about doing that on the show. I felt like some of those dialogue was unnecessary. They could have easily achieved the same message with the old fashion "show, not tell" approach. Plus, I'm not a big fan of putting down one character just to prop up another one under any circumstances.

For the record, I've never had any issues with Clark/Superman putting others above himself or Kara/Supergirl being treated as his equal.

My issues with "Supergirl" were how they went about doing that on the show. I felt like some of those dialogue was unnecessary. They could have easily achieved the same message with the old fashion "show, not tell" approach. Plus, I'm not a big fan of putting down one character just to prop up another one under any circumstances.
Plus... right. That image literally has the sentence, "I'm very proud to just be working beside you" as some sort of offensive statement. :dry:

What should be shown, not said here? Clark is talking to or about his beloved cousin in bantery and supportive ways. One of the reasons Clark is so inspiring is he'll look someone in the eye, and tell them they're amazing. And he means it, Because he' s a selfless person, who genuinely thinks the best of others and does not see himself as special.

Also, in what world is Clark being "put down"? If I tell my brother he's worlds kinder then me, or my best friend that she writes better then I could dream, am I "putting myself down" or am I expressing love and encouragement? Honestly, that's just a terrible outlook at anything.

Plus... right. That image literally has the sentence, "I'm very proud to just be working beside you" as some sort of offensive statement. :dry:

What should be shown, not said here? Clark is talking to or about his beloved cousin in bantery and supportive ways. One of the reasons Clark is so inspiring is he'll look someone in the eye, and tell them they're amazing. And he means it, Because he' s a selfless person, who genuinely thinks the best of others and does not see himself as special.

Also, in what world is Clark being "put down"? If I tell my brother he's worlds kinder then me, or my best friend that she writes better then I could dream, am I "putting myself down" or am I expressing love and encouragement? Honestly, that's just a terrible outlook at anything.
I’ve been saying this for 7 years. It’s futile lol.

I wasn't referring to that specific dialogue. Also, I don't have any issues with some of the dialogue shown in the photo. The only reason why I posted it was because that seems to be tossed around whenever some fans complain about the issues that others have already mentioned on this thread.

Honestly, there's no real need to have Clark say "You're so much stronger than me Kara" several times throughout their appearance. We already saw Supergirl beat Superman in the show's Season 2 finale. If the intent was to show that Clark/Superman is a humble guy and wanted to give his cousin a boost of confidence, then I don't think they went about it the right way.

It has nothing to do with trying to protect some misplaced/fragile masculinity for the character. If you don't think that way, then that's fine. Difference in opinion regarding that matter. Overall, I'm just trying to say that everyone interpreted those scenes in a different way.

I wasn't referring to that specific dialogue. Also, I don't have any issues with some of the dialogue shown in the photo. The only reason why I posted it was because that seems to be tossed around whenever some fans complain about the issues that others have already mentioned on this thread.

Honestly, there's no real need to have Clark say "You're so much stronger than me Kara" several times throughout their appearance. We already saw Supergirl beat Superman in the show's Season 2 finale. If the intent was to show that Clark/Superman is a humble guy and wanted to give his cousin a boost of confidence, then I don't think they went about it the right way.

It has nothing to do with trying to protect some misplaced/fragile masculinity for the character. If you don't think that way, then that's fine. Difference in opinion regarding that matter. Overall, I'm just trying to say that everyone interpreted those scenes in a different way.
Not everyone. How many women do you think had an issue with any of them?

Also, could it just be that Kara is... stronger then Clark? But because of how both came to Earth, she has a bit of an inferiority complex and thus Clark likes to throw in the positive reinforcement? On a feminist show, where they clearly did have a message that, no matter one's gender, they can be every bit the hero as Superman.

Not everyone. How many women do you think had an issue with any of them?

Also, could it just be that Kara is... stronger then Clark? But because of how both came to Earth, she has a bit of an inferiority complex and thus Clark likes to throw in the positive reinforcement? On a feminist show, where they clearly did have a message that, no matter one's gender, they can be every bit the hero as Superman.

Again, I don't have any personal issues with Kara being stronger than Clark. Also, is it so wrong for someone to have a different opinion about this matter?

Except there was. The only people who felt otherwise are the ones annoyed that Clark could dare possibly not be as strong as his cousin. The moment wasn't to push him down to lift her up, the moment was there to show that if she doesn't hold herself back she has a strength even he doesn't have. Which btw is not inconsistent with the comics depending on what you are reading.

Just cause she is stronger though doesn't mean she would always win in a fight, or that she is better. It just means she has potential he doesn't. There is nothing wrong with that and I say that as one of the biggest Superman fanboys around.

FWIW Supes has something she never quite has though...humanity. Clark Kent is the difference between Kal and Kara. Clark grew up here, she didn't. (depending)

Again, I don't have any personal issues with Kara being stronger than Clark.
That is not what I get from your posts on this subject at all and I know I'm not the only one. It's your continued use of language about how Clark was in someway "put down" and posting hilarious images like above.

Also, is it so wrong for someone to have a different opinion about this matter?
Who said you can't have a different opinion? Have it. This is a discussion board, where those opinions are what lead to discussion and argument. Someone can come here and say TDK is trash and The Flash is pure cinema. But they shouldn't be surprised when someone asking why or argues that idea.

Except there was. The only people who felt otherwise are the ones annoyed that Clark could dare possibly not be as strong as his cousin. The moment wasn't to push him down to lift her up, the moment was there to show that if she doesn't hold herself back she has a strength even he doesn't have. Which btw is not inconsistent with the comics depending on what you are reading.

Just cause she is stronger though doesn't mean she would always win in a fight, or that she is better. It just means she has potential he doesn't. There is nothing wrong with that and I say that as one of the biggest Superman fanboys around.

FWIW Supes has something she never quite has though...humanity. Clark Kent is the difference between Kal and Kara. Clark grew up here, she didn't. (depending)

That is not what I get from your posts on this subject at all and I know I'm not the only one. It's your continued use of language about how Clark was in someway "put down" and posting hilarious images like above.

Who said you can't have a different opinion? Have it. This is a discussion board, where those opinions are what lead to discussion and argument. Someone can come here and say TDK is trash and The Flash is pure cinema. But they shouldn't be surprised when someone asking why or argues that idea.

I'll be the first to admit that I didn't handle it very well after seeing Supergirl's Season 2 Finale for the first time. It was only through taking some time to process it and having level minded discussions with posters such as @flickchick85 that I came understand things better.

Just because someone isn't a fan of how Superman was used in Supergirl's show, doesn't automatically mean that they're some intolerant bigot with misguided views. I shouldn't have to defend my integrity to you or anyone else on this forum.

Last edited:
I'll be the first to admit that I didn't handle it very well after seeing the Supergirl's Season 2 Finale for the first time. It was only through taking some time to process it and having level minded discussions with posters such as @flickchick85 that I came understand things better.
Which is why you're still complaining about it six years later. :o

Just become someone isn't a fan of how Superman was used in Supergirl's show, doesn't automatically mean that they're some intolerant bigot with misguided views. I shouldn't have to defend my integrity to you or anyone else on this forum.
This is very disingenuous. If you don't want to have a discussion about something, don't do it. But claiming you're being called something you're clearly not being called, is BS.

While you say your issue isn't the idea that Kara could be "better" or "stronger" then Clark, your actual complaints don't really back that up. If they remove two of those instances, it would've been fine? That's not what I get from someone who admitted they've been hot about this since it happened.

Even if Kara was stronger than Clark on her show, this is a different reality anyway. Kara doesn't even seem to exist on this earth, and if she did, who is to say that she would actually be stronger than Clark? This earth's version of Lex and of Morgan Edge aren't even the same characters and don't even look like the versions on Supergirl.

One of the reasons Clark is so inspiring is he'll look someone in the eye, and tell them they're amazing. And he means it, Because he' s a selfless person, who genuinely thinks the best of others and does not see himself as special.
This statement made me reminisce about one of my favorite comics moments in recent years:

upload_2023-6-26_11-53-40.jpeg

upload_2023-6-26_11-54-24.png

I can’t help but feel like this show is the first iteration of the character on film that scratches the surface of who Superman is.

I hope that Gunn can go even deeper.

This statement made me reminisce about one of my favorite comics moments in recent years:

View attachment 66076

View attachment 66077

I can’t help but feel like this show is the first iteration of the character on film that scratches the surface of who Superman is.

I hope that Gunn can go even deeper.

Adding this to my must-read list. Thank you, my good man of culture. :toth

The highest rated episodes of the 3rd season were the season premiere and finale. Anything in-between was 500-600K range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"