The Amazing Spider-Man Tell me how you think they should do the Lizard

TheSlag

Avenger
Reaction score
OK. Let's assume for giggles that the Lizard is the villain in the first movie of the Reboot. How should they do his story?

Like...

1) Should he talk? If so.. how much?
2) Should he have intelligence? or be purely primal?
3) How quickly should he transform into the Lizard? First act? Second act?
4) Should they establish the Connors family first and show the love of the father for the son? should they establish the Connors as Peter's adopted family?
5) Should the Lizard kill? implied? graphic? or a combination of both?
6) Should the Lizard have an evil master plan? Probably according to how you answer 2 above may answer this one? Or should his storyline be simply a mysterious creature is wandering the dock fronts.. killing homeless?
7) Should the Lizard go after his family? Should he go after them to try to convert them or just because something primal (left over from Dr. Connors is telling his reptile mind that they are important).. but he/it does not understand why?
8) Should the Lizard die in the end? If not, should they attempt to reconcile that Dr. Connors is a murderer from his alter-ego?
9) Should they play the angle that the Lizard is a hoax at first? And let Spidey play it that way at first, only to realize that this is NOOOO hoax/publicity stunt?
10) Should other key characters be involved in Dr. Connors/Lizard story? i.e. Brock investigating? Capt Stacy.. putting the pieces together and figuring out who the Lizard really is?

Feel free to add your own questons, or wants.

Haha a LOT of questions, here are my thoughts:

1) Not really. But if he will, maybe just trying to say "Billy...", that would be about it.

2) Almost purely primal imo! He should not attack his family though, if he comes across them, especially on Billy, he should hesistate. I want him to have at least 1 very tiny bit of humanity inside him.

3) Something like first time, his skin turns reptile-like or so, then after a couple of mins, he completely turns, but it's not really important actually.

4) No, I think they could develop them during the movie and so on.

5) Yes, The Lizard should kill, I want to see a fearsome creature! Raimi is not making this movie (thank God), so I don't want another kid's movie.

6) Since I mentioned I want him as a primal creature, I don't think he should have a plan, I mean turning everyone into Lizards (LOL!) doesn't work in the movies as it would work in comics & cartoons. It is way too corny!

7) Should the Lizard go after his family? Should he go after them to try to convert them or just because something primal (left over from Dr. Connors is telling his reptile mind that they are important).. but he/it does not understand why?

8) The Lizard should NOT die! He is one of the villains that has to be sympatethic, but also that has to live! I think the Connors Family deserves a happy ending! Plus, I want to see Doc Connors and Peter's relationship developing or something, I want them to become friends in the following movies or so. Or at least some interraction between them!

9) Yes, hell, I don't even think that JJJ should be aware of the fact that The Lizard exists! It should be just Spidey who finds out for himself and certain citizens who came across with Lizzy! JJJ must think it's hoax, but he keeps being interested in the Lizard and asks Peter for photos.

10) Let's keep Brock out of this. Venom won't be in these movies (if he will) until 3rd or most likely 4th, so no need for Brock now! He doesn't need 2 movies for being developed, certainly not 3 imo! He can wait. As for Captain Stacy, I think he should be in it, especially if he will have a more important role, like he did in the comics, especially regarding Peter/Spider-Man. If not, don't even bother bringing him. His presence in SM3 was useless, just like Gwen's.

Interesting topic, I am curious to see how The Lizard will be portrayed on the big screen in the end...

1-No talking, as in sentences. Maybe a few words but that's it.

2- Both. The Liazrd is an animal and should be primal but I think the creature should be intelligent. Not on a genius level where he builds contraptions but clever as a creature.

3-Hopefully not early on, I hope while Spidey is becoming more famous in NY Cnnors should be discovering he's changing. Similar to the Fly but with a nice contrast with Spidey's powers compared to Connor's. Halfway or end of second Act IMO.

4-Establish the family first and develop all way through, though much more later on. Makes the situation worse when he does become Lizard because we know he has a family etc

5- I want The Lizard to kill and I think it will but will it be graphic or scary or just implied? What's the age rating for this film? Hopefully fingers crossed they will push boundaries.

6- No plan, but a giant rampaging lizard human monster is a big enough threat as it is to Spiderman and the city without a plan anyway. Spidey just trying to stop Connor's is good enough for me.

7- Go after the family, though maybe not directly. Hestitation could be nice if the monster saw Billy. Spidey could also try to talk to Lizard later on about his family.

8- No death personally. I rather another villain to die than Lizard. I feel the best way is to have Connors back with his family and burn all his work, helping spiderman in the future and reconciling in the end. This would give a better story and struggle with Connors and Spiderman as well..and I prefer this option :p!

9- People think it's a hoax maybe but not Spiderman IMO.

10- JJJ asking for photos maybe :p I don't mind who becomes involved but not so many people please. This movie won't have time to explain all the things that are in if more things are added. Save some characters for the next movie and the main cast for the first.

I have mentioned in other threads how I would want the Lizard:

1) A very slow transformation at first. I don't want an arm sprouting in 30 seconds...that is cheesy. Connors starts to see his arm grow back in the span of a few weeks. He needs to keep it covered up though, maybe a couple of glances. I also really don't want to see a tiny arm coming out of a large man. We then see that he has an arm.

2) Connors starts to notice scales on his body and he is developing a temper. He can be very angry.

3) Connors eyes start to change and so does his hands and feet. He wears sunglasses around.

4) Connors goes missing and Peter goes to Connor's lab at night and we get our first glimpse at an early Lizard. Connors isn't full Lizard yet and they don't fight. Connors explains his predicament and then becomes angry and leaves.

5) Connors is now the Lizard, full blown 6-7 foot tall gnarly teeth, tail, etc. Lizard but still can talk and recognize people. This will be when Spidey and Peter first fight.

6) Connors is now only the Lizard and his mind is gone. He goes to his house and his wife is startled and he kidnaps his son and takes him to the sewers. This is where there is another fight between Spidey and Lizard. This is where I would like Peter to cure Connors. Maybe even knock him out and Peter takes him back to the lab where his son and wife can see him slowly transform back.

That then begs the question if there is going to be a secondary villain or not. If they go the slow transformation route then Connors isn't going to be Lizard until halfway through the film. This isn't like Ock and Norman where the accident happens and then they are instantly Green Goblin and Doc Ock. If they go the instant route and he regrows his arm overnight and then quickly becomes the Lizard soon after then it will be in the same vein as SM1 and SM2. Personally, I would like a secondary villain to fill in the gaps early on. Kraven of course would be perfect. He would add so much more depth and another dimension to Lizard's and Spidey's story and also make fights way more interesting.

I'll probably get thrashed for this but I think the Lizard is the wrong choice. As fans, yes, we all know the Lizard is one of THE classic Spider-Man villians. He is well known amongst us but not so much amongst the common casual fan. I think they should either try doing the Goblin again, and doing it right...or do the Venom saga right. Plant the seed in the first movie. Dedicate the entire 2nd movie to him in the black suit...the right and correct suit. Have him discard it at the end of the 2nd movie. Have Venom be the primary villian in the 3rd movie. There is too much history with Venom to condense him into one movie like they did in the last one (and he was only in the 3rd act and probably had less than 15 minutes of total screen time).

Thoughts?

The SSM show got it right. Under no circumstances should the lizard even attempt to engage in chit-chat Lizard shouldn't be talking at all! AND he shouldn't have some master plan. He should simply be a raging beast, striking fear into the hearts of the people of the city and tearing everything up. The story should be kept to a level of simplicity and significance. A brilliant scientist trying to better himself turns himself into a monster. It's so easy and simple a concept that the chance to create engaging and spectacular stories around such a cliche concept is wonderfullt limitless.

They should be aware of Lizard resembling the Hulk, though.

They should be aware of Lizard resembling the Hulk, though.

The lizard is very identifiable from the hulk. For starters he's a freakin' lizard. :oldrazz:

Secondly the circumstances of Connor's relationship with the people around him, noticeably his wife and son makes him a different kettle of fish altogether and whereas the hulk doesn't really go out of his way to directly kill people the lizard does and should.

But Doc Connors would look so awesome in purple pants.

they should at least do a purple pants reference, like they did in TIH.... lol
(like maybe they should show a pair of purple pants hanging up in his closet or something)

I have your answer right here The Slag.
313-2.jpg

I'll just repost my idea on how I'd like the Lizard's transformation.

As Vis mentioned a lil bit back, I would like to see a progressive transformation ala The Fly.
And each time we see the Lizard appear, he should look different to show that hes gradually transforming.

There would be three definite forms tho

First Form: A mix between Ditko and Ramos. This form should be very humanoid to show hes struggling to contain the Lizard persona (which wont talk BTW :hyper:)
Lizard.jpg

lizard2.gif

Second Form: All Lizard now, majority of the movie would use this form, with slight changes as the movies goes on.
Lizard3.jpg

lizard5.jpg

Third Form: Basically the form for the Final Battle. He should be towering Spidey, basically Uber Lizard but nowhere near as big as Lizard's final form in the SM3 game). A mix of the two below

Lizard4.jpg

lizard6.jpg

Why is he purple?

Can anyone recommend some Lizard stories? I'd like to get into the character.

I still can't picture this villain as a villain that can carry a movie on it's own.

I would have liked to see the whole Venom/Carnage saga

1. Talking
2. Intelligence
3. Transformation

These 3 go hand in hand for me.

I think a slow transformation, like most have mentioned along the lines of The Fly, is the best approach. Which if our favorite Spidey costume wearing, basement dwelling, YouTube Maker's... Super Secret disclosure of the script is correct... is the opposite of what we will get.

According to his script (leak), Connors injects himself and instantly transforms. This makes no sense to me.

I prefer a longer, in stages, transformation. I am torn on whether Dr. Connors should actually succeed in growing his missing arm or not. I am almost leaning towards the start of the regenative process to grow back the arm... giving him thoughts that he has done it... without actually doing it (fully growing it back).. when things start to go darkly/disturbingly wrong.

I want to see... and feel.. the Madness... as the primal starts to make a toehold that quickly grows.

I want to see the terror in Dr. Connors as he starts to realize just what he has done.

But, a slow transformation comes with some costs. 1) It will probably require a second villain to fill Act 1 and 2? 2) a slow trasnformation will make it hard to keep it a secret from his family and those close to him... it would seem? Does Dr. Connors go missing during the long transformation.. and if so, what value does it add IF there is no one else, other than Connors to share the horror and realization that he is... "changing".

I think it works much better to "share" that realization.

Talking/Intelligence. They both go hand in hand with the transformation. For me, a slow transformation that we see Dr. Connors battling with the effects.. slowly loosing the ability to talk/communicate, and slowly losing rational thought to the Beast within.. could be utter greatness, if done right.

I would love to see a Dr. Connors the human, now trapped within an almost complete Lizard.. struggle to communicate with those he still loves.. with what little humanity.. that remains. Perhaps cryptically scribbling out some message on a chalkboard because he can no longer talk... to his wife.. his son... his family.

i'd dig this, but it has too much of a horror feel than I think Sony will want to have in Spider-Man. I'm surprised we got the Doc Ock hospital scene, but as much as i agree with 99% of your ideas, i just don't see it happening.

OK. Let's assume for giggles that the Lizard is the villain in the first movie of the Reboot. How should they do his story?

Like...

1) Should he talk? If so.. how much?

Depends on what he is saying. If it is scary but primal things, then I would approve. But, if he is talking about his mutant army conquering mankind, no.

2) Should he have intelligence? or be purely primal?

He definitely should be intelligent. That doesn't mean he has to talk or anything. He can be mostly primal, yet know how to get into locked rooms through air vents and such. Maybe even know how to use a door handle or keys. Be primal yet crafty. Makes him scarier.

3) How quickly should he transform into the Lizard? First act? Second act?

Beginning of Act 2. We need to reconnect with Connors as a character and be introduced to the new Spidey world. Can't happen sooner than Act 2.

4) Should they establish the Connors family first and show the love of the father for the son? should they establish the Connors as Peter's adopted family?

Establish he is close to Peter and maybe have the family in it for a scene or two prior to transforming. Again, we need to connect with Connors in order to care about the Lizard.

5) Should the Lizard kill? implied? graphic? or a combination of both?

Implied death. I personally feel gore is less scary than Hitchcockian style cutting away. He definitely should kill, but I think implied is best.

6) Should the Lizard have an evil master plan? Probably according to how you answer 2 above may answer this one? Or should his storyline be simply a mysterious creature is wandering the dock fronts.. killing homeless?

I think he needs to be more creature than mastermind. If he is going to have a plan, it should be something animalistic. Not turning people into reptiles. Animals change their environment around, so having him attempt to do something animal like is okay for a plan and could develop Peter's science aspect, but world into reptiles is stupid.

Yes. It creates good drama for the Lizard having his face his loving family as a monster.

8) Should the Lizard die in the end? If not, should they attempt to reconcile that Dr. Connors is a murderer from his alter-ego?

Connors dying would suck. I think he should live, and not be arrested but carry guilt forever for what he did as the Lizard. No one blames him for it, but he does. More interesting that way. Being in prison closes the character's arc essentially cause he'd be away. But, if he carried guilt, he has places to go in the future.

9) Should they play the angle that the Lizard is a hoax at first? And let Spidey play it that way at first, only to realize that this is NOOOO hoax/publicity stunt?

Yes. He should be like a giant alligator in the sewer and at some point have a major reveal.

10) Should other key characters be involved in Dr. Connors/Lizard story? i.e. Brock investigating? Capt Stacy.. putting the pieces together and figuring out who the Lizard really is?

Feel free to add your own questons, or wants.

We have Gwen, so adding Capt. Stacy to the story makes sense. Maybe Norman also since we have Harry in the film. Establish Norman for future films. I think Brock is too much. I assume after this film, we'll prob get either Ock or GG again. And, GG is a likely option for film 3. So, where does Venom fit into here? He doesn't, so why bother putting him in the movie. Last thing they need to do in an introductory film is complicate it. Add Brock in another movie.

Depends on what he is saying. If it is scary but primal things, then I would approve. But, if he is talking about his mutant army conquering mankind, no.
Well, I highly doubt we would ever see Lizard's mutant army in a film. It worked in the comics, but it would just come off as odd, and not really fit the character inside a film, IMO.

1. Maybe a little bit, though nothing demony and generic of humanoid monsters
2) He should have enough to identify characters etc. though primativeness is what contrasts him from the middle class scientist Connors is
3) I think he should fix his arm in the 1st act, but transform in the 2nd. Something like American Werewolf, practical effects and all, I want to be able to FEEL his primal side tearing through his average-built body
4) Yeah, that'll be good, make him a tragic character with awesome/frightening scenes
5) Kill in an agressive way - not nescessarily violent and gory, but something that is scary and hardcore
6) I don't know too much about the lizard to answer that properly, but I think maybe he should become a random killer who develops some sort of direction of his killings?
7) I like the primal way...maybe he *thinks* he must go to convert them?
8) I don't want him to die, but Hollywood kinda sucks that way...maybe the lizard can die but connors survive, then he has to face the immoral choices his primal instincts made? Could make for a good moral story for the younger viewers while still being mature for us?
9) I'm really not sure on this one haha
10) I don't know how it exactly happened in the comics, but I'd like to see some other well known scientists, Toomes or whoever Will o' the wisp was before his transformation, wanting to examine the creature

From an artistic and completely voyueristic point of view, I can't wait to see the mesh of green and blue/red on the screen :D

If you make him PRIMAL the way you guys are saying, than it's gonna be really stupid villain, i mean how would he be an interesting villain what so ever if he just makes noises and hisss and jump around etc. Than Spider Man is fighting just a creature.

The only way to make this villain interesting for a movie, is to have him talk and be inteligent, if hes just primal than the whole movie is spider man fighting some giant lizard. THIS IS A FEATURE MOTION PICTURE NOW A EPISODE OF A CARTOON. You can't have 120 minutes or so and 50 of them involved Spider Man chasing around a giant lizard that just makes noises.

This is already a hard enough villain to make believable and work on screen as a main villain, and you guys want him to act like an animal and not talk and just run around leaping around destroying stuff and spider-man has to stop him?Thats ****ing stupid as ****.

If there gonna use Lizard, make him talk like he did as Connors but obviously he sounds a bit different being talking with a hiss.

Ock and Spidey hardly ever talked their entire fight on the train. They exchanged words on the clock tower and then Ock told him he had a train to catch at the end of the fight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"