The Amazing Spider-Man The Lizard - How does he compare with Spidey's other onscreen adversaries?

Going by appearances, how is Lizard 1 and Sandman 4 when Sandman looks EXACTLY like the comics?

Going by appearances, how is Lizard 1 and Sandman 4 when Sandman looks EXACTLY like the comics?

I liked the look of Sandman a lot in SM3, but I'm rating how much I like the overall look of the villains from the films and since it has to be placed in order, the points are 1 and 4. If the rating system were letter grades or 1-10, then they'd be much closer, probably almost the same grade tbh.

Not as good as Dr Ock but not as bad as Venom, somewhere in the middle. Bad cgi did not help.

Not as good as Dr Ock but not as bad as Venom, somewhere in the middle. Bad cgi did not help.

I disagree the CGI was good. I think it's just that a giant Lizard is not believable.
I thought his scales were very real looking.
How I would rank the villains
Good/Great
Doc Ock
The OK
Green Goblin and Lizard
Mediocre
New Goblin
Bad
Sandman and Venom

New Goblin and Venom are the best Spidey foes on film
Lizard is the New World Order kind of villains, these are the scariest

If you're talking about the sandman then you must have been on something because the CGi on him was as good as you could get and looked really good

If you're talking about the sandman then you must have been on something because the CGi on him was as good as you could get and looked really good

I agree Sandman was pretty good in terms of CGI.

The time difference between BF and the one before is 2 months
I doubt his was a reply to the post about Sandman, and believe it's on Lizard

I thought Lizard had good CGI. You can only make a giant man-Lizard look so good on the big screen.

I LOVED the Lizard. Best and most formidable villain of 2012s CBMS imo.

People have critisezed the design for not being dinoasaur like.

It's a Lizard-man, he's got to go back and forth between the two species, going full reptile would be more unbelievable than becoming a mix of the two. He doesn't go too far dino-like that way they can show emotion and intelligence in his face, he wore the coat for some fanservice and his plan was straight out of the comics. It progressed from wanting to cure others to evolving them to be better lifeforms, only problem was he didn't ask if they wanted to be evolved.

Overall i'd go...

Doc Ock
Green Goblin
Lizard
Sandman
New Goblin
Venom

Though i think The Lizard was the deadliest foe Spidey has faced on film.

i liked the lizards look, he was indeed Suppost to be a lizard man and not just a giant lizard

I thought the look and the CGI was great. On technical terms I have no problems with him. However I really don't think he's as good as the Rami villains. I loved how Rami would find some way to have the villains have an impact on Peter's life and his life as Spider Man. I really wanted an emotional connection to Dr. Conner's and I wanted Peter to also have that connection to him. I never felt that. There needed to be more scenes of Peter bounding with Connors I mean Connors was close friend of Peter's dad why didn't we get scenes where the two talk about Peter's dad? Why was one of the best aspects of Connor's character, his son, cut from the film? I love the Lizard but I though he was a very weak villain in TASM.

I wish the Lizard was scrawny,wore tattered dirty clothes,no taller than six foot.They could of done this with practical effects.Makeup and animatronics.

Ranking the villains from best to worst and by that I mean, developed to least developed, villains that are compelling and that you can kind of comprehend:

Dafoe's Green Goblin
Lizard
Doc Ock
New Goblin
Sandman
Venom
Electro
Dehaan's Goblin (he nailed the laugh but was a bit of a let down)
Rhino

IMO, there hasn't been a scarier/more threatening villain than Dafoe's Green Goblin, capable of both destroying Spider-Man and the city. The Lizard would have been a lot better, maybe even better than GG, if they'd included the Connors' family and made him a bit more sympathetic as a result and shown a stronger bond between Peter and Connors. Doc Ock was fine but he never comes as compelling to me; he and the Lizard are quite similar in the way that they're both carrying out their work and trying to change the world for what they believe is the better. James Franco was great as Harry and did fine as the New Goblin, even if he didn't have a great deal to do, his story arc over the trilogy was done very well.

In terms on how close they look to the comics

1. Sandman
2. Electro (Ultimate Comics) Otherwise Venom
3. Doc Ock
4. Lizard
5. Green Goblin
6. New Goblin
7. Dehann Goblin
8. Electro (616)
9. Rhino

How I liked them:

1. Doc Ock
2. Green Goblin
3. Sandman
4. Franco Goblin
5. Lizard
6. Venom
7. Electro
8. Dehaan Goblin
9. Rhino

The Lizard is definitely behind Dafoe's Goblin and Molina's Ock. I was creeped the hell out by Dafoe's Goblin as a kid. This may not be from Spidey, but just look at Dafoe in this gif:

EnSCYXl.gif

His expressions had me terrified when I was little.

Molina's Ock is hands down the best Spidey villain and only second to Joker in CBM history, in my opinion. Altogether, in terms of my liking of Spidey's villains, I'd say:

1.) Doc Ock
2.) Dafoe Goblin
3.) Franco Goblin
4.) Lizard
5.) Sandman
6.) DeHaan Goblin (only ahead of Venom because he had more screen time)
7.) Venom (would have been perfect if written better)
8.) Electro (still no explanation provided for H20 + cables + eels = Electro...Eelectro would have made more sense for that origin)
9.) Rhino

Last edited:
I agree Sandman was pretty good in terms of CGI.

A few more scenes with him robbing banks etc could have been added though. If we ever did get an Spiderman 3.3 would more scenes for Sandman exist?.

Not much speaking parts for Thomas Haden Church in the script.

:woot:

I'd put him at #4, giving him a slight edge over Sandman.

Lizard is fourth from the bottom. Electro, Rhino, Dane DeHaan Goblin, are ranked just under him in that order.

Behind the good ones. Above the bad ones. It is the sole forgettable one.

Doc Ock - 10/10
Green Goblin (SM1) - 9/10
Sandman - 7/10
Lizard - 6/10
Venom - 5/10
Green Goblin (SM3) - 5/10
Rhino - 4/10
Green Goblin (ASM2) - 2/10
Electro - 2/10

The only think I didn't care for was the look. They should have gone with a more viscous look with sharp teeth.

Doc Ock was great and Molina was very effective in the role, but Ifans' Lizard added something unique to the Spidey-film franchise.

Firstly, Lizard himself is a very unique Spidey-villain, since unlike other mutant nemeses such as the symbiotes and the goblins, the Lizard specifically symbolizes 'coordination movement.' He's a lizard after all and can skulk and slither around, so portraying him requires sensitivity to body creepiness, and Ifans does a good job in TASM.

Secondly, Doc Ock is obviously about agility, grabbing, and flexibility, so while Molina is capable and effective, he's not as 'strange' or 'bizarre' as the Lizard, so potentially, we can derive greater screen fun from the Lizard (Doc Ock is simply more professional and rigid).

In the end, I think it's a tie. Molina and Ifans are both great, even though TASM is a more focused film.

I like using the Lizard (Marvel Comics) to think about 'body kinesthetics.'

:sly:

Lizard (Marvel.com)

Lizard_bio.jpg

The Lizard is my fourth favorite Spider-Man villain, so after seeing TASM, I was ecstatic and loved what they did until I rewatched it a few times.

Lizard was a really weak villain and the lack of his family is so mind-boggling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"