The General Comic Discussion Thread - Part 2

Speaking of Adam West, I found the TPB for Batman '66 Meets Wonder Woman '77 at my local dollar store for 2.50 Canadabucks. And it's in brand new condition.

Such a great deal considering it's about $22 on Amazon. :D

Speaking of Adam West, I found the TPB for Batman '66 Meets Wonder Woman '77 at my local dollar store for 2.50 Canadabucks. And it's in brand new condition.

Nice! :yay:

That’s so much fun. Great find

Happy Belated birthday.
You definitly raised them well, First Print of son of the demon...wow.

I’m ready for Fear State to be done.

I never want to see Peacekeeper-01 or Simon Saint or the Magistrate ever again. This is the closest I’ve been to dropping Batman. I like Tynion and I thought his Detective run was brilliant, but this Batman run has consisted of him being a bargain basement Scott Snyder. And I don’t particularly like Scott Snyder.

On another note, the Icon and Rocket revival continues to knock it out of the park. It’s a great updating of the characters while respecting the original. And I had to smile at the Watchmen cameo in the latest issue.

I’m ready for Fear State to be done.

I never want to see Peacekeeper-01 or Simon Saint or the Magistrate ever again. This is the closest I’ve been to dropping Batman. I like Tynion and I thought his Detective run was brilliant, but this Batman run has consisted of him being a bargain basement Scott Snyder. And I don’t particularly like Scott Snyder.

I wonder if him leaving is the reason why the recent issues have been less strong.
This weeks issue specificly is incredible weak imo.
Wondering if he planned this to go for longer or so and now had to cut a lot of it down.
Because the last two issues felt really like he put the story on fast forward.

It would suck if Tynions finale arc ends up being just hot air.
I loved the idea of Fear State and until 3-4 issues was a big fan of it.

I wonder if him leaving is the reason why the recent issues have been less strong.
This weeks issue specificly is incredible weak imo.
Wondering if he planned this to go for longer or so and now had to cut a lot of it down.
Because the last two issues felt really like he put the story on fast forward.

It would suck if Tynions finale arc ends up being just hot air.
I loved the idea of Fear State and until 3-4 issues was a big fan of it.
I like the idea of Fear State. It’s just the shoehorning of the aspects of Future State that I’m not a fan of. If it were a pure Scarecrow story, I’d be all in.

On another note, the Icon and Rocket revival continues to knock it out of the park. It’s a great updating of the characters while respecting the original. And I had to smile at the Watchmen cameo in the latest issue.
Still my favorite out of the Milestone Returns and Static #4 was great as well.

This weekend I sat down and finished Gotham Central. My view on it is the same as it was halfway through and I can not recommend this enough.
Good plot, interesting characters, Nice art, and with the occasional freaks and Batman appearances.
I Really hope the upcoming tv show is similar to this.

upload_2021-11-10_8-45-35.jpeg

This is really wonderful. I can’t wait for the next 2. It’s all very familiar and no new ground is tread, but the writing of Jeff Lemire coupled with the gorgeous watercolors and designs of Dustin Nguyen place this up there in the running with Dark Victory and Robin Year One as the definitive Robin origin story. I’m definitely excited to see where it goes from here.

And for the record, Dustin Nguyen is essentially the new Alex Ross inasmuch as his art elevates everything he does to a “must collect” level. Outside of Little Gotham, he doesn’t do much in terms of whole issues these days. But when he does, it is special.

I'm glad you brought it up cuz I was gonna ask if anyone had read it yet.
Guess I'll pick this one up.

I'm glad you brought it up cuz I was gonna ask if anyone had read it yet.
Guess I'll pick this one up.
It’s definitely not new ground. But if you are ok with seeing the Robin origin story again, and you love Lemire’s writing and Nguyen’s watercolors as much as I do, it’s definitely worth it.

I will say that when it comes to how I would want this story done cinematically, I think Lemire’s take in this would be the perfect approach. He plays up a conflicted Bats who recognizes the insanity and dangerousness of what he is doing. He is both reckless and overly cautious. He is, as Alfred points out, trying to simultaneously training a soldier and protecting a child. I think the conflicted Bruce approach would be great for introducing a film Robin.

It’s definitely not new ground. But if you are ok with seeing the Robin origin story again, and you love Lemire’s writing and Nguyen’s watercolors as much as I do, it’s definitely worth it.

I will say that when it comes to how I would want this story done cinematically, I think Lemire’s take in this would be the perfect approach. He plays up a conflicted Bats who recognizes the insanity and dangerousness of what he is doing. He is both reckless and overly cautious. He is, as Alfred points out, trying to simultaneously training a soldier and protecting a child. I think the conflicted Bruce approach would be great for introducing a film Robin.
Sounds good :up: I will check it out.

Yeah I have enjoyed what I've read from Lemire in the past, and I also just finished the latest issue of Mazebook which is Really good so far as well.
I'm also looking forward to reading Sweet Tooth, but haven't gotten around to picking it up yet.

I can definitly agree with @Babillygunn on this, super surprised how great Robin & Batman feels.
Shouldnt be considering who writes it and who draws it, but still.
I guess the mix makes this first Chapter so good.
The Writing is on point especially with Bruce on this, really happy so far with this and im definitly looking forward to the next.
If it can stay on this level, it can be easily one THE must read Batman and Robin stories for the future.

I dont understand this because it seems to imply that the concept of change is so unknown.
There are people in their 40s etc who come to the realization that they are Gay or Transgender.
We all grow up constantly and learn new things about us...so i never understand this idea that a character who for a long period was straight, cant become gay.

You're right about people doing their coming-out at any age. So OK the characters make their choices and become gay or whatever it's fine. And you're right, a character could think about what he wants and decides that he is gay. I did not think about that aspect.
Still, what I dislike is how pushed and fake it is. As I was saying in a poor way is that "they" are surfing on the fashion, because it makes the character cool. They are not getting more inclusiv, they're promoting it, which is, to me, a problem. They sell him/her as gay.
I don't see sexuality as a criteria of my identity. I would hate to be reduced as "homosexual" when I have other things in me, you know. Or I would hate to be reduced as "heterosexual".
Those companies are here to make money and those are fictionnal charaters. So they can be whatever we like according to what is the fashion at the time they're published.
The coincidence bothers me in fact.

Still, what I dislike is how pushed and fake it is. As I was saying in a poor way is that "they" are surfing on the fashion, because it makes the character cool. They are not getting more inclusiv,

And? Everything in any medium is done to follow some trend...everything.
Nothing is really organic.
Why should POC, LGBT be the only ones who cant profit of that?
We get the whole "grounded" stuff of Comic Book heroes nowadays just because its a trend that Christopher Nolan started...is that making it less good?
So what if something is done to make characters "Cool"...doesnt bother people when it comes to the straight white characters.

they're promoting it, which is, to me, a problem. They sell him/her as gay.
I don't see sexuality as a criteria of my identity. I would hate to be reduced as "homosexual" when I have other things in me, you know. Or I would hate to be reduced as "heterosexual".

Really the only ones who see little more in Jon than this, are the ones who have a problem with it.
That goes for most LGBT characters, the ones who see nothing but their sexuality, are mostly the ones who have a problem with that aspect, the rest sees the characters as a whole.

Those companies are here to make money and those are fictionnal charaters. So they can be whatever we like according to what is the fashion at the time they're published.
The coincidence bothers me in fact.

Again, that doesnt bother people otherwise too much.
People take the changes made to Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman etc because it was fashion back in the day, with a handkiss...but when its in fashion to include LGBT content, its a sacrilege? Nah, in a medium where everything is based on forcing things into a certain direction to follow trends etc...i dont see why LGBT content shouldnt be allowed to do the same.

I’m glad that it’s over, but the ending of Fear State felt:

upload_2021-11-16_9-5-5.gif

rushed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"