The General Comic Discussion Thread - Part 2

I absolutely love Batgirls.
Perfect art. Perfect tone. 100% playfulness. everything just fits with that book.

I just caught up with Batman: Killing Time.

The Help is a pretty formidable and interesting villain. I don’t love the idea of
he and Batman having a team-up
But it does beg the question of where has he been? If he is this much of a player and knows the people whom he knows, why doesn’t Batman know about him?

Plus, I thought this was advertised as more of a “fun heist comic.” But it is really quite brutal and violent. It’s actually pretty jarring how high the body count is, and how brutal the kills.

I will re-read Superman For All Seasons in his memory. It's probably my favourite Supes stories.

gPJxgl9.png

Also, don't miss out on his Marvel stuff that he did with his long-time collaborator Jeph Loeb.

3IaRh5B.png

zd4jd9x.png

yHk3vQ4.png

I will re-read Superman For All Seasons in his memory. It's probably my favourite Supes stories.

gPJxgl9.png

Also, don't miss out on his Marvel stuff that he did with his long-time collaborator Jeph Loeb.

3IaRh5B.png

zd4jd9x.png

yHk3vQ4.png
I have been intending to re-read Superman For All Seasons for the last few months because I really don’t remember much of it. I read it a few years ago and forgot much of the story.

I’m currently reading the Scott Snyder Justice League run, and once I finish I think this’ll be next up.

Daredevil: Yellow and Superman For All Seasons was some of the first graphic novels I read when I really started to read comics. This news breaks my heart. R.I.P Tim Sale you’ll live on through your legendary work.

Same. I don't feel like his style works for Daredevil for example, but when it comes to Batman, it's perfection.
See for me that’s when I feel in love with his art in Daredevil: Yellow but yes with Batman he’s one of the greats.

The news of Tim Sale hit me hard, another one of the all time greats we lost this year alone...it hurts.
He is a name that followed a fan for a long time, and not just if you are DC fan.
I was always hoping we would get a few more sequels etc to the Long Halloween and such, sad to see that this wont happen...RIP.

With that we go into Comics week, remembering Tim Sale.

Batgirls #7

There is little to say outside of "I LOVE IT SO MUCH".
Another one of those series where the team seems to work well together and you can feel how much they care about the characters.

Batman: Urban Legends #16

Ah yes, the final of the Zatanna and Bathound stories.
And what a great way to end them, really enjoyed how they turned out.
As if that however wasnt already enough, nope they throw in a Alfred story and give me some really heartfelt Bruce/Alfred stuff...i hate everyone who ever agreed to kill alfred off, may you step on legos for the rest of your lifes.
Anyway...a incredible good few issues on this, where you get 2-3 stories in one book that are really fun.

Superman: Son of Kal-El #12

One of the few issues that didnt hit as they should and make me actually wish kid Jon back.
I dont know, this issue just didnt work for me and it kind of makes Jon feel incredible empty as character.
Which is strange because then most of the issues do a good job, but here and there it seems that Taylor writes Jon very flat.

Wonder Woman #778

Again it feels like WW gets the short end of the stick.
A rather lackluster issue in an arc that overall feels very slow and boring.
I dont know, maybe im just a bit tired of the creative team or so...but its not clicking with me.

A goodish week, but i wont deny that maybe ive gone a bit sad into this because of Tim Sale passing away and all.
But then, Batgirls and Urban Legends worked for me as usual...so maybe its really those other issues and not my mindset reading them.

EDIT: Uwahhh...i totally forgot about Jurassic League.XD

Jurassic League #2

It is such a incredible series and the idea blows me away in issue 2 too.
So cool, im having a ton of fun with what they do on this.

Last edited:
First, the passing of Tim Sale was quite a blow that came out of nowhere. I went back and gawked over his artwork. Catwoman: When In Rome *might* be my favorite of his work. It evoked the 40's, 50's and 60's, but never felt retro or nostalgic. His art style was so distinct and much like Darwyn Cooke, I doubt we'll ever see someone close to that caliber of art ever again. His was such a timeless style.

Speaking of Darwyn Cooke, I bought the Parker vol. 2 Martini Edition Last Call hardcover. It just reminded me of how huge a loss it was to the art world when Cooke died. This book comes in at Absolute size, so the art is about 2x larger than the original hardcover editions of the Parker adaptions previously released. These books are masterclasses in visual and narrative storytelling, and seeing them at this size is awe inspiring. This particular volume includes a short story by Ed Brubaker and Sean Philips (who also designed this book), and a round table discussion about Cooke with Brubaker, Bruce Timm and Scott Dunbier. I already have the original 4 hardcover novels Cooke did, but this Martini Edition and vol. 1 are well worth the double dip. And as two of my hardcovers are signed and doodled by Cooke (done when I met him at NY Comic Con years ago), I won't be getting rid of them at all.

Anyways, it's new comics Wednesday. I'm gonna go ahead a give a SPOILERS warning since I'm assuming most folks here haven't had a chance to either pick up or read the new books yet.

Last week was pretty small with one book: The Cimmerian: Hour of the Dragon #4. This completes the 4-issue adaptation of Robert E. Howard's only Conan novel. It was pretty darn good, but ultimately suffers from being too short. It glosses over lots of good material and concludes a little too quickly. Overall, this has been the better Conan book since Marvel got the rights. And now that Marvel lost the rights, only for them to get picked up by Titan Books, it remains to be seen of these Ablaze Comics english translations of French Conan comics can still reign supreme.

Black Adam #1. Best book of the week. It's nice to see the Marvel family moving away from Geoff Johns and into the hands of new creators (the Mary Marvel book also looks fantastic) and here, Christopher Priest imbues deft knowledge of world politics and race relations into this book as only he can. The interviews I've read with him indicate that this is gonna be a wild, absorbing ride, and probably the first intelligent story about Black Adam in a very long time. It also seems diametrically opposed to having any synergy to the film, which looks pretty "meh" to me. Online discussion seems focussed on the speech patterns of one particular character, which in the ignorant land of outspoken comics-fandom apparently determines the quality of a book. Ignore that stuff. This book was tops, and shouldn't be overlooked. Buy this.

Rest of the week was pretty disappointing in some ways.

Flash #783. A Dark Crisis tie-in. I'm not reading the main book, primarily because Death of The Justice League was perhaps the single worst comic I've read this year, so much did it turn me off of reading Dark Crisis. This issue was fun, though pretty forgettable. It was great seeing the Flash Family back together again, but all this story does is force DC to come up with yet another way to reconcile Barry and Wally co-existing as The Flash. I'm here for the long run, as Jeremy Adams' run has so far been awesome. But it seems that until Dark Crisis is over at the end of the year, plans for the Flash Family remain up in the air.

World's Finest #4. Easy, breezy, and forgettable. That's really all there is to say about this one. As fun as this book has been, it's not very engaging and I don't particularly find this villain to be all that compelling. I like the more personal dynamic between Batman and Superman (calling each other by their real names as opposed to their superhero names), but $4.00 for a book that could be read in about 30 seconds, it was pretty disappointing.

Nightwing #93. Another disappointment. We've had Taylor on this book for over a year, and while I love the artwork, and can appreciate the more up-beat tone of the book, this book is just too damn fluffy for it's own good and so superficial. There's no true sense of danger and the stakes never seem real, and it feels like this story is taking forever to get anywhere. The same is happening over in Superman: Son of Kal-El, which I dropped. All of the social progressiveness used as story beats, which attracted me to these books in the first place, feels so shallow and naive. There's no exploration of these as actual themes, barring Jon's relationship with Jay. They feel like one and done "Gotcha!" counter point moments that belong to some online argument we're not privy to. I'll give this book a few more issues, but my interest in this book is waning severely. There's more to Nightwing than this. I hope we get to covering that sooner than later.

Comics Week and since we are approaching July, it is probably time to Review the first half of the year…Awesome, that’s about it.
I cant remember the last time I had a week I would say was bad, even if you have 1-2 issues that aren’t as fantastic, there are more issues in the week that are absolutely good.

So yeah, so far 2022 is a incredible fun DC comics year.

Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong #1

Okay I love that we get another Aquaman team up, I love that idea.
First Green Arrow, now Flash…I like that.
Of course having a Aquaman singles run would be neat, but boy do in enjoy those team ups at the moment.

And this started even stronger than the Green Arrow one, already a fantastic base for a arc and im super interested in it.

Batman/Superman Worlds Finest #4

They go all out with this one right? Because god damn is it good.
The art, the writing…incredible.

Batman: The Knight #6

Ah yes, the expected event happened…but damn was that still good.
I really enjoy this and how it Fills gaps I had personally when it came to Bruce’s training and all.
But even without that, on its own this Book is fantastic, great art and the writing is working on many levels for me.

Black Adam #1

Boy did that came out of nowhere, I really didn’t had this on the Radar at all.
But now for sure.
And man does Black Adam gain momentum currently, I like it.
Don’t get me wrong, as Villian he is fantastic…but this kind of anti hero or whatever you want to call it direction, is pretty cool.
Anyway, this book already has me hooked with issue 1 and you can tell this will be wild.
Definitly worth giving it a chance.

Dark Crisis: Young Justice #1

Im kind of getting confused with the Dark Crisis stuff already, losing sense of time and where the hell characters are and what is going on.
It’s the negative when you read as many books as I do in the week, you tend to get lost.
And this Issue didn’t really help clear it up.
The Continuity is kind of messy at the moment, im struggling a bit.
The issue was okay, nothing really ground breaking and the writing felt kind of off at times.

The Flash #783

This is how you do a tie in comic.
Nothing too overly complicated, simple and effective.
It definitely makes me more interested in the Flash aspect of Dark Crisis than anything else so far.

Nightwing #93

Like many said so far about this across the internet, not too much happened.
This is when Taylor is at his worst I feel, when you notice that a political message or pure fan service is his main goal.
Now don’t get me wrong, im all for using comics to tackle issues etc…but Taylor tends to once in a while be very on your nose with it where it then feels less genuine.
And even on the Fan service side with Taylor you noticed it right away when its hammered in for the sake of it instead of it being a more natural part of the story progress.
He has this “problems” at times, not too often but often enough to be noticeable.
Its weird because then there are other times he is able to do both in a very good way because it fits the story, and then its super good on his part.

But maybe at times this is what is needed, I don’t know.
I just felt this particular issue wasn’t one of his better ones…which is a shame because I love every Barbara/Dick stuff normally.
Oh well, I assume reading this issue in a few weeks or months again, could change my opinion on it.

Overall a nice week.

Black Adam #1

Boy did that came out of nowhere, I really didn’t had this on the Radar at all.
But now for sure.
And man does Black Adam gain momentum currently, I like it.
Don’t get me wrong, as Villian he is fantastic…but this kind of anti hero or whatever you want to call it direction, is pretty cool.
Anyway, this book already has me hooked with issue 1 and you can tell this will be wild.
Definitly worth giving it a chance.
This was a great debut issue and I can’t wait to see where the creative team takes this book. The writing and art are on point so I also recommend this one. Not bad for my first Christopher Preist monthly.

Nightwing #93. Another disappointment. We've had Taylor on this book for over a year, and while I love the artwork, and can appreciate the more up-beat tone of the book, this book is just too damn fluffy for it's own good and so superficial. There's no true sense of danger and the stakes never seem real, and it feels like this story is taking forever to get anywhere. The same is happening over in Superman: Son of Kal-El, which I dropped. All of the social progressiveness used as story beats, which attracted me to these books in the first place, feels so shallow and naive. There's no exploration of these as actual themes, barring Jon's relationship with Jay. They feel like one and done "Gotcha!" counter point moments that belong to some online argument we're not privy to. I'll give this book a few more issues, but my interest in this book is waning severely. There's more to Nightwing than this. I hope we get to covering that sooner than later.
Nightwing #93

Like many said so far about this across the internet, not too much happened.
This is when Taylor is at his worst I feel, when you notice that a political message or pure fan service is his main goal.
Now don’t get me wrong, im all for using comics to tackle issues etc…but Taylor tends to once in a while be very on your nose with it where it then feels less genuine.
And even on the Fan service side with Taylor you noticed it right away when its hammered in for the sake of it instead of it being a more natural part of the story progress.
He has this “problems” at times, not too often but often enough to be noticeable.
Its weird because then there are other times he is able to do both in a very good way because it fits the story, and then its super good on his part.

But maybe at times this is what is needed, I don’t know.
I just felt this particular issue wasn’t one of his better ones…which is a shame because I love every Barbara/Dick stuff normally.
Oh well, I assume reading this issue in a few weeks or months again, could change my opinion on it.

I am very surprised by your all’s reviews of Nightwing. I really continue to enjoy Taylor’s writing. Sure it’s a slow burner and taking its time, but I’m loving the journey and Bruno Redondo’s art is quite possibly the best in the business right now.

I LOVED this issue, as I have every Nightwing issue in Infinite Frontier.

I have a horror story for you guys. Against better judgement I bought one of the Johns GL Omnis from Amazon, since they had The best price. The book arrived in a Brown paper bag! Unbelieveable.
As you can Imagine it was pretty beat up, but I told them they can't treat a book like that and I am gonna give them another chance at a succesful delivery.

I have a horror story for you guys. Against better judgement I bought one of the Johns GL Omnis from Amazon, since they had The best price. The book arrived in a Brown paper bag! Unbelieveable.
As you can Imagine it was pretty beat up, but I told them they can't treat a book like that and I am gonna give them another chance at a succesful delivery.
I bought a hard copy version of Superman vs Muhammad Ali for my son last Christmas. I opened the box and they had taped the box to the dust jacket and it ripped when I opened the box.

I bought a hard copy version of Superman vs Muhammad Ali for my son last Christmas. I opened the box and they had taped the box to the dust jacket and it ripped when I opened the box.
That's crazy.
To contrast that, my latest ebay buy was a single paperback, and it came wrapped in 3 layers of packaging. That guy went above and beyond.

That’s one of the reasons I get most of my Omni’s from Cheap Graphic Novels. They’re usually cheaper than Amazon AND they package them quite well.

That’s one of the reasons I get most of my Omni’s from Cheap Graphic Novels. They’re usually cheaper than Amazon AND they package them quite well.
Oh yeah, for sure. When it comes to big books I normally try to get them from a proper comic book store, since they know how to pack the books properly.

Already the last comics week of June, which means soon Zdarskys Batman run will begin…oh boy, I can not wait for next week.
This will be wild, I can feel it.

Anyway, onto this weeks comics week

Action Comics #1044

As usual the arc is fantastic, maybe a bit slow here and there…with the way comics are done, length is more often than not a problem, can drag too long etc.
This is not the case with Action Comics yet, but you felt that this issue was slow.
Still, Im so into this arc…again I have to say that Im glad I gave it a chance instead of dropping it, I would regret it.

Batman: Beyond the White Knight #4

Also as usual, Murphys world is so great, especially visual.
He puts his own spin on those characters that feels very unique but still in character.
Nothing to complain here from me, im just enjoying that we get more from Murphys universe.

Detective Comics #1061

A nice ending to Mariko Tamakis Run, which was a very good run in my opinion.
Some fantastic Arcs and definitely one that will come into my collection.
The Arc didn’t ended on such a strong note I hoped and the first issue seemed to go, it tackles very basic Batman Mission and all that, vaguely as many do…a bit more depth I would appreciate.
Still, good way to end a run…I wish her good luck and maybe we see her on a Batman book again soon, I really liked what she brought to the table.

Funny that they choose a cover like this, considering what is going on in another Batman related comic we don’t need to talk about. XD

Harley Quinn #16

Finally got the origins of the newest Harley Quinn villain, eh…understandable but kind of boring as origin.
Still, the potential is there to make something profound here, especially in the face of Harley Quinn Redemption arc…the potential is huge here to really get into it.
Im hoping they will do that, would be fantastic.
All in all, the book continues to be interesting, from the art style to the writing…im having fun.

Robin #15

This issue was better than the last by a long mile.
Had a weird pacing and its always strange to see Bruce and Talia act like parents, it just feels so out of character since we haven’t seen that too often…I mean we see Bruce here and there as parent…but way too little and never with the other parent of his kids.
So its weird.
Still, I like how the issue makes everyone feel so very human, you normally have Bruce, Talia and Damian be more stoic, so seeing them more emotional is neat.
The Run is slowly coming to an end, and it makes me sad.
One of DCs Strongest books in the “Infinite frontier”, I will miss his for sure once its over.

A great week to end June and go fully into the second half of 2022 with some incredible stuff coming up, I cant wait.

I got my replacement book from Amazon today, slightly better packed this time. One of the corners had a slight bend to it but I'll take it.

Already the last comics week of June, which means soon Zdarskys Batman run will begin…oh boy, I can not wait for next week.
This will be wild, I can feel it.
I haven't read any Batman or Detective stuff since N52, but I am super curious about what Zdarsky is gonna do with him.

The return of Gaiman and Buckingham to finish the second (and presumably the third and final) part of their Miracleman run is HUGE. That it took me this long to catch it, and the fact that no one is making a big deal out of this is disappointing. Up until last March, the original copy of Miracleman #15 was the most expensive comic I ever bought, and this has been one of my favorite runs of comics since I became a dedicated comics fan and collector. Marvel's initial reprinting of the Moore stuff was riddled with censorship and printing issues and were partly the reason that I didn't waste my time with those. But I hope those problems are rectified when they put out the omnibus later this year.

Anyways, new comics week!

Batman/Catwoman #12 sees the long awaited conclusion to Tom King & Clay Mann's maxi series that serves as a continuation of sorts to his 85+ issue run of Batman. I've been pretty vocal about how I really dislike this book, and this issue only reinforces that. While I really need to set aside the time to binge read all 12 issues, I still have no idea what this book is about. Month to month, I found myself confused over what was happening, and while the three parallel timelines seemed interesting at first, it ultimately comes across as pointless. The Phantasm story really serves no purpose to highlight Bruce, Selina, or their relationship. The story as a whole fails to comment on that relationship or their differences or similarities and why ultimately Bruce and Selina belong together. Their daughter Helena feels so incredibly thrown away. The relationship between Selina and The Joker feels long winded and needlessly abstract. Utimately, I was expecting an extension of Batman Annual #2, the Batman/Catwoman holiday special, and the Bat/Cat story in the Catwoman 80th Anniversary special. As it is, those are really the only stories you need. I'd reckon that this is probably King's worst story, worse than Heroes in Crisis. With HIC, I understood where King was trying to take the story, and what the story was trying to say. With Bat/Cat, it just feels like a meandering mess that ultimately does nothing, says nothing, and serves nothing.

Swamp Thing #14 once again shows how great a talent Ram V is. I find his prose and his ideas so invigorating. While I'm curious to see how this run concludes, this has been a much needed reinvention of the Swamp Thing character who had the misfortune of only growing more and more stale as the New52 and Rebirth continued, thanks to Snyder and Tynion. Ram V thankfully imbues this new title with all of the excitement and sophistication not seen on this title since Mark Millar's run concluded Volume 2 back in the mid-90s. This book is special. I hope it can capitalize on it.

Action Comics #1044. We have 2 months and 3 issues before the Warworld Saga concludes itself and I find myself constantly finishing this book with total awe. Philip Kennedy Johnson has demonstrated such a brilliant understanding of Superman's humanity and drive that I can't help but put him at the top of the list of best recent Superman writers. He smokes Bendis and runs circles around Tomasi. This is the treatment Superman has always needed. It shows all the potential of the character and his supporting cast, regardless of Jon being a kid or an adult. Johnson's Action Comics thus far, is the book that should serve as a template for all future Superman stories. Seeing all the pieces of this narrative come together has been so rewarding, especially for a story that has lasted this long. It's a testament to Johnson's abilities as a writer that he's been able to sustain the story for over 15 issues. Hopefully he can keep it up after he returns Superman to Earth!

I’m curious. What is everyone’s opinions on Kamandi? What do you think about the character in general and what do you think about Kirby’s original run?

I am currently reading vol 1 of Batman Urban Legends. It cointains 2 different stories from The first 6 issues.
It seems like the original issues had even more stories, does anyone know if those are collected in the second volume?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"