The General Comic Discussion Thread - Part 2

Of course, the French translation of Supergirl: WoT is a hardcover... :whatever:

s-l1600.jpg

Big Comics Week
Making up for last weeks lack of Comic week, we got a rather big one this time.

Batgirls #18

Same as usual with this one…its fun.

The strongest aspect in this is the character writing, especially when it comes to the Batgirls bond.
Its why I will miss the series mainly.
Getting a series focused on these 3 is so cool…I will miss it a ton once its over because I doubt we will get something like that for a long time.
A great Issue that hits all good notes I feel.

Covers, they all are fine but the regular one has something.

Batman / Superman: World's Finest #15

What is there to say? It’s a must read and that’s pretty much it.
No words really can do justice how the art and writing fit together and elevate this whole series so much.
Its on its own level and absolutely THE Series to read currently.

The Regular Cover is fine, they all are good but I like the regular one the most.

Batman: The Brave and the Bold #1

Starts strong enough to not get dragged down by the other stories in there that don’t really work for me.
The Joker story already is top notch.
Really cool vibe, the art and writing are crazy good.

Again here is the Regular cover the one I like the most.
Seems this week its all about the Regular covers for me.

Black Adam #11

Ah we sadly keep going with a writing style that loses me between panels.
The flow here is really strange and I don’t get the hang of it.
It makes it hard to judge the issue because I get distracted.
Which is a shame because the story started strong.

Here we are again with the Regular cover working the best for me.

The Flash #799

That was a fun but also kind of weird issue.
I liked it and it reminds me again how I will miss this run so much.

Absolutely a run I want to read soon again from start to finish.

As for the Cover…yeah you guessed it, the regular one.

Superman #4

This series is reaching new heights with every issue.

Campbell’s art is the strongest element here.
Story isn’t bad or so, but Jamals art is just incredible.
And then close following a plot that is absolutely interesting with character writing that has you engaged from start to finish.
Such a great run so far.

On this one nobody can blame me for liking the Regular cover the most, that one looks so cool.

Wonder Woman #799

You are not helping yourself when a lot of the Issue is involving Steve Trevor sitting on a couch and being his boring usual self.
The rest of the issue was fine but we all just waiting for the new chapter to start at this point.

This time its not the regular cover, although its nice too.
Razzah Cover is fire and so is the Terry Dodson one.

A very very strong comic week, a lot of fun to have.

Batman / Superman: World's Finest #15

What is there to say? It’s a must read and that’s pretty much it.
No words really can do justice how the art and writing fit together and elevate this whole series so much.
Its on its own level and absolutely THE Series to read currently.

I got the first volume for this a few days ago (collecting the first 5 issues), and I am hooked on this series! So please help me out here, is the Batman vs Robin mini meant to be read before the rest of WF (issue 6 and forward), or alternating issues?
Also, the Lazarus Planet "event" seems to be a lot of unnecessary tie in issues? What issues of that storyline do I need to get?

I got the first volume for this a few days ago (collecting the first 5 issues), and I am hooked on this series! So please help me out here, is the Batman vs Robin mini meant to be read before the rest of WF (issue 6 and forward), or alternating issues?
Also, the Lazarus Planet "event" seems to be a lot of unnecessary tie in issues? What issues of that storyline do I need to get?
I don’t think that Batman vs Robin or Lazarus Planet are necessary to enjoy World’s Finest. They take place in present day whereas World’s Finest are stories from the past. That’s why Dick is the Robin in World’s Finest.

So my answer would be: don’t feel obligated to read Batman vs Robin or Lazarus Planet in order to enjoy World’s Finest. Only read those if you want to.

I don’t think that Batman vs Robin or Lazarus Planet are necessary to enjoy World’s Finest. They take place in present day whereas World’s Finest are stories from the past. That’s why Dick is the Robin in World’s Finest.

So my answer would be: don’t feel obligated to read Batman vs Robin or Lazarus Planet in order to enjoy World’s Finest. Only read those if you want to.
Thanks! I'm honestly not a big fan of Damian, so I will probably skip it then.

Thanks! I'm honestly not a big fan of Damian, so I will probably skip it then.
That shouldn’t detract from enjoying World’s Finest at all. And the next volume is even better in my opinion.

That said, if you aren’t a fan of Damien but have an open mind, I would suggest Williamson’s Robin run. It might change your mind. It was one of the highlights of Infinite Frontier.

That shouldn’t detract from enjoying World’s Finest at all. And the next volume is even better in my opinion.

That said, if you aren’t a fan of Damien but have an open mind, I would suggest Williamson’s Robin run. It might change your mind. It was one of the highlights of Infinite Frontier.
Good to hear. I enjoyed the heck out of the first arc of WF and Will for sure continue reading, but the next volume doesn't release until september.

I see. I'll think about it.

Last edited:

I think so but its been a while.
I think it goes World's Finest 1-5, then Batman vs. Robin 1-4, Lazarus Planet: Alpha, then Omega, Batman vs. Robin #5, and then you can carry on with Worlds Finest because i dont think WF mentiones the plot after 5 anymore.

If the conclussion of the arc doesnt interest you, i think you can skip BvR and move on to issue 6 of WF.

They have gone overboard with Tie ins, crossovers etc in recent times.
Like for the Shadow War i think it was 5 different books or so...crazy.

Was the basic problem with New 52 that neither the writers or readers really wanted to reboot, disregard, lose the previous continuity of Batman, thought the current origin and continuity/version was pretty good? And the writers did want to reboot/retool Superman but most of the readers didn't want him to be much retooled and so a reboot with keeping most of Batman but changing other characters felt too weird and more generally there wasn't much fan desire to have have reboot of the universe, what was before wasn't really broken and shouldn't be abandoned?

Marvel's Ultimate was an interesting idea, have a new, more modernized version of the universe existing in addition to the older/original version although that also ran into problems of the new versions often being criticized as either too change for the sake of change or not different enough and a lot of readers ultimately, excuse me, not caring or being interested enough in the new versions (while continuing to care more, enough for the original universe) to where it was although after many years ended.

I too am a DC Universe Ultra fanatic. It was one of the best purchases I’ve ever made. And being Ultra tier has been great as I only wait a month for the comics to be released to Ultra.

That sounds pretty sweet. DC Universe isn't available in my region though, sadly.

Ah, I see. No, unfortunately DC Universe doesn't have a store. But the "Ultra" tier only has a 1-month delay on the latest releases there.

I generally don't buy digital comics - I read digitally, and then the ones I like, I buy physical copies of the collected editions. But when I have bought digital comics, it was either on Comixology or on Amazon and read on my Kindle app.

There is of course the other avenue that doesn't exactly involve buying digital comics, and reading them on a comics reader app, but I can't endorse that. Publicly. :hehe:

Yeah I usually trade-wait as well, unless there is a series where I just can't wait, and in those cases I buy the digital issues.

Haha, I try to stay away from those kind of avenues :hilarious:

I ended up going back to Comixology, the app is even worse than it was just a few months back. Ugh, but I can't afford to trade-wait now that Daredevil is on the final issues :coolguy:

In other news, I have recieved a couple of new books which I have been finishing pretty much right away.

One Dark Knight by Jock; This is a fun story, not amazing or anything, but I would say that the art alone would reason enough to read. Some minor character actions that bothered me, but overall pretty good.

Batman by Zdarsky vol 1 (issues 1-6), My boy Tim is back :basicgrin: really good read if you ask me. The plot itself feels kinda basic but I am onboard and will get the next volume as well. That art though, just fabolous!

Batman/Superman Worlds Finest vol 1 (issues 1-5), I know you guys here are raving about this series and I can tell why! I had a blast reading these issues, and it's beautifully drawn as well. Amazing work.

I also recieved my copy of Seven to Eternity Deluxe Edition, but the book was totally destroyed during shipping. Still readable though, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I think so but its been a while.
I think it goes World's Finest 1-5, then Batman vs. Robin 1-4, Lazarus Planet: Alpha, then Omega, Batman vs. Robin #5, and then you can carry on with Worlds Finest because i dont think WF mentiones the plot after 5 anymore.

If the conclussion of the arc doesnt interest you, i think you can skip BvR and move on to issue 6 of WF.

They have gone overboard with Tie ins, crossovers etc in recent times.
Like for the Shadow War i think it was 5 different books or so...crazy.
Thanks for this :like:

Comics Week…yeah that’s about it.XD

Action Comics #1055

Same as with the last issue of this.
The Current Superfamily stuff is high quality on all corners.
Incredible happy how a few issues gave Metallo a needed Elevation of character.
Really like what they did with him in this arc.

The Steel Backup gets quite a lot of hate online from what I gather.
Its whatever to me, I don’t take these Backup stories too serious.
Its not good but also not as awful as people claim it is…lets see where this goes.

The Regular Cover is absolutely great…I love it.

Green Arrow #2

Another Fun issue and what I said about the last, is true here too.
BUY THIS COMIC many times.
And can I again say how much I love the recent years of focus on “family”.
Absolutely love it.
Anyway, buy this comic with all its cool covers.

Harley Quinn #30

Here the same goes for the Last issue in all the bad ways.
The Story is just weird and gives you trouble being able to keep up.
The Art does the rest with being just too much, it is distracting.
Too bad that the Series is so uneven in terms of quality.

The one consistent high point of this are the Covers, they are always really really good.
Here too, all of them have something and I don’t know which I like the most.

Nightwing #104

A good ending to a rather dull arc I have to say.
This issue was far stronger than the previous one and ends a rather lackluster arc on a high note for me.
I continue to like how they build up Nightwing, but im getting a bit tired at this becoming more and more a Teen Titans story.
Especially since we have a new Titans book if I remember correctly.
We need to go back to this being a Nightwing Solo, that is where the strength was.
The Backup story was super neat and I get more and more into Dick and Jon as friends.

I love Vasco Georgievs Cover, but it doesn’t fit the style and theme so I think the rest fits better.
They all are Teen Titans focused cover…but its absolutely the best of the bunch imo…I like it a lot.

Im waiting for a few issues of City Boy and the peoples opinion on it before giving this a try.
Other than that, a smaller week in comics which I appreciate since May is a super busy month for me, I have trouble giving Comics the time they deserve.
So its good when smaller comic weeks are in that month.
It was a good comic week, had fun.

I continue to like how they build up Nightwing, but im getting a bit tired at this becoming more and more a Teen Titans story.

I love the Titans. I was ticked with what they did to them in Rebirth. And I love having Nightwing be the face of DC and the leader of all of the heroes. That said, I don’t like Titans being the flagship team. I am afraid that it doesn’t work as well. The Justice League is a roster, whereas the Titans are a clique. It’s a really cool clique with great dynamics, but I think that if Dick were to be taken seriously, they should’ve given him a different team to lead.

I love the Titans. I was ticked with what they did to them in Rebirth. And I love having Nightwing be the face of DC and the leader of all of the heroes. That said, I don’t like Titans being the flagship team. I am afraid that it doesn’t work as well. The Justice League is a roster, whereas the Titans are a clique. It’s a really cool clique with great dynamics, but I think that if Dick were to be taken seriously, they should’ve given him a different team to lead.

Yeah, i dont think the Titans work as the Big Guns.
They work in stories like the Nightwing one, smaller scale.
Not that i think they couldnt deal with World ending problems or so, but they just dont feel like this big team.

Having Nightwing run the Justice League would work far better imo establishing him as the Face of DC so to speak.
Its already hard enough if you want to have the Justice league with different members than the normal one, there is a reason why Jon leading the Justice League didnt really work.
Nightwing has the chance to be established for the Future as part of the Justice League, but you cant do that with the Titans.

I just realized I haven't posted anything since mid-April so I'll play some selective catch-up.

We recently hit the half-way mark of Danger Street with #6, with one of the best covers of the year. King's handling of the New Gods remains unsurpassed, but I think the sleeper hit here's gonna be with Manhunter. His part of the story remains as engrossing and as intense as ever. Wouldn't be the first time Manhunter's hi-jacked and elevated an already great story into the upper echelons of bonafides classics (see: James Robinson's The Golden Age).

Batman: The Brave & The Bold #1. The surprise here was actually the Superman story. Christopher Cantwell kind of held my attention with his run on Iron Man not too long ago, losing it by simply dragging out a story far past its welcome. But his Superman tale, part 1 of 3, has me hooked, and Javier Rodriguez punches it up a notch as well. I think the King/Gerads Joker story will prove to be a classic by it's conclusion. While we've already got a pretty perfect retelling of this story originally seen in Batman #1 in the form of Ed Brubaker's The Man Who Laughs, what King brings to the table here, largely due to the work of Mitch Gerads, is present a deeply unsettling, literate, gothic nightmare that far surpasses the simple parlor room mystery noir trappings of the original.

Action Comics #1055. I really hate to say it, but PJK is losing me here. This Metallo story started off solid enough, but the exposition here has been dreadful and overwrought. It's beginning to feel like the very tail end of the Warworld Saga: rushed. I feel like so much of the steam PJK built up in Action Comics got prematurely released when Williamson took over and relaunched the main Superman title and now we're back to basic Superman style stories in both books when the potential to go above and beyond those kinds of stories was clearly working. We'll see how it goes. There are still so many lingering plot threads left over from Warworld that I'd like to see explored.

Flash #799. What a doozy that ending was. Not spoiling it, but I hope that's picked up on going forward somewhere in a DC book because that revelation was huge!

Not sure if anyone's been reading the new Doctor Strange book at Marvel, but 2 issues in, I'm sold. It's very much a cosmic, supernatural take on the Thin Man series of crime films from the 30s and 40s, with Stephen Strange and Clea in the William Powell/Myrna Loy roles. It's pretty great.

Stargirl finally ended, which was cool. JSA keeps getting pushed, but we keep getting gorgeous Jerry Ordway art so it's worth it despite this book being more about the Huntress Helena Wayne than the JSA. Alan Scott, Jay Garrick, and Wesley Dodds all get their own 6-issue mini series later this year and I'm all for it. Not sure if anyone picked it up on Free Comic Book Day, but the new Conan series from Titan Comics is looking to be pretty damn great!

Having Nightwing run the Justice League would work far better imo establishing him as the Face of DC so to speak.
Its already hard enough if you want to have the Justice league with different members than the normal one, there is a reason why Jon leading the Justice League didnt really work.
Speaking of Nightwing leading the Justice League, I strongly suggest checking out James Robinson’s JLA run. It is one of my favorite runs and it had a very non conventional lineup of Dick Grayson’s Batman leading the team of Donna Troy, Supergirl, Jade, Starman, Jesse Quick, and Congorilla. It is an absolute blast and they face a really solid set of villains including Eclipso and the Crime Syndicate. I loved it.

Small comics week to Start June.

DC Pride 2023 #1

The usual Pride Book, nothing new there.
The usual heart put into these stories that are incredible lovely.
Its worth the price and all, I just wished DC would do this kind of stuff all year long and not just one month.
But still, I do like a LGBT focused compilation of stories.

The Regular Cover is fine, but the choice is really up to you.
I like them all.

Detective Comics #1072

Finally a new Detective Comics…feels like we haven’t had one since months for some reason.
The Issue was a bit too short for my taste, probably because you are used to more storytelling from Ram V while in this a lot is Action.
Still, very cool issue that especially makes Batman feel like an Absolute Unit tearing into those that stand in his way.
The Arc continues to be incredible good and I love all these little details etc.
Like Montoya and Gordons talk and all that, building towards her becoming better at her job.
Really great issue.

Here again its up to you in terms of Covers, but I prefer the Regular one.

Power Girl Special #1

It is a SuperFamily book so I picked it up.
But honestly, I draw a blank on Power Girl…haven’t read anything about her for a long time so im kind of confused.
But im all for Family stuff, so this was really lovely how she feels like she shouldn’t belong to the Family and the Family showing her that she is part of it.
Im a sucker for Family stories so you can get me with that.
The Writing was good, the art is nice…good stuff.

As for covers, the Regular fits the story and vibe…but Will Jacks one is nice, Stanley Laus.
They all are neat.

So yeah, small week this time, but that is okay.
June is in general a very busy month, mainly in terms of gaming for me…so I appreciate it when there are smaller comic weeks.

Small week but good week.

Did we not get a special book for AAPI month? I loved that last year but I think that I missed it this year. If they didn’t put one out, that’s very disappointing.

Also, I re-read What’s so Funny about Truth Justice and the American Way yesterday. That is still one of the best single issues ever produced, even if I do find the art (from some great artists) off putting.

Ironically, though I like For the Man Who has Everything (another Superman single issue) better.

Did we not get a special book for AAPI month? I loved that last year but I think that I missed it this year. If they didn’t put one out, that’s very disappointing.

Now that you mention it, i noticed they havent.
They did a few Variant Covers.

They had this We Are Legends which is pretty much 3 six issue series featuring asian characters.
City Boy is part of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"