God of War The Official God of War Thread - Part 2

If Sony is still in the game business, I think we will. We are after all on game 7. :woot:

One of the best aspects of the newest game is how it set's up the series to be long running. More Mario then say something like the Last of Us. Kratos can theoretically live for ever, and they have established other pantheons. Expect bleeding between them going forward. Especially when we consider what Tyr was capable of.

Cory says he has 5 games mapped out. Thats assuming he will still be doing the games. He may get burned out and leave with someone else taking over and going in a different direction. 4 more games at up to 3 years development time (or more) could be 12 years, across 3 console cycles. Anything can change

Cory said he didn't want to make the next game. But there is an overall structure to what is going forward.

I don't know how I feel about that. You can see that Cory being a father has a huge impact on many of the game's decisions, specially since it's a father-son focused story.

I know that there are many talented directors out there, but I wouldn't want to see him go so soon. I'd understand, but it's still a loss. Kratos and Atreus' dynamic was great.

I wonder if Atreus will be much older in the sequel? I picture him being 18 or 19 with long hair.

Just played the first 45 mins or so of this tonight and wow, this game seriously lives up to the hype, amazing stuff.

I wonder if Atreus will be much older in the sequel? I picture him being 18 or 19 with long hair.

He's not getting that old. [BLACKOUT]Ragnarok is supposed to come in about 3 years.[/BLACKOUT] We dont know if that will come by the next game or the third, but considering he is like 10-11 now, the oldest he's gonna get by the end of this is going to be 14

Just played the first 45 mins or so of this tonight and wow, this game seriously lives up to the hype, amazing stuff.

It gets much, much better. The first hour didnt grab me but dang it really is the GoTY as of now

We have to consider the actor as well. How old was he when he portrayed Atreus some years ago and how old will he be when he does it again? Maybe his voice will be a little changed. His size as well and I'd like to see that reflect on the character.
I don't want to think that they'll recast him.

It gets much, much better. The first hour didnt grab me but dang it really is the GoTY as of now

For me the first hour has been amazing, that fight with the stranger really was something else. I know this franchise is known for good boss fights, but out of the 2 games I have played in it, that was one of the best.

I just completed the story mode. Fantastic game!

Are there any tips on how to level up faster? I am trying to do the extra missions, and beating the Valkyries is just insanely difficult.

I thought Red Dead Redemption 2 or Spider-Man would be the first game I bought this year, but you guys are getting me hyped up for God of War again.

Is it the new best game in the series for anyone?

Last edited:
I thought Red Dead Redemption 2 or Spider-Man would be the first game I bought this year, but you guys are getting me hyped up for God of War again.

I'd it there new best have in the series for anyone?

Man you have not bought a game all year? That is crazy to me I cant remember like the last time I went this far in a year with out buying a game I wanted. I have never played RDR not really to interested in it either but I know people would think I am kind of crazy for saying that. This GOW is the only one I have played never was to interested in them before but thought I would like this one has it looked a lo different. I beat it like 1.5 months or so ago and I did like it a lot but I am pretty sure that Spiderman is going to end up being my GOTY because I love spiderman and insominiac I think is like the prefect pick for spiderman from what I have seen and I love the ratchet games been playing a lot of them lately.

I thought the Dwarves were Loki because they would show up out of nowhere. It seemed like something he would do, help us to stick it to the other Gods. It would also be kick starting Ragnarok for him. Interesting that Atreus is Loki, I think that final image on the wall with Kratos dying is only partial. Kratos will probably die but Atreus will bring him back when he outburst maybe sending some of his God ability into Kratos. They did a good job of setting up 2 more games, by just focusing on Baldur and Frigg. Next game will likely be Thor, more Serpent, Frigg, and another God or Giant showing up like Surtur. Odin will be saved for the 3rd of course.

It was a really good game, so fun and a great story. I would probably have it as my 2nd favorite in the series with the 3rd being 1st.

I just finished this the other day. Overall it's a pretty good game, but like with Spider-Man the hype was overblown. The character moments were good but formulaic, the plot nonexistent and the villains underdeveloped. The combat was about as good as melee can get, but the lack of variety got old towards the end, especially when they started to spam you with dozens of enemies simply to prolong the play time. The optional realms felt like they were from an MMO; whose idea was it to include that much grind in a single play game?

The only big things that bugged me was the constant unnecessary "reveals" about certain characters true nature (the game did it at least four times), the lack of a meaningful plot and a disappointing ending. Also, the Sigrun boss fight was beyond irritating; it took me two hours on easy mode with level 8 armor to beat

The only truly standout elements to were the music, voice acting and graphics. Still, it is better than most games being made today, and I certainly appreciate the level of care and craft that went into it, especially when single player games are gradually being phased out. With all of my caveats and nitpicks, it's still one of the best games of this generation.

The plot was nonexistent?

Did you even pay attention? It's an entirely plot driven single player game about a father and son's journey to lay their wife and mother to rest, and their developing relationship while on that journey. It's also got the Balder plotline. And Atreus's character arc. And the coming of Ragnarok plotline. Saying it has no plot is like saying Alaska has no snow.

There's a difference between character development and plot. The entirety of the plot for this game was "take mother's ashes to the highest peak in the realm." The only reason why it takes over 20 hours is because of the endless digressions it interrupts you with. Case in point, you waste nearly half of the game trying to climb a certain mountain, only to discover the right peak is somewhere else entirely. And then after spending more time finding a way to get there, Kratos' wrecks it before it can be used. There's a lot of backstory and lore, things that will become important in later games, but most of it is just foreshadowing. It felt a lot like a Netflix show, padding out a short story over too long of a run time.

I've also grown tired of this recent trend of having an in-game guide tell you what to do, especially when it has a chirpy British/Scottish accent. It happened in Mass Effect: Andromeda, and it's happening again with Anthem. It robs the player of agency, which is the most important part of any game. A lot of the Battlefield/CoD games do this too, having your character ordered around by his subordinates.

Taking the ashes to the highest peak is the premise. But they run into obstacles and the plot develops from there.

There are tangents and interruptions, but it's all in service of getting to the mountain. For the entirety of the game Kratos and Atreus are not interested in anything but getting there. Kratos even mentions when doing side quests that he's only doing it to get better gear and to train Atreus for the journey. The stuff with Baldur is a distraction and is only there so you have someone to fight and to set-up the sequels.

I'm not against stories with smaller stakes, especially with how many end-of-the-world tales we get every year, but taking the ashes to a mountain is not a big enough task to spread out over a 20 hour (or nearly 40 hour if 100% completed) game. It's basically two steps forward, one step back for the entire game. At most they should've delivered the ashes at the end of the first act, and done something else with the remaining two thirds of the story.

Last edited:
Plot means nothing anyway. It's simply a vehicle for the characters and their relationships to grow.

If I had to choose I'd pick character over plot almost every time, but the structure of the game constantly calls out and references that your only goal is to get to the mountain. I can understand if most people aren't bothered by it, but the constant delays and fetch quests for yet another item to climb the mountain got very annoying after twenty hours.

At least games like Mass Effect 2 that had very little overall plot still had self-contained mini stories that all led up to the awesome team-up at the end.

The goal develops throughout the game. And all those "side quests" tie back into their main goal because Atreus's mother knew what he'd need to do and foresaw what he would do. None of what happens in the game is random happenstance. It was destiny. Destiny his mother knew of. It all is part of Atreus's character arc and his emotional development. Kratos' development is a consequence of his actions in the other games and his developing relationship with Atreus.

Comparing this game go Mass Effect 2 is silly.

Like I said, the thing with the ashes just didn't satisfy me as the final moment for the game to end on. I only brought up ME2 because it was the only game I could think of that had very little overall plot but tons of character development, and was still a satisfying experience.

I still enjoyed the game overall (8/10 is probably how I would rate it), it just bugged me how the game was structured.

Getting to the mountain is just the goal. The journey to accomplish that goal is what matters and where the story lies.

The characters grew closer to each other, they comprehend themselves more, they learned with their mistakes and evolved from there. Atreus was taught a lot about war, about what leads to that, about to never assume anything or take it for granted. Not just from Kratos, but also Mimir and the actions from other characters. He learned about his true nature and how that can change so much and influence everything if not used wisely. Kratos learned the importance of truth, how only that would set both he and Atreus free - and we see both moments represented visually -, where his priorities should lie and that there is always more to learn.

I would've done some cuts here and there too, but to say that the plot is nonexistent is utter nonsense.

I recently bought a PS4 Pro, and I can't wait to buy this! The first game I bought was Spider-Man, which incredible, but God of War, from what I've seen, is unbelievable. I already played some of the older games, but this, with the Norse mythology, makes me want to play it even more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"