The Official PS4 Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to get off my high horse because I don't give a crap about talking to my PlayStation? :huh:

I need to get off my high horse because I don't give a crap about talking to my PlayStation? :huh:
I really don't see why gamers have been so damn opposed to things like this. It's not like things like the Kinect 2.0 and PlayStation Camera to control the interface are ruining the gaming experiences. Using motion gestures and voice control is a hell of a lot more convenient to navigate than using the Xbox Controller or DualShock. And unlike what Microsoft was doing with the Kinect with the Xbox 360, it's not like Sony and Microsoft are shoving their camera peripherals down the throats of our gaming experiences.

Such criticisms towards these peripherals have been far less substantive than the criticisms that were around when the PlayStation Move and original Kinect and feel more like the smug elitist attitude that resists any bit of change that has been plaguing the gaming industry for the past couple of years.

I really don't see why gamers have been so damn opposed to things like this. It's not like things like the Kinect 2.0 and PlayStation Camera to control the interface are ruining the gaming experiences. Using motion gestures and voice control is a hell of a lot more convenient to navigate than using the Xbox Controller or DualShock. And unlike what Microsoft was doing with the Kinect with the Xbox 360, it's not like Sony and Microsoft are shoving their camera peripherals down the throats of our gaming experiences.

Such criticisms towards these peripherals have been far less substantive than the criticisms that were around when the PlayStation Move and original Kinect and feel more like the smug elitist attitude that resists any bit of change that has been plaguing the gaming industry for the past couple of years.

:up:

I remember analogue sticks being written off as a pathetic gimmick a while back!

I'm not opposed to it... I just don't care for it. It can be there all it wants, I have no intention of using the voice feature on PS4's menus. Controller's suited me just fine for the other seven generations.

Yeah, I have no issue with it being an option, but if possible don't force it in as a necessary option and let the consumers decide if they want to go that route. Microsoft is trying to cram in Kinect hoping it will force developers to make a kickass game for it. Why doesn't Microsoft make an amazing Kinect game themselves and showcase how it can deliver more than shovelware?

Yeah, I have no issue with it being an option, but if possible don't force it in as a necessary option and let the consumers decide if they want to go that route. Microsoft is trying to cram in Kinect hoping it will force developers to make a kickass game for it. Why doesn't Microsoft make an amazing Kinect game themselves and showcase how it can deliver more than shovelware?
if you think about it. using your arms to control an interface is actually going backwards as humans since our hands and fingers evolve for precise work. if you play street fighter 4 with the Kinect against someone with a controller, chances are that you're going to lose badly. I remember I bought a motion TV controller for my brother, he could change the channels just by swinging the controller from left to right, but it's much easier and more efficient, and more simple by just pushing the buttons

Last edited:
The idea of voice control is good in theory but that thing never works out for me personally. Siri for example (which is supposed to be super advanced) is always misinterpreting what I say so it ends up being a crapshoot. Using a controller almost always works. A controller also works better for manipulating a menu than hands. Id prefer to use something that almost always works over something that sometimes does.

Last edited:
Voice tech has been in its infancy like 3D & motion tech. One of the main reasons all of these are looked down upon is that they were released to the general public way before the technology was mastered (& it still isn't). It's like releasing 520p movies and calling them high definition just because HD tech is starting up. Or adding green to a black and white TV and calling it colour TV.

On the subject of future tech, this is an old article but Sony are aiming high!

http://gamingbolt.com/sony-outlines-future-playstation-technology-8k-300fps-targeted

But if 8K & 300 FPS are on the agenda we need to have 1080p & 60 FPS for next gen.

if you think about it. using your arms to control an interface is actually going backwards as humans since our hands and fingers evolve for precise work. if you play street fighter 4 with the Kinect against someone with a controller, chances are that you're going to lose badly. I remember I bought a motion TV controller for my brother, he could change the channels just by swinging the controller from left to right, but it's much easier and more efficient, and more simple by just pushing the buttons
Well obviously most games aren't going to work with motion controls. For a lot of genres it just doesn't work and most developers don't even want to take in the time or effort to innovate with them for the genres where they can work. Kinect and the PlayStation Move proved that.

But navigating through the UI of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, motion controls will work with those.

The idea of voice control is good in theory but that thing never works out for me personally. Siri for example (which is supposed to be super advanced) is always misinterpreting what I say so it ends up being a crapshoot. Using a controller almost always works. A controller also works better for manipulating a menu than hands. Id prefer to use something that almost always works over something that sometimes does.
I've played around with the voice controls on my Android phone and never had a problem with them. I tried out my sister's Siri and never encountered any problems either.

So PlayStation on Xbox? Smart TV? Ipad? :D

No it's because of one simple fact. I don't want to pay 100 bucks more for something that is not worth it to me. It is ruining some experiences when they try to shoehorn it into some kind of game, or create/waste resource on shovelware to try and sell it more. The original Kinect/Move and the new PSEye is optional. That is where most of the anger is coming from. And it's a completely understandable one. It has nothing to do with smugness.

I say it is interesting, but not worth 100 bucks. Especially a required 100 bucks. I think it has nothing to do with smug with most people, just dollars, and what they want out of their gaming system. The nice this is, is that Sony still has the option for those that really want it. And if it does become very popular and useful in the future and I see more proof of that of course I will get one. But as of right now I don't see it as that, nor do many others.

I think both Solidus and Hippie Hunter are right. I like that these companies are exploring these technologies, but motion control hasn't really caught in terms of game sales. The Wii struggled with selling games; and Kinect or Move only games for the most part have struggled with little exceptions.

I think the difference is that Sony has been smarter about developing motion control. Sony never really went for broke with it, and at least didn't force it down developers throats the same way Microsoft did. Microsoft put a hell of a lot of resources but sales wise, most of their Kinect games have not been successful critically or sales wise.

The difference between the Move (and the upcoming PS4 camera) and the Kinect is that Sony truly sees their technology as merely an add-on while Xbox sees it as a necessity.

Nevertheless, when I look over and see the list of games released for both systems, especially when they're motion exclusive, neither system has had that huge crossover motion hit. Both critically successful exclusives both Microsoft and Sony had have been aimed at more at the casual crowd.

Either system needs a hit game to further push their technology and push interest in the more core gamers, but there hasn't been that one killer app game that is motion controlled, or majorly motion controlled.

So PlayStation on Xbox? Smart TV? Ipad? :D
:woot: Well according to that Microsoft guy you'll be able to connect your PS4 to your XB1's HDMI in and play Killzone & Halo at the same time.

Pretty sure they said it's optional. They don'twant ssomeone you don't know seeing your personal info.

I want this to be set up in a store soon so I can go get my hands on it.

Except that Microsoft IS shoving devices down peoples throats. you can't even buy an Xbox One without their Kinect. Believe it or not a lot people prefer navigating menus with a controller over yelling at their tv.

For all those that were looking forward to this part there is abit of a down side

Upgrading Titles to Next-Gen, Ghost Recon/Splinter Cell Crossover Announced

2 hours 55 minutes ago - Every day, in addition to The Daily Fix, we list off the day's biggest stories in this simple and easy to read format. Read More »

source:IGN

I hope your ok with starting over again if you play all those games on the ps3 prior to what your plans are with the ps4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"