Spider-Man The Official "I Loved Raimi's Spider-Man' Thread - Part 1 of 99 Luft - - - - Part 13

I much prefer Raimi's loveable-jerk Jameson over the MCU's more straight up unlikeable villain JJ.

Simmons JJ has just sorta been there for me in these MCU outings. Just not as charming or fun when he doesn't have a Bill Nunn, Elizabeth Banks, Ted Raimi or Tobey to play off of.

Needless to say I'm not really a fan of the modernization of Jameson.
Agreed. I mean it's great seeing JK back as the character, but something is missing from the MCU version. Raimi's just felt more pure, and all the supporting cast just helped elevate that. The Raimi movies had such memorable supporting characters.

It's because MCU JJJ has no one to rein him in or call him out on his BS. He one-sidedly rails against MCU Spider-Man and kicks him while he's emotionally down, and there isn't a Robbie or Betty Brant (at least not this version of Betty) to talk some sense into him. I think it's fine that this version of JJJ is a terrible person for the time being (to contrast the Raimi version), but if he ever comes back, he would definitely need some other characters to play off of to mitigate his unlikeable qualities.

The MCU version is so different that I wish they had just put a different actor in the role. As you all have said JK Simmons is great in the Raimi films because of his environment and the characters he’s surrounded by. I hate that any time I praise JK Simmons in the role I have to specify that I’m speaking about the Raimi version.

Sam Raimi had to cancel his RI Comic Con appearance, so it looks like I won't be meeting him this year. :snotty:

Well, there's still hope for next year for you. :like:

Me, I live in a different continent so chances of ever meeting him are slim to none.

Rewatched Spider-Man 3. I feel like this movie is aging better and better. It's so sincere, the performances are great and the action is spectacular.

Rewatched Spider-Man 3. I feel like this movie is aging better and better. It's so sincere, the performances are great and the action is spectacular.

Raimi films are corny. As the films age, this helps protect them from the ravages of time in my opinion. 3 is the corniest, but as time passes it feels more and more in line with the first two. It is a detriment to some people but it's just part of the vibe to me.

Raimi films are corny. As the films age, this helps protect them from the ravages of time in my opinion. 3 is the corniest, but as time passes it feels more and more in line with the first two. It is a detriment to some people but it's just part of the vibe to me.
I always saw it more as sincere than corny, personally. I love how the films aren't trying to be ironic in that sense, but instead embrace what it is while being relatable.

There's definitely a corniness to the Raimi movies, but I agree with Gothamknight that they're also very heartfelt and sincere, which is something that imo you don't find in many superhero movies nowadays. At least, not to the trilogy's extent.

I always saw it more as sincere than corny, personally. I love how the films aren't trying to be ironic in that sense, but instead embrace what it is while being relatable.
There's definitely a corniness to the Raimi movies, but I agree with Gothamknight that they're also very heartfelt and sincere, which is something that imo you don't find in many superhero movies nowadays. At least, not to the trilogy's extent.

Absolutely. They're earnest to the core. I think it's a part of the charm.

I've said it before but I feel 3 got a bit too much of a bad rep back when it was released. It's not my favorite of the trilogy but that doesn't nesciarily mean its bad either. Just too much too juggle and behind the scenes issues. But over time, I've grown too appreciate it a lot more then I may have back in 07(and I just went back to dig up some of my old comments from this board to confirm lol). And I feel that the charm of the first 2 movies, is still present in the 3rd as well.

It is nice to see Spider-Man 3 get a bit reevaluated now that so many years have passed. A friend of mine crapped on the movie quite a bit after it came out, though he's a contrarian with everything, and I don't think he's ever got an opinion of his own. That being said, his tune changed once he saw TASM. and as the years go on, and comic book films have somewhat lost their originality (it's true, whether people want to admit it), S-M3 feels like a product of bygone era and I think it's only gotten better and more entertaining with age. I'll always be a fan of S-M3 despite some of it's flaws. Yes there's a lot going on, but we have to applaud Raimi for being able to juggle it as well as he did with all the studios pressure on his back to inject things into his story. Also, the dance stuff? It doesn't bother me. The whole point of that was to show how much of a fool Peter looks nice due to the symbiote.

I'd also argue Raimi made Eddie Brock a more interesting character too.

I always loved the dancing scenes in SM3 haha. I think Eddie Brock is great in SM3, really filling the anti-Peter Parker role nicely and being a good contrast for Peter's arc in the movie. Love how Venom looks in the movie too taking the dark reflection even further when he gets the symbiote, and people always like to refer to Venom as a dark Spider-Man so I think it's really cool. Even behind the scenes it's cool how much practical Venom stuff they tried to do and even in the end he's mostly practical with CGI enhancements, you just don't get stuff like that anymore where there's a healthy balance between the practical and the digital because there was a lot of consideration for craft.

I think at the time people were really disappointed in how small Venom's role was and held it against the movie a lot, but honestly like I said he fills his role in the story quite well and in the end isn't that what you want a movie to do with a character?

Also yeah years upon years of comic book movies in the years since these still stand out. Getting to see Tobey again I think makes SM3 being the end sit easier for me personally because while it's a bit of a somber low key end there's some comfort in having seen the character again and knowing things were alright. Getting a couple of Venom movies probably helped SM3's reappraisal as well so people get their fix finally. I think they're real enjoyable B-movies, they sure capture the feeling of 90s Venom comics with their goofiness and that's the Venom I like. We got creepy evil Venom in SM3!

As in Raimi Spider-Man 4 or MCU Spider-Man 4?

do-it-star-wars.gif

99% of the world population want this, just do it Sony!

Unfortunately, still not happening realistically speaking. That ship has sailed long ago.

That being said, I would not be opposed to him directing MCU Spider-Man 4 since Jon Watts is pretty much out and it's a somewhat fresh start for Peter's arc going forward, or even getting him to direct Secret Wars if it means directing all the Spider-Men, but especially Tobey one last time.

This song is very nostalgic to me...

For me the nostalgic song from this trilogy is Hero by Chad Kroeger. I fell in love with that song when I first heard it and I always tried to catch the music video on MTV just so that I could see all the different movie clips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"