• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Official PS4 Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I may... Um, I'll tell you the problem with Sony piggybacking the Oculus. It didn't require any discipline to attain it. They read what others had done and they took the next step. Sony didn't earn the knowledge for themselves so they dont take any responsibility for it. They stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as they could, and before you even knew what you had, they patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now here we are.

VR uhh finds a way.

tumblr_mhofti5EAi1rx9233o1_250.gif

He mixed his hate for Sony with Ian Malcolm from Jurassic Park.

Ian Malcolm just seemed to fit the story. Any and all interest in VR has been built by the Rift. So Sony trying to cash in before that team even gets to wouldn't sit well with me.

I still have no clue what you're trying to say...

Ian Malcolm is awesome.

I get that it's a JP quote, but I feel like I'm missing the context with the story.

I get that it's a JP quote, but I feel like I'm missing the context with the story.

He was just making a bad joke. Sony opted to not piggyback on the work Oculus has done with the Rift and instead start from scratch with their on VR device (rumored). He used the quote as a joke for why it was better for Sony to make their own device instead of taking what another company already built and using it for themselves.

Aren't the company behind Oculus Rift themselves missing a trick by not aiming at console players? That's a hell of a lot of realistic sales being ignored. I don't think pc & mobile is enough. I doubt Sony would have developed this if they could have reached a decent agreement with those guys.

so is Destiny going to be a launch title for PS4??

or at least something available by XMAS??

If I may... Um, I'll tell you the problem with Sony piggybacking the Oculus. It didn't require any discipline to attain it. They read what others had done and they took the next step. Sony didn't earn the knowledge for themselves so they dont take any responsibility for it. They stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as they could, and before you even knew what you had, they patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now here we are.

VR uhh finds a way.

Sounds like Kinect. Crap that has no use.

Unlike Kinect, the Oculus Rift has been creating a lot of positive buzz since people started getting their hands on it.

Ahh interesting. My point still stands about Kinect though lol. Interesting I shall look more into it! I was attempting humor mainly because Poetic seems to like everything MS does. And it just seems ironic that he rip on MS for that when MS really took the idea of the Eye Toy and shoved it in packaged it(mandatory) and it is pointless as hell.

MS is actually putting in an effort to support and advance motion technology. Much like the Oculus team is for VR. And with all the positive press they've established, all on their own, this just screams "me too." Their track record with peripheral support doesn't inspire confidence.

MS is actually putting in an effort to support and advance motion technology. Much like the Oculus team is for VR. And with all the positive press they've established, all on their own, this just screams "me too." Their track record with peripheral support doesn't inspire confidence.

I'd worry more about the X1's lesser technology and more expensive price point. They put an effort into a technology no one really wants. That's their problem. And still....they took the idea from Sony's PS Eye...from 2004.

I'd worry more about the X1's lesser technology and more expensive price point. They put an effort into a technology no one really wants. That's their problem. And still....they took the idea from Sony's PS Eye...from 2004.

A great idea is a great idea LOL

Looking forward to the Killzone, eye and second controller 499 bundle

I can see where Poetic Chaos is coming from, actually. At first I was pretty disappointed to hear this news considering people were saying that the PS4 might use Occulus Rift itself but now any potential for that relationship seems to be severed.

That said, Sony's been in this line of tech for a while - I remember Ken Kutaragi talking about using a prototype VR headset to play Gran Turismo 5 three or four years ago. And such products have been showing up at CES long before I'd heard of the OR.

The point is I like how with this kind of stuff it's not "required" or Sony's main focus. When MS creates something new "Kinect" they want everyone to use it and focus most of their resources on it. Whereas even with Move Sony made it, and said if you want it great and if devs want to use it great. To me again the tech if it takes off you can always buy it separate ect. To me that's how I would prefer it.

The point is I like how with this kind of stuff it's not "required" or Sony's main focus. When MS creates something new "Kinect" they want everyone to use it and focus most of their resources on it. Whereas even with Move Sony made it, and said if you want it great and if devs want to use it great. To me again the tech if it takes off you can always buy it separate ect. To me that's how I would prefer it.
Even Sony don't believe that! They were originally going to package the Eye with the PS4. They only changed that to press home the advantage while seeing feedback on all the anti Microsoft comments on compulsory Kinect, always online and no used games. And they're making Vita integration mandatory on PS4. They wouldn't be doing that if you were right about the "if devs want to use it great" strategy. Even popular peripherals like Kinect never get anywhere near 100% attachment (Kinect at about 33%) that making it a part of the system gets you. Kinect 2 will have so many units in consumer hands that it will definitely be worth it for a developer to develop for. Sony know and wanted the same thing for the Eye but in the end saw the feedback and decided to compete on price instead (even the controller has redundant LEDs now due to the late policy change). They need to make Vita integration mandatory in the same way as otherwise, many developers won't bother given the number that are in circulation at the moment.

Kinect sales were at 24m in Feb this year with 5m sold in the year prior to that. So that 'noone really wants' doesn't really fit.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/kinect-sales-reach-24-million-6403766

You remember how popular Snakes on a Plane was on the internet and then its box office numbers? Yeah, the vocal internet guys are a hardcore minority. Everyone seems to hate Kinects & wiis on gaming sites but that isn't reflected in sales figures.

Even Sony don't believe that! They were originally going to package the Eye with the PS4. They only changed that to press home the advantage while seeing feedback on all the anti Microsoft comments on compulsory Kinect, always online and no used games. And they're making Vita integration mandatory on PS4. They wouldn't be doing that if you were right about the "if devs want to use it great" strategy. Even popular peripherals like Kinect never get anywhere near 100% attachment (Kinect at about 33%) that making it a part of the system gets you. Kinect 2 will have so many units in consumer hands that it will definitely be worth it for a developer to develop for. Sony know and wanted the same thing for the Eye but in the end saw the feedback and decided to compete on price instead (even the controller has redundant LEDs now due to the late policy change). They need to make Vita integration mandatory in the same way as otherwise, many developers won't bother given the number that are in circulation at the moment.

Where is your link on that? Funny that it is still cheaper (the PS4 eye). And that is good that Sony is listening to feedback....that was my whole freaking point. They know their audiences don't want to buy a piece of hardware that really has no use for hardcore games right now. That's the whole point.

Kinect sales were at 24m in Feb this year with 5m sold in the year prior to that. So that 'noone really wants' doesn't really fit.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/kinect-sales-reach-24-million-6403766

You remember how popular Snakes on a Plane was on the internet and then its box office numbers? Yeah, the vocal internet guys are a hardcore minority. Everyone seems to hate Kinects & wiis on gaming sites but that isn't reflected in sales figures.

Yes but they could buy them seperatley if they wanted. And honestly I would like to see stats on how much time poeple spent on it. People bought it because of the "hype' of the whole thing. It seems now most dont' want it with the X1 hence why it got so much complaining. You do know that most the numbers of pre-orders of the PS4 (even in America where the 360 was once dominate) doubles the X1's?

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/251266/ps4-vs-xbox-one-pre-order-totals-to-august-24th-2013/

Kinect is great for the families that want it, and the kids that want to play those kind of games, there will be a market for it. But the majority of the gamers since there is what...85 million plus 360's and only 24 million Kinects? I think that shows that the majority of the people don't care/want it.

I love this vocal minority crap....lol I guess that vocal minority sure made MS change almost all of their policies in less than a month? Yea it's because we are a lot more then you think. Maybe in the future things like the Kinect will become much more useful but as of right now they are gimmicks. And to me should be "sold separate" and not the main focus of things.

So ya I'm not "against' the Kinect per se. I think if some love it go for it. But I think it's not necessary to have "forced" to buy. When the majority of games really don't need it/want it. Most the games we will be playing it will have no use. I don't like the fact that MS is continuously trying to make it mandatory. And they still are with the X1. I'm sure in time they will listen to this small "vocal minority" (which is far from minor most of the press is in agreeance with MS's blunders so it's not just some small fanboy thing. Many were and still are angry at what MS has done/is doing) and start selling X1's without the Kinect.

Last edited:
I'm not here to promote the X1. I just think Sony already has 2 underporforming peripherals they should be focusing on. A cheap knockoff on a major console is the last thing VR needs. The OR team has even said they refuse to be rushed to market even with overwhelmingly positive push from the press. Because they know if they don't nail it the first time it will be dubbed a gimmick and VR will be set back for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"