The Official PS4 Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because Sony is doing R&D on it does not mean it will come to pass. My point is Sony is smart with that kind of stuff. They see possible future technologies, do research, sometimes release it (PSEye, PS Move...hell even the Dual Shock which did catch on). You are acting like Sony is going to try to beat them to the punch. It is all in the air right now. It will be interesting to see what happens, but I don't think it's just some "race". And honestly the Vita is doing better now, and to me if something is not working don't keep trying to push it. And I think Sony has done that well enough. Give the consumer a choice if they want to buy it. In the end Sony is focusing on the PS4 as a gaming device first and foremost, and the rest is optional, and if it becomes the next big thing like Dual Shock did then it will become more integrated. It's not going to be some over-night type of ordeal. They will probably wait and see if the OR thing even catches on.

And my whole point is, I'm all for new technologies, if they truly do move things forward to a cetain degree. But to me so far Kinect/Move and many of the others have really failed to do so and as it stands right now in my eyes really won't do much in the near future. My point is Sony is not forcing these kind of things to be a part of the PS4 because they realize that most of us gamers just want games, not shovelware. And so far most of these games don't benefit greatly because of it. I think Sony's way of doing business is much better right now, and they clearly listened since their big hit where they were no longer "king" when the PS3 failed to keep Sony on top. They know they have to listen to their customers and what they want. And to me that's why I'm in love with the PS4 because really since 08 it's been Sony's reformed message. And the PS4 is continuing that.

Now if the OR thing does become a success and really is a new way of playing games beyond a gimmick, then I do hope Sony/MS finds a way to have a version on their consoles as well. But if it ends up being just that.. a gimmick I really don't wan it. And again I'm glad that so far Sony does not force those things on people per se.

Last edited:
Where is your link on that? Funny that it is still cheaper (the PS4 eye). And that is good that Sony is listening to feedback....that was my whole freaking point. They know their audiences don't want to buy a piece of hardware that really has no use for hardcore games right now. That's the whole point.

It was a major story. Just type “PS4 Vita mandatory required” into google and you’ll find an article from every gaming site on it. It’s cheaper because it is an inferior piece of technology (and that’s partly because Sony haven’t focused on it.. I’m not criticising it or them), even to the original Kinect. Noone disputes that, even ardent Sony fans. And if you look at your post that I was responding to, the point there (regarding developers rather than consumers) was that Sony makes products with the attitude to devs…if you want to use it..great (implying if not ..no prob). The Vita integration being mandatory proves that point wrong. But I agree with your new point that they are listening to feedback and that that is good.

Yes but they could buy them seperatley if they wanted. And honestly I would like to see stats on how much time poeple spent on it. People bought it because of the "hype' of the whole thing. It seems now most dont' want it with the X1 hence why it got so much complaining.
It’s possible that many who bought Kinect aren’t happy with it. Outside of hardcore gamers we don’t really know as they don’t come here to comment and many of Kinect’s buyers were more casual in nature. The technology of the original Kinect was not advanced enough to have much of a use to hardcore games so I agree it was not a success with these gamers. The new one is much improved though.

You do know that most the numbers of pre-orders of the PS4 (even in America where the 360 was once dominate) doubles the X1's?

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/251266/ps4-vs-xbox-one-pre-order-totals-to-august-24th-2013/
I know that PS4 is leading in preorders yes. (Btw that’s not a reliable website for sales). What’s your point? Are you saying the sales difference is due to mandatory Kinect 2 inclusion? If so I agree that a fair amount of sales will be lost to that as it pushes the price of the overall package up and towards the upper limit of the consumer comfort zone for a video game console. But that doesn’t mean there isn’t demand for Kinect outside of that if it were a cheap additional peripheral.

Kinect is great for the families that want it, and the kids that want to play those kind of games, there will be a market for it. But the majority of the gamers since there is what...85 million plus 360's and only 24 million Kinects? I think that shows that the majority of the people don't care/want it.
Maybe you don’t follow numbers for game peripherals. I can tell you that the above is a phenomenal attachment rate for a very expensive peripheral and this outstanding success is probably one of the main reasons why Microsoft are focusing on it so much for the new generation.

I love this vocal minority crap....lol I guess that vocal minority sure made MS change almost all of their policies in less than a month?
No they failed abjectly over quite a few months since the 1st always online rumours emerged. It was ONLY when the consoles went up for preorders to the wider general public that Microsoft changed their mind in about a week! The vocal minority have no power, it’s only on the rare instances when everyone else happens to agree that they end up looking like they might have been right.

Yea it's because we are a lot more then you think.
I don’t think about it, I look at the numbers. How many people view gaming websites daily? How many of those are vocal? (ie comment) How many consoles are sold worldwide? They ARE a TINY minority.

Maybe in the future things like the Kinect will become much more useful but as of right now they are gimmicks. And to me should be "sold separate" and not the main focus of things.

So ya I'm not "against' the Kinect per se. I think if some love it go for it. But I think it's not necessary to have "forced" to buy. When the majority of games really don't need it/want it. Most the games we will be playing it will have no use. I don't like the fact that MS is continuously trying to make it mandatory. And they still are with the X1. I'm sure in time they will listen to this small "vocal minority" (which is far from minor most of the press is in agreeance with MS's blunders so it's not just some small fanboy thing. Many were and still are angry at what MS has done/is doing) and start selling X1's without the Kinect.
The press aren’t part of the minority, they are independent and actually do have influence. When they all agree on something as well it DOES matter. In this case the press, the minority plus hordes of casual gamers who heard tidbits in the national press or through friends all agreed that they didn’t want these policies.

I don’t disagree with everything above though. This is the 1st time that Kinect is being sold as a compulsory part of the package. I think having it forced on us is a risk. A calculated risk that may backfire but probably one that is required for them to achieve what they are trying to do. I think Kinect 2 will be a vast improvement over the original and many are unaware of how good the voice technology is, which is very applicable to many kinds of hardcore game. It’s a technology that if developers decide to put good resources towards would surprise many and the only way to have a chance of getting those devs fully onboard is to include it with the console.

I don’t personally care if they don’t though. I’d rather the console was successful with or without Kinect support and a lower Kinect-less price would mean more sales.

Last edited:
Okay I will try to answer a lot of this. First VGCharts is not a perfect place, but they do get the ball park figures. And as you said, those numbers have great truth because MS sure did a song and dance of changing almost everything in a 180 after saying "It could not be done" (mainly from Nelson). The thing is though look at the Wii U. I agree that Kinect had a good attach rate, however, I think it was a gimmick. For the people I know that do have it (families) they hardly ever use it. I think the whole "get up and dance around and use your arms that the Wii/Kinect/Move tried to do" motion thing really is going by the way side now. It was a fad, and I think it is fading quickly. So I think we are in agreements on a lot of these aspects. I'm just trying to make myself more clear. Honestly just because something is successful...doesn't mean it's long term or...really good. I can look at a lot of movies and see that.

However, I will agree that to a point the vocal "minority" had no say. But the internet is powerful...don't ever deny that. Some try to say it's not when they feel it convenient. But honestly....the GA is not the one buying the initial run of new consoles....first adopters are mainly us....the hardcore gamers. And with the online phenomenon, what sells more at first has a tenancy to spread quicker. When later adopters come along usually they will look at what everyone else has...most friends of mine (including myself) bought the 360 because everyone else did and if you wanted to play online with everyone that is where you went. The same will probably happen with the PS4.

My point being, the small hardcore can have a trickle down/snowball effect. The GA does not watch E3,. Like you said the amount that actually go to these sites and so forth are minimal....but there is a reason the pre-orders are very skewed one way. Even GA friends of mine heard from peole like me the crap MS was pulling. The reason MS changed their mind after E3....was because there WAS NO PRE-ORDERS then. But again it's more of the hardcore community that had a huge outcry, press did as well, and the press reported our outcry. It has a snowball effect, and trust me if we were not complaining about it....the GA just would have bought it anyways. But due to our informing them and screaming I think really had a snowball effect and did cause a problem in the bottom line of pre-orders. And still is hurting MS's image right now.

Now I know it sounds wierd, but ya I can agree that at times the internet geeks like us don't have as strong as a voice as we think we do. But there are times where it rises up and causes change, it's just not blatant change or do they admit to it being the problem. Actually I think companies now listen to us a little more because of social media, me and many of my friends who have hundreds of friends each on Facebook complained about it, so word spreads now even if it's a small amount at first. Us informing everyone about what MS was doing during those weeks helped significantly for the eventual turnaround of what MS did.

But most of the press was talking about US. If you look at alot of the articles, and podcasts they always talked about how pissed we were about MS's policies. So in turn yes we did help the influence. But I know you agree with this I'm just trying to spell it out where yes the minority can have a big voice with social media in today's world. However I do agree that yes sometimes the small minority complains about irrelevant things that really never catch on. But with instances like this we do have a big voice and MS learned that.

But about the price thing. To me the price thing is not as a big of deal as it is to others. Because I was fine with the price of the PS3 though I know it really hurt it during launch. However I remember many Xbox fans talking about how important it was (prior to all the announcements) of getting the price right and Sony better not screw up again....and now I almost see none of you really complain about the price. I'm not saying you personally but more so a lot of hardcore Xbox fans. They act now like it's not a big deal...when they made it such a big deal during the PS3's run. How do you feel about it?

I wonder how dynamic backgrounds/regular wallpapers and avatar pics will look like or IF they will even return cause of the new UI,So far they've only shown social media profile pics as avatar photos and the default blue background

I dont care but some might find this dissapointing. The PS4 can only support 4 controllers at once

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/04/playstation-4-to-support-four-controllers-at-once

Wonder what that means for Move stuff bc if you have a Move/Navigation, that counts as two controllers right there, effectively only allowing 2 people play in games that support that

Eh, I had a second controller for my 360 and PS3, and it barely got used. Split-screen is slowly dwindling away. 4 is a fine number for just about every game, the X1's eight is kind of overkill.

Yeah, I get confused with 4 let alone 8.. My son occasionally plays with me. Maybe something like Knack, but mmy wife has zero desire to play games and all my friends live miles away, plus I've never been into couch co-op.. So.. No biggie.

Ya very few use split screen anymore. Most would rather play online.

so whenever the PS4 comes out, will the PS3's be cut down in price for a new one? I still haven't owned on yet.

Only time we've ever needed 4 controllers was GoldenEye on the N64...

Not Mario Kart or Super Smash Bros for the N64?

I think the N64's the only system in I ever actually needed four controllers too.

Oh yeah... Mario Kart also.

Honestly, the only time we use my 'backup controller' is when a friend comes over and we basically play Tiger Woods/NHL while drinking.

so whenever the PS4 comes out, will the PS3's be cut down in price for a new one? I still haven't owned on yet.
they already dropped the price 2 weeks ago around Gamescom. The previous Uncharted 3 GOTY 250gb bundle which was once $269, now retails for $249 with a year of plus ($50). The upcoming GTA V 500gb bundle retails for $269 whereas the previous 500gbs were $299. And of course the 12gb was just released at $199

I would say the GTA V bundle is the best value. For $20 more than the UC3 bundle, you get a new $60 game and 250gb extra to work with. The 12gb at $199 looks like a good price but most will likely need to upgrade that HDD which would put you at the same costs as the bundles anyway

Okay I will try to answer a lot of this. First VGCharts is not a perfect place, but they do get the ball park figures. And as you said, those numbers have great truth because MS sure did a song and dance of changing almost everything in a 180 after saying "It could not be done" (mainly from Nelson). The thing is though look at the Wii U. I agree that Kinect had a good attach rate, however, I think it was a gimmick. For the people I know that do have it (families) they hardly ever use it. I think the whole "get up and dance around and use your arms that the Wii/Kinect/Move tried to do" motion thing really is going by the way side now. It was a fad, and I think it is fading quickly. So I think we are in agreements on a lot of these aspects. I'm just trying to make myself more clear. Honestly just because something is successful...doesn't mean it's long term or...really good. I can look at a lot of movies and see that.
Yes Microsoft didn’t take notice that the views were ridiculously one-sided and they really should have changed their policies before E3. Major Nelson saying it could not be done was plain stupid although it was a reaction when he was annoyed rather than a thought out premeditated lie. And I agree on the wii aspects of the Kinect. The sudden explosion of motion control was a fad that has somewhat died like 3D on films, both technologies that were underdeveloped for their time and vastly overpromoted.

But I've used both the Kinect and wiimote a lot (in the 1st year) and there is much more untapped potential in the Kinect. Most people don’t know how good the voice commands are and this is the part that is applicable to improving any squad based games, RTS, or games with AI of any sort. Most are also unaware of the huge improvements of Kinect 2 and when/if technology reaches the point one day where what you do is instantly and accurately reflected on screen this fad might see a revival, particularly if an Oculus Rift type device catches on and can be used in conjunction with it. And I agree something being a flash in the pan success is great but doesn’t mean the future is rosy for that product.

However, I will agree that to a point the vocal "minority" had no say. But the internet is powerful...don't ever deny that. Some try to say it's not when they feel it convenient. But honestly....the GA is not the one buying the initial run of new consoles....first adopters are mainly us....the hardcore gamers. And with the online phenomenon, what sells more at first has a tenancy to spread quicker. When later adopters come along usually they will look at what everyone else has...most friends of mine (including myself) bought the 360 because everyone else did and if you wanted to play online with everyone that is where you went. The same will probably happen with the PS4.
My point being, the small hardcore can have a trickle down/snowball effect. The GA does not watch E3,. Like you said the amount that actually go to these sites and so forth are minimal....but there is a reason the pre-orders are very skewed one way. Even GA friends of mine heard from peole like me the crap MS was pulling. The reason MS changed their mind after E3....was because there WAS NO PRE-ORDERS then. But again it's more of the hardcore community that had a huge outcry, press did as well, and the press reported our outcry. It has a snowball effect, and trust me if we were not complaining about it....the GA just would have bought it anyways. But due to our informing them and screaming I think really had a snowball effect and did cause a problem in the bottom line of pre-orders. And still is hurting MS's image right now.
I wouldn’t (& didn’t :cwink:). The internet as a whole is very powerful, sure. And what you say is true to an extent. I think the national press though, rather than the gaming press and idiotic article commenters, are much more important and they haven’t unified over issues like this very often. When I saw similar articles in ‘The Sun’ to those on IGN I thought that right there has changed a couple of million minds!

Preorders were totally skewed towards PS4. They’ve since pretty much sold out. Microsoft on the other hand have not only reversed nearly every negative policy, they’ve come out with good news nearly every week since and have caught up a lot. Many 360 guys had decided to convert to PS4 but now a lot of those have come back. PS4 is still ahead at this stage prety much everywhere but the gap is not as big any more.

360 definitely had that trickle down effect due to the online experience. But that online experience and friend network is what keeps a lot of those players with Xbox, unless the whole group of friends decide to move, some of which did. This doesn’t affect gamers who mainly play single player or don’t join XBL parties nearly every time they game. That friend network is more important than single player exclusives to many and didn’t get the chance to grow on PS3 because of lack of cross game party chat.

Back to your point though, the trickle down effect definitely was in effect here with the MS policies but I think it was a much broader movement and not only instigated by the hardcore but the press itself which can shape opinions a lot quicker when the casual gamer is looking for a legitimate opinion (even many of them will expect an owner of a particular console to give him/her biased information while they trust (correctly or not) anything in print or from a well known site, especially a non gaming site or at least one that isn't affiliated to a particular company.

Now I know it sounds wierd, but ya I can agree that at times the internet geeks like us don't have as strong as a voice as we think we do. But there are times where it rises up and causes change, it's just not blatant change or do they admit to it being the problem. Actually I think companies now listen to us a little more because of social media, me and many of my friends who have hundreds of friends each on Facebook complained about it, so word spreads now even if it's a small amount at first. Us informing everyone about what MS was doing during those weeks helped significantly for the eventual turnaround of what MS did.
But most of the press was talking about US. If you look at alot of the articles, and podcasts they always talked about how pissed we were about MS's policies. So in turn yes we did help the influence. But I know you agree with this I'm just trying to spell it out where yes the minority can have a big voice with social media in today's world. However I do agree that yes sometimes the small minority complains about irrelevant things that really never catch on. But with instances like this we do have a big voice and MS learned that.
When it’s loads of casual people talking about it on facebook and general social networks the effect can be huge and snowball but the obviously biased gaming site games article commenters from Sony, Xbox & PC are who I’m talking about. I’m not including even the likes of people on websites like SHH who can generally think for themselves and don’t react in exactly the same way whatever the news of the article. The hardcore minority are incapable of changing any of their views no matter what news comes out. But when the press agrees, the hordes of casuals see tidbits of info from them that push their opinion one way and the hardcore gamers outside of the idiot commenters also decide not to preorder... then things have to change & fast!

But about the price thing. To me the price thing is not as a big of deal as it is to others. Because I was fine with the price of the PS3 though I know it really hurt it during launch. However I remember many Xbox fans talking about how important it was (prior to all the announcements) of getting the price right and Sony better not screw up again....and now I almost see none of you really complain about the price. I'm not saying you personally but more so a lot of hardcore Xbox fans. They act now like it's not a big deal...when they made it such a big deal during the PS3's run. How do you feel about it?
I’m in the same boat as you in that I don’t care about the price for myself. This is a product I’ll be using for up to 10 years and I’ll be using it so much the real value of it to me is probably over £1000. I only care about price in that I don’t want my primary console to price itself out of the market like my PS3 did and put its own future unnecessarily into jeopardy. I thought many of those who complained about the PS3 price were Sony guys though who were also pissed off at their attitude of ‘work more hours to earn it’.

And you’re talking about fanboy commenters and most people would acknowledge that 360 had the very worst & most immature of those all these years (a couple of them have even made their way to the Hype & been quickly banned). They’ve died down to an extent though as the 360 has given up much of its lead last gen and the XB1 policies became known and the new Sony commenters that have risen up recently are every bit as bad (although less immature). It’s disgusting to me as Sony fans were never like this in the past and used to have a superior ‘live & let live’ community. During the PS1 era most games fans I encountered were almost like brothers just all glad at the massive innovation & technological progress taking place in their entertainment industry of choice. I guess they were less fanboyish as the PS was the 1st console without much history and there was no real competition. Also seemed to be older on average than with the previous Nintendo consoles but don’t know for sure how true that is.

The commentary on all articles in recent months has been completely dismissive of even very positive news on XB1 and the same thing gets announced for Sony and there’s no criticism and suddenly that negative thing is now relevant. Luckily on the Hype we don’t attract these idiots.

But to answer your point, I don’t care about the price myself but I acknowledge it as both high, risky and something that any opportunist XBots who were complaining during the PS3 launch should also be complaining about now for XB1.

Last edited:
I dont care but some might find this dissapointing. The PS4 can only support 4 controllers at once

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/04/playstation-4-to-support-four-controllers-at-once

Wonder what that means for Move stuff bc if you have a Move/Navigation, that counts as two controllers right there, effectively only allowing 2 people play in games that support that
More than 4 is required once in a blue moon nowadays. I mean it's nice to have but not a priority in any way. I have multiple consoles, TVs and gamer profiles set up in case guests want to do a big group game and it's a hell of a lot better than 8 player split screen could ever be. The only way this could work is if one XB1 could transmit to more than one output device but I doubt that's possible.

only supporting 4 controllers doesn't really bother me, cuz I game by myself......lol

have they said anything about how/if the PS4 will counter overheating??

have they also said anything about how quiet/loud the PS4 will be?

Yes. The average temperature will be a lot lower than PS3 but I've forgotten the specifics on how they are managing that.

Yes. The average temperature will be a lot lower than PS3 but I've forgotten the specifics on how they are managing that.

cool!! ( and yes, pun intended.....lol )

And you’re talking about fanboy commenters and most people would acknowledge that 360 had the very worst & most immature of those all these years (a couple of them have even made their way to the Hype & been quickly banned). They’ve died down to an extent though as the 360 has given up much of its lead last gen and the XB1 policies became known and the new Sony commenters that have risen up recently are every bit as bad (although less immature). It’s disgusting to me as Sony fans were never like this in the past and used to have a superior ‘live & let live’ community. During the PS1 era most games fans I encountered were almost like brothers just all glad at the massive innovation & technological progress taking place in their entertainment industry of choice. I guess they were less fanboyish as the PS was the 1st console without much history and there was no real competition. Also seemed to be older on average than with the previous Nintendo consoles but don’t know for sure how true that is.

The commentary on all articles in recent months has been completely dismissive of even very positive news on XB1 and the same thing gets announced for Sony and there’s no criticism and suddenly that negative thing is now relevant. Luckily on the Hype we don’t attract these idiots.

But to answer your point, I don’t care about the price myself but I acknowledge it as both high, risky and something that any opportunist XBots who were complaining during the PS3 launch should also be complaining about now for XB1.

Well it's completely ironic. Because during the PS3, if Sony did a little something the press/fanboys would go all over it. IGN covered up a lot of the RROD problems, as did the entire press which was a huge ordeal. So it seems the tables have turned. But I think Sony has done way better, in almost every way. And they will continue to do so. MS as a whole company I really don't care for, the way they have done business over the past 20 years eh. I originally loved the first X-Box, but then they changed a lot of their goals and I've been skeptical about them since.

The problem is the positive news is really just them getting rid of the terrible things that so many fanboys including tons on the Hype Xbox area were fine with. Then when they got rid of them they acted like "Oh ya I guess that's cool" after praising them for doing so. Sony has better in house studios, and seems to be out for blood in making sure they get some good deals with third party devs ect.

But I agree with a lot of what you are saying. But the last part, to me it's almost humorous because for years the press/Xbox fans (EGM's famous cover of throwing tomatoes at the PS3) ripped on Sony to no end. And now it seems the shoe is on the other foot and they don't like it all of a sudden.

But on to PS4 stuff, I have my console a few games/an extra controller, DVD remote and vertical stand on my list of things I will get launch day.

Features

Hands-on with the PS4

Marissa gets her hands on the PlayStation 4 for an early look at the new console.

Source:EPD>TV/ROTR

OK, that has me all kinds of excited! I had no idea that we would be able to get the PS4 version of a game just by inserting the PS3 game into the PS4 console, and paying the $10. I thought that we would have to go to Gamestop or another retailer to do that. I wonder if the XBONE will do the same thing? I highly doubt it.

One thing I talked about before these consoles were released is I'm glad they are dumping the multiple SKU's at launch thing. (Not including bundles). I always hated with the 360 and PS3 at launch you had the multiple SKU's and the Wii U did the same thing to. I am just glad it's back to one solid SKU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"