The Official PS4 Thread - Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am surprised that piping your own music into games hasn't become more of a thing.

so, I have a feeling we'll see the new update by the end of Oct. or early Nov.

they said they wanted us to have the big update in time for the big games coming out in the next few months. with all the big names coming out in early-mid Nov., I think we will get the update before then.

just hope they throw in a video player, too. ;)

They will but it may be a little longer. But they are working on it. This is from Scott McCarthy from SCEA.

"This is a personal 'must have' for me as well. I will say that DLNA will be great when it arrives". He further clarified:

"We look at all media apps and other features but we also look at how people are using the PS4 and how can we make that experience better for our gamers. Sometimes this means leaving cakes in the oven a little longer…"

http://www.gamepur.com/news/16615-s...-date-why-still-no-dlnavideo-player-more.html

Seems to me that they are able to handle it but are simply choosing to bring out stuff that enchances a gaming experience and focusing on gamers first. USB music playing during gaming somewhat enhances gaming in a way but personal pictures and videos is just a media/non-gaming thing.

Why is videos&pictures from a media playback such a big deal when you can do that on any other device? You buy a new video game console but a big focus or deal breaker for you is you can see a picture or video of yourself or whatever on TV via the console? Able to set a personal picture as a background wallpaper I can understand and I want that myself but I'm confused on how the rest is a factor as gamer.

Youtube is coming and that's all I need for media

Seems to me that they are able to handle it but are simply choosing to bring out stuff that enchances a gaming experience and focusing on gamers first. USB music playing during gaming somewhat enhances gaming in a way but personal pictures and videos is just a media/non-gaming thing.
That would have been cool and dandy had they been more proactive about bringing on features that enhance the gaming experience. You know, like stuff they mentioned before launch like the pause/play feature or BT headset support. Then there's stuff like the share/play feature which has seemingly been taking forever to be implemented. The PS4 has had several updates since launch, most of which have been stability improved, with little actual enhancing the "gaming experience"

Why is videos&pictures from a media playback such a big deal when you can do that on any other device? You buy a new video game console but a big focus or deal breaker for you is you can see a picture or video of yourself or whatever on TV via the console? Able to set a personal picture as a background wallpaper I can understand and I want that myself but I'm confused on how the rest is a factor as gamer.

Youtube is coming and that's all I need for media
I feel like this has been answered to death but here it goes again anyway. Bc the PS4 has been lacking in the gaming department all year. As a gamer, it really hasnt been completely satisfying as honestly have barely used it outside of a few releases I can count on one hand. Crazy as it sounds, the media functionality really excites me and it was one of my early draws to the PS3. With lack of compelling games, media playback would have definitely made me use it more. Im upset with myself bc I chose not to get a SmartTV last year bc the rationale was that the PS4 would eventually be able to do all of that stuff, yet a year later, its barely made any progress. (I was hoping for it by end of spring).

And why not? Id prefer to have these features consolidated into one device. My PS3 is the only device that I have connected to my TV capable of that stuff so its my choice by default. It has its limitations mainly due to the system's memory so I welcome the day that the PS4 brings on media functionality. The lack of an official BT remote also makes me less apt to use the PS4 and go to the PS3 for all media playback. I plan to eventually move on from my PS3, but without media functionality on the PS4, its hard to completely jump all in with it

And while USB music is a step in the right direction, it still feels subpar of whats expected. Considering the system only has 2 USB slots, its puzzling why they arent letting us import files to the HDD. For anyone that uses the camera, headset, control charging, etc... you are easily already maxxed out. And considering these files are running off of a USB drive instead of the HDD, I doubt we'll be able to create and save custom soundtracks, so it'll likely be something that will need to be done each time

Last edited:
agreed, Havok.

for some of us, we simply want to consolidate all of our media playback onto one device. sure, games should be the primary focus. but being able to easily play and enjoy ( or even store ) our other media files on the console adds extra value.

like Havok, I'd use my PS4 way more if it had the media playback capability the PS3 has.

right now, the X1 is stronger in this department than the PS4. and if Update 2.0 is only going to bring USB music playback, with video, pictures, and other files coming "soon" in some undisclosed future update, then that just might be the push to drive me towards the X1 by the end of year ( or early next year ).

plus, the X1 seems to have a better browsing experience with IE. and it has all the Snap and multitasking features which the PS4 lacks.

Media playback should have been part of the PS4 from day 1. there's no excuse for a more powerful system (PS4) to lack the media functions the PS3 had.

and now, almost a full year later, they only add music playback? if that's indeed the case, that's extremely frustrating. it's like Sony is just adding the "bare minimum" to appease fans who have been asking for media playback.

edit: and yeah, the fact the PS4 only has 2 USB slots ( with none in the back ) is also somewhat limiting. yes, you can attach a USB hub to add more slots, but they should have put at least one USB slot in the back.

Yes, many want those features, but they have said they will be coming.

Just hold on to your other console for now, most are anyways because both the next gen consoles have not even started going full boar into next gen gaming. Still.....the core of this whole system is gaming. I understand the desire, I will want it eventually too. But I'm still using my PS3, many games still out on it. But X Knight you act as if this is all you use your system for. Yes we understand you want media playback etc.

You don't seem to be a gamer at all on this forum because you spend 99.9% of your time talking about media playback. Because yes it is nice to have these features (WHICH THEY SAID THEY WILL GET) but do you not care about the strength of the PS4 as a gaming system? And all the exclusives they will have with their in house companies. Even starting with great games like Bloodborne? Are you that desperate for media play back you will throw away a gaming system?

Yes, many want those features, but they have said they will be coming.

Just hold on to your other console for now, most are anyways because both the next gen consoles have not even started going full boar into next gen gaming. Still.....the core of this whole system is gaming. I understand the desire, I will want it eventually too. But I'm still using my PS3, many games still out on it. But X Knight you act as if this is all you use your system for. Yes we understand you want media playback etc.

You don't seem to be a gamer at all on this forum because you spend 99.9% of your time talking about media playback. Because yes it is nice to have these features (WHICH THEY SAID THEY WILL GET) but do you not care about the strength of the PS4 as a gaming system? And all the exclusives they will have with their in house companies. Even starting with great games like Bloodborne? Are you that desperate for media play back you will throw away a gaming system?

well, I never said I'm getting rid of my PS4. I'm just very close to getting an X1 in the near future ( and looking to make that my primary console if I like it ).

I am getting ready to trade in my PS3 and 360, because I've hardly used them in the last half year. so, going to get as much trade in for them to use towards the X1.

I am a gamer. but, I would say I'm much more of a casual gamer these days - so stuff like media playback is important to me. I want my game console to do more than just play games. and right now, the X1 looks to offer more of the "multifunctionality" that I want, even if it may not be as powerful as the PS4.

and, as I said before, the USB Music playback is a nice first step. I'm glad they're finally adding it. And, I know the other things are coming, but Sony sure is taking their time to implement something that should be relatively simple. and that's what makes it especially frustrating.

Last edited:
Ya, and I'm sure they will do it somewhat soon. I mean I too want a controller for it etc. But right now I"m all about the games. The other things are nice features, but to me it's a gaming system first no matter what.

Ya, and I'm sure they will do it somewhat soon. I mean I too want a controller for it etc. But right now I"m all about the games. The other things are nice features, but to me it's a gaming system first no matter what.

and I don't necessarily disagree with that.

hopefully they'll add the other stuff sooner rather than later.

That will definitely change with the 2015 releases but in year one, the only game Ive loved on the PS4 was AC IV and that was on the PS3 as well. Killzone, Need for Speed, Infamous, and Watch Dogs were all disapointments. I liked Infamous, but it wasn't a must play experience. I cant say the PS4 has been all about the gaming for me bc there wasn't much compelling. I think adding more features would have at least distracted from how barren things were

I hope the update allows us to delete stuff from the library,Currently we can't delete stuff we have had before but deleted them such as old games and apps that it makes the whole screen a mess.

I used to be craving the media playback stuff on the PS4 but I haven't really missed it that much anymore. The only thing I think is truly missing is the music playback which looks like it's coming now and uploading photos so I can customize my own wallpaper. If they add DLNA support then maybe that will please some but I stopped transferring movies over to my PS3 as I grew tired of it :funny:, but that's just me of course. I was fortunate enough to upgrade my PC last year with a much nicer monitor too so I can probably say that added to my indifference on mp4 playback on PS4. I'd welcome DLNA support but I'm not losing any sleep over it.

It's funny how the roles have reversed now in that in the beginning of last-gen PS3 was being marketed as a multimedia device and got sh** for it while the 360 was strictly a gaming console and was praised. Now it's the opposite and the flak is still coming. Granted, the times and technology has changed but it's still amusing to a certain degree.

I've had a lot of games to enjoy on the PS4 and it's pretty surprising to read some people here say it's lacking in that department. Is this an issue because of delayed games that were pushed back or because they probably just bought their system a year too early? The PS4 is 11 months in and I've been quite happy with it. I've been very impressed with the hardware and features, and the new features coming in sound even better. There was a slight drought of games I think earlier this year but I've still had plenty to play.

My favorite games so far have been inFamous SS, Tomb Raider DE, Resogun, NFS Rivals, Outlast, Wolfenstein, Driveclub I'm really liking right now. I enjoyed KIllzone but didn't LOVE it, the only true disappointment for me. I tried and loved Middle-earth recently at work and will get it soon. I also have AC IV waiting for me at home today since I got it on sale a couple days ago. There's several other games I'm hoping to get soon that are available now but I can't drop the $ for them now. I'm fine with clearing my backlog of games though :) Even PS3 has a stack of games I need to play :hehe: (combined with all the freebies as well)

I think inFamous is the best game on the system and I agree that it's a bit short, but I'm sure if it was sold a little cheaper at launch people wouldn't have an issue. I think that game is amazing and a lot of fun.

I'm working at EA right now which unfortunately means that I game all day and so it sometimes takes the fun out of gaming at home :funny:. Some days the last thing I want to do when I get home is pick up a video game controller :lmao: So my backlog is unfortunately piling up even more on me. I'd like a 6 month gaming sabbatical to enjoy all of my games in peace with gorgeous women surrounding me feeding me strawberries and grapes. Yes, the life.

That will definitely change with the 2015 releases but in year one, the only game Ive loved on the PS4 was AC IV and that was on the PS3 as well. Killzone, Need for Speed, Infamous, and Watch Dogs were all disapointments. I liked Infamous, but it wasn't a must play experience. I cant say the PS4 has been all about the gaming for me bc there wasn't much compelling. I think adding more features would have at least distracted from how barren things were

That's almost with every launch however. Even more so now with publishers being money hungry and stretching things out with cross-platform and not taking the leap. I have not myself been blown away by any of the "pure" next gen game selection yet. But that seems to be changing in the next few months. From LBP3, to Bloodborne, The Witcher III etc. But I remember it took a year pretty much for the PS3 and PS2, heck I remember even with the PS1 until we started getting games. It's a natural part of the cycle that I fully expected.

I admit, I probably did get the PS4 "a year too early." especially now that I'm considering getting an X1 this year ( or early next ).

My main reason for getting a PS4 last Xmas was in anticipation of a game like DAI. which was supposed to come out earlier this month.

but that got pushed back to Nov. and, my interest in the game has cooled somewhat in recent weeks.

The only multimedia thing I really care about is maybe putting pictures on there to use as a wallpaper. I didn't use the music capabilities too much on my 360 or ps3. And I have plenty of other devices to listen to music from.

what I liked on the PS3, and the main reason why it became my preferred console over the 360, is that I could actually store my media files on the hdd. be it music, videos, or pictures.

I could easily use my own picture and set it as my wallpaper.

I could stick in a CD and burn the tracks to my hdd.

it was simple, easy, and convenient, and I could enjoy my media files on my big screen tv.

I'm really hoping that someday (soon), the PS4 will be able to do all that.

Last edited:
I assume though they don't want to do that, so that they can get you to pay them for some sort of streaming app.

well, they are adding a USB Music Player, so at least that's a first step.

and on the bright side, at least this means they are getting the ball rolling on adding media features.

so.......it should all come in time. soon. hopefully.

That's almost with every launch however. Even more so now with publishers being money hungry and stretching things out with cross-platform and not taking the leap. I have not myself been blown away by any of the "pure" next gen game selection yet. But that seems to be changing in the next few months. From LBP3, to Bloodborne, The Witcher III etc. But I remember it took a year pretty much for the PS3 and PS2, heck I remember even with the PS1 until we started getting games. It's a natural part of the cycle that I fully expected.

Yep. I tried telling people this when they were complaining about the lack of games, but it seems no one really knows or understands it. Even without cross-gen, the first year or so of console launches are often littered with weak titles that are usually forgotten. I swear, despite people saying they've been gaming forever, it feels like people just regress to totally new gamers at console launches, surprised and confused at the exact same thing they (presumably) experienced time and time before.

I assume though they don't want to do that, so that they can get you to pay them for some sort of streaming app.

MS has Xbox Music, but they still added those feature. I don't think it's an either/or mindset, honestly.

Yep. I tried telling people this when they were complaining about the lack of games, but it seems no one really knows or understands it. Even without cross-gen, the first year or so of console launches are often littered with weak titles that are usually forgotten. I swear, despite people saying they've been gaming forever, it feels like people just regress to totally new gamers at console launches, surprised and confused at the exact same thing they (presumably) experienced time and time before.

100% agree with you Tron. I just don't get it? This is always the case with new consoles, the first year is usually bleh at best. The SNES had some good stuff in it's first year, but games were easier and quicker to make. But since the PSOne era...the 5th Generation I believe, there has always been that weak year. I remember playing Vagrant Story and FFIX on my PSOne/PS2 BC because there was nothing huge out until a year later.

I don't get why some act "shocked' that after quite a few launches like this we don't get anything for a while.

No one is acting shocked or pretending that this is a surprise. Expressing the facts of the situation doesn't equate to that

the launch years of new consoles are usually lean.

this year, at least, you can't complain about the lineup of games available for either console.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"