The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread part 2!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Return leg for Utd is now a potential banana skin. :csad: Hopefully it turns out to be one of those great Euro nights. Or just a scrappy 1-0 win will do!

Yeah but why do the players have to stand there and listen to it like it's the Earth's National Anthem.
It's the anthem of the tournament & it's part of the feeling that you're playing at a different level of football, the highest IMO. Good for the players involved to hear it & appreciate their privileged position & for others to aspire to play in that competition. Taking it away now would be like taking the music from Star Wars...actually no it wouldn't. :woot: If the tune hadn't been as good as (I think) it is, I would probably have had the same objections. Hope that explains it a bit.

What a crappy performance but I take 0-0 draw and finish them off at Old Trafford,

Personally, I've not been overly convinced with Rodwell's ability to warrent investing such a high fee that Everton would want for him. Hes obviously young as you said & can improve, but isn't that true of alot of 19 year old players?

I think the raw materials are greater with Rodwell than most others though.

If you're paying £25m+ he should pretty much already be on his way to being a player.. in my opinion anyway.

That's a fair point, the market is tricky these days though and sometimes you have to go with it.

Rooney was an exception to this rule, for me anyway, because he simply looked lightyears ahead of any other 18 year old striker at our club or in the Premiership.. I'm not so sure if Rodwell looks lightyears ahead of any other 20/21 year old in the Premiership..

Rooney is a forward though and it's much easier to shine at that age in that role. CM is perhaps the most difficult role to play at first. Now in fairness Rodwell does not look as good as Wilshire if we want to find a midfield comparison, but Wilshire is the exception IMO.

His passing ability is what annoys me, he doesn't get into games enough & isn't accurate enough with his passes.. even worse than Anderson.. who to be fair has looked a good bit better, distribution wise since his return.

Gibson wasn't very good tonight again but sadly he was the best of the 3 we had on.

True, Pastore does look like he could well be a star of someones midfield.. hes not exactly a Scholes like central midfielder though is he.. as you said before I'm kinda finding a hard time thinking of how/where we could use him & really take full advantage of his ability.

We are the only top team that constantly switches formations as Fergie refuses to change full time to 4-2-3-1 Like the bulk of top teams play, that is the formation Pastore would work in but I don't know what we'd do with him in 4-4-2.

Di Maria is odd to watch in a Real Madrid shirt, if Ronaldo cuts inside & scalps one goalwards from 30 yards, you can bet your house that inside the next 15 minutes Di Maria will try the same thing. It's like hes trying to outdo Ronaldo..

Yeah he suffers from the same wannabe Ronaldo syndrome Nani used to have.

Smalling looks like hes gonna be not only the future of Manchester United, but also England. Him & Wilshere if recent performances are to go on.
He was excellent again tonight, looking like a real bargain at £10M. :up:

that was absolute ****e. seriously once again no finishing product. the ref had no balls what so ever and carrick can go to hell.

i wonder if he knows that you can go forward WITHOUT going to the keeper first

I'm with you man, that midfield trio tonight had me pulling my hair out, it's so bland, lacks a leader and a creator, we needed to bring 36 year old Scholes on to find some friggin tempo and direction from the center.

The result isn't terrible and I don't think Marseille offer a lot of cutting edge, but the away goal rule could end up biting us in the ass.

F'n Stoke *****, I knew it would be too much to ask for us to come through the match unscathed.

Wait, he only got a yellow for that? My God.

Yep. Not heard anything yet, so don't know the severity.

Yep, I would have got back up and given him a good old slap on the chops.

Bad tackle?

Poor lad was probably too winded to even get up for a bit, and the ref only booked the thug. :whatever:

F'n Stoke *****, I knew it would be too much to ask for us to come through the match unscathed.

In fairness mate the Walcott injury was abit of a freak injury, Whitehead didn't actually do much wrong.

Yeah i dont think you can blame Stoke for Walcots injury...

What happened?

United match was and awful game. As painfully dull as our own European exploits last week. Marseille looked to try and give a bit of hassle but they won't be good enough to get anything at old Trafford.

Hoping we do the business tonight early kick off

In fairness mate the Walcott injury was abit of a freak injury, Whitehead didn't actually do much wrong.

Yeah i dont think you can blame Stoke for Walcots injury...

I meant it in general overall terms dude. The first half we we're basically bossing the game. It was as if we were playing against cardboard cut-outs and they couldn't get a touch of the ball. Then come the second half they resorted to those aggressive tactics to break up our play and try and put our players off. Although the severity of our injuries weren't as bad as they have been, the wrecklessness was certainly there.

While I may have over-exaggerated with my previous comment, I guess it comes from my disdain for Stoke City and the way in which they 'apparently' play football.

Bad tackle?

Poor lad was probably too winded to even get up for a bit, and the ref only booked the thug. :whatever:

Nah, he pulled it, I believe.

Yeah, though I won't say too much otherwise I'll probably start exaggerating.

I wouldn't mind at all if we could loan Lorik Cana for two matches a season against Stoke.

Barca slam "immoral" Arsenal over Toral

This coming from the same people who have been talking about it only being a matter of time for Cesc to go back to Barca when he's under contract with another club. Barcelona gives me more fuel everyday to hate them.:o

I dint like the way barca conduct themselves but wasn't the initial signing of fabregas by arsenal completely unfair on barca as it sort of exploited a loop hole? Same way we got dani Pacheco from them

Damn, Walcott can't stay fit for 2 weeks!

Liverpool 0-0 at half time. Still no goals in the tie. C'mon guys it's Anfield.. make it happen!

I think the raw materials are greater with Rodwell than most others though.

That's a fair point, the market is tricky these days though and sometimes you have to go with it.

Personally, I'd rather risk trying to buy 3 foreign £10m 'potentials' rather than pay £30m for a player simply because hes English. I'd think that there should be some sort of premium because of the fact he is English, that being said this deal & the one Liverpool got for Andy Carroll makes it seem like clubs are taking the piss..

Rooney is a forward though and it's much easier to shine at that age in that role. CM is perhaps the most difficult role to play at first. Now in fairness Rodwell does not look as good as Wilshire if we want to find a midfield comparison, but Wilshire is the exception IMO.

Not so sure, I mean I kinda agree with what your saying that if a striker is banging in goals left right & centre it would obviously get him noticed a more, however if your putting on consistant dominant midfield, defensive or goalkeeping performances you'd get recognition & noticed just as well I feel.

Gibson wasn't very good tonight again but sadly he was the best of the 3 we had on.

Do you see IF, and it is a very big IF at that, IF Gibson improved his passing ability & his attacking/off the ball movement was a little better he could play like/a similar role for us that Lampard does/did for Chelsea.

That being said he just doesn't look like he will be a success for us long term..

We are the only top team that constantly switches formations as Fergie refuses to change full time to 4-2-3-1 Like the bulk of top teams play, that is the formation Pastore would work in but I don't know what we'd do with him in 4-4-2.

This is part of the problem, I don't mind him switching the formations up to suit his tactical approach to games, however often it means players are then pushed out of their better position.

However if a player is good enough, I'm sure Ferguson will try to adapt how the team plays/lines up in order to suit him.

If we where gonna play 4-2-3-1 with Pastore we could be lining up:

Berbatov

Rooney - Pastore - Nani

With all 3 swapping positions, Pastore seems talented, quick & skillful enough to be able to play in a winged role occassionally... certainly as much as Rooney would anyway.

It would be interesting to see if Pastore could play in a 4-4-2 alongside a more defensive minded partner in the middle though, Fletcher, Hargreaves or someone of that kinda mold.​

Yeah he suffers from the same wannabe Ronaldo syndrome Nani used to have.

:funny:

There is only 1 cure.. don't play at the same club as Ronaldo. :D

He was excellent again tonight, looking like a real bargain at £10M. :up:

Definatly looking like a really good signing & an added bonus that hes English & somewhat has a similar style to Rio Ferdinand. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"