World "The Spectacular Spider-Man" Appreciation Thread (possible spoilers) - Part 1

And just finished another recording. Greg Weisman, as usual, and the Voice Director of Spectacular Spider-Man: Jamie Thomason... one of the show's unsung heroes.

Greg, Zach, and Kristin are back, and we welcome Samuel back to the panel as we sit down to chat with Greg Weisman and the Voice Director of the series, Jamie Thomason. We discuss the development of the episode, and the character of Sandman. We also discuss Jamie’s career and just scratch the surface of what a Voice Director does, and why they are the unsung heroes of the animation industry. This one is a must-listen.

http://www.spidey-dude.com/?p=5335

Greg, Zach, and Kristin are back, and we welcome Samuel back to the panel as we sit down to chat with Greg Weisman and the Voice Director of the series, Jamie Thomason. We discuss the development of the episode, and the character of Sandman. We also discuss Jamie’s career and just scratch the surface of what a Voice Director does, and why they are the unsung heroes of the animation industry. This one is a must-listen.

http://www.spidey-dude.com/?p=5335

Thanks again! Another delight to listen to. I'm looking forward to Jamie's future projects, including YJ season three.

I'm saddened we never got to see Sandman's arc become realized in the series. Between this episode, and the vague hints Greg had regarding him on Ask Greg, I always thought they did a better job making Sandman sympathetic than the movie or the comics ever did, and you didn't even need a hokey plot about a daughter to accomplish so. :cwink:

I watched the first season. The series was very ambitious, often fun and did a lot of big things rights but I thought it also had some big flaws and the episodes were pretty hit-or-miss.
I didn't like the Green Goblin or the writing of Dr. Octopus in his first full-blown episode (though he was good before and after), Black Cat (though interesting and well-voiced) didn't make much sense and Eddie Brock felt pretty overblown and underwhelming (I thought the early episodes didn't portray them as as close as the latter ones claimed they were and the friendship breakdown felt a bit unconvincing).
I also didn't get much why Liz more and more liked and felt close to/caring of Peter and didn't like that Sally pretty much had her classic looks and was very often so antagonistic (edit: though some of those instances were amusing).
Tombstone, Vulture, Sandman, Rhino and Shocker were very well done.
Keaton's voice acting was good, pretty similar to Barnes's (mostly just younger and more flippant) and I really liked the portrayal of his rivalry-relationship with Flash, but a bit too often the humor was at Spider-Man/Peter's or, though he had some good moments, Jameson's expense.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd say some of the "Big Three's" best moments come after their introductory episodes, especially when things start to really pic up in Season 2. Once the villain is established, you start to look back on their original appearances and start to put things together.

To be honest, I was unimpressed with Gobby in his first appearance, then his second appearance was AMAZING to the point that it made me appreciate his original appearance. You start to pay a bit more attention to things that happened in their introduction and try to piece it into their future episodes. Things like Otto enjoying creating super villains more than he let on with his rambling about Rhino's suit. Or the fact he thought that Spider-Man caused his accident as revenge for creating those super villains when he became Ock. Heck even that the "accident" WAS indeed meant to kill him as a way of "tying up loose ends" from his employer who was doing illegal human testing. Heck even Season 2 sheds light that Sandman was actually supposed to be something more akin to Molten Man than what he ended up as.

Some more thoughts

The spider-sense was really well-done, used often but not excessively, used consistently.
It was just one episode but Peter twice forgetting to go back to/go to Harry to help him study was both cliched and unbelievable.
George Stacy was well-done but a little weird and disappointing that he didn't have more interaction or presence or apparent influence with Gwen or Peter.

You know I'm going to check it out... When it comes to superhero cartoons...the only thing I can stand to watch now is Justice League Action whenever it happens to be on (or binge watch it on demand).

I happened to come across the Season 2 threads while looking for something else. It's always nice to look back at our thoughts and feelings when the show was airing... ALL the mentions of torrents and all that...It was THAT good that some of us were trying to watch it at ANY MEANS NECESSARY.

Blueprints
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=309087

Destructive Testing
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=317760

Reinforcement:
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=318110

Shear Strength
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=318461

First Steps
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=319282

Growing Pains
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=319240

Identity Crisis
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=319267

Accomplices
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=320323

Probable Cause
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=320739

Gangland
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=321015

Subtext
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=321156

Opening Night
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=321228

Final Curtain
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=321240

Who was the Green Goblin?http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=302666

Jeez that was so long ago lol. I kinda forgot I created a lot of those threads lol.

Finally got around to listening to the most recent podcast episode covering 'First Steps.' Jamie Thomason was a joy to listen to--I really dug his sense of humor.

Watching Attack of the Lizard, and Electro debut episode (Interactions) is still a goofy one, mostly in the origin of Electro and how he looks.
The other two episodes are really good, but they don't make for a great movie when compiled like this.

Watching Attack of the Lizard, and Electro debut episode (Interactions) is still a goofy one, mostly in the origin of Electro and how he looks.
The other two episodes are really good, but they don't make for a great movie when compiled like this.

Remind me again, Aziz, what is different about the Attack of the Lizard dvd versus the singular episodes? I don't own the AotL dvd.

I know that there were some small alterations like the month the episode takes place rather than the title. Some small alternate scenes like Peter getting hit in the crotch with a water balloon by Flash, etc. I'm curious to know about the other differences as well.

Remind me again, Aziz, what is different about the Attack of the Lizard dvd versus the singular episodes? I don't own the AotL dvd.
The things K88 mentioned, plus the Ditko styled web sky at the end of each episode is replaced by night-day cycle.
End credits are the full song, and the post credits scene is the spoiler -pre intro scene- for Market Forces.

Agreed, the transitions between episodes felt really jarring, especially since the episodes for the most part are episodic. I understand why they choose to do this (since SSM was originally conceived as DTV movies) but since it ended up as a TV show, they shouldn't have gone down this route. But ultimately someone at Sony agreed since they only did the one.

Last edited:
Electro's look in Spectacular was pretty much an improvement over his comic look IMO. I never really did care for his starfish mask costume.

Happy 10th anniversary to The Spectacular Spider-Man...still the best Spider-Man in media! Can't believe it's been 10 years already.

MARKET FORCES

It has some goofy stuff, like the check in Spidey's belt turning to moldy lettuce, Peter bought a new camera that was later ignored, everyone next to Peter was unable to feel the stench until Flash mentioned it...

And then there is the dialogue bits that are usually considered corny
Marko: "We get our payday", O'Hirn: "Forget payday, I want payback"
O'Hirn: "Did I get him?", Montana: "All you got is on my nerves"

It's a good episode, but one of the weaker ones.

COMPETITION

Certainly one of my favorites. Action is some of the best in this show, I love the comedy in the field, and the homages to Spider-Man 3.

This is the best Sandman has ever been. EVER.

And that Flash Thompson laugh needs never be forgotten, it's a classic.

Sally Avril as a spectator on the tryouts is hilarious.

THE INVISIBLE HAND

Most reckless superhero.

Lonnie Lincoln: "The Big Man.. whoever he is.."
And then he tells Spider-Man indirectly that he really is the Big Man, and accepts Spider-Man calling him that.

Good time to introduce MJ, in a Rhino story, very true to the classic comics.

This issue introduced the thick hide and need of plenty of water

27747-2407-30782-1-iron-man.jpg

Ranking the episodes so far:
  1. Competitions
  2. Natural Selection
  3. Survival of the Fittest
  4. Market Forces
  5. The Invisible Hand
  6. Interactions

It's hard to believe that it has been 10 years...

Here's a question...has Spectacular Spider-Man oversaturate your expectations for anything Spider-Man related that came out afterwards? As in have you compared everything media related to Spider-Man to this show even subconsciously?

I remember One More Day happened in comics around that year as well, and for some people during that time, this show was their Spider-Man fix (so I can imagine this show having a very special place in their hearts).

Also, while we have our favorite episode lists, what about your favorite arcs or storylines?

The first three titles I'm pretty sure came from the DVD's, the other's I just had to make up...
Attack of the Lizard
Rise of the Super Villains
The Goblin Strikes
Venom

Master Planner
Venom Returns
Gang War
Return of the Green Goblin

Here's a question...has Spectacular Spider-Man oversaturate your expectations for anything Spider-Man related that came out afterwards? As in have you compared everything media related to Spider-Man to this show even subconsciously?
When it comes to film and animation it sure did, it was how I gauged quality in adaptions.

Also, while we have our favorite episode lists, what about your favorite arcs or storylines?
I'll have to wait after watching 20 more episodes to answer this, but the Venom arc (combining both seasons) has been high on my list of favorites. It's hard to believe that this show successfully managed to make the mediocre idiot my favorite antagonist in the series, and now looking at a couple of impressive villains in recent movies made his story even more memorable.
Of course, this was the last time we got any real weight to the combination of alien and host as a threat in any adaption. The game Web of Shadows of the same year valued the combination a bit more than more recent adaptions, by that I mean he had two or three lines of dialogue more than the aforementioned adaptions.

Second favorite arc is the mystery of the Green Goblin, which again combines both season appearances. It's disappointing that in both this and the 90s cartoon he wasn't my favorite, although I cannot overlook how excellent and faithful this take on the arch-foe of Spider-Man is, something they failed with miserably in the 90s cartoon.

CATALYSTS

It opens with an action scene that a lot of it is reused later in the episode, so this is not completely pleasant.
I don't like seeing Robbie as the opposite of being Spider-Man's friend and confidant who chooses to run with the story of letting his identity go public.
And Harry juiced twice in one night. How many doses does he take in one day of that serum?

Considering how these points are minor, everything else is done real well. Still one of the greatest episodes in one of the finest shows.

Favorite quote: "That's for making me save Tombstone"

REACTION

Safety key was removed from the site and Norman Osborn immediately knew he needed to use his own. Shame I missed this clue on the true identity of the Green Goblin the first time.

I love how they used Silver Age style of one shouting their new name for Doc Ock to announce his new and improved self.

Anyone else wonders how Octavius changes his outfit with the tentacles this attached to him?

Good use of the spider-signal.

Sally Avrill is hilarious when she gets mad at Pete.

Another good episode. Better than Interactions, and only that episode.

THE UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE

This episode doesn't end with Spider-Man's mask or webs filling the sky.

This episode also has a good introduction to the alien suit getting to Earth, unlike a certain show that will soon be 25 years old.

Between this one and Catalysts, I think I prefer episode 7.

1. Catalysts
  2. The Uncertainty Principle
  3. Competitions
  4. Natural Selection
  5. Survival of the Fittest
  6. Market Forces
  7. The Invisible Hand
  8. Reaction
  9. Interactions

This is it, the final arc of the season, 'the Alien Costume' arc of this show.
I remember when someone's words were "Make me a Venom fan" before we saw this story for the first time, or maybe that was just before seeing the season's finale.

PERSONA

I don't like how Spider-Man was made Black Cat's punching bag for her first scene. I still want to know what captain of industry wants to buy the ooze from Cat.

Newspaper shows pictures taken by Pete while Connors talk to cops, and another newspaper saying Connors only knew of the theft this morning. Multiple editions a day can put someone's head in for a spin.

Spider-Man remained sulking on Empire State Building for what? An hour? From twilight 'til night.

Jonah Jameson is his funniest this episode.

"Nooorman, how wonderful of you to come"
Normie is in Europe, or didn't the mayor get the memo?

"The real one? You don't even have the costume right"
"I'm in mourning for my buried rep."
The whole dialogue in that moment is rightfully hilarious.

Few nitpicks aside, this is a near perfect episode. I think I'll place it a bit above 'The Uncertainty Principle'.

GROUP THERAPY

Best thing about this is how they have solid build up to bring in the Sinister 6 in season 1, it might feel a tad bit rushed, but the episode execution makes you ignore that.

I love how Ock is nice to May without building up a love story between these two.

Eddie & MJ together is blah. Why is Eddie casually reckless and comments as if his family deaths are funny?

Symbiote vs the Sinister 6 has to be some of the best action this show provided, and with all the high quality action in this show it's a difficult pleasure to narrow down a best action scene.

INTERVENTIONS

Two short scenes with Flash Thompson and they are the most standout of his entire appearance in this show. I wish we could have a Flash this great for the movies instead of what we got so far.

No super villain fight, and this stands out as the best episode of the show to me.

I get the feeling that the Speed Force flashbacks in season 2 of the Flash took inspirations from this episode on how to do it.

NATURE VS NURTURE

Undoubtedly the best Venom in animation, and the best he's been as a villain.

1. Interventions
  2. Catalysts
  3. Nature vs Nurture
  4. Persona
  5. The Uncertainty Principle
  6. Competitions
  7. Group Therapy
  8. Natural Selection
  9. Survival of the Fittest
  10. Market Forces
  11. The Invisible Hand
  12. Reaction
  13. Interactions

Depends if the product is much worse. I try to judge everything on its own merits, but after I do that and think it falls short, I do start thinking of how Spectacular could've handled that better.

I do try to keep an open mind. I gave Ultimate Spider-Man a chance and hated it. I've enjoyed Marvel's Spider-Man more, but it's still flawed. It's hit-or-miss in the games and movies, and the comics are dead to me. After all, I know how annoying it is when everyone gets so hung up on the DCAU that they ignore all the other DC cartoons.

Season 2 time.
As I grow older, I find more to appreciate with the titles of choice for each episode. I still like the classic predictable comic styled 'Madness of Mysterio', or 'The Time the Master Planner Fell', but the more episodes with titles as such makes them harder to stand out.

BLUEPRINTS

Norman and his wife are home. Sure Norman needs to stay and take care of things at home, but why isn't silent lady with her boy while he recuperates? She's a no entity you'd think they'd leave her there once.

Curt: "Everyone deserves a second chance"
The doc and his wife don't agree with Eddie about the second chance Peter wasted in Persona.

As someone who is yet to see Gargoyles, I'm not sure what episode "What are you going to do, bite my knee cap?" comes from.

Best Stan cameo in animation.
Alright, the 90s show has a better cameo, and Ultimate gave him a better role than the idiot that licks a cold ship, who made it sound like a habit.

As someone who loves Mysterio I am a fan of this episode. Definitely high on the list of favorites.

DESTRUCTIVE TESTING

Love the nod to Sally's role in Untold Tales shortly before she died.

I was never one to hate Kraven the Hunter, and I'm glad this is another great appearance by the Hunter in animation.

REINFORCEMENT

Cletus Kassidy makes a cameo, and I still hate him.

That surprised Electro face is priceless.

Ock is a convincing actor, maybe he took lessons from his old boss.

I think this is a better Sinister 6 episode than the episode from season 1; 'Group Therapy'.

SHEAR STRENGTH

I have no qualms toward this episode.

1. Interventions
  2. Shear Strength
  3. Bluprints
  4. Catalysts
  5. Reinforcement
  6. Nature vs Nurture
  7. Persona
  8. The Uncertainty Principle
  9. Competitions