Tyler Hoechlin is Clark Kent/Superman

Did they take in the suit a little or am I just getting used to it? It seems less bulky somehow.
I think it just looks better from certain angles. In the head-on shots it still looks like some 80's shoulder pad realness, lol.

I think it just looks better from certain angles. In the head-on shots it still looks like some 80's shoulder pad realness, lol.

Unrelated, but check this out. The Frog Lady is selling unwatermarked HQ versions of the set pics she took the other day.

Unrelated, but check this out. The Frog Lady is selling unwatermarked HQ versions of the set pics she took the other day.

Ok I hadn't seen that later set - you might be right. In the image of him waving, the shoulder pads jumped out at me, but in that straight-ahead one of him just standing there, it DOES kinda look like they shaved it down a little bit.

7DPJ.gif

:mag

Ok I hadn't seen that later set - you might be right. In the image of him waving, the shoulder pads jumped out at me, but in that straight-ahead one of him just standing there, it DOES kinda look like they shaved it down a little bit.

7DPJ.gif

:mag

With all these intervals they keep taking, it's not like they don't have the time. Might as well put it to good use! lol

Jeffrey Hunter would've made a great Bruce Wayne/Bats to Clint Walker's Superman back in the day.

Well no doubt that Clint Walker would've looked like Superman, but so would Jeffrey Hunter as well.

Tyler Hoechlin has that look of Jeffrey Hunter, and also the look of a more classic 50s movie star. Look at the similarities between them here:

b1fc64bd52d485d11de676ccf94da800.jpg

original.gif

a-sm11.jpg

With all these intervals they keep taking, it's not like they don't have the time. Might as well put it to good use! lol
Actually I'm pretty sure they've been taking the intervals because they've been having to play catch-up with the release schedule, so they might literally not have any time to spare, lol. Next season I definitely expect to see some alterations, though!

Well no doubt that Clint Walker would've looked like Superman, but so would Jeffrey Hunter as well.

Tyler Hoechlin has that look of Jeffrey Hunter, and also the look of a more classic 50s movie star. Look at the similarities between them here:

I already know what they look like. I just don't see that much of a resemblance between them. Tyler has a middle hairline, green or bluish-green eyes, and a Roman nose; the late J. Hunter had blue eyes, a straight, somewhat wider nasal bridge w/ a rounder tip, and a receding hairline. Their coloring isn't quite the same either. I could go on, but you get the point. If not, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Last edited:
Actually I'm pretty sure they've been taking the intervals because they've been having to play catch-up with the release schedule, so they might literally not have any time to spare, lol. Next season I definitely expect to see some alterations, though!

Yeah, I was only half-serious. lol

Yeah, Tyler's definitely got the Superman look to me. Maybe he isn't the tallest actor to fill the red boots, but by no stretch of the imagination would I ever consider him short. His physique is nothing to scoff at either. (The dude is clearly jacked!) And like you said, he's got the square jaw and dark hair that we generally associate with the character. Come to think of it, he's naturally more dark haired than any of his recent predecessors in the role. Cavill's hair, for instance, is normally brown and curly, and Reeve's was even a couple of shades lighter. Both actors relied on product and other means so as to better embody the role, physically speaking. And while other on-screen Supermen such as Routh and Welling have reasonably dark (brown) hair, thus negating the need for any extra soy sauce as BN likes to call it, Hoechlin still has the vast majority of them beat with that near-black hair of his. "But... but he doesn't have blue eyes! Not mah Superman without blue eyes!!" This isn't anything you don't already know, but for a lot of fans—especially those of the purist type—Superman's blue eye color is a trademark feature that should be maintained at all costs. And yes, Hoechlin does, in fact, lack this feature. But guess what? In the overall scheme of things, I can't think of a more trivial detail. (Okay, maybe I can, but work with me here!) Never mind that "green" eyes, as they appear in humans, are often sort of bluish by nature, but there's already a precedent for green and even brown-eyed Supermen!

It's interesting that you mention Cavill's nose, as it's this particular characteristic that certain Hoechlin critics seem to find themselves struggling with at times. Now, while I wouldn't necessarily describe Cavill's nose as bulbous, apart from the tip, that is, I definitely see what you're getting at there. For similar reasons, I could never fully get on board with fans who regularly likened him to Jurgens' Superman, or Lee's for that matter. As relates to Hoechlin's nose, even with the contour giving it a sort of beakish or "Roman" effect, that doesn't really throw off the look IMHO, to borrow your phrasing. Indeed, on closer inspection, it seems greatly reduced when he isn't smiling, frowning, etc., thus creating the illusion of a straighter nose bridge. And yes, comic book artists have been known to depict Superman and other comic book superheroes with sharp features since time immemorial. Granted, aquiline/Roman nose shapes are used a little less frequently—in rendering "good guys", as opposed to stereotypically villainous characters—than the more traditional straight nose variety, but they're not too uncommon. Look no further than Leinel Yu, his pencils in Superman: Birthright (you've heard of this one before, right? :cwink:) to be specific. For good examples of the latter, they can be found in everything from Jim Lee's work to the late Michael Turner's. And given that Hoechlin started out with a fairly straight nose (evidenced by his earlier appearances in movies like Road to Perdition) that gradually curved downward with age, his current look falls somewhere in between those renderings as I see it.

All of that being said, we're talking about the literal shape of molecules here (facial molecules at that!), most of which has no actual bearing on things like masculinity and capacity for hard work. I understand that in selling a movie to global audiences who come w/ all manner of generalizations, as informed partly by stuff that's already baked into the collective consciousness, you have to cater to certain expectations. But with notions of what constitutes manliness varying from person to person, there needs to be a little flexibility in how filmmakers go about the casting process; and thankfully, there is to some degree. Otherwise, you might as well forget about talent and just hire bodybuilders and Victoria Secret models, as they're better suited to the unrealistic body standards you'll generally find in the pages of a comic. It's not even that I really disagree with you here, Flick, as I'd never want someone like Noah Centineo cast in the part of a Superman or a Batman. But when you start saying things like a male actor's "too pretty" for whatever reason despite him mostly meeting the right criteria (strong jawline, muscular build, etc.), it's not much different than saying an actress is wrong for a feminine part merely on account of her face being too angular or her boobs being too small. I know we all do this kind of thing from time to time, but it's worth considering the implications just the same.

And now try having this level of discourse about Supergirl's physical appearance.. :hehe:

I already know what they look like. I just don't see that much of a resemblance between them. Tyler has a middle hairline, green or bluish-green eyes, and a Roman nose; the late J. Hunter had blue eyes, a straight, somewhat wider nasal bridge w/ a rounder tip, and a receding hairline. Their coloring isn't quite the same either. I could go on, but you get the point. If not, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Anson Mount really looks like Jeff Hunter. I've met Anson and Tyler.. though I couldn't really get a read on Tyler's appearance at the time, he had a thick beard, baseball cap and didn't look that imposing. Maybe that's a sign he can effectively work the Clark Kent disguise.

And now try having this level of discourse about Supergirl's physical appearance.. :hehe:

Anson Mount really looks like Jeff Hunter. I've met Anson and Tyler.. though I couldn't really get a read on Tyler's appearance at the time, he had a thick beard, baseball cap and didn't look that imposing. Maybe that's a sign he can effectively work the Clark Kent disguise.

Yep. Anson Mount definitely looks more like Hunter. That isn't to say that the late actor would've been a bad Superman, I just prefer Flickchick's suggestion in Clint Walker. Hunter, especially in his depiction of Christopher Pike on Star Trek, always reminded me of Bruce from The New Batman Adventures. But it goes without saying that Bruce and Clark have traditionally been drawn much the same, give or take a slight difference in nose or eyebrow shape. Tyler himself looks remarkably similar to Gary Frank's Bruce Wayne from Batman: Earth One. And interestingly enough, Mount was recently cast in the role of the aforementioned Pike.

On a loosely related note, Mount had quite the interesting exchange with James Gunn on Twitter the other day.

Last edited:
Yep. Anson Mount definitely looks more like Hunter. That isn't to say that the late actor would've been a bad Superman, I just prefer Flickchick's suggestion in Clint Walker. Hunter, especially in his depiction of Christopher Pike on Star Trek, always reminded me of Bruce from The New Batman Adventures. But it goes without saying that Bruce and Clark have traditionally been drawn much the same, give or take a slight difference in nose or eyebrow shape. Tyler himself looks remarkably similarly to Gary Frank's Bruce Wayne from Batman: Earth One. And interestingly enough, Mount was recently cast in the role of the aforementioned Pike.

On a loosely related note, Mount had quite the interesting exchange with James Gunn on Twitter the other day.
Anson Mount was once my pick for Batman, so yeah, Hunter as Batman tracks, lol.

What was the gist of the Gunn/Mount (no puns pls) exchange?

Anson Mount was once my pick for Batman, so yeah, Hunter as Batman tracks, lol.

What was the gist of the Gunn/Mount (no puns pls) exchange?

Without mentioning any names, Gunn basically called out various actors for lying about their height. He offered fair reasons as to why that can be problematic for filmmakers and the like. For whatever reason, that triggered the hell out of Mount, who responded directly to Gunn. He said something along the lines of how difficult these types of requirements can make it for up-and-coming actors.

I'll see if I can find some of the exchange.

@flickchick85

Here's the original comment from James:

And Mount's response:

Well, James. It kinda shouldn’t ****** matter. Industry’s use of “height” is shorthand for male dominance/ “masculinity” (particularly re: female counterparts). Here’s a better idea: present US with your measurements when we walk through the door. We’ll likely be underwhelmed.

Eh, I see both sides. I mean, I agree nobody should be adding a half a foot to their height or anything, because that level of difference could really throw off the aesthetic balance of a shot like he mentioned, but from everything I've seen, most seem to exaggerate by a couple inches. If directors can't work with that, with all the tricks they have to make people look taller on camera, that's just sad. And it completely dismisses the power of screen presence and charisma, and what that can do to the viewer's perception. I've also seen that tall actors do the same in the opposite direction, and lie about being shorter. It's kind of ridiculous that they have to do that - to me the problem is more Hollywood's antiquated notions on height/power correlations than the actors just trying to get in the door.

Eh, I see both sides. I mean, I agree nobody should be adding a half a foot to their height or anything, because that level of difference could really throw off the aesthetic balance of a shot like he mentioned, but from everything I've seen, most seem to exaggerate by a couple inches. If directors can't work with that, with all the tricks they have to make people look taller on camera, that's just sad. And it completely dismisses the power of screen presence and charisma, and what that can do to the viewer's perception. I've also seen that tall actors do the same in the opposite direction, and lie about being shorter. It's kind of ridiculous that they have to do that - to me the problem is more Hollywood's antiquated notions on height/power correlations than the actors just trying to get in the door.

Absolutely. Couldn't have said it better myself.

E0KQf-sUYAM8IW7

I wonder if it was intentional or a honest mistake that Superman's costume has a open neck in one shot then a closed one in the remaining shots.

E4SISvwWEAcRbsw

Well, now we know why the cape's attachment looked off in that first shot.

If actors are adding several inches to their height, does that mean someone like Daniel Radcliffe is really only about 5ft or 5'2"?

Anson exaggerates his height, just based on my impression his height in person. He's listed as 6'1.

Ethan Peck is also 6'1.

Both of them are definitely not the same height;
https%3A%2F%2Fredshirtsalwaysdie.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2016%2F04%2F1093794614-850x560.jpeg

So I get where he's coming from. Fantastic actor though. Loved him on "Hell on Wheels." Would have made an incredible Batman.

About 12 years ago, we almost got DJ Cotrona (5'8) as Superman and Armie Hammer (6'5) as Batman... that would have been something to behold.

Both of them are definitely not the same height...
https%3A%2F%2Fredshirtsalwaysdie.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2016%2F04%2F1093794614-850x560.jpeg

Hard to tell from just one image. Footwear, posture and camera angle can make a difference. E.g.:

e3caf79326cbfc7c4427c1f2563e5025.jpg

"Celebheights" say that Mount is 5'11", Peck is 6'.

That sounds about right. We've seen them on screen together as well.

Of course all those things can be manipulated. Tom Cruise.

I'm more partial to this one, minus the stubble:

I've always been partial to the John Byrne Post-Crisis depiction of Superman with wavy windblown hair.

Honestly, I posted this picture awhile back, and would love to see this style as well. I'm just not a fan of his current hair style, I feel it does him no favors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philippe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"