Uncharted

I still cant wrap my head around the fact that someone at Sony Studio really thought Tom Holland is a perfect fit for Nate Drake.

They probably just hopes that Holland will attract those who've seen his Spider-Man movies

Holland has said he pitched himself as Drake randomly to one of the execs, thinking he'd get shot down, and they loved the idea.
Ugh. I can't stand when an actor is completely wrong for the part, and yet they champion the idea of it. I get it, he loves Uncharted, but that doesn't mean he's right for the role. And he certainly isn't here.

I could get behind Holland if they were using the backstory of the games and showing Drake's childhood and young adulthood, bringing in his brother Sam and things like that. But he looks already fully formed here.

I don't like the casting but the trailer looked OK. Had no idea that is Chloe. Are they trying to fit this in the same continuity as the games?

It seems like they're trying to cram in all the games into one movie.

As a standalone adventure movie, I think this looks kinda fun. But as an Uncharted adaptation or whatever? Meh.

Video game adaptations shouldn't be that hard. There are plenty of modern videogames (including Uncharted) that are edited as a movie and uploaded on YouTube, which could act as a guide how to adapt a single game into a live action movie.

If nothing else, this trailer informed me of that cute Nathan Fillion fan film from a few years back. Somehow slipped my notice.

Michael Fassbender as Kratos for God of War adaptation!

Ryan Reynolds for Sly Cooper. Okay I'm done.

While Reynolds isn't perfect for Drake and The Rock is no Sully (though no worse a fit than Wahlberg), Red Notice looks a better Uncharted movie than this.

Just came here to post exactly the same thing after seeing the trailer for that one.

Also, another thought... With the cargo plane scene, at what point does something stop being a homage and become pure plagiarism? Like am I crazy or is using an almost shot for shot recreation of an already cinematic action game just like... Lazy AF? Do they think the fans will be excited by that? All it made me do was want to play that game again haha

That’s why video game movies not actually based on any real video game are usually the better ones;

The Last Starfighter, Wreck-It Ralph, Ready Player One, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, Free Guy basically all trounce any of the “real” ones lol

As I've said elsewhere, that's not *really* the same thing. The movies you've mentioned aren't adaptations of a video game story, they are stories about our relationship with video games, as an element of pop culture. That's not the same thing as adapting the plot of a game to a movie, even a hypothetical game you made from scratch. Think "player focused" rather than "game focused".

Fundamentally, its more that Hollywood is good at writing their own scripts about video games as pop culture, because that's something they've long done and respect as a thing: writing commentary about pop culture. They are bad, so far, at adapting video games themselves as source material, because they *don't* respect them as source material.

As I've said elsewhere, that's not *really* the same thing. The movies you've mentioned aren't adaptations of a video game story, they are stories about our relationship with video games, as an element of pop culture. That's not the same thing as adapting the plot of a game to a movie, even a hypothetical game you made from scratch. Think "player focused" rather than "game focused".

Fundamentally, its more that Hollywood is good at writing their own scripts about video games as pop culture, because that's something they've long done and respect as a thing: writing commentary about pop culture. They are bad, so far, at adapting video games themselves as source material, because they *don't* respect them as source material.

But I don’t think video games themselves lend themselves to be adapted. They’re meant to be played, and their storylines reflect that. The reason the movies about our relationship towards video games are better is because they capture the spirit of playing those video games better than adapting the storyline of one directly.

Not shot for shot maybe, but beat for beat perhaps. Like him climbing up, fighting a guy in cargo hold then getting knocked out again anyway. Like using the exact same, specific set piece doesn't excite me because I've already played that. Like I feel like that's not gonna excite fans as much as they think it might?

Video game adaptations shouldn't be that hard. There are plenty of modern videogames (including Uncharted) that are edited as a movie and uploaded on YouTube, which could act as a guide how to adapt a single game into a live action movie.
If it's already edited as a movie, and the game itself is already a playable movie, then wouldn't making an adaption be kinda pointless anyway? Because it's very rare to make something that lives up to, or een surpass the original, so they're basically just remaking it into something inferior.

Exactly why adapting modern games is pointless. They are already movies.
Not every modern video game is a movie. Uncharted was made to be cinematic masterpiece, gameplay along cut scenes with action were meant to look as you controlling movie experience. Many people dont like those kind of games where you basically just push button in right time for game to progress. Basically whole game is already pre orchestrated and choreographed for actions and cut scenes to happen.

There are plenty of video games I personally wanna see on big screen. For instance Dead Space. I think going horror route with some action instead going immediately big budget can work for some video games adaptation. And ofcourse studio which will give director full freedom without interference and changing source material which was whole point of this material you adapting. Because horror is one of cheapest genre movies you can work with in Hollywood and good opportunity to make yourself big name.

Thing is you need to find visionary director. Ridley did it in his time with Alien. And made franchise out of it. You can't exactly give it to someone who has not good track record of being good director or has no passion for it.

For example. Who would have thought John Krasinski would be great director and screen writer. Hell he did all that + acting + CGI suit acting for monster. You need to find that kind of person to get most out nothing.

Modern games that have an epic cinematic feel should really be adapted in either one of two ways:

1. A straight-up faithful TV series adaptation like The Last of Us which is meant to expand the reach of the story to people who'd ordinarily never pick up a controller but can also still be enjoyed by fans of the game.

or

2. A film that is canon to the games but an entirely new story, be it a prequel or continuation.

Uncharted should have been the latter and up until the trailer that's what we were lead to believe but it's looking like that isn't quite the case and is more of a mashup of memorable moments from the games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"