What Is Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson Cooking With DC Thread (Black Adam)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This puts a lot of pressure on them to cast Shazam properly. They need
someone who can match the Rock in terms of physicality and presence.
The Rock isn't a great actor, but you have to admit he's a commanding
presence, they need to cast a Shazam who can stand up to him and
look convincing.

Channing Tatum has the physical presence - and I think he's quite underrated as an actor. He and the Rock had some reasonable chemistry in their short stint together in that GI JOe film (which otherwise was unbearable **** !)
Hopefully they don't go with Taylor Kitch or someone like that.

I guess from reading previous posts, this film will have a lighter tone than previous DC super-hero flicks, which is cool. If that is true, then it makes the Rock's casting a bit more sensible - plus his power to pull in audiences, no matter how derivative or uninspired the film he's starring in, is.

Personally, still I wish they'd cast the Rock as Captain Marvel/Shazam,
I just struggle to take him seriously as a villain, even in a not-so serious
film.

This puts a lot of pressure on them to cast Shazam properly. They need
someone who can match the Rock in terms of physicality and presence.
The Rock isn't a great actor, but you have to admit he's a commanding
presence, they need to cast a Shazam who can stand up to him and
look convincing.

Channing Tatum has the physical presence - and I think he's quite underrated as an actor. He and the Rock had some reasonable chemistry in their short stint together in that GI JOe film (which otherwise was unbearable **** !)
Hopefully they don't go with Taylor Kitch or someone like that.

I guess from reading previous posts, this film will have a lighter tone than previous DC super-hero flicks, which is cool. If that is true, then it makes the Rock's casting a bit more sensible - plus his power to pull in audiences, no matter how derivative or uninspired the film he's starring in, is.

Personally, still I wish they'd cast the Rock as Captain Marvel/Shazam,
I just struggle to take him seriously as a villain, even in a not-so serious
film.

Tatum has already been miscast as Gambit...so I doubt he would do a DC film now.

Vince Vaughn
Jason Segel
Joe Manganiello
Ashton Kutcher
Rob Riggle
Channing Tatum

for Shazam

Segel? Kutcher? Vaughn? Riggle? Only one has an even passing physical appearance and, no, I'm sorry, I doubt the world is on pins and needles to see Kelso as a superhero. In what those guys do, all of them are good to great. But... No. Just no to all of them. There's actually not a fine line between a light and fun tone and doing a straight up comedy. Also, I think Capt. Marvel/Shazam should be played by someone that's not going to obviously look or sound like someone well over, say, 33 years old. Adam looking physically like a man in his late 30's or early 40's is fine. Marvel? I kind of assumed he looks like a man in his late 20's to early 30's. Even transformed he needs a certain boyish charm with his mature look. I just don't see it in those candidates. And some are just way wrong, like Segel, for this kind of role, no matter how "fun" and "light" a film like this is. Those names suggested would work for say, A BRADY BUNCH MOVIE take on SHAZAM. If you want that, then full steam ahead with those suggestions. Myself? I just don't see it working in a film that's supposed to at least be taken serious in it's action adventure aspects.

Gotta agree with krypton. Those names are god awful for shazam. Especially vaughn. Those names suggest the movie will be a romcom or something. And could you imagine any of them standing against the Rock?? The only one off that list I support is Joe M.

The first thing that needs to be considered is physcality and talent, if they've got those qualties then playing shazam, should be no problem.

My top picks for shazam are Owain Yeoman, Armie Hammer and Joe M. But Yeoman is my top pick at the moment.

Last edited:
It's not that I dislike those guys as performers... Okay, I dislike Ashton. But other than him I like those guys. Just not for this.

Yeah they're just really awkward and mismatched picks for shazam.

Corey Feldman for the Wizard.

The lack of a "sarcasm smiley" scares me!

Anyhoo, more seriously, F. Abraham Murray from Homeland is my pick for Shazam, the Wizard.
2_fabmur_shazam-Copy_zps0511bd5a.jpg

I would go with Derek Jacobi. He's a much-underused actor.

Joe Manganiello
Ashton Kutcher

Channing Tatum

for Shazam
These are the only choices you have that would be well-cast.

Odds are Fox has a clause in their contract about competing comic films; pretty sure all studios have one at this point. So I'd see Tatum out of the running.

And honestly Kutcher is a dark horse choice that I really approve of. He's shown his comedic range in most his movies, he can have a boy-like charm as shown in That 70s Show, and he handles drama very well.

'nother name. David Walton? NBC keeps trying to make him happen. he's like in a new pilot for NBC every fall.

david-walton.jpg

These are the only choices you have that would be well-cast.

Odds are Fox has a clause in their contract about competing comic films; pretty sure all studios have one at this point. So I'd see Tatum out of the running.

And honestly Kutcher is a dark horse choice that I really approve of. He's shown his comedic range in most his movies, he can have a boy-like charm as shown in That 70s Show, and he handles drama very well.
Kutcher would be awesome. I've got a lot of respect for him as an actor after The Butterfly Effect. He can do dramatic roles if given the chance.

Plus WB have considered him in the past for Superman, perhaps they'll set their sights on him again.

None of these sound like thrilling choices for Shazam, imo.

I'm definitely on the Yeoman bandwagon.

SOme other names I'd be fine with are:

Channing Tatum-Though since he'll be Gambit this probably won't happen)
John Krasinski (odd choice but I think he'd work here)
Jake Gyllenhaal (Yep)

I see a lot of the same generic leading male names here. I think CM requires something a bit different.

Agreed, none of these choices sound inspired & I wouldn't put stock in any of them being cast. None of them fit the bill for what would be required of Shazam, especially now that the Rock is portraying Black Adam.

lol. as if everyone here is desperate to get someone in particular cast. everyone is throwing out names except for those complaining about the names being brought up. stop complaining and make a suggestion if you don't like these suggestions.

I wasn't complaining about the suggestions made, but rather opining that they didn't quite fit the character. I have given my suggestion: Matt Bomer. I also think Hammer is a reasonable choice. Attack away.

I love Bomer, but I want him with Marvel Studios. :oldrazz:

He'd be good as Shazam though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"