What Was the Last Movie You Watched?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only ones I enjoyed were the first two, especially the second. I remember really not liking those sequels and the remake and the cash grab sequel that followed it were even bigger wastes of time IMO.
I kinda liked Rec 3, despite it getting overbearingly corny at certain times. Barring an historical context, I simply can't take a movie seriously when two guys are wandering around in medieval armour. Quarantine was a pointless remake, but I thought Quarantine 2 was actually pretty good. I'd consider the first Rec, Quarantine 2 and maybe Rec 3 to each be worth at least one watch. I haven't seen Rec 2 in years but I remember not really liking it.

Was Rec 3 the one with the wedding? That was my favourite one. Especially the ending. Didn't mind the two Quantines too much. Only realised a little while back that Jay Hernandez is in the first one. The first time I saw it his name didn't mean anything to me.

Phillips stitches together two Scorcese movies in an attempt to bite the legendary directors style from his prime, and sticks Phoenix effeminate Bing Crosby infused take on The Joker in the middle of it. The subway scene is good, as is the talk show scene between Joker and Murray, but the film is unrelentingly miserable and dull for long stretches. Give me Ledger, Hammil or Nicholson any day.

6/10
I loved it. Still, at least we pretty much agreed on The Killing Joke!

Was Rec 3 the one with the wedding? That was my favourite one. Especially the ending.
The ending was the best part. The whole time he was kissing her, I was thinking, 'Please bite his lips off, please bite his lips off.'

And then not only did she bite his lips off, but she also ripped his tongue out. :funny:

Zombi 2 (1979)

image_12524491.jpg

Alexandre Aja does a good job utilizing the claustrophobic setting, the camerawork and editing is good, I also thought Kaya Scodelario was good in the lead, but the swimmer stuff was corny, the father/daughter dynamic is dull and the film just never really drew me in.

6/10

Managed to acquire Sky Arts via Freeview (not sure how) but long may it continue and last night they had the documentary of Spielberg I've wanted to see for a number of years and looked out for it on DVD, but as I say, saw it last night and it was everything I could have wanted. 2.5 hours of pure bliss.

Phillips stitches together two Scorcese movies in an attempt to bite the legendary directors style from his prime, and sticks Phoenix effeminate Bing Crosby infused take on The Joker in the middle of it. The subway scene is good, as is the talk show scene between Joker and Murray, but the film is unrelentingly miserable and dull for long stretches. Give me Ledger, Hammil or Nicholson any day.

6/10

I loved it.. and it's not a copy of King of Comedy but there's an inspiration from Taxi Driver.

Soundtrack, cinematography etc were all good so idk how you can't even give a 7/10

9/10 for me, top 5 cbm

I loved it.. and it's not a copy of King of Comedy but there's an inspiration from Taxi Driver.

Soundtrack, cinematography etc were all good so idk how you can't even give a 7/10

9/10 for me, top 5 cbm

Because I didn't enjoy the film much, I didn’t like Phoenix take on The Joker and i thought Phillips directorial approach was just basic Scorcese fanboy stuff, I liked the cinematography but not the music, and those things are not going to make up the difference if i don't like the core of the movie, but cinematography is why I gave it 6 instead of 5. :cwink: It wouldn’t be in my top 30 CBM's but each to their own.

Give me Ledger, Hammil or Nicholson any day.

6/10
Strongly agreed on preferring these other jokers, and I will also add Kevin Michael Richardson from the Batman (my personal favorite Joker).

I enjoyed this movie significantly more than you did, but I will admit that I don't feel it as a CBM, maybe the names Thomas Wayne, Gotham, and Joker should make me feel that way, but I did not think that was enough.

Joker felt like a movie wearing the skin of another movie because studios don't want to do new IPs anymore so Todd Phillips needed to have his idea wear the skin of another property. I gave a pass [:up::down] at best. There's good aspects to it (acting, directing, cinematography) but it's just not my cup of tea or a character I'm particularly invested in...even more so without Batman. It sits somewhere in the middle of the pack of recent DC movies post-Nolan IMO.

Because I didn't enjoy the film much, I didn’t like Phoenix take on The Joker and i thought Phillips directorial approach was just basic Scorcese fanboy stuff, I liked the cinematography but not the music, and those things are not going to make up the difference if i don't like the core of the movie, but cinematography is why I gave it 6 instead of 5. :cwink: It wouldn’t be in my top 30 CBM's but each to their own.

Your (unpopular) opinion, I disagree on everything you have said. Phoenix's performance is phenomenal.

Downplaying via Scorsese is lol argument worthy.

Your (unpopular) opinion, I disagree on everything you have said. Phoenix's performance is phenomenal.

Downplaying via Scorsese is lol argument worthy.

Ok, I don't care, popular opinion can often be sheep mentality, but like I said, each to their own.

I don't see why, if all you bring to the table is copying and pasting someone else's style it isn't impressive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole
Back