Dark Phoenix X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - - - - Part 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are being obtuse if you are going to pretend a lineup with Jean, Cyclops, Storm, Beast, Nightcrawler, and Xavier isn't mostly A-team. And yes then you have some "unusual" additions like Mystique and Quicksilver. ;)

Also you bring up Angel, Psylocke, and Jubilee a lot. Yeah, I'd like Psylocke in a movie (I'm less keen on the other two) and done well, but did you not notice Apocalypse was too crowded? I'm fine with them being out if it means the next one is less stuffed to the brims with characters who just stand there (Angel and Psylocke) or do nothing at all (Jubilee).

And let's be honest, most audiences would be way more bummed if Quicksilver got cut than those three. :oldrazz:

In any case, we're about to get the "main" X-Men (or many of them) taking the centerstage in Dark Phoenix. I am aware they were not the leads in the best mainline X-films (FC and DOFP), but that is a consequence of TLS.

As for 18 years, you're finally getting the main team taking the spotlight in Dark Phoenix.

Are we? Where have we heard the main X-Men are 'taking centerstage'.

Yes, of course Jean is bound to be pretty central, and possibly Cyclops. The leaks say that it was Xavier, Erik, Jean and Scott at the UN when the aliens attack.

What about the others?

I don't judge these movies based on how faithful they are to the comics

Maybe if you had followed the comics and read them, you would have a different view.

Your views are all justified on the basis of the films so far, which is a very narrow standpoint.

This appears to be your view:

"Well, Xavier, Erik and Raven Everdeen have all been central in the films so far and I like them so that's the right thing to do and the only thing that can ever be done, these films are fabulous, these three are the actual X-Men and anyone who says otherwise is just a mindless fanboy."

It's a very blinkered world you live in.

If they reboot, you may have to wait many years again for that to happen if Disney goes in a "Homecoming" direction and elects to focus on less well-known characters. :)

I think it's doubtful that Disney would ignore the key X-Men characters. Fox has given them plenty of scope to do a proper job.

According to the leaks, which have been confirmed by many sources, Storm and Nightcrawler don't do much. So no. If Beast and Cyclops get more role, its a supporting role at best and I doubt its more substantial than X1 Cyclops or X3 Beast.

Wait wait wait a second. The leaks are right about Storm and Nightcrawler [BLACKOUT]not doing much[/BLACKOUT] but wrong about Beast and Cyclops amongst [BLACKOUT]having the most to do[/BLACKOUT]? Of course you would twist it this way.

I would just like to highlight that we’ve come to the point where it’s now news (not just news...SPOILERS!) to say certain X-men team members have major roles. In a movie about...the X-men.

At least Kinberg and Fox had the sense to remove “X-men” from the title.

Last edited:

Yes, of course Jean is bound to be pretty central, and possibly Cyclops. The leaks say that it was Xavier, Erik, Jean and Scott at the UN when the aliens attack.

The "leaks" are actually more like rumors. But they say Jean, Scott, Beast, and Xavier take center stage. All major "A list" X-Men while Storm and Nightcrawler are background players. That I can understand is frustrating, but I'm not hearing about Logan (also an A-lister), Mystique, or Magneto getting center focus, which so upsets folks around here.

Maybe if you had followed the comics and read them, you would have a different view.

Your views are all justified on the basis of the films so far, which is a very narrow standpoint.

I did grow up reading comics and followed them pretty well until about 10 or 11 years ago. I am well aware of the X-Men of the comics and do not appreciate the condescension that assumes because I like the movies means I did not read the comics. I simply know how to separate the two, and evaluate the movies on what they do as films as opposed to fan service.

I understand that is a minority opinion around here, but the whole reason I began this conversation is that it is presumptuous to assume that just because someone likes the films that they are not a "true fan" of the comics or did not follow them.

The "leaks" are actually more like rumors. But they say Jean, Scott, Beast, and Xavier take center stage. All major "A list" X-Men while Storm and Nightcrawler are background players. That I can understand is frustrating, but I'm not hearing about Logan (also an A-lister), Mystique, or Magneto getting center focus, which so upsets folks around here.

I did grow up reading comics and followed them pretty well until about 10 or 11 years ago. I am well aware of the X-Men of the comics and do not appreciate the condescension that assumes because I like the movies means I did not read the comics. I simply know how to separate the two, and evaluate the movies on what they do as films as opposed to fan service.

I understand that is a minority opinion around here, but the whole reason I began this conversation is that it is presumptuous to assume that just because someone likes the films that they are not a "true fan" of the comics or did not follow them.

Thank you!!!

I agree, the films should be seen as comics themselves and stories within their own right. By all means, directors can and sometimes should pull from source material, but their works at the end should be considered just as much as official as any comic. IMO

And just look how these filmmakers have made so many fans despise Magneto and Mystique.

Something is clearly wrong when so many people on those boards are so fed up.

Magneto is one of my favourite characters in the X-Men comics (and animated series). I also love Mystique in the comics and cartoons and the Rebecca Romijn portrayal, though a henchwoman to Magneto, was far preferable to the J-Law version. I imagined Mystique would have a far more interesting backstory on screen.

Well, I'm a comics fan and also a fan of many of the movies. I even found reason to enjoy X3 back in the days of trilogies when we all thought it was the last team movie we would get.

But the films are frustrating, and X-Men Apocalypse was such a backwards step from DoFP. It did such a disservice to so many characters, it's hard to imagine who came up with all that nonsense.

Same **** different day.

njpdxX9x_o.gif

Get rid of that or find a bleeped version before the mods come at you.

And just look how these filmmakers have made so many fans despise Magneto and Mystique.

Something is clearly wrong when so many people on those boards are so fed up.

Magneto is one of my favourite characters in the X-Men comics (and animated series). I also love Mystique in the comics and cartoons and the Rebecca Romijn portrayal, though a henchwoman to Magneto, was far preferable to the J-Law version. I imagined Mystique would have a far more interesting backstory on screen.

Well, I'm a comics fan and also a fan of many of the movies. I even found reason to enjoy X3 back in the days of trilogies when we all thought it was the last team movie we would get.

But the films are frustrating, and X-Men Apocalypse was such a backwards step from DoFP. It did such a disservice to so many characters, it's hard to imagine who came up with all that nonsense.

Some people are just sick of Mystique and Magneto. They really should have ended their run after Dofp. I wouldn't mind if we are in the middle of Apocalypse trilogy or Sinister as the new big bad.

As for Nightcrawler and Storm as background character, yikes with a smaller cast this time, they can't still find a way to give everyone a substantial role. I think the closest we got from that is X2 which is way back in 2003!

Last edited:
I think it's doubtful that Disney would ignore the key X-Men characters. Fox has given them plenty of scope to do a proper job.

I feel like Vision and Scarlet Witch has done more in three films than Colossus in five films and Kitty/Iceman in four films. While even though MCU Quicksilver was a 1 and done, his role was bigger than Jubilee in four films, Emma/Psylocke/Angel in two films and 1/done appearances of Banshee/Bishop/Gambit. Now don't get me started with Beast, Rogue, Cyclops, PhoeniX and Storm compare to the big heroes of the MCU. Fox hasn't even utilized Forge, Polaris and Dazzler (well unless you count her DJ gig :o) in the films.

Actually, Colossus has finally been done justice and has gotten his fair share of space in the 'DEADPOOL' movies.

As for Nightcrawler and Storm as background character, yikes with a smaller cast this time, they can't still find a way to give everyone a substantial role. I think the closest we got from that is X2 which is way back in 2003!

Nothing has come close to X2 in creating little scenes, moments and interactions to give the characters personality and meaning. Is it really that difficult for the filmmakers to do this?

Dougherty and Harris came back for X:A where they have a story credit but clearly they didn't craft any detailed moments this time.

The only characters in X2 to get no development were Deathstryke and Jason. No one expected much more from Colossus in that introduction.

After what Kinberg did in X:A (and also in X3), is it any wonder people fear the worst for Dark Phoenix?

What about the others? .

It only took 18 years to put Jean in a central role. I doubt Cyclops' role here is more substantial than in X1. He's gonna play as Jean's boyfriend but I doubt there would be more than that. While Beast's role, I doubt his role would as good as his role in X3.

Nothing has come close to X2 in creating little scenes, moments and interactions to give the characters personality and meaning. Is it really that difficult for the filmmakers to do this?

Dougherty and Harris came back for X:A where they have a story credit but clearly they didn't craft any detailed moments this time.

The only characters in X2 to get no development were Deathstryke and Jason. No one expected much more from Colossus in that introduction.

After what Kinberg did in X:A (and also in X3), is it any wonder people fear the worst for Dark Phoenix?

X2 was awesome. Even though Dofp and Fc were great as well, X2 got the ensemble part better.

So, Storm's role in Dark Phoenix is a background character.

Wonder if she gets any lines?

From memory, her dialogue in X:A consisted of:

"She's my hero" (pointing to Mystique poster)

"What are you doing?" (to Apocalypse when he gives her the white hair)

"Me too" (at the end when the mansion is being rebuilt and Quicksilver says he will stick around)

Yeah it's unfortunate. I hope if that rumor is true it's exaggerated. I want her (all of the X-Men) to be shown to have a special/key connection with Jean.

Nightcrawler and Storm being background characters already rules out that this could be one of the definitive X-Men films. Most likely, it would just center on 3-5 characters. Even in X3, they managed to give Rogue, Iceman and Kitty a side story. Aside from Jessica's character, it seems like the other new characters are just really small roles which makes it even more less Xciting.

The lack or promotion worries me.. a movie like this should be marketed at least a year in advance. You have to create hype waaay early!

Most people i speak dont even know theres an new Xmen movie on the way!

For example WW2 is already selling it and it comes in a year and a half!
The only movies i remember having great promotion from Fox Marvel is XMen days of.. and both Deadpools!

The lack or promotion worries me.. a movie like this should be marketed at least a year in advance. You have to create hype waaay early!

The only movies i remember having great promotion from Fox Marvel is XMen days of.. and both Deadpools!

There's absolutely no hype for Dark PhoeniX! When people talk about, it is usually negative. Even Shazam already have more promo than this.

A lot of films don't start until closer to release. Also they had a spread last year of photos. Same way that WW is doing it. X-Men films have always been super secretive moreso than a lot of other franchises like MCU/DCEU. This is just par for the course.

actually thats false the promotion for Dark Phoenix started in December. This is earlier than aquaman, venom, and Antman and the Wasp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"