Dark Phoenix X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - - - Part 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
its just ****** storytelling to me. We, the adult audience, arent that stupid to not think about this issue. Kinberg problaly thought we wouldnt notice. its just so lame, man

If you are literally gonna be destroying cites with villains there has to be some of that.

As far as disaster/end of the world flicks one of the most tense and terrifying films I remember seeing was War Of The Worlds. What I thought was really crazy was how well Spielberg handled it within a secluded area or just going full on epic with people being taken out one by one in a city. The way we follow Cruises character running from a Tripod is always how I imagined bringing a full scale Sentinel vs Mutants scene would be. But the same kind of terror on the world should have been present with Apocalypse and his horsemen.

The city damage itself just makes you numb as we have seen that time and time again. Just destruction nonsense.

Last edited:
Weightless is the exact term I would use to describe Apocalypse due to the lack of emotional impact considering the level of damage shown on screen which is the total opposite of what they should strive for in Dark Phoenix. Have its events actually mean something for the characters and the audience.

Also, I hope they utilize the 90’s setting as well. FC and DOFP were clever in integrating the Cuban Missile Crisis and the Paris Peace Accords in their plots. Compare that to Apocalypse which, setting that small Return of the Jedi scene aside, could have very well taken place a day after DOFP. Having the Dark Phoenix plot work within the 90’s setting would justify the time jump regardless of how ridiculous it is that everyone has barely aged.

Last edited:
If you are literally gonna be destroying cites with villains there has to be some of that.

As far as disaster/end of the world flicks one of the most tense and terrifying films I remember seeing was War Of The Worlds. What I thought was really crazy was how well Spielberg handled it within a secluded area or just going full on epic with people being taken out one by one in a city. The way we follow Cruises character running from a Tripod is always how I imagined bringing a full scale Sentinel vs Mutants scene would be. But the same kind of terror on the world should have been present with Apocalypse and his horsemen.

The city damage itself just makes you numb as we have seen that time and time again. Just destruction nonsense.

This. I agree completely.

what they picked and showed just asks more questions of how many lives were lost. The damage was catastrophic. If they didn't't feel comfortable with that stuff maybe don't go that route.

Well they didn't really show much at all. so its probably left very much up to the imagination and i guess to Bryan no one or barely anyone got hurt since they were "careful" or selective with how they did the destruction.

If it was Michael Bay or Zack Snyder and not Bryan Singer maybe then it would have been nuts.

Funny enough though it looks like what Bryan did with Apocalypse was basically the same thing he was gonna do with his X3 since the concept art for his X3 looks about the same as how he did the destruction in Apocalypse (aka rubble being pulled up into the sky like a burst Fire hydrant)

Last edited:

nailed it.
I dont remember exactly my reactions when I watched that movie, it was a very long time ago, Im not even sure I saw it in full, but I remember some bits, and yeah, you get really scared and tense watching those type of attacks. Thats what great filmakers to, have you on the edge of your set and 'feeling' the destruction and really caring about the characters and people dying.

I didnt feel any of that with Apocalypse. Kinberg script is just poor to hell and Bryan is mediocre when he is not pasionate. I didnt really feel that much of Dofp, to be honest, its hard to explain, but at least in the intro, I think the music in that scened ruined it for me. I know it wasnt the ultimate end of those mutatns, because the movie erased that first scene, having them all alive minutes later, but still...... I still cant feel Singer's action 100%. Something is always off to me, whether the scoop, the characters, the action itself or the editing. I dont buy it 100%.

and that XMA scene of Magneto destroying the world is probably one of the worst destruction scenes Ive ever seeing in this genre. I felt nothing. Boring as hell. It was just pointless.

nailed it.
I dont remember exactly my reactions when I watched that movie, it was a very long time ago, Im not even sure I saw it in full, but I remember some bits, and yeah, you get really scared and tense watching those type of attacks. Thats what great filmakers to, have you on the edge of your set and 'feeling' the destruction and really caring about the characters and people dying.

I didnt feel any of that with Apocalypse. Kinberg script is just poor to hell and Bryan is mediocre when he is not pasionate. I didnt really feel that much of Dofp, to be honest, its hard to explain, but at least in the intro, I think the music in that scened ruined it for me. I know it wasnt the ultimate end of those mutatns, because the movie erased that first scene, having them all alive minutes later, but still...... I still cant feel Singer's action 100%. Something is always off to me, whether the scoop, the characters, the action itself or the editing. I dont buy it 100%.

and that XMA scene of Magneto destroying the world is probably one of the worst destruction scenes Ive ever seeing in this genre. I felt nothing. Boring as hell. It was just pointless.

What def28 said was spot on and I mostly agree with you except for with DOFP. I did think the opening and the end fight were great. Of course I wanted more, but what was actually show on screen of the future world was insane to me on first viewing. I love the slow mo shot of Iceman and Kitty passing by each other. Cutting out Rogue was the real problem for me because the movie just drags in the past, ad you don't get that added emotion between Rogue, Kitty, and Iceman that I think was actually really well done in that cut. On top of that there is Prof. X being a badass, and Magneto making up for what he did to Rogue in X1. It puts a button on the series so much better. All of this required the context of the other films, and it's easy to imagine the stupid logic those Fox execs had by cutting it...

I enjoyed DoFP VERY much.
I wasn’t one of those who really loved FC, I thought it was OK, but understood and respected others who loved it.
I felt Apocalypse was a disappointment.

That said, I admit I own all of them at home, just because.

I felt Logan was a great way to bookend the FoX-verse as that movie was so strong and would be the perfect “period” at the end of that sentence especially after Apocalypse, but hopefully Dark Phoenix is closer to DoFP and not at all like Apocalypse.

I watched Logan again last night and it's way too good. Watched DOFP the night before and it's also very good.

The thing about Fox is when they get it right, they can make some of the best comic book movies. Hoping this is one of those films that does get it right.

Edited to say: Now that I think about it a lot of my favorite comic book films have been released by Fox.

Last edited:
I enjoyed DoFP VERY much.
I wasn’t one of those who really loved FC, I thought it was OK, but understood and respected others who loved it.
I felt Apocalypse was a disappointment.

That said, I admit I own all of them at home, just because.

I felt Logan was a great way to bookend the FoX-verse as that movie was so strong and would be the perfect “period” at the end of that sentence especially after Apocalypse, but hopefully Dark Phoenix is closer to DoFP and not at all like Apocalypse.

It would be closer to Apocalypse. Not counting Deadpool 2, it's a shame that this series is ending with whimpers like Dark PhoeniX and The New Mutants.

But you haven't even...never mind. Lol

It would be closer to Apocalypse. Not counting Deadpool 2, it's a shame that this series is ending with whimpers like Dark PhoeniX and The New Mutants.

Before Disney runs it through a meat grinder? Biggest mistake Fox did on their part.

That's it! I don't care if this movie is coming out in September 2022 and will only be available on VHS and Sega Genesis, they already have one version of the movie done complete with special effects, I want a trailer (teaser, ad, vine video), I don't care about how FOX handles the public's scrutiny, I don't care if it's not wise to release a trailer when the movie is still almost a year away, I don't care that they want to release it on Comic-Con, Wonder Con, D-23 (if the deal happens), I WANT A TRAILER NOW, this is starting to get absurdly ridiculous, and I think we as the fans who are going to watch this thing no matter if Jennifer Lawrence ends up directing it and not appearing herself deserve it.

That's it! I don't care if this movie is coming out in September 2022 and will only be available on VHS and Sega Genesis, they already have one version of the movie done complete with special effects, I want a trailer (teaser, ad, vine video), I don't care about how FOX handles the public's scrutiny, I don't care if it's not wise to release a trailer when the movie is still almost a year away, I don't care that they want to release it on Comic-Con, Wonder Con, D-23 (if the deal happens), I WANT A TRAILER NOW, this is starting to get absurdly ridiculous, and I think we as the fans who are going to watch this thing no matter if Jennifer Lawrence ends up directing it and not appearing herself deserve it.

Is this serious or a joke? lol

Just re-read X-Cutioner's Song. Man, amazing how X-Men went so downhill after that in the 90s. That was like a gasp, saying its okay that Claremont's gone! Maybe Deadpool 2 will be like that gasp, maybe Dark Phoenix will be Fatal Attractions. Here's hoping it isn't.

The movie definitely should come out in November so it can come and go. Delaying it will just make the fallout messier if it's a bad movie.

X-Men Dark Phoenix may not even be the last film Fox produces.

X-Force was said to be filming this October

Not counting New Mutants.

Last edited:
But you haven't even...never mind. Lol

I never claimed that I saw the movie... That is why I said it WOULD be closer to Apocalypse... I didn't say it will. Its a freaking prediction. And given who's attached to write and direct, that's not uneducated prediction.

You probably think Dark Phoenix is going to be great...but you haven't even... Lol.:o

X-Men Dark Phoenix may not even be the last film Fox produces.

X-Force was said to be filming this October

Not counting New Mutants.

You mean you read a report in October about production gearing up or it was actually filming in October? I say Fox should go all in on X-Force and include the X-men in that movie if they won't have time to make another X-Men, assuming Dark Phoenix doesn't put a cap on the series. I want this series to have a great ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"