Dark Phoenix X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - - Part 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think even JLaw would disagree with you there. She doesn't seem to think highly of her work in this franchise

I don't hate her for any of that. She signed on to this franchise before she won her Best Actress award for Winter's Bone, and she's not a comic nerd like us so she gets a pass for being pretty indifferent about the character. At least she came back for this next one, something she didn't have to do. I definitely would have missed Mystique's presence given the last 3 films had her character take a whole new path in life. Now this time I want to see that realized more. She really didn't do anything in Apocalypse other than giving a vaguely mother hen vibe. I'd like to see her arc end in a satisfying way that kind of makes up for the last film. I think Mystique being a hero in this timeline should end with her sacrificing herself, and not just being a casualty of the Dark Phoenix.

Last edited:
8 weeks of reshoots is a lot. If its true, that can't be just for the final act. Could be for the entire film.

No, it couldn’t be. We don’t even know that they’re actually reshooting for 8 weeks. And if they are, it’s likely to accommodate to busy actors’ schedules. I have never heard of a film that’s been entirely rewritten and reshot after it had been mostly completed.

Justice League is notorious for it’s extreme reshoots, but even then, a LOT of what was originally shot was still used in the final product.

No, it couldn’t be. We don’t even know that they’re actually reshooting for 8 weeks. And if they are, it’s likely to accommodate to busy actors’ schedules. I have never heard of a film that’s been entirely rewritten and reshot after it had been mostly completed.

Justice League is notorious for it’s extreme reshoots, but even then, a LOT of what was originally shot was still used in the final product.

Superman II. They were shooting Superman: The Movie and Superman II back to back with Donner, then he had a falling out with the Salkinds. Superman II was about 85% finished, but Lester in order to get the credit for the film needed to reshoot enough so that the movie had over 50% of Lester filmed footage. Otherwise, Donner would have still got credit. Many of the scenes he filmed are similar to the Donner ones in some regards, but are entirely different overall and add other things.

But that Halle Berry, am I right? She’s just the bees knees!

No, she's far from the bees knees or a perfect Storm. I just used that gif as my avatar because I liked that scene in DoFP.

But Halle put more effort into her portrayal of Storm than J-Law ever has into Mystique.

Halle Berry being a bad Storm has absolutely nothing to do with JLaw being a horrible Mystique. Zero.

Ain't that the truth!

But there are people on here trying deflection and distraction tactics all the time.

Criticise the Fox films and they throw Disney into the argument out of nowhere. Criticise J-Law and suddenly Olsen and Berry get mentioned.

Clearly they know the main points - Fox is in a mess, J-Law is crap as Mystique - are inarguable.

Ain't that the truth!

But there are people on here trying deflection and distraction tactics all the time.

Criticise the Fox films and they throw Disney into the argument out of nowhere. Criticise J-Law and suddenly Olsen and Berry get mentioned.

Clearly they know the main points - Fox is in a mess, J-Law is crap as Mystique - are inarguable.

It's an acceptance of the point and complaining instead that it's unfair to focus on it (when others have been bad too) rather than trying to debate that she was good. There is NO other reason to bring any other performances into it. The J Law Mystique is the same whatever anyone has achieved or mucked up anywhere else.

Jlaw did a really good job in DOFP in my opinion.

But then that was the one that required her to show the most conflict, learn multiple lines in various languages and certain stunt work so maybe i am giving her more credit for Effort. especially for someone who its often said doesn't wanna be there.

Jlaw did a really good job in DOFP in my opinion.

But then that was the one that required her to show the most conflict, learn multiple lines in various languages and certain stunt work so maybe i am giving her more credit for Effort. especially for someone who its often said doesn't wanna be there.

It's definitely her best out of the 3, yeah.

I Love Jen Law in Dofp,only in Dofp.In FC and Apocalypse is not the real Mystique.

I wonder if CinemaCon will still show something for this, despite the delay.

She was the best in First Class. She was well cast as the innocent young sister who is transformed into a woman by a badboy (Mags). In DOFP she is tasked to be Romijin and mostly underwhelms. In Apocalypse she gives no ****s.

Ain't that the truth!

Eh, it’s more comparison than it is deflection. Berry and Lawrence both suffer from the same issue; they’re great actresses bogged down by lackluster writing that doesn’t do their characters (from the source material) justice. I think it’s important to acknowledge that they both had their moments, positive and negative.

She was the best in First Class. She was well cast as the innocent young sister who is transformed into a woman by a badboy (Mags). In DOFP she is tasked to be Romijin and mostly underwhelms. In Apocalypse she gives no ****s.
Agreed. You forgot to add that in Apocalypse she is tasked to be Katniss Everdeen.

There are parallels between X2 and DOFP, and the Paris scene where Mystique seduces the Vietnamese general is an obvious redo of the Bar scene in X2 where she seduces the prison guard. And the X2 scene is so much better. "A lot on your mind? Mr... Laurio?"

I remember being impressed on my first watch because Mystique actually spoke Vietnamese, until a lot of comments on Youtube pointed out the Vietnamese was unintelligible :funny: Singer thought he was slick and no one would notice.

Not as bad as the Korean scene from Panther. Actually Lupita spoke well. It was the Korean lady who was allegedly horrendous.

I am also one of those who think that JLaw’s best performance in this series was in DOFP. A total 180 degrees from the embarassment that was her “acting” in Apocalypse. Whatever her reason is for returning, I hope her presence is justified.

Anyway, I recently rewatched Apocalypse and what really felt odd was how claustrophobic the third act felt despite being set in Cairo. I know that Apocalypse obliterated the city to build his pyramid but I think we only got one or two shots of people running around and nothing else. The previous films never had to worry about civilans because their plots were able to justify having their action pieces isolated (Liberty Island, Alkali Lake, beach in Cuba, the hidden Chinese temple atop a mountain, and a stadium around the White House in DOFP). I hope that if Dark Phoenix decides to do a public spectacle, it won’t feel as if they were just playing inside a soundstage.

Apocalypse's third act was shot outside though, not a soundstage. Doesn't justify the low quality of the CGI but I just wanted to clear out that misconception.

Apocalypse's third act was shot outside though, not a soundstage. Doesn't justify the low quality of the CGI but I just wanted to clear out that misconception.

Oh I didn’t know that. Thanks for the clarification. I guess it’s more of a dig on the film’s part that I perceived the whole third act as being done inside a soundstage considering how artificial everything looked.

to me, one of the worst parts about Apocalypse and the script is how none adressed all the people that were killed in that final battle, in part thanks to Magneto.

the fact that Kinberg and Bryan went with it without any consequences just speak volume about their total lack of care and love for this property. and their obsession with Magneto, that whatever he does, there he will be in the next movie well and alive, like nothing happened in the previous movie, and once again heavily involved in the main plot.

a huge 'meh' from this creative team. and one of the reasons I cant support them anymore. added to the fact of them killing and dropping x-men righ and left movie after movie, without any love for them. I cant support a creative team that treats the x-men this way. They just dont deserve the fanbase support.

Apocalypse did feel pretty weightless and inconsequential. I didn’t feel anything during or after it. The three main deaths didn’t have an effect on me. It was irritating how easily and quickly the X-Men forgave Magneto for killing millions. Maybe they could work that into Magneto’s arc in DP, but I doubt it. I hope DP has a rich emotional impact similar to that of X2, FC and DoFP.

to me, one of the worst parts about Apocalypse and the script is how none adressed all the people that were killed in that final battle, in part thanks to Magneto.
They could've had humanity put Magneto on trial like in the comic. In fact this issue has enough meat for a feature length film.

And let's not forget Storm that was forgiven for being co-conspirator of a genocidal maniac.

Well they avoided showing people dying on purpose.

Quote from Simon Kinberg
We tried to keep it that the things that [Magneto] was destroying felt almost more like monuments or rooftops of buildings rather than a building toppling over and people dying. It’s one of the things that Bryan’s very sensitive to.

Bryan’s very sensitive to collateral damage. If you go back and watch the movie, it’s things like bridges ripping apart and cars floating up in the air, but you don’t see cars dive-bombing into the water. Shipping containers flying through the air, but they don’t smash into any bodies. The top of the Sydney Opera House ripping off, but the base of it remaining intact. We tried to be careful about that collateral damage. It’s something people are very critical about in other movies that we know about.

They did talk about Magneto going to prison at the end of apocalypse but felt that wasn't exactly rehabilitation after losing his family and being manipulated by apocalypse.

Last edited:
I imagine that was the intent but I don't fully buy that what they showed us is the extent of the damage Magneto caused. Was he picking and choosing what to destroy worldwide from Cairo? Was he careful not to target anything habited? He's not a telepath. It feels sloppy.

The whole film felt sloppy and yeah what they picked and showed just asks more questions of how many lives were lost. The damage was catastrophic. If they didn't't feel comfortable with that stuff maybe don't go that route.

Interesting that they sure don't have a problem showing the X-Men die over and over, be tortured or go through pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"