Dark Phoenix X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

I have many similar feelings/experience with this franchise.

Tho Id go ever further, saying I never was that in love with Dofp AND X2 lol.
To me X2 was a good movie, indeed, but I always felt it was so heavily focused on Logan and characters like Rogue and Cyclops were underused and not on par with their comics counterparts and all their potential (did everyone forget how most fans werent pleased with Rogue and Cyclops in the first trilogy? hell, even Storm had a lot of "haters". so basically Bryan failed to those three characters, even in Dofp (Storm poor role and Rogue directly cut from the movie, with her filmed scenes been the damsel in distress again!)

X3 was a huge mess and a heavy dissapointment to me. FC brought the excitement back, even if the x-men felt a bit underused again, but the new start had promise, but then.. once again the sequel destroyed all that potential, with Banshee killed, Havok in mostly a cameo role and Beast still obsessed with Mystique....
The rest of the franchise is known by all of us at this point.

So yeah, the franchise never reached its full potential since X2, even if the studio, Bryan and Kinberg kept adding more and more x-men to the movies........ to keep getting a mediocre/bad treatment.

So a big and sad "Thank u next"

I agree with most of that except for "FC brought the excitement back." :p It might be the best X-men movie (I personally don't know anyone of that opinion in real life) for some people who never fell in love with the world Bryan created on screen but excitement isn't the word I would describe First Class. Just looking at its low box office tally. They're definitely in the minority.

I would say what "brought the excitement back" was Days of Future Past, hearing the OT cast would reunite with their FC counterparts. Specifically the pre-production phase of DOFP up to and including the first weekend of that movie when it saw a 90+% Rottentomatoes score.

It really was a shame that even with all that excitement, even with that cast, even with those rave reviews, even with that stellar release date, a best reviewed X-men movie could only muster up $90 opening weekend.

Last edited:
I agree with most of that except for "FC brought the excitement back." :p It might be the best X-men movie for some people (I personally don't know anyone of that opinion in real life) who never fell in love with the world Bryan created on screen but excitement isn't the word I would describe it, just looking at its low box office tally. They're definitely in the minority.

I would say what "brought the excitement back" was the pre-production phase of DOFP, hearing the OT cast would reunite with their FC counterparts.

I liked FC, but at the same time that the X-Men franchise was doing a relatively low cost prequel, Feige and company were building toward the Avengers within the MCU. There was a tremendous discrepancy in my excitement level regarding what was going on in the two franchises.

And while it was nice to see the old gang back together with DOFP, the problems that would continue to plague the Kinberg-verse were all there - a continuity killing decade time jump, awful costumes, popular characters relegated to mute cannon fodder, an inexplicable Magneto heel turn, and Mystique elevated to the level of Uber Mutant.

I would say the franchise was doomed once Fox decided to go backward instead of moving forward with X4 under a new creative team.

I agree with most of that except for "FC brought the excitement back." :p It might be the best X-men movie (I personally don't know anyone of that opinion in real life) for some people who never fell in love with the world Bryan created on screen but excitement isn't the word I would describe First Class. Just looking at its low box office tally. They're definitely in the minority.

I would say what "brought the excitement back" was Days of Future Past, hearing the OT cast would reunite with their FC counterparts. Specifically the pre-production phase of DOFP up to and including the first weekend of that movie when it saw a 90+% Rottentomatoes score.

It really was a shame that even with all that excitement, even with that cast, even with those rave reviews, even with that stellar release date, a best reviewed X-men movie could only muster up $90 opening weekend.
Not enough ot cast in the marketing. I imagine if the First Class cast wasn't in the movie and we got Cyclops, Jean, Storm, Rogue got a bigger role and they included new draws for the franchise (that isn't Jennifer Lawrence), it could have performed bigger.

I also think three spin offs after X3, didn't help. There was no big build up to Days of Future Past aside from The Wolverine's mid credit scene.

I’m sorry can someone please if you have information what was part two of this movie supposed to be about? I guess I am wondering because if Jean flew into space to stop the invasion and from the original ending We see her in space then what would the second movie be about?

Didn't know where to post this. Who asked for this?

:loco:

''We can't get Bryan Singer in for a Q&A because he's a creep and nobody cares about the movie that Simon actually directed because it's a pile of dung.''

It's IGN too, which is icing on the cake.

Based on the commentary of the blu ray you can tell Ottman was more involved in that movie's final form than absentee Singer and hack Kinberg.

''We can't get Bryan Singer in for a Q&A because he's a creep and nobody cares about the movie that Simon actually directed because it's a pile of dung.''

It's IGN too, which is icing on the cake.

Word is that Simon directed a decent chunk of DFP and Apocalypse because Singer would turn up missing.

A lot of actors/directors are doing these live watch party Q&A things, but it is definitely a little odd to have Kinberg instead of Singer, but I guess it’s understandable. Must feel like a bit of a slap in the face though for him that they’re doing it for DOFP and not DP

Word is that Simon directed a decent chunk of DFP and Apocalypse because Singer would turn up missing.
LOL I can tell you that's not true. The "Simon directed a decent chunk" part.

Last edited:
Based on the commentary of the blu ray you can tell Ottman was more involved in that movie's final form than absentee Singer and hack Kinberg.

Fox probably had someone from catering direct while Singer went AWOL.

A lot of actors/directors are doing these live watch party Q&A things, but it is definitely a little odd to have Kinberg instead of Singer, but I guess it’s understandable. Must feel like a bit of a slap in the face though for him that they’re doing it for DOFP and not DP
I think it's more to do with DOFP's anniversary (it came out Memorial Day weekend) than getting a film for Kinberg to do live commentary on. It's just unfortunate there was no one else they asked.

I know John. They didn't ask him...

I believe Singer went missing a few times on Apocalypse but never heard anything about him doing it for DOFP.

I think it's more to do with DOFP's anniversary (it came out Memorial Day weekend) than getting a film for Kinberg to do live commentary on. It's just unfortunate there was no one else they asked.

I know John. They didn't ask him...
Ah, okay. That makes sense, then.

Yeah, John would have been a great person to have do this Q&A. I feel like it would be...I don’t know... less BS talk, if that makes sense.

Ha, Kinberg answered two of my questions. The one regarding Emma Frost and the one near the end of the Q&A asking about what the story would have been had they continued with the original cast.

Still mystifies me why Simon Kinberg was given so much free reign with X-Men and Fox's Marvel properties over the years.

Just rewatched this film.

I gave this one a second look. Honestly, it's not a particularly good film but actually isn't terrible - in fact, it's not as bad as Apocalypse.

As a kid I loved the Dark Phoenix storyline, and as far as adaptation so this fails, but overall it's still mildly entertaining. True Sophie Turner is very bland as are most of the XMen, the X suits look like bad cosplay, there's a ton of stuff that makes no sense ( like the X phone to the President and X men space rescue missions) but I thought MacAvoy actually made Xavier a bit more complicated and has a bit of an arc.

One thing is for sure the film got a lot better after Jennifer Lawrence dies. I feel a bit sorry for Nick Hoult, who's a much better actor than he's allowed to be here( and a really nice guy, I met him back in 2019). So maybe it's better after a second look. Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"