Dark Phoenix X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - - - - - Part 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
source? Is this on the internet somewhere. I don't remember there being a December test screening.

There have many test screenings. Some were just for people at the studio, and their families/friends.

The only ones mentioned on the internet were the much later test screenings to which members of the public were invited.

source? Is this on the internet somewhere. I don't remember there being a December test screening.

its not on the net, its private talk. but there was a screening in december. a twitter/movie site reporter confirmed it on his account (dont remember what reporter exactly)

Still calling it Dark Phoenix will be a surprise. The movie is in an "underdog" status. Best to surprise fans with something they didn't expect and then reap (they hope) positive press. Again it all depends on the quality of what they bring, and the overall movie, of course.

Hoping for the best but expecting the worst, are you going to drop the bomb or not?

I'll be surprised if people actually watch the film. I don't know why Fox continue to produce films like Alien and Predator. I don't think there's enough public interest.

Basically, in terms of franchises Avatar and the X-Men are the only film franchises they have left. Even if Kingsman gets a sequel, I doubt it would go beyond the trilogy routine. While Alita seems to be that 1 and done sci fi film. There's also that Poirot films which I'm interested to follow but its not exactly a studio defining franchise.

This is why its gonna be interesting once Disney controls Fox. Despite being called a Fox hater, I love many Fox films from the past, compare to other studios, a lot of the films that I own/seen are mostly from Fox. Like in terms of quantity, I have seen more films from Fox than Disney/WB.

Fox continuing being Fox. I doubt the new Predator film would do better than the last Kingsman and Prometheus film. Then they only got Alita in terms of action sci films. While the Darkest Minds is hardly on anyone's radar.

Though not surprised if Dark Phoenix is a no show.

Xmen are no longer a priority for Fox, neither its special. its just another franchise, with "those mutants or something".

No surprise their mainline movies havent reached all its potential, or other superhero numbers. if a studio dont see their product as a big deal, the general audience wont see it either.

logical consequence. less love from the studio, less passion, less hype, less numbers. its pretty simple actually.

this thread becomes more comical every day

Xmen are no longer a priority for Fox, neither its special. its just another franchise, with "those mutants or something".

No surprise their mainline movies havent reached all its potential, or other superhero numbers. if a studio dont see their product as a big deal, the general audience wont see it either.

logical consequence. less love from the studio, less passion, less hype, less numbers. its pretty simple actually.

That should change soon!

To whom it may concern: it's really disgusting to see all the negative banter on a movie that we have yet to see a trailer for. Was it like this before days of future past came out???? I can't remember...yes x-men Apoc is not a good movie, I totally agree but I feel like they made apoc for about fan servicing and not about characters and story. They know there mistake and they are trying to right that wrong with Dark Phoenix...like someone said earlier l, anything negative you hear about dark Phoenix y'all believe it, anything positive about dark Phoenix y'all discredit the source or the person....

Based on what I found: This was back in March
I know people who go to test screenings here in LA. Warner tested Godzilla 2 on their lot in Burbank last night at 6. Fox is testing Dark Phoenix (AGAIN) tomorrow at 7 on their lot. This is the second Dark Phoenix test in a month as the last was on Feb 8th, which means it's probably a new cut.

One person I know who went to the February Dark Phoenix test has someone who went to Godzilla last night. The source I know who went to Aquaman the other week is going to Dark Phoenix tomorrow.
Obviously the visual effects work (and presumably the score) were unfinished or nonexistent at this stage of these screenings. Usually these type of screenings are used for editing and pacing and determining what the audience response to as they don't want to finalize too many effects if they need to make any major changes to any particular scene or sequence. Probably kept major twist details private from public screenings. They were likely going through different cuts of the film to see what received the best response which would explain 1) the different test screening reactions (if you remember one screening had positive reactions) and 2) conflicting leaked info on certain characters or plot points. Different cuts.

That's why I don't put much stock in leaked test screening plot details because there's no telling what cuts from the multiple screenings they will go with....not to mention how much of a change to the edited cut there will be with the added four weeks of reshoots....and then to see the final visual effects completed which could completely change the look of what the early test screenings put in as placeholders. Everyone keeps referencing the anonymous non-viewer reddit "leak" which wasn't even based on the latest screening (which presumably made changes from the previous one).

Last edited:
To whom it may concern: it's really disgusting to see all the negative banter on a movie that we have yet to see a trailer for. Was it like this before days of future past came out???? I can't remember...yes x-men Apoc is not a good movie, I totally agree but I feel like they made apoc for about fan servicing and not about characters and story. They know there mistake and they are trying to right that wrong with Dark Phoenix...like someone said earlier l, anything negative you hear about dark Phoenix y'all believe it, anything positive about dark Phoenix y'all discredit the source or the person....
I remember with Days of Future Past, people were really negative about Quicksilver's look thinking he would be the worst part of the movie. There were also complaints about the redesigned look of the sentinels before the movie came out as well.

I remember with Days of Future Past, people were really negative about Quicksilver's look thinking he would be the worst part of the movie. There were also complaints about the redesigned look of the sentinels before the movie came out as well.

Things like that are always funny in retrospect.

Fan service? If there's one thing the fans have been asking is substantial roles for the other characters. That's the number 1 complaint here. Apocalypse didn't deliver any fan service whatsover, unless you're counting superficial things like Storm's mohawk, Psylocke's costume or a Dazzler easter egg.

The major problem people have here is with the vision that FOX has of the X-Men, which doesn't seem to be changing at all. We're back at the "grounded take", back with the writer of X3, Fant4stic and Apocalypse, back with major stars playing unwanted characters in unwanted big roles and little to none infos on the beloved and iconic X-Men characters.

If after 18 years you still have hope this will be the game changing movie that will change drastically the vision of the X-Men and put the team in the actual center, instead of neglecting them to prioritize the major stars, that's fine. But it's not hard to understand the frustration and the lack of faith or hope in this.

The characters turned out ok, but that still doesn't change how awful he looks. And the fact that the character turned out to be fun to watch, that doesn't discredit the criticism on how awful he looks. Those movies are huge blockbuster and they could very well hire more talented people to make the movie look more polished. Costume designs, hair and makeup, VFX are all also part of filmmaking.

Fan service interms of making the a grand ole opry...yes incorporating the stupid little stuff .. mohwake etc...I said they tried to make it fan service, I didn't say they succeeded..it was lackluster I agree..but these are the same people that made days of future past ..so there is a silver lining..and I actually enjoyed X3 very much..
My thing is I can understand not liking quicksilvers look because you judged it by actually seeing it..where as we have seen little to nothing from this movie and it's like all doom and gloom! Now when the trailer drops and it looks horrible ok then it can can be doom and gloom... this forum should be called the kinberg:j-law/Fox hatefest!!! It gets very annoying..if you don't like what you see and who is involved then just don't go see the movie or talk about it atleast not with us.

Oh. By the way I love from Louisville ky I went to to the same high school as j-law and I work a few miles from where her parents live!! Yes I'm not crazy about j-law playing mystique but she is one of the top tier actressses in Hollywood for Christ sake..that's not a bad thing. If some other actress was playing mystique and j-law expressed interest in playing raven y'all would blow loads on yourself to that idea!!!!! Admit it..I'm been lurking on this forum for 2 years now and I had to get this off my chest....but yet y'all love anything deadpool does as if it's not some of the same people behind the movies

The characters turned out ok, but that still doesn't change how awful he looks. And the fact that the character turned out to be fun to watch, that doesn't discredit the criticism on how awful he looks. Those movies are huge blockbuster and they could very well hire more talented people to make the movie look more polished. Costume designs, hair and makeup, VFX are all also part of filmmaking.
Production design (look and feel of the movie which includes creating the initial concepts, building sets, fabricating costumes, developing makeup effects, and working with the VFX team).....are all based on the director's vision. Everything is approved by the director. So it isn't a matter of hired artists not being talented enough or numerous enough, but rather how the director envisions the look of the movie and translate that to the production design team who all take their cues from the director.

Quicksilver's look in both Days of Future Past and Apocalypse is exactly the way Bryan Singer wanted him to look.

Last edited:
My thing is I can understand not liking quicksilvers look because you judged it by actually seeing it..where as we have seen little to nothing from this movie and it's like all doom and gloom! Now when the trailer drops and it looks horrible ok then it can can be doom and gloom...

Out of 8 movies he wrote, 6 are absolutely awful. And there is 18 years of a franchise and, as I said before, the major problem here is with their vision. And the informations we do have about the movie does not show sign of meaningful change.

this forum should be called the kinberg:j-law/Fox hatefest!!! It gets very annoying..if you don't like what you see and who is involved then just don't go see the movie or talk about it atleast not with us.

Well that's probably where you get things wrong. People are not talking about the X-Men movies here because of who's directing. People are talking about it because they they love and care deeply about the characters. People are involved in those discussions because of the characters involved in the movies. And this is a discussion forum, people are allowed to express how they feel about it, even if you disagree with them. If it's annoying, the ignore button has been mentioned here many times before and it's a much more mature decision than trying to control if people should or not post how they feel about the movie.

If some other actress was playing mystique and j-law expressed interest in playing raven y'all would blow loads on yourself to that idea!!!!! Admit it.

Hmmm... no. Natalie Portman is another top actress and I think people wouldn't be very excited about her playing Emma Frost, unlike Charlize Theron.

Production design (look and feel of the movie which includes creating the initial concepts, building sets, fabricating costumes, developing makeup effects, and working with the VFX team).....are all based on the director's vision. Everything is approved by the director. So it isn't a matter of hired artists not being talented enough or numerous enough, but rather how the director envisions the look of the movie and translate that to the production design team who all take their cues from the director.

Quicksilver's look in both Days of Future Past and Apocalypse is exactly the way Bryan Singer wanted him to look.

Really? Cool.

My point remains the same. The fact that the character turned out fun doesn't discredit any criticism towards how awful he looks. And that those huge blockbuster movies could very well look more polished.

Really? Cool.

My point remains the same. The fact that the character turned out fun doesn't discredit any criticism towards how awful he looks. And that those huge blockbuster movies could very well look more polished.
Well, take it up with the director. That's Singer's method in approaching the look for those x-movies. Sometimes he handles VFX well...sometimes he doesn't.....given the look of some of his other films involving visual effects and the way he utilizes them.

Last edited:
My thing is I can understand not liking quicksilvers look because you judged it by actually seeing it..where as we have seen little to nothing from this movie and it's like all doom and gloom! Now when the trailer drops and it looks horrible ok then it can can be doom and gloom... this forum should be called the kinberg:j-law/Fox hatefest!!! It gets very annoying..if you don't like what you see and who is involved then just don't go see the movie or talk about it atleast not with us.

Oh boy...

Some people hate Kinberg because he has been involved in some of the worst Fox Marvel films and yet still gets second, third, fourth chances.

Some people hate JLaw as she has said things about the franchise that doesn't sit well with fans, joking or not. Her performances have also not been up to par with what people feel she's capable of.

Now if you disagree with any of the above and "if you don't like what you see" then let's hear your counter argument. We are all passionate X-men fans here, why are you telling X-men fans not to watch an X-men movie? Why are you telling people what to do with their own money? Why are you telling members of a discussion forum what they can or can't talk about?

That said, and I think more importantly, no one's forcing you to read any of the posts you find annoying.

Last edited:
We just want decent xmen films as fans, because we're X-Men fans, not fans of famous faces like Lawrence's. I'm personally no longer watching her stuff, I stopped at Catching Fire and XMen because I am not convinced at all by her work ethics now.

We're gonna keep getting cookie-cutter hollywood films selling us famous faces, bad lines, bad storytelling and a half-assed Xmen Universe unless we complain.

I personally plan to boycott Dark Phoenix, at least until Fox announces they'll be making a decent X-Men film with a mature team of superheroes and set in the present tense. We've been waiting for it ever since X2 in 2003, that's 15 years of b.s.

And for the record, nobody is posting anything inappropriate for the forums, and that would be up to the mods to decide not other users.

I personally plan to boycott Dark Phoenix, at least until Fox announces they'll be making a decent X-Men film with a mature team of superheroes and set in the present tense. We've been waiting for it ever since X2 in 2003, that's 15 years of b.s.

15 years of bs. Boycotting. Yada yada. A group of 20 somethings set in the past can make a decent X-Men film.

Well that's probably where you get things wrong. People are not talking about the X-Men movies here because of who's directing. People are talking about it because they they love and care deeply about the characters. People are involved in those discussions because of the characters involved in the movies.

Hear, hear!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back