X-Men - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what allows the X-Men to keep aging so well is that the Original 5 were only 14-19 when they first started. They don't feel "too old" now that they're circling 30. And in that time, the New Mutants and Kitty were all allowed to hit their 20's. And if the X-Men were in their own little bubble of the Marvel Universe, I could see them all aging a lot more in the future.

However, because Marvel wants to keep Spider-Man feeling like a hip young 20-something forever and they wouldn't dare let Franklin Richards hit puberty, you can see everyone's aging process slowing down. It's all well and good for some of the older characters to become middle aged (I think Bruce Banner has an adult daughter running around out there), but they're holding everyone back for the sake of a handful of characters they're uncomfortable aging.

See and I really don't understand Marvel's POV on this

I started reading X-Men at 7 years old, and my assumption at the time was that Cyclops and Jean and Beast, as well as Cap, Spidey, Iron Man and the F4, were all in their lower to mid-30's. Cyclops especially I always had set in my mind at 35. Gambit, Rogue and the younger X-men I assumed were in their early 20's, then you had Gen X a couple years later who were teenagers.
I didn't want to read about kids getting superpowers, I liked that they were cool older people who I could aspire to someday be. If I were a teenager reading about teenage superheroes, I'd just get all pissed off that theyre not written realistically, and wishing I had powers.
I liked the older character's maturity and nobility, as well as the adult relationships they were involved in. Hell, I liked my superheroes having kids.

So why Marvel assumes kids will only want to read about a young Spidey, or teen Nova, or any other kid group, just doesn't make sense. Kids will read about older characters without blinking, as long as it's marketed to them well.

CC's idea for Jean/Logan is utterly stupid, and definitely wasn't his original intention at all.

I liked how CC, back when he was good, actually had Logan move on from Jean to have a romance with Mariko.

Has anyone read his X-Men Forever series? I am trying to decide if I ever want to check it out. I keep saying I want to buy this trade and that trade, but never do, but I am wondering if this is series is one I should add to consideration.

I remember Phaedrus45 liked it a lot but he's the only one who read it that I recall.

Has anyone read his X-Men Forever series? I am trying to decide if I ever want to check it out. I keep saying I want to buy this trade and that trade, but never do, but I am wondering if this is series is one I should add to consideration.
I stopped after issue 9 or so. I suppose it's fine if you're a diehard Claremont fan, but I like reading the X-Men and how they were portrayed through the 90s and up til today, so I don't care to read how Claremont's version differs. And to me it felt like he was rushing to show you just how different he planned it to be because in 9 issues there were like 10 major changes to character and the status quo of the book. He just dropped all these changes on you and it didn't feel natural.

I just read Claremont's stories where the X-Men, the New Mutants, and Alpha Flight crossover with Asgard and Loki. It was... okayish. The New Mutants were all really annoying back in the day. Claremont cranked the soap opera dial up to 11, it seems. I don't know if I would've been able to stand his run as the head of basically all things X-Men back then. Nice to finally see just how the hell Dani Moonstar became a Valkyrie, though. That was something that always bugged me, but the way it happens actually made it pretty cool.

In all my years of X-Men reading, I've probably read 95% of all X-Related comics. New Mutants, however, is a big part of that 5%. I've read it hit and miss but haven't read large chunks of it. What I have read, I wasn't impressed with. The Asgard storyline is one I've not read.

I stopped after issue 9 or so. I suppose it's fine if you're a diehard Claremont fan, but I like reading the X-Men and how they were portrayed through the 90s and up til today, so I don't care to read how Claremont's version differs. And to me it felt like he was rushing to show you just how different he planned it to be because in 9 issues there were like 10 major changes to character and the status quo of the book. He just dropped all these changes on you and it didn't feel natural.

I love the 90s X-books. In fact, those are some of my favorite comics ever. I actually haven't read all that much Claremont stuff outside of some of the major events such as Dark Phoenix and DOFP. I'm really just more curious, since I like alternate reality stuff as well, such as AoA.

Its pretty funny reading Claremont's older stuff like giant sized X-Men and New Mutants now. Dani Moonstar and Thunderbird both were written like native american caricatures all 'I don't trust the white man towards Charles Xavier'.

X-Factor ending with issue #262 in September.

And it's NOT because of the stroke, he clarifies. He's got another project already in the works, and it's not out of the question for the series to be relaunched. Something else not in the article, when they made the announcement at the panel, there was a video message from PAD that played, which had his daughter in the background crying because he cancelled X-Factor and it's her favorite.

Last edited:
Im actually surprised it lasted as long as it did since it was usually pretty low in sales and only got lower post-Now launches. Id be all for it going back to its old concept of being a government sponsored team with a new lineup. Hopefully this means that the characters will at least make their way elsewhere as I hated how they were locked into X-factor. Im specifically looking at M and Polaris

Husk is free from Wolverine & the X-Men, Chamber never really started in Adjectiveless X-Men or X-Men Legacy, and if M is now free (and Banshee is coming back as a dead guy in Uncanny Avengers) maybe we can get a Generation X reunion now :)

Yeah, I know :(

X-Factor ending with issue #262 in September.

And it's NOT because of the stroke, he clarifies. He's got another project already in the works, and it's not out of the question for the series to be relaunched. Something else not in the article, when they made the announcement at the panel, there was a video message from PAD that played, which had his daughter in the background crying because he cancelled X-Factor and it's her favorite.
Yeah, we'll I'll be crying too. :( It's been one of the few consistently good books in the lineup. I don't know if anyone else can write the book as well as PAD did.

So how many issues did it last for? It switched to the original numbering at 50, right? So that's well over 100....112 to be exact. That's unheard of in this day and age. :up:

While I got burnt out on the title, you have to respect a run that long. I'll definately be skimming some of those last issues. I hope the characters find good homes after this. I'd love to see someone like Shatterstar on Scott's X-Men team, or M on a new Generation X book (they did say over the weekend that there will be new X-Books in the second wave of NOW). Aaron did say that there were plans for Husk after she left Wolverine & the X-Men, and in an interview this week someone mentioned that Bachelo asks about a future Gen X project all the time, loving the characters he co-created. That's actually one book I'd welcome Bachelo to.

Last edited:
While I got burnt out on the title, you have to respect a run that long. I'll definately be skimming some of those last issues. I hope the characters find good homes after this. I'd love to see someone like Shatterstar on Scott's X-Men team, or M on a new Generation X book (they did say over the weekend that there will be new X-Books in the second wave of NOW).
I suspect Shatterstar will end up doing the big fade...because he is one of my favorites, and bad things tend to happen to the ones I like. :(

Since there doesn't seem to be any talk going on about this, Marvel's unveiled quite a bit of info about their upcoming X-Men event in September called Battle of the Atom.

- It's written by Bendis, Aaron, and Wood... telling me that it takes place in All New X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, Wolverine & the X-Men, and adjectiveless X-Men.

- It's a 10 part crossover taking place in September and October. I'm guessing that means the four titles are double shipping ( :wall: ) with two one-shots as bookends. Fortunately, I buy all 3 titles titles so that won't be so bad, but still.

- It includes X-Men from past, present, and the future... including Molly Hayes, Deadpool, Lady Xorn, Ice-Hulk, Super Beast, and led by Kate Pryde.

An interesting question and answer:

Q: Will there be any character returns like Jean, Nightcrawler, out of the crossover?

Arune: Maybe!

With this being a time deal, I'm expecting Jean to come back and play off of young Jean, though it'd likely only be temporary.

And while I don't know if this is talking about the event or not:

"Jean has been going through some craziness, and the question is, Can she stay good?

Also, I can't find it anywhere but I SWEAR I read somewhere that said this event is the culmination of the time-traveling X-Men story that Bendis started in All new X-Men #1, but maybe I imagined that.

Also, while not exactly related to this event, this was stated in an article about Spider-Man 2099 coming to Superior Spider-Man:

"With Age of Ultron, with All-New X-Men, with other events going on in the Marvel Universe, something seems to be happening with time itself," the writer said. "Almost like there’s a grand design."

Last edited:
Husk is free from Wolverine & the X-Men, Chamber never really started in Adjectiveless X-Men or X-Men Legacy, and if M is now free (and Banshee is coming back as a dead guy in Uncanny Avengers) maybe we can get a Generation X reunion now :)

Yeah, I know :(

I know you said you dropped the book, so I'll let you know that with the way the current arc is going, it would probably just be Husk and Chamber at that reunion.

Since there doesn't seem to be any talk going on about this, Marvel's unveiled quite a bit of info about their upcoming X-Men event in September called Battle of the Atom.

- It's written by Bendis, Aaron, and Wood... telling me that it takes place in All New X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, Wolverine & the X-Men, and adjectiveless X-Men.

- It's a 10 part crossover taking place in September and October. I'm guessing that means the four titles are double shipping ( :wall: ) with two one-shots as bookends. Fortunately, I buy all 3 titles titles so that won't be so bad, but still.

- It includes X-Men from past, present, and the future... including Molly Hayes, Deadpool, Lady Xorn, Ice-Hulk, Super Beast, and led by Kate Pryde.

With this being a time deal, I'm expecting Jean to come back and play off of young Jean, though it'd likely only be temporary.

Also, I can't find it anywhere but I SWEAR I read somewhere that said this event is the culmination of the time-traveling X-Men story that Bendis started in All new X-Men #1, but maybe I imagined that.

Also, while not exactly related to this event, this was stated in an article about Spider-Man 2099 coming to Superior Spider-Man:
It bugs me to no end when I get dragged into buying issues of things I wouldn't otherwise. I want to skip the event entirely, but I always fear missing that one huge moment that actually means something to me. :(

Here's that Generation X quote:

Will the former Generation X characters get a chance for "some happiness"? "There definitely will be some happiness for those characters, because there needs to be something for us to crush," White deadpans. The editor adds that Chris Bachalo loves those characters, and often asks if there's a chance for a new project featuring them.

It's not a yes, it's not a no, it's not a 'not in the foreseeable future', it's not a 'if enough fans ask for it' or a 'if we get a good pitch'. To me, that sounds like something might be in the works but they aren't ready to reveal anything. Early stages maybe.

I'll take a wait and see approach with that crossover. It's a long time until September and October.

I also did read that Wolverine is still most likely getting killed off soon. So two questions:

#1 - What happens to WATXM?
#2 - Will anyone really miss him? I get the feeling that not many will be clamoring for his return....

I know you said you dropped the book, so I'll let you know that with the way the current arc is going, it would probably just be Husk and Chamber at that reunion.

Awe, man. Things not going well for Monet? :( If she dies, I don't see that lasting. Even if she does... Husk, Chamber, Jubilee, Blink, Penance (aka... Chamber and the Girls!) That's enough former students to make it work. Emplate's still around as the returning Generation X villain. They could play with the living Maggott slug to bring him back. Synch and Skin (and Maggott and Banshee) were returned during Necrosha, and a window was left open there for some Necrosha reanimates to return to life. Gaia's still out there forgotten about. Banshee's coming back as a Horsemen of Death in Uncanny Avengers... they can play with that. Emma's with Cyclops, but she can put in a role.

Still, I feel like Monet needs to be there.

I'll take a wait and see approach with that crossover. It's a long time until September and October.

I also did read that Wolverine is still most likely getting killed off soon. So two questions:

#2 - Will anyone really miss him? I get the feeling that not many will be clamoring for his return....
How can they kill him for real? He has three solo books and appears in pretty much everything else with an X in the title. I can't see it be anything but fake like the last time.

Yeah, apparently something big is happening in Cornell's Wolverine book, something the likes that should happen in a core X-Men book, that's going to reverberate through the whole X-Line, and it has something to do with Wolverine losing his healing factor and Sabretooth essentially putting a hit out on him as a result. I might look into it, depending on the budget.

Honestly, Wolverine's at his best right now than he's been in 10 or more years thanks to Aaron and Remender. I'd actually hate to see him die at the moment unless his inevitable quick return further's his return to awesomeness.

As for Wolverine & the X-Men, I still don't see that book lasting much longer. It sounds like it'll be a part of that crossover, but I'm wondering if it's going to be dropped after that at some point. His death could make that happen.

And while I don't know if this is talking about the event or not:

That future team is kinda underwhelming. Only interesting one really is Molly being on the team, but her design is weird:

1367070316.jpg

And do we really need yet another Xorn or another mutation for Beast? I'm very "meh" on this whole thing so far. And it was the Newsarama coverage that mentioned something about this bringing the past team to a head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"