X-Men - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I loved the last issue of Uncanny X-men. It might be my favourite single issue in Marvel Now so far. I felt like all my frustrations over the hypocrisy and arrogance of the Avengers in AvX were finally being vented. This issue shows why Cyclops is more of a hero than ever, even if people try to vilify him. He is simply my favourite character in comics right now. period. And I thought it would be Teen Jean!

So yeah, really good issue for Cyclops fans. I'm sure Avengers fans would hate it because they came across as totalitarian and dickish. I like the Avengers books, but I can't stand it when they make appearances in other places for some reason. Bendis is getting way better at writing Emma since she had some good lines, and even though she can't control her telepathy she's still a powerful ally to Cyclops. Magik had some moments too (magikbus :p). Other than Eva, I'm really not feeling any of the students.

Seeing Cyclops call the Avengers out on their hypocrisy and telling them to go to hell was great :woot:

Never thought I would see Cyclops the rebel with a cause. "We just took out the Avengers and we didn't even lift a finger. How do you think you'll do?"

Last edited:
This whole Jets & Sharks thing going on between the Avengers and X-Men is pretty obnoxious and just needs to end, because reading through that last issue I felt absolutely no sympathy for anyone, not Cyclops, not Cap, not the people caught in the crossfire, nobody.

I don't think you were supposed to feel sorry for them

I feel like we're back at New Avengers vs. Mighty Avengers... and it was old even back then.

I don't think you were supposed to feel sorry for them

Probably not, but this whole thing's just gotten old.

JewishHobbit said:
I feel like we're back at New Avengers vs. Mighty Avengers... and it was old even back then.
Marvel needs some rehab from it's heroes vs other heroes addiction.

Superheroes vs Superheroes is Marvels obsession. Not even Civil War, Schism or AvX is enough for them.

I much rather prefer seeing Superheroes face Supervillains but I the superhero fight thing gives marvel wood because of the sales.

I think what they need to do next time the superheroes have a little in-fighting is use it to set up all of the villains teaming up and taking them down while they are divided. Basically the big story would be the villains winning and starting to take over (kind of like they did in Old Man Logan), and the heroes having to get their **** together and become the good guys again after all of the in-fighting (which we all assumed Siege/Heroic Age was supposed to do). I don't know if this is anything like Age of Ultron is doing, but I would like to see this.

Thing is, they've done that. First with Secret Invasion and then with Siege. Once that was accomplished they just found different heroes to fight each other... in Schism's case, the X-Men... and then that wasn't enough so they put both sides of the X-Men against the Avengers. And now that that's worked out, they've created one branch of the X-Men to still fight with the Avengers AND the X-Men.

ARGH!!!!

Yeah that premise sounds pretty much what happened when the Avengers split up into New and Mighty and then Norman took over and had his villians in power

Oh god. Please let this trend end before the Fantastic Four and the FF tear one another apart.

I don't read any Justice League books right now, but has it started over there yet with JL vs JLA? If so, will JLI also jump in the mix?

Oh god. Please let this trend end before the Fantastic Four and the FF tear one another apart.
"The kids like you more than us now?! I'LL KILL YOU, LANG!"
"You'll find I'm harder to smack around than your heard-but-not-seen wife there, Richards!"

Has there been any news on what Marvel has planned for X-Men/Avengers 50th anniversaries this year.

I don't think it is likely at this point, but I would prefer that whatever the "official" 50th anniversary X-Men book is, it's written by Claremont. I feel like he has earned it. But, it will most likely be Bendis.

Now that you mention it, I would like to see Claremont write an anniversary issue. You just know he'd only make them play baseball and exchange banter for 20 pages, no matter how whacked out his writing may have gotten over the last decade. But that's a damn sight better than any wacky mish-mash some other writer would come up with. Anyone else remember how Uncanny #500 made absolutely no sense?

Now that you mention it, I would like to see Claremont write an anniversary issue. You just know he'd only make them play baseball and exchange banter for 20 pages, no matter how whacked out his writing may have gotten over the last decade.

I would actually really like that. X-Men bonding as a family could be the main story, and then throw in a few back-ups.

Any good x-men graphic novels out there? I really liked Endsong and I enjoyed the graphics - not so much with Warsong... I like really good graphics.
Check out the classic Dark Phoenix Saga. You can get that relatively cheap. If you wanna get caught up with the current X-Men from the past couple years check out:

Joss Whedon and John Cassady's Astonishing X-Men (it's always my first recommendation to new readers and it's been collected in various trades and collections)
Messiah Complex
X-Men: Manifest Destiny
Dark Avengers/X-Men: Utopia
X-Men: Second Coming
X-Men: Schism
Avengers vs. X-Men

I'm sure I'm missing something vital but I'm kinda in a rush. I can go back and look at some of my others lists I've put together later.

I don't read any Justice League books right now, but has it started over there yet with JL vs JLA? If so, will JLI also jump in the mix?
JLI ended like 6 months ago. So now JL is viewed as the "international/world" team and JLA is the local counterpart.

And no, it hasn't started yet. It's an event called Trinity War and it will take place this summer, involving Justice League, Justice League of America, Justice League Dark, and then the Trinity of Sin: Pandora, the Phantom Stranger, and the Question.

Details are scarce, though.

Thank you...

I am currently writing my own X-Men sequel to X-Men II: United. If anyone wants to read what i have so far, PM me. :)

Check out the classic Dark Phoenix Saga. You can get that relatively cheap. If you wanna get caught up with the current X-Men from the past couple years check out:

Joss Whedon and John Cassady's Astonishing X-Men (it's always my first recommendation to new readers and it's been collected in various trades and collections)
Messiah Complex
Avengers vs. X-Men

I'm sure I'm missing something vital but I'm kinda in a rush. I can go back and look at some of my others lists I've put together later.

Astonishing X-Men by Whedon really would be a fantastic intro point to X-Men at this point. Good call.

JLI ended like 6 months ago. So now JL is viewed as the "international/world" team and JLA is the local counterpart.

I knew their book had ended, but wasn't sure if the team was still technically together outside I the book.

And no, it hasn't started yet. It's an event called Trinity War and it will take place this summer, involving Justice League, Justice League of America, Justice League Dark, and then the Trinity of Sin: Pandora, the Phantom Stranger, and the Question.

Details are scarce, though.

So is the "trinity" of the Trinity War definitely the different Justice Leagues? After that free comic book day issue last year, I figured the trinity would be the Trinity of Sin.

Messiah Complex
Avengers vs. X-Men

A couple/few others I'd like to add:

-Morrison's New X-Men run was released in a few "Ultimate" volumes a few years ago and I think there a good investment for a interesting take on the team.

-Even though they have no bearing on the X-Universe I think Peter Milligan's X-Force & X-Statix is a cool look at the mutant situation and pop culture/celebrity.

Minus X-Treme X-Men I really liked the 2001-2004 era in the books (after the early-mid 90s of coures).

A few classics to check out:
Days of Future Past
God Loves, Man Kills
Mutant Massacre
Fall of the Mutants
Inferno

I think those stories are all in Graphic Novel form now.

So is the "trinity" of the Trinity War definitely the different Justice Leagues? After that free comic book day issue last year, I figured the trinity would be the Trinity of Sin.

It's the Latter.

I sat down recently and, just out of curiosity, started figuring out an "importance" run of X-Men comics. I was curious, if you cut out everything that isn't necessary, how much you'd actually have to read of the modern take on the X-Men, starting with Grant Morrison. This would be the start. I've been composing it as issues, but since tpbs are all the rage:

Grant Morrison's New X-Men run
Excalibur: Forging the Sword
X-Men: Day of the Atom
Astonishing X-Men: Gifted
Astonishing X-Men: Dangerous
House of M
Astonishing X-Men: Torn
Astonishing X-Men: Unstoppable
Messiah Complex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread