X-Men - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I didn't want them to bring Jean back, I am excited to see the lineup for this new book from Taylor! Hopefully we can get some of the new generations that have been screwed over by ResurreXion so far.

I just instantly fell in love with Jean's new design. It's fresh and looks like cool af battle armour, but is still a nod to one of her (many) iconic looks. I could see some cool cosplays of it happening. I didn't instantly connect with Teen Jean's redesign like this (as much as I still enjoy Jeen for what she is)
As much as I didn't want them to bring Jean back, I am excited to see the lineup for this new book from Taylor! Hopefully we can get some of the new generations that have been screwed over by ResurreXion so far.
Maybe Laura because he's writing ANW (a great series). Maybe Hellion if we're lucky.

Last edited:
I would LOVE to see the New X-Men students be used as true X-Men and not as back ground students.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they graduate during the Wolverine & the X-Men book? But they're still being used as students? Or am I remembering that wrong?

Hopefully Red will feature underused X-Men from the past. Dazzler, Long shot, Cecilia, Sage... I hope Psylocke is in this since Astonishing is just a maxi series.

I just instantly fell in love with Jean's new design. It's fresh and looks like cool af battle armour, but is still a nod to one of her (many) iconic looks.
Oof, I guess we gotta agree to disagree here. My first thoughts were literally: "A team led by the resurrected Jean? Tell me more. That outfit is absolutely horrible though." :oldrazz:

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yMTMvMjA3L29yaWdpbmFsL1hNUkVEMjAxODAwMV9EQzExX21vY2t1cEJsdWVBbHQuanBnPzE1MTAzMzI2MzM=

Marvel has released new information about the just-announced X-Men Red from writer Tom Taylor and artist Mahmud Asrar.

In X-Men Red, the newly resurrected adult Jean Grey will lead a new team of X-Men, which, according to Marvel, will hinge on "new uniforms, a new team headquarters, and exciting new characters."

“As an X-Men fan, as a Jean Grey fan, as a Mahmud Asrar fan, and as a Travis Charest fan, to be asked to write X-Men Red is a dream,” Taylor said in a statement. “The time is right for an X-Men book like this, and I'm very excited about the story we're telling in these pages. I'm excited for Jean Grey's vision for the world, and I can't wait for Marvel readers to meet our team of established fan-favorites and brand new mutants, and to see them in action. To write a core X-Men book is to walk in the footsteps of giants, so I'm hoping my secret mutant ability is sudden foot-growth.”

“Jean Grey has been one of my favorite characters ever since the 'Dark Phoenix Saga,' so I'm pretty excited to be a part of her return,” added Asrar. “The stories we plan to tell really capture the essence of the X-Men I read lovingly growing up. It’s just a delight to be working with this team. I have been working on many components of this book, including the designs of the characters old and new, and I haven't been this eager to see the response to this book in a long while.”

“Tom has captured the spirit of a quintessential X-Men book,” said series editor Mark Paniccia. “It’s got dynamic hero moments, great character interactions, and a surprise villain at the end. Mahmud is doing some of the best work of his career, going into this fully charged and designing cool new costumes for our eclectic team. I’m thrilled to have Travis on covers for this series. I’ve always thought of him as one of the industry’s best artists. It’s a real honor to have him as part of the X-Men Red crew.”

X-Men Red #1 is due out on shelves February 7.

https://www.newsarama.com/37307-new...rters-new-characters-highlight-x-men-red.html

Wow. How bold to have #1's cover be JUST her. Of course there will be variants but the main cover not featuring the team? Marvel is placing alot of bets on Jean

I haven't been this excited for an X-Men book in a long time. Give me some Maggott please :D

I just realized that all 3 X-men books will be led by female characters. 4 if we count Psylocke as the unofficial leader of Astonishing

X-Men has always been a pioneer as far as well developed females.

That cover is gorgeous. I love that the fire/phoenix(?) effect blends in with the red in her costume and her hair, making the blue of her upper body and head really pop. All against a white background. The red and blue are really bold.

New costumes? New headquarters? New characters? Oh my!

Last edited:
Wow. How bold to have #1's cover be JUST her. Of course there will be variants but the main cover not featuring the team? Marvel is placing alot of bets on Jean
I never thought I'd seen the day. I wonder how long this has been in the works for?
I just realized that all 3 X-men books will be led by female characters. 4 if we count Psylocke as the unofficial leader of Astonishing
Lol two of those women are Jean.

I'm glad marvel is giving the X-women their due, especially after a couple decades of Cyclops and Wolverine. Cant wait to see what Storm's solo has in store for her.

That cover is gorgeous. I love that the fire/phoenix(?) effect blends in with the red in her costume and her hair, making the blue of her upper body and head really pop. All against a white background. The red and blue are really bold.

New costumes? New headquarters? New characters? Oh my!

On point the first, Im totally with ya, jeans outfit looks great, armored but clearly an homage to the 90s suit, and the flames flowing into the red is a really cool effect

On the second point.... new costumes, new headquarters? Yeah, they know us x-fans like our flashy new stuff, its what basically sustained the franchise from like 96 to like 2006 lol

And we all know Marvel’s best female characters are all x-ladies, thats why the MCU has struggled to put out a female solo. If they owned the xmen, we mightve had storm, jean, or psylocke solos already. And with cyclops dead, xavier in between, and logan involved in some infinty stone business, theres no better leaders in their ranks (and the ladies are better leaders than wolvie anyway)

Wolverine as leader just neuters the character.

I'm not super sold on everyone getting new costumes. There are characters I want on the team that I don't want to get a new costume (Laura, Iceman). But I guess it depends on who's on the team since some characters (like Storm) could use a new design.

New Headquarters is interesting. I think everyone imagined Jean would inherit the school. But we all know everyone thinks Kitty is a doing a super awesome job as headmistress so that can't really happen. Maybe something in space?

The cover choices... I don't agree with. The cover of Phoenix Resurrection #1 should have featured Jean alone. While X-Men Red's should showcase the team, not just Jean. I hope the new X-Men members would have a staying power but I doubt it.

As for the new Hq, I wish all the X-Men would just stay in 1 mansion. I miss those days. The X-Men these days just feel so scattered.

The cover choices... I don't agree with. The cover of Phoenix Resurrection #1 should have featured Jean alone. While X-Men Red's should showcase the team, not just Jean. I hope the new X-Men members would have a staying power but I doubt it.

As for the new Hq, I wish all the X-Men would just stay in 1 mansion. I miss those days. The X-Men these days just feel so scattered.

when there's literally been dozens of X-men, it doesnt make sense to have everyone situated in the same mansion in NY

I miss the days when the X-Men were a set number of characters. And other X-Characters were on other X-Teams. That way you knew exactly who the X-Men were and who were NOT X-Men. That also made it feel more special when someone joined the team instead of having random X-Character show up for a few arcs as an X-Man and then leave as if they were never there without explanation and no one bats an eye (looking at you Firestar, Northstar, or really anyone since the mid-2000s). Having 27 different X-Men units has intensified that dramatically.

It made narrative sense during the Fraction days when the team was all collected on Utopia in an attempt to save the race. But it's not necessary any more. They need to streamline the team.

That also is the reason why there's like a zero new staple in the X-Men after the nine ties. While the likes of Emma and Magik already existed since the 80s so they were brand new. And while the likes of X-23 and Hope are copycats of an established character. I think Pixie and Armor could have been more popular and well established as a member of the X-Men now if they didn't abandon them. They are both like extras now. So I don't have high hopes for the new faces of X-Men Red especially its gonna be focusing on Jean.

when there's literally been dozens of X-men, it doesnt make sense to have everyone situated in the same mansion in NY

That was possible in the last decade, when all X-MEN squads were in one roof but now they are scattered ever since Schism.

Last edited:
That was possible in the last decade, when all X-MEN squads were in one roof but now they are scattered ever since Schism.
bc it fit the narrative during SF/Utopia days. When there was less than 200 mutants on earth and their enemies were trying to kill them all off, strength in numbers made sense. Post Schism, there are thousands of mutants out there and mutant issues are a global cause once again. It doesnt make sense to have everyone under one roof. Most of the X-men are at the mansion so I dont see why its an issue. Jean is likely taking her team to the West Coast and that'll be fine to offer something different

I just instantly fell in love with Jean's new design. It's fresh and looks like cool af battle armour, but is still a nod to one of her (many) iconic looks. I could see some cool cosplays of it happening. I didn't instantly connect with Teen Jean's redesign like this (as much as I still enjoy Jeen for what she is)

Maybe Laura because he's writing ANW (a great series). Maybe Hellion if we're lucky.

Laura would be logical, but isn't she on the Blue team, already? Anyway, Hellion and his teammates are all good candidates. Armor, Anole, and Oya also immediately come to mind as missing. And it would be cool to see Jean mentor Genesis.

Laura would be logical, but isn't she on the Blue team, already? Anyway, Hellion and his teammates are all good candidates. Armor, Anole, and Oya also immediately come to mind as missing. And it would be cool to see Jean mentor Genesis.

Wolverine isnt in Blue. It hasnt been confirmed but Taylor hinted that she will be in Red on Twitter

Is that a cover for X-Men: Red or a promotional image? I'd imagine they didn't want to reveal the team just yet.

Out of curiosity... what do you guys think of the O5 kids these days? I liked them initially as a temporary plot and then grew to hate them due to how long they dragged out their story. I'm still not huge on them, but I admit that I've really grown to like sorcerer Hank. I'd be fine with them killing off all the rest or sending them back home, but Hank is starting to come into his own as something OTHER than young Beast. Everyone else, I feel are still just boring copycats of their older selves.

Out of curiosity... what do you guys think of the O5 kids these days? I liked them initially as a temporary plot and then grew to hate them due to how long they dragged out their story. I'm still not huge on them, but I admit that I've really grown to like sorcerer Hank. I'd be fine with them killing off all the rest or sending them back home, but Hank is starting to come into his own as something OTHER than young Beast. Everyone else, I feel are still just boring copycats of their older selves.

Hank and Jean are the only breakouts. Cyclops is too whiny, Angel is underdeveloped and Bobby is redundant with the older version pretty much having the same character arc. I fear Jean will be redundant with the older version returning so that leaves Hank as the only real unique one and to be honest he is a much better character than his older self

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"