Inhumans ABC's The Inhumans - General Discussion (news, updates, speculation...) - Part 2

Yeah, I saw it at full price with an open mind wanting to back Marvel to the fullest.

All I can say is ... UGH.

Who are ABC's intended audience for this bland and poorly written series? Fans are going to be genuinely insulted by these watered down versions of the source material. Non-fans are going scratch their heads and be thoroughly unimpressed. Even newer Agents of SHIELD fans are going to recognize the connection but not care because the characters are completely shallow.

It's like watching the makers of a bad ABC soap opera tap a makeshift comic con cosplay group to put on a production on the cheap. It was actually cringe worthy especially if you know these characters from the books. Black Bolt has all the charisma of a wet sock and has been neutered to silly levels. ALL the royal family gets the same sad treatment. SPOILERS:
Blackbolt (a character who has gone toe to toe with The Thing and The Hulk) gets beaten down by a few pudgy Hawaiian cops. Then, after he violently hiccups a car careening down the street these cops walk him in like nothing happened??? Gorgon walks in to the ocean yelling for Triton like a moron and gets himself drown??? Karnak falls off a hill??? Medusa has her hair cut by regular barber shears but Maximus leaves stubble. Doesn't her hair grow and contract on command??? Crystal is neutralized by handcuffs and then by an angry lady in leather pants then sent to her room to pout???
WTF did I just watch indeed???

The first scene and Triton's only scene started off like bad General Hospital quality then it actually got interesting for the intros. Medusa's hair actually looked cool and Lockjaw was amazing. I like the look and the actress who plays Medusa. Everyone was OK except wet sock Blackbolt. Then, shallow writing just sunk everything fast. They can't put this to bed fast enough and get on with Agents of SHIELD.

Agreed.

And everything with the

surfers who pulled Gorgon out of the ocean was embarrassing.
Gorgon, a man with giant hooves, gets saved from drowning and it immediately cuts to him cracking open a few cold ones with a group of Hawaiian surfers. I know Buck is responsible for this, but why didn't anyone stop him? .

Pros and cons for Inhumans.

Pros:
-could work better as a TV show
-not a well known property to casuals
-would be seen as a risky move

Cons:
-other risky properties have worked e.g. Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, The Avengers (just for the sheer ambition and crossover)
-Previous examples prove casuals respond well to lesser known properties if the directors have a vision and little studio meddling

So if they burn this series off quickly or don't even bother showing the whole run, what is going to happen with AOS since that's only meant to return next year? Are they going to have to air it earlier than planned?

They must be airing AOS early as a palette cleanser.

They'll probably air all of it just to fill space. It's not like it's in a good timeslot to begin with.

The clipper scene was embarrassing. Medusa's greatest weakness is a dadgum electric razor.

Scott Buck is officially the worst Marvel TV producer in history.

This show is only 8 episodes. It will get a full run. Another season, depends on the ratings.

I gotta imagine the ratings will keep most folks away. Only diehard fans will be tuning in (if only to complain about it on their Youtube channel right after).

Not sure why it's set to air on Fridays.

Last edited:
I've said it before, I'll say it again: this is only happening because of Permutter's ego. Anyone more sane would have canned the project once the movie was cancelled, or at least rewritten it from square one around a TV budget. But no, he's got to try and force an Inhumans movie, even if its by making a TV show with an IMAX premiere.

can you elaborate on this? does this have a TV budget or a film budget?

I gotta imagine the ratings will keep most folks away. Only diehard fans will be tuning in (if only to complain about it on their Youtube channel right after).

Not sure why it's set to air on Fridays.

bc they have no faith in it. Friday is when shows are traditionally set out to die. It would make more sense to air it in a block with AoS or at least on consecutive nights

John Campea's Review:

[YT]MCy3Qqs-gwY[/YT]

Man, it is a bummer that this looks like it is not well done. Hopefully, by the end of the season it rises to the level of mediocre then maybe they can go back to the drawing board for a season 2. From the sounds of it there are some strong pieces, the cast for the most part, particularly Anson Mount but it needs a new showrunner, writing team, and costume designer.

I just can't get over the clipper scene with Medusa and the way it was shot.

The clipper scene was embarrassing. Medusa's greatest weakness is a dadgum electric razor.

Scott Buck is officially the worst Marvel TV producer in history.

Wait a minute: Medusa, the queen of the Inhumans, got taken down by a fraking razor? Really? I didn't watch the Inhumans, but the stupidity of that is making my head hurt. Ugh.

Man, it is a bummer that this looks like it is not well done. Hopefully, by the end of the season it rises to the level of mediocre then maybe they can go back to the drawing board for a season 2. From the sounds of it there are some strong pieces, the cast for the most part, particularly Anson Mount but it needs a new showrunner, writing team, and costume designer.

I feel like Marvel TV is usually good so if this does get renewed (unlikely) then those things will presumably happen. I wasn't interested in Agent Carter at all but that remains that only Marvel Studios production which I haven't watched. Inhumans will be the second.

Wait a minute: Medusa, the queen of the Inhumans, got taken down by a fraking razor? Really? I didn't watch the Inhumans, but the stupidity of that is making my head hurt. Ugh.
Yes, it was like an SNL parody. He just grabs a regular set of electric clippers. Like cheap electric clippers you'd find at a barber shop.

And it's done in slow motion showing her hair getting clipped off. It was so bizarre and goofy like WTH.

Man, I hope they do a riffrax of it.

I just can't get over the clipper scene with Medusa and the way it was shot.

If I were to rank my favorite and least favorite scenes, it would probably be among my least favorite (actually, I feel most interactions between Maximus and Medusa fall on that list). I agree the way it was shot (and the fact that they looked like normal clippers without any effort to make them look Inhuman or alien) is on that list. To me, the bigger issue is how unearned it felt. I don't own a watch and my phone was obviously off for the theater, but it felt like minute 30 at most. That should be a big deal. To me, it would have worked a lot better as maybe episode three. Late episode two at the latest with significant time with her using it effectively (as opposed to two scenes).

Now I don't think they could have effectively pulled that off. By all reports, they were still working on the hair effect less than a month ago and they only really needed it for two to three scenes with maybe 30 seconds of total screen time, so it clearly wasn't sustainable. But it still had no dramatic impact when it really needed to be a crucial scene.

Agreed.

And everything with the

surfers who pulled Gorgon out of the ocean was embarrassing.
Gorgon, a man with giant hooves, gets saved from drowning and it immediately cuts to him cracking open a few cold ones with a group of Hawaiian surfers. I know Buck is responsible for this, but why didn't anyone stop him? .

Being fair, *in the abstract*, that could work as a cool and character/setting establishing scene. Its just, Inhumans doesn't do any of the actual storytelling work to justify that, apparently. And indeed, kind of plays in the opposite direction insofar as it does anything.

I liked that scene because there was a sense of togetherness that worked. We get the sense that people know what Inhumans are by now and we've been shown that humans would inevitably hate them and that's not what we got at all. Given the opening scene and the discussion between the royal family after the rover was destroyed, I thought it was set up well for that moment.

That scene and what they were going for could have worked.

How it wound up on screen was an entirely different story.

Genuinely considering not watching this, the comics are so good and this just looks and sounds so awful.

Feige never would have allowed this had they been allowed to just be a movie like they shoulda been.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"