Across the Kraven-verse: How Sony Won the Superhero Cinematic Civil War Thread - Part 59

Status
Not open for further replies.
You Americans are making me drool....

Justice-League-Thanksgiving-1.jpg
Haha, this is a quality Thanksgiving setup. I want an invite. :cwink:

That was the best Christmas gift I got last year. A Holland Spidey movie I genuinely liked, having Dafoe and Molina back and seeing the Peters having a fantastic brotherly relationship. And Garfield got some closure for his TASM arc.

Is it a bad thing that I didn’t care for Spiderverse at all? NWH was much more focused and satisfying than the scattershot plot and gorgeous but distracting art design.

That was the best Christmas gift I got last year. A Holland Spidey movie I genuinely liked, having Dafoe and Molina back and seeing the Peters having a fantastic brotherly relationship. And Garfield got some closure for his TASM arc.

Is it a bad thing that I didn’t care for Spiderverse at all? NWH was much more focused and satisfying than the scattershot plot and gorgeous but distracting art design.

Different opinions are fine. But I fail to see how NWH's plot is much better, especially because it is trying to squash together two better pieces of Spider-man media (Spiderverse and PS4). About the only advantage that NWH has is nostalgia for the actors.

I also maintain that the Leap of Faith sequence is one of the best superhero sequences of the modern era. I will always be super impressed with them turning a comical gag into one of the great fist pumping moments.

America has football. We do it right.

Guess it depends. My family tends to be a Lions household, so you know, emotions tend to be different here.

Guys forgive me for this random observation, but Peanuts is still technically a comic so it fits, but I just realized something after years and years of watching it:

418c53c523d337ea3afd80ee1ef8df30.gif

Why the hell is Woodstock so excited about eating a fellow bird? It's the Silence of the Birds!

That is all.

Guys forgive me for this random observation, but Peanuts is still technically a comic so it fits, but I just realized something after years and years of watching it:

Why the hell is Woodstock so excited about eating a fellow bird? It's the Silence of the Birds!

That is all.
xulSMK4.jpg

Into the Spider-Verse is great but I think NWH is a case where it was just a clear advantage of having real actors playing out the parts since the latter just hit me way more emotionally. It further helps that they could play on some previously established stuff.

Peter Parker is also better than any of the derivatives and NWH has a better villain selection and execution.

That is all.
Maybe Woodstock is a raptor. :cwink: In fact, there is a species of hawk called, for good reason, the sparrowhawk.... :ninja:

Sparrow-hawk-standing-over-its-prey_Thorsten1970_Pixabay-4861049.webp

Into the Spiderverse was a decidedly middling film, imo. Fun, sure, but absolutely nothing like the amazing revelation you all are constantly describing it as.

The GOTG Christmas Special is amazing. That's it. That's the post.

But seriously, it is. It's crazy how much Mantis was fleshed out in 40 minutes, her and Drax actually got really great action scenes and impressive displays of power, The cinematography was stunning and the Kevin Bacon plot was just chef's kiss.

I feel these specials just might be the perfect vehicle to tell tight, character-focused stories. Would love to see feature-lenght, character-driven films dropping on D+ while the action spectacles keep getting theatre releases.

In short: I like it! Another!

The GOTG Christmas Special is amazing. That's it. That's the post.

But seriously, it is. It's crazy how much Mantis was fleshed out in 40 minutes, her and Drax actually got really great action scenes and impressive displays of power, The cinematography was stunning and the Kevin Bacon plot was just chef's kiss.

I feel these specials just might be the perfect vehicle to tell tight, character-focused stories. Would love to see feature-lenght, character-driven films dropping on D+ while the action spectacles keep getting theatre releases.

In short: I like it! Another!
Well that's a lie. :o

I liked it. Better then the usual stuff. Probably because there is little potty humor and Quill in general.

Are you sure about that cinematography with that... let's call it "lighting". :o

Kill TMNT Groot with fire.

Into the Spiderverse was a decidedly middling film, imo. Fun, sure, but absolutely nothing like the amazing revelation you all are constantly describing it as.
Do people call it a revelation? It takes a different approach then most superhero flicks these days, while also focusing on a POC and delving into that, without it simply being window dressing. It also captures what it means to gain great power and great responsibility as a kid, in a way the Tobey and Andrew's couldn't, because Miles doesn't look or come off like he's in his late 20s.

But I also think a lot of people just think it's a really good time. It's fun, with a great sense of humor and ridiculously awesome animation.

Last edited:
It was enjoyable enough, but I definitely wouldn't have much nice to say about the cinematography. Even by the standards of recent MCU projects, Werewolf By Night this is not.
The holiday special definitely has some, "Go Pro" energy. That or a CW/YT prank show. Compare that to...

3WwIXny.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"